[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gaining more followers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1458709090826.gif (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1458709090826.gif
27 KB, 200x200
So I'm a dj/producer in my town and I'm trying to get more followers as I've been around the local circuit for like 3 years now. I do SoundCloud mixes but and people say the music and mixes are good but I'm not getting a lot of hits. How do you guys broadcast yourself more and get more followers? I was thinking about printing out some small flyers and leaving cds on cars at the local colleges. I feel like this is autistic though
>>
>>63541038
if your music was so good you'd know

so: get better and better and better
>>
>>63541038
ask a local student radio to play some of your songs
>>
>>63541038
Stop doing DJ mixes.
>>
>>63541038
>thinking /mu/ has the answers
no but seriously my suggestion is if you want to gain local support, find a couple friends or other local dj's producers then find a venue which is looking for live music and put on a little night, itll probably be disastrous at first but just try and stick at it and if the night is most importantly fun and also has good music then word will spread eventually and itll gradually grow. probably more effective than the cd idea.

unfortunately /mu/ soundcloud threads arent that receptive to mixes because people barely listen to a minute long track in full never mind a full mix, but theyve been good for promoting my beats, but again, not really specific to the local area so it may also may not be the best solution.
>>
>>63541038
Make real music
>>
>>63541340
This

Do something different, dj mixes are crap everyone can do it, is just a game for most of people( i know la serious for you)even my fucking 40yr virgin brother has mixtapes you not gonna impress nobody with dj mixes
>>
>>63541038
live shows, do live shows...any of them black partys, birthday partys to clubs to pubs
pay to people marketing your music,
buy adversiting spots
>>
>>63541883
*block parties
>>
my friend is probably one of the biggest dh's in my city and he made it cause he just took every damn gig there is...and he still does
>>
Nobody listens to DJ mixes, faggot

What you do takes no talent and sure it probably sounds pleasing because you're nicking someone else's ideas, but that's why it's shit in reality.

Of course your friends are gonna say it sounds nice.
>>
>>63541340
>>63541797
>>63543327
ITT: people who do not understand the concept of DJ'ing.

id love to stick you guys in front of two technics with some records and see how easy you think it is. i agree theres been some technological developments such as 'controllers' with sync button but there's n incredible amount of skill involved in beatmatching, transitioning, and balancing, and EQ'ing tunes. without even delving into the skill that is known as turntablism. whether you respect DJ's or enjoy the music is irrelevant you've literally just shown your ignorance as to what real DJ'ing entails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtw2-kL32YM

theres an example of some incredibly skilled DJ'ing, whether the music is to your taste on not, just honestly ask yourself, is that easy? could you do it?

i said my piece, im out.
>>
File: whittling-dan.jpg (70 KB, 612x459) Image search: [Google]
whittling-dan.jpg
70 KB, 612x459
>>63544183
>implying this is what you're actually doing
>>
>>63544374
>implying i said i did.

im not being baited by this, just merely pointing out people saying DJ'ing is unskilled is weird if they seem to think its as one anon put it 'nicking someone else's ideas'. funny picture tho. theres no reason for us to be so unreasonable with eachother.
>>
>>63544495
People referenced the skill of DJ's in the context of making "DJ mixes" and putting them on soundcloud. Which not only takes less skill but is less interesting than say—writing and arranging a good, original song.
>>
>>63544620
we have no idea about OP's DJ'ing credentials to be fair, he could be extremely talented and on his way to being as good and creative with DJ'ing as the video i posted. its pure assertion that he's bad or that putting them on soundcloud makes them bad. writing and arranging a song may not be something OP is interested in, he might just like the idea of DJ'ing and i think its a bit weird everyone felt the need to instantly shit on him for wanting to. i feel like im being pretty reasonable here.
>>
>>63541038
>soundcloud mixes
well there is your problem. maybe have a few promo mixes. Other than that, DJ's only gain popularity by writing music. If you want likes, then make music
>>
>>63544183
doesnt matter how good you dj, people just want to rave to shitty progressive house tracks, trap, and dubstep. You could prolly play at ultra and only use the fader and sync button and everyone would think ur GOAT
>>
>>63544944
thats not true at all, i mean for a large part it is, but there are people who are really into the music. im less it these days but i went through a massive techno/general dance music phase not so long ago. i fdont enjoy clubs and find them pretty intolerable places but i would go to events where there was much more of an emphasis on the music and i would go to see good DJ's who i respected on a technical level. and this may surprise you but i wasnt the only person there!
>>
Talk to everyone but don't seem too eager. Or give yourself a particular aesthetic. Or don't be a fucking DJ because they are cancerous. Up to you.
>>
>>63545047
i hear you out, i do prefer certain DJs over others. I love me some good psytrance DJs but they dont exist around STL.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.