[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Forums thoughts on Zappa?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: Zappa_Joe's_Garage.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Zappa_Joe's_Garage.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
Forums thoughts on Zappa?
>>
>>63729584
I don't know him well, but I always wondered if he wasn't a bit jealous of the Beatles.
They were experimenting new sounds and song structures but contrary to him they managed to combine it with popular success

I heard him say that the Stones were far better than the Beatles, and there was the "we're only in it for the money" cover
>>
>>63729584
Mostly shit music with a few exceptions. Even shittier personality and opinions
>>
>>63729584
A bitter asshole that perhaps could've been king if he reigned in his literal autism
>>
>>63729911
He's the reason for the still ongoing "The Shaggs aren't that bad" bullshit

50 fucking years and people are still defending it because Zappa called it better than the Beatles
>>
>>63729820
Don't think he ever really cared for popular/commercial success. He strived for perfection, but others' opinions never seemed to influence his direction. Everything he did with The Mothers showed just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvXWabiMg-M
>>
>>63730039
Maybe not commercially but he definitely had some sort of animosity towards the Beatles
>>
>>63730052

My guess is that some of that animosity stems from his brief work with Lennon, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1cx-Q88cxw
>>
>>63730052
Oh, absolutely.

"I didn't hate them. I actually like two or three of their songs. I just thought they were ridiculous. What was so disgusting was the way they were consumed and merchandised."

http://www.afka.net/Articles/1984-04_Capitol_2.htm
>>
>>63730144

Jesus Zappa no one cares. No one is impressed that you DARE to criticize Lennon by droning on and on in some pointless story so you can hear your voice as much as possible.

There's no way Zappa didn't sit home all day smelling his own shit.
>>
ITT: SAMEFAG GENERAL
>>
>>63730379
I really hate neo /mu/.

Old /mu/ loved the shit out of Zappa.
>>
>>63730399

old /mu/ was wrong
>>
An excellent musician who made excellent music.

/thread
>>
>>63730503

A self absorbed proto-redditor who thought he was too cool for this planet made technically skilled but boring unlistenable music that hid its lack of substance behind "humor"
>>
Just a genious.
>>
>>63730537
lol shut up fatty
>>
>>63730537
But he said lyrics are innecesary in music.
>>
I respect him as a musician and composer, I think he is a great guitarist. However I've never really been able to get into his stuff. He doesn't have any real 'hits' does he?
>>
>>63730537
>>63730575

Almost forgot how he had to make up for not being a genuinely interesting nutjob like Beefheart with a forced tryhard quirkster persona
>>
>>63730597
Just go in order of publication, early stuff is easier and more catchy.
>>
>>63730636
Thanks, Joey
>>
>Waka waka!
>Bananas!
>Nine minute long 11/8 tuneless guitar solo!
>Crazy mustache!
>Your favorite bands sucks!
>Don't clap at my shows!
>I'm mad now for no reason!
>I only listen to le blues and classical!
>Holds up spork!
>Woozle wazzle!

Hey guys aren't I just as crazy and interesting as Captain Beefheart?
>>
>>63730685
Whatever you say Garrett
>>
>>63730685
It's funny because Beefheart was nothing without Zappa.
>>
>>63730728

Yea and Brian Wilson was nothing without Mike Love right ;)
>>
>>63730760
>Knowing nothing about music history
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
i dont know a hell of a lot of zappas stuff but the two main dudes from the turtles joined the mothers of invention after the turtles split up and when they left mothers of invention they called themselves flo and eddie and ill be fucked if they dont have some fantastic tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZws_6kVNVg

im not saying thats a "great song" because it isn't but it actually is pretty great.

but what im saying is, if these guys learned everything they knew from zappa he must be pretty cool
>>
File: xgz9nkR.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
xgz9nkR.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>63730760
>>
>>63730379
Can't you see that everyone has a different name though?
>>
I have mixed feelings about Zappa. He was very sharp and pointed in his cynicism, but for me it gets tiring. He had a real contempt for his audience. What's ironic to me is that he disavowed drugs but his music (like let's say Absolutely Free) is the kind of avant-wank I only seem to enjoy while stoned. There's this combination of elements that only excites me in an abstract sense. He disdained tunefulness, sincerity, meaning, whatever. I don't care if Beefheart couldn't have recorded without Zappa because Beefheart wins on so many other grounds other than being mentally organized and technically proficient. Still, I find his early stuff was good to listen to in my teenage leisure hours.
>>
I remember an impersonation of Bob Dylan by his band. That was hilarious
>>
>>63731035
Flakes from Sheik Yerbouti. Fucking great song.
>>63730399
Old mu sounds better
>>
>>63731035
TAKE IT AWAY, BOB
>>
>>63730914
This has to be one of the greatest gifs of all time. Just fucking timeless.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.