[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About two weeks ago, someone created a thread about a concept
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: have a sweet trip.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1200) Image search: [Google]
have a sweet trip.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1200
About two weeks ago, someone created a thread about a concept they'd named "brother and sister albums," by which they meant albums that sat on opposite ends of the same spectrum.

He used Deathconsciousness and Velocity : Design : Comfort as an example, saying "...Deathconsciousness is slow, dark, heavy, while Velocity : Design : Comfort is fast, poppy, upbeat, dreamy."

Because I could not reply to this person's thread at the time, I generated a response, pasted it into a text file, and saved it to my desktop.

Here it is:
This is an interesting idea, and too an interesting pairing. I can envision them being brother and sister, though for different reasons.

Deathconsciousness to me is about resigning oneself to death. People say it's insincere, and I suppose it is, but similarly one can only insincerely resign oneself to death, as it's hard to resign oneself to something as alien and unfamiliar as death.

One can feign comfort with the finality, but those will always be feints, never elevated to sincerity because death's finality is death's and death's alone. One can't be comfortable with something one hasn't experienced.

V:D:C to me is about a girl trying to inspire humanity in a person who has abandoned it and resigned himself to cold inanimation.

That's how I interpret the constant meshing of Valerie's soft, humane voice with the nihilistic and cold glitch patterns.

So in that sense they're brother and sister.

One is about abandoning humanity, while the other is about inspiring humanity.

In any case, I'd like to facilitate this discussion. Tell me: What albums do you consider brother and sister, and why?
>>
>>63542735
>One can't be comfortable with something one hasn't experienced.
That's not true at all so this whole post blows donkey dicks
>>
>>63542735
>>63542768
wew lads
>>
>>63542768
I completely disagree, an exercise aided by the fact that your post is wholly unsubstantiated.
>>
SILY and Endtroducing easily
Both work in the same genre
Both have a urban, moving atmosphere
But whereas Endtroducing has a dark, brooding inner-city night feel, Since I Left You has a tropical, sunshine feel, also with feeling of traveling over the globe.
>>
File: I3LeJ3Hl.jpg (48 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
I3LeJ3Hl.jpg
48 KB, 640x616
>>63542735
fucking wow
>>
>>63542735
wew fucking ladie

stop
>>
The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers and The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails are pretty much siblings.

They're both about how low you can get, claustrophobic, heavy, industrial (THB to a lesser extent), mention/talk about disease and convey a really dark, hopeless vision.
However, NIN focus on the individual while MSP focus on mankind as a whole. Curiously, they were also released in the same year, and Richey was a Reznor fanboy iirc.
>>
I think it's hilarious that the people here are wicked pretentious while being completely incapable of using actual musical terms when describing music.
>>
>>63542871
SILY remains on my backlog, waiting for a proper spring morning for me to get a first listen.

That said, I think there's an obvious, better example here: Metaphorical Music. I don't really think that Endroducing and SILY should be categorized in the same genre anyway.
>>
>>63543034
There's nothing pretentious about me recognizing what separates me from pleb normies.
>>
Dopethrone and Loveless
>>
>>63543036
>hasn't listened to SILY
please stop
>>
>>63543036
He's comparing them because they're both almost entirely made out of samples, not on the turntablism aspect.
>>
>>63543124
There's a lot of /mu/core that I haven't listened to, because when I first came here, with the intent to discover music, I explored /mu/core appropriately, not like a mindless drone.

Once /mu/core exposed me to a sound I found particularly interesting, I explored it in greater depth.

What does this mean? Well, for starters, it means that I have actual taste, and that I'm not fucking stupid, and that while you've been wasting your time listening to the same pedestrian shit that everyone else here listens to, I've been delving deeper, finding more obscure treasures worth my endeavor.

I've ignored SILY among several other /mu/core albums and I don't regret it in the least, because my taste is exponentially better for it.

You're excused from my thread.

>>63543222
I suppose so. I honestly shouldn't have even given my opinion, considering that I haven't listened to SILY anyways.
>>
>>63543275
>You're excused from my thread

lmao

Everything else is on point though.
>>
>>63543124
SILY is overhyped garbage

>b-but muh thousand samples

Fuck off
>>
>>63543275
>you're excused from my thread
fucking kek
>>
>>63542735
How are you today unty?
>>
>>63543316
>>63543389
From my threads, I will excuse anyone that facilitates and/or provokes the discussion of matters that are in no sense related.

Speaking of which, stop deviating from the discussion. I don't care about if a post made you laugh. That's not important.

>>63543447
I'd be better if you'd stop deviating from my designated discussion topic.
>>
>>63543478
hahah this is actually funny.

don't you have a subreddit to moderate?
>>
how newtrip autist stfu
>>
>>63543582
You clearly don't enjoy intellectual discourse. We'd both be better served if you just left.

Stay, and I'm going to get mad, and that's when things get ugly for you.
>>
jesus christ, everybody hates unty. like there's some pretense to his ramblings but at least he's developing a perspective. i don't see you all discussing music like he does. my post will add to the number of unique posters. i guess he's a fag for having a trip. who knows.
>>
Mount Eerie and Just Another Diamond Day
They both focus on people finding a sense of place through some sort of harmony with nature. Both are ethereal, but while Mount Eerie is more existential and dark, JADD is light and soothing.
>>
>>63543705
ono if he gets angry he shall slay me with his powerful katana blade oh shittt

you're a joke
>>
>>63543914
Get the fuck out of my thread right now.
>>
File: 1453825536959.gif (160 KB, 500x720) Image search: [Google]
1453825536959.gif
160 KB, 500x720
>>63542802
You're a pseudo-intellectual with no evidence supporting your own claim either so shut the fuck up
>>
>>63544164
this guy tho. uses trips and everything. obviosly better lisen to him.
>>
>>63544418
It's not a foreign claim.

It takes seconds to look up the word comfort and derive its meaning.
I did it myself.

comfort - a state or situation in which you are relaxed and do not have any physically unpleasant feelings caused by pain, heat, cold, etc.

So the conditions that inform a person's level of comfort are relaxation, pleasantness, and level of pain, heat, cold, and "etc."

An event or situation without precedent presents no means for one to accurately infer details pertaining to any of the above conditions.
>>
File: 1453389930912.png (225 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1453389930912.png
225 KB, 500x375
>>63543275
You cannot say your taste is exponentially better from not listening to SILY and other /mu/core albums if you've never heard them, that's fucking retarded. Also, you seem like a pretentious dickhead by spouting your obscure treasure rhetoric bullshit. No wonder you're a tripfag lmao.
>>
>>63543034
>implying music theory really matters if you're not making the music
>>
>>63544593
But we've all died before you fucking dipshit.

>hurr durr nothing above nothing below
>>
>>63542735
Fuck you I wanna quit coming here but every now and then a thread like this pulls me back in
I really want to relisten to V:D:C again with this in mind.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.