[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hip Hop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10
File: lone wolf and cub.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
lone wolf and cub.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
I need some more hip hop in my life because I'm tired of listening to Nas, GZA, A Tribe Called Quest, Dead Prez and Looptroop Rockers. I need something similar. Could anybody post something that is just fun to listen to?
>>
>>63570255
Riff Raff
>>
>>63570255

Check out the hip hop catalog for Om Records. They've always got some good talent, especially if you like the Tribe's style of jazzy hip hop
>>
Listen to Denzel Curry's new album Imperial
>>
>>63570367
jazzy hip hip is my favorite, Looptroop especially and Tribe do it very well
>>
>>63570255
Innercity Griots
The Pharcyde
Black Moon
De La Soul if you actually haven't.
Gravediggaz
Jeru The Damaja
Organized Konfusion
Souls of Mischief
>>
>>63570255
Try listening to some TLOP, OP (Original Pablo). It's bloody brilliant
>>
File: om hip hop soul sessions.jpg (113 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
om hip hop soul sessions.jpg
113 KB, 700x700
>>63570443

I would grab pic related then
>>
>>63570255
Varför i helvete lyssnar du på Looptroop? Skräp, bara skräp
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-25-17-54-56.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-25-17-54-56.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
This album tbhfam
>>
>>63570628
I'm not from Sweden, bro. I like the instrumentals of Looptroop songs like Still Looking, Get Ready, Family First and most of their other songs. If you have any group recommendations feel free to share.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (257 KB, 1074x1080) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
257 KB, 1074x1080
>>63570255

You will love pic related, OP.

>>63570510
This guy speaks the truth.
>>
>>63570255
Jurassic 5 famo
>>
File: Scarface - The Diary [Front].jpg (210 KB, 818x800) Image search: [Google]
Scarface - The Diary [Front].jpg
210 KB, 818x800
>>63570255

Have you heard of the southern legend? If you like this album check out his other masterpiece The Fix, or Mr. Scarface is back.
>>
>>63570443

If that's the case I recommend you listen to Ghru's jazzmatazz series. If you like instrumentals scope out Madlib Shades of Blue, one of my favorites and a classic in its own right.
>>
>>63570255
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWKLuwR_bFw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUxLyl1Ucmg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jId1L0gmoDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wljqJ6AUKts
Try some of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWgU5vpUOTI&list=PLfZAiE46E9lePS74sylIVjPjfl6GWXqqV
>>
File: dr. octagon.jpg (25 KB, 296x296) Image search: [Google]
dr. octagon.jpg
25 KB, 296x296
>>
>>63570255
>>63570510
LA jazz rap:
Busdriver - Temporary Forever
Busdriver - Cosmic Cleavage
Busdriver - Fear of a Black Tangent
Slum Village - Fan-tas-tic Vol 2
J Dilla - Welcome 2 Detroit
Quasimoto - The Unseen
Kendrick - TPAB
FlyLo - You're Dead

chicago jazz rap:
Common - Be
Mick Jenkins - The Water(s)

various east coast shit:
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
ODB - Return to the 36 Chambers
Ghostface - Fishscale
Inspecta Deck - Uncontrolled Substance
El-P - Fantastic Damage
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire - Lost in Translation
U-God - Golden Arms Redemption
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
>>
Young Thug - Slime Season 3
>>
>>63570510
nice recs
>>
Can anyone recommend me stuff that's similar to Danny Brown?
>>
>>63570255
Milo - So The Flies Don't Come
Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
Pusha T - My Name Is My Name
Michael Christmas - What A Weird Day
Busdriver & Radioinactive with Daedelus - The Weather
Mick Jenkins - Trees & Truths
Freddie Gibbs - Shadow of a Doubt
Father - I'm A Piece Of Shit
Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal
>>
>>63572302
Danny Brown is pretty unique, but I think his banger tracks have some general feel in common with stuff produced by El-P. So, go for some El-P solo work (I like Cancer4Cure), Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music, or Run the Jewels (I prefer RTJ2).
>>
Hey guys, when you listen to a hip hop record for the first time, do you read the lyrics along online and shit... Or just chill and enjoy?
>>
File: 1458886545731.gif (3 MB, 200x155) Image search: [Google]
1458886545731.gif
3 MB, 200x155
>>63573542

a lot of the stuff I listen to doesn't have an official lyrics sheet posted online most of the time.'

Personally, I prefer instrumental music over lyrical music, mostly because lyrics more often than not narrow the interpretive scope of a given piece. Also, especially with rap, the lyrics can often become very dated as cultural, social and political references lose their relevancy to people born or raised later or in another environment. It's very hard to find a track with raps that are truly "timeless" and most supposedly timeless tracks are remembered more for the relevance they used to have or for the delivery.

My ideal hip hop album is usually something that is 2/3's instrumental tracks and 1/3 rap tracks and where the raps themselves are either devoid of pop culture references or where the pop culture references are to things that are fairly universal and are unlikely to be forgotten. Usually this is a common album to find on the studio albums of actual DJ's or bands who actually have a DJ who's the central focus.

While I definitely like political shit in my lyrics, these too risk becoming dated as the political problems of the time fade away. Like rap songs complaining about white cops beating black kids. I don't feel this is as relevant now than in the 90's, as much as #blacklivesmatter kiddies want to pretend this is still 1991.
>>
I'm listenining to 102.9 The Bomb. The radio station has song request on, but I don't have a phone to text in my requests. Oh well. You can though.
>>
Check out Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys

Favorite hip hop album, very fun
>>
File: history-will-absolve-me.jpg (34 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
history-will-absolve-me.jpg
34 KB, 400x400
>>63571591
>>63571122
seconding these, especially Dr Octagon. Also, check out the first wave of Wu tang solo albums. Everything up until Wu Tang Forever was excellent.
>>
>>63573897
>My ideal hip hop album is usually something that is 2/3's instrumental tracks and 1/3 rap tracks and where the raps themselves are either devoid of pop culture references or where the pop culture references are to things that are fairly universal and are unlikely to be forgotten. Usually this is a common album to find on the studio albums of actual DJ's or bands who actually have a DJ who's the central focus.

Mind to share some of your favorites hip hop records? I'm interested in this aesthetic.
>>
>>63570510
This. Good list
>>
>>63574069
Take me to your leader almost fits this
>>
>>63570255

If you like Illmatic and Liquid Swords you should listen to Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
>>
Check out 803 The Clique
>>
File: IMG_20160207_020116.jpg (86 KB, 400x585) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160207_020116.jpg
86 KB, 400x585
Surprise no ones mentioned this yet
>>
well if that kind of hip hop is all you like, maybe you should try transitioning out. listen to some later 90s ny rap like the lox and jay z. maybe some g funk too. that should open you up to more.
>>
>>63574069

A close example of what I'm talking about would probably be some of DJ Krush's albums which are kind of a mix of purely instrumental beats, R&B and rap tracks.

Really, that kind of eclectic mixture of styles and elements where the central focus is on the DJ's production seems common in the "trip hop" scene these days. But I think all hip hop albums can be divided into at least two broad categories: those which are music-centric or those which are rap-centric. The central place of rap or the MC in many studio albums today is one reason why one of my music teachers doesn't consider rap music to be "music" in a sense.

When it comes to pop culture references, I usually remember what my art teacher in high school taught us about how pop art is supposed to be done, that is that the figure in the pop art piece doesn't have to be someone anyone knows anything about, but just has to be recognizable. For example, a portrait of Marilyn Monroe is immediately more recognizable than one of Keanu Reeves, but most people today probably know very little about Marilyn Monroe's life and career today, even though they wear all these t-shirts of her face. But that's not really important. In music, I think a similar principle applies. A rap song that references Bugs Bunny is less likely to become dated than say a rap song that references Parks & Recreation. A good example of pop cultural references done right in rap music I think was Ugly Duckling's Journey to Anywhere, because most of the pop culture references in the lyrics were to things like Looney Tunes and shit, stuff that will probably always be recognizable even to those who probably have never seen a whole Looney Tunes cartoon.
>>
File: 1429058017991.gif (1 MB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
1429058017991.gif
1 MB, 480x272
>>63573897
>Personally, I prefer instrumental music over lyrical music, mostly because lyrics more often than not narrow the interpretive scope of a given piece.
>narrow the interpretive scope of a given piece.

That's the stupidest shit I ever heard. That makes no sense at all, infact it's the exact opposite. If there are things that go over your head you're supposed to either ignore it because you can grasp the other parts without breaking the narrative flow or take a proactive approach of understanding it by researching the lyrics.

>don't talk about politcal issues because it'll become dated

You're acting as if most people even listen to older music. How much blues or soul albums have you heard? What's going on isn't dated at all.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.