[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you find that sometimes you appreciate an album more when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: MI0001717667.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0001717667.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
Do you find that sometimes you appreciate an album more when you listen to others?
For instance:
Bought Isn't Anything after listening to Loveless, thought it was absolute shit.
>listens to more noise pop (JAMC, Mercury Rev, Stereolab etc.)
Think it's pretty good.
>>
>>63409104
I believe that after you listen to a certain genre for a while you start to understand what tropes define that genre and grow to appreciate them. Thus you become more prone to enjoy more albums within that genre. It has happened to me tons of times but I'm not sure if any of you feel the same way.
>>
>>63409169
Yeah, I feel that way as well.
>>
>>63409227
Damn, glad to know I'm not the only one that feels that way.
>>
>>63409169
has anyone ever experienced the opposite? i.e. the more you listen to a genre, the more you realize a formerly loved album is just sloppy/derivative and now you don't enjoy it as much
>>
>>63409319
I guess it can go both ways, I've felt the same way about many albums in the post-rock genre but I almost enjoy anything under the footwork label.
>>
>>63409319
That's an interesting question. For me, I usually just grow tired of a genre all together, especially things like grunge.
>>
bump, we need to discuss music listening
>>
>>63409104
yo tell me how to listen to this album, I love the first 4 tracks but hate the rest, tracks 5 and 6 are ok I guess, but the 2nd half kills me
>>
File: 1451704303474.gif (1018 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1451704303474.gif
1018 KB, 480x270
>try loveless
>dont really like it at all
>months later
>try Ceres & Calypso
>absolutely love the textures and the melodies
>now exploring shoegaze with a new found appreciation
Its kinda neat. Discovering a fondness for a genre of music, especially one that didnt click right away, is a very exciting feeling
>>
>>63409319
Siamese Dream was like that for me. When I first discovered it in school, it sounded so awesome and unique.

Then I started getting into shoegaze, and going back to SD I realised how much Corgan had lifted from those bands. I still like it, but it lost the other-worldly quality that I once thought it had.
>>
>>63409104
is still think this album is just okay

but you made me realize is a 1,000 times better
>>
>>63409710
Are you me?>>63409785
>>
>>63409871
Did not mean to link the 2nd post kek
>>
>>63409687
The first thing is to not listen to the album like a Loveless precursor. They are stylistically different in many aspects, so if you really love Loveless-era MBV then you'll be kinda disappointed.
Another thing I can say is that you got to also keep in mind the dated nature of it (like the drum sounds) and listen to it as a noise pop (instead of shoegaze) album.

Also Several Girls Galore is the only track that I don't particularly enjoy in the second half, but tracks such as Feed Me With Your Kiss, You Never Should and I Can See It, are all stand-outs to me. I especially love the melodies and textures in the last two tracks I mentioned.
>>
>>63409785
OP here:
completely agree with that. Happened to me in a sense, though I still really enjoy Siamese Dream
>>
File: R-32662-1221896955.jpeg.jpg (39 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
R-32662-1221896955.jpeg.jpg
39 KB, 600x600
I guess another thing I can ask is what album got you instantly hooked on a genre?
>Only listened to alt. rock and things like that
>Started to appreciate electronic music as a whole after this
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.