[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: 1455362248186.jpg (44 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
1455362248186.jpg
44 KB, 300x297
Previous thread: >>63212329

Purple sound edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go tohttp://www.rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client herehttps://hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloudlink is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
what does /prod/ think of the FB-01?
>>
>>63253381

Had one years ago as a cheap multi-timbral synth - sold it and kept my Evolution EVS-1 for FM stuff but it's ok if you use an editor with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlIhNTxXrN0
>>
Having some fun with the blofeld in multi mode
https://clyp.it/1ijb3xho
>>
File: zach-hill.jpg (65 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
zach-hill.jpg
65 KB, 500x375
how do i tune my snare to sound like zach hill's?
is there a better place to ask than here?
>>
https://clyp.it/lgbm52pc

Does this sound like a Sung Tongs/Feels B-side to anyone else?
>>
>>63254314
Yea Zach Hill.
>>
https://clyp.it/0xcll1xj

Any feedback please?
>>
>>63255362
do you know his email by chance?
>>
nice lunga
>>
>>63255563
pretty good sounds a bit too looped though imo. maybe add some variations to the drums. Like the different sections though
>>
I'm trying to create beats like the one in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM44yCBkpGc

Does anyone know how I can make my drums sound so crisp like that? Also, does anyone have any tips in general on creating shit like this?
>>
>>63254314
snare off, tune it waaaaay down
he said something about it in the pitchfork interview
>>
File: 1448383266945.jpg (25 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1448383266945.jpg
25 KB, 500x370
I just got sylenth1 and massive what are some good presets/packs to download?
>>
>>63255602
[email protected] :^)
>>
>>63255810
The only thing you'll ever need is the init patch you massive pussy.
>>
>>63255660
I'd try to use some saturation, compression with a slow attack, and parallel compression with a fast attack
>>
>>63255810
I generally look on youtube for specific sounds I want to recreate, and make the preset myself while watching the video. At least that way you get some understanding of how the preset works
>>
I have a fairly mainstream/generic track, will /prod/ shit on me if I post it here for feedback
>>
>>63256645
yes

nah man, go ahead, show us the track!
>>
>>63256739
okay

https://clyp.it/bbhwvhtk

It's not finished, some of the synths are a bit shitty and not really mixed... There will hopefully be vocals too at some point
>>
>>63256841
Oh and I'm replacing the shitty piano with a real one when I get around to it
>>
>>63253381
Pretty decent for a preset box. It's got two 48-patch banks for custom sounds loaded in via sysex. The factory presets are pretty cheesy but you can get some of them to sound good if you know how to process them with effects.
>>
How do I get that lo-fi kind of sound in electronic tracks? Like burial, paul kalkbrenner, kolsch, etc

I've tried adding noise but no matter how I process it it ends up sounding messy and not at all what I want
>>
https://clyp.it/a3ieltpd

I got bored so I made this loop from rubbing bubblewrap against my mic and granulating toy guitar samples.

Any tips for mastering something like this or how to continue it?
>>
how do i find vocal samples?
i sample records all the time but i never find any that are useful.
>>
File: g1pa62hq46me9t0ljp2t.jpg (19 KB, 320x223) Image search: [Google]
g1pa62hq46me9t0ljp2t.jpg
19 KB, 320x223
>Things you can say about your DAW but not your girlfriend.
>>
>>63258745
vinyl distortion in ableton is pretty nice, also mid-heavy eq and distortion in general

I sometimes use a slight bitcrush on the reverb channel which also sounds bretty lo-fi
>>
>>63259377
hmm that's a nice idea, I've been having a lot of trouble finding a bitcrusher that works on my computer though ;_;
>>
https://clyp.it/0yab4omz

Adventures in overproduced rock with pianos and organs.
>>
do you use pirated kicks and claps? can you be sued for that? how can they even tell? should this be a major concern for someone making beats with pirated bass drum and hi hat sounds
>>
>>63260451
Yes, theoretically, they can't, no
>>
>>63260551
can they tell if you are using a cracked vst? ive been using one cracked vst with a midi keyboard.
btw does it make you mad to think that fuckers would try to copyright individual drum sounds? it does me
>>
>>63260609
no lel

Every now and again avicii or someone does one of those "how I made this #banger" videos and someone calls them out for using a cracked VST because they can see it in the video
>>
>>63259437
did you try dBlue Crusher? I believe it's free
>>
>>63260726
oh okay thanks, one more question and then i will leave you alone. is it bad to use synthesizer presets? i use them or sometimes i alter the presets to have different waveform, pitch, chorus, etc but many of my tracks use presets that have very little or nothing done to them
>>
>>63260609
>does it make you mad to think that fuckers would try to copyright individual drum sounds? it does me
i think copyright as it pertains to sampling is just ridiculous as a whole. as long as the artist you sample is credited there should be no other requirements in terms of compensating them or anything
>>
>>63260551
Wasn't BT sued and fined for using a few seconds of allegedly sampled breaks few-ish years ago?
>>
>>63260810
No, people will tell you otherwise though

At some point you'll reach a stage where you'll want to synthesise your own sounds anyway because it gives you more control, and in my opinion you might as well start doing that sooner rather than later, but it's not inherently bad.

>>63260792
hmm I'll look into it, the problem for me is I'm on OS X and 32-bit plugins like the TAL ones don't work very well
>>
>>63260956
I'd say using breaks is different because there's some arrangement, i.e. composition, going on, rather than just taking one drum sound. But I can't imagine anyone getting sued for using another artist's kick or anything
>>
>>63260965
thank you
>>
https://clyp.it/rmjjgde0

What do you think prod?

I'm trying to establish something that sounds kinda eastern european, but unfortunately the instruments are kinda similar to something in the same vein as 'desert' or 'indian'. TI think what is separating me from doing more balkan type shit is probably an accordion, but I'm not sure.
>>
What's that bed-creaking sound https://soundcloud.com/uglymane/a-white-cordless-propped-up-phone-next-to-a-radio-machine
>>
>>63261025
>https://clyp.it/rmjjgde0
I'm digging it, esp. the bass but I can't really help with your problem even though I get what you mean
>>
>>63261145
Thanks, lately i've been double or triple layering my bass parts with different sounds. I remember someone a long time ago told me to never do that, but it's given me good results so far.
>>
>>63261025
That's really really good. I can't see any influences pertaining to Eastern Europe but it has a nice retro 80s feel to it.
>>
>>63256841
anyone?
>>
>>63255660 sampling and 808s. it's really simple to produce. that's just the song moments in love looped with an kick and snare
>>
>>63256841
i thought that was pretty nice. i liked the second part more
>>
>>63262564
Thanks! The start is pretty boring because of the lack of vocals but I'm hoping a better piano sound will make it sound more interesting
>>
File: Bernie v Hillary.jpg (42 KB, 512x363) Image search: [Google]
Bernie v Hillary.jpg
42 KB, 512x363
To replace Lunga
>>
does using pirated fl studio watermark exported wave files? i dont think that could work but what do i know
>>
>>63262721
yes, just re-export it in another daw and you'll be fine

my buddy forgot to do this once and now he's in jail
>>
>>63262721
what the fuck are you talking about

>>63262694
10/10
>>
>>63262752
if you made a song that got put on itunes with a pirated copy of fl studio is there a watermark in the audio that they can tell the software was pirated?
>>
>>63262837
this is ridiculous, you'd be able to hear it, and if the software had the ability to tell that it had been pirated, wouldn't it make more sense to disable itself and make you buy it, than to put some kind of watermark on the file?
>>
File: Four Tet.png (327 KB, 658x371) Image search: [Google]
Four Tet.png
327 KB, 658x371
>>63259291
I only bought it because I like its rack.
>>
>>63259291
I'm thinking of upgrading soon, I'm looking for something a little more flexible
>>
Yo guys, I made something. Maybe you'll like it.

Also, any advice on the mixing or anything related to the sound would be greatly appreciated.

https://clyp.it/blirgntd?token=7f44d4c00670b578ebfb30ab447418c0
>>
>>63264058
Don't like it very much musically, but the mixing is excellent
>>
Hello I'd like to pirate/torrent Ableton Live I just want to know if I like it and then I'll buy it.

I'd like to try it a little longer than the free trail as well.

I've tried the ones on Kat.cr but they don't seem to work on windows 8.1.

Can someone please direct me to where I can do this ?

Thanks.
>>
Yo!
Let's talk filters.

I now know Serum like the back of my hand, and I think it's interesting how the SVF and ladder (Mg in Serum) filters sound just slightly different.

Also, anyone w experience with analog filters as well as digital want to weigh in as to which sounds better?
>>
>>63262694
serum is over hyped

nexus is basically shit too
>>
>>63266299
What's better? I feel like there's very little I can't do with it.
>>
>>63266334
serum is more decent of the 2 but serum has worse shills and more of them and they act like its the end all synth

nexus is just an overpriced rompler
>>
File: Flying Lotus.jpg (17 KB, 670x380) Image search: [Google]
Flying Lotus.jpg
17 KB, 670x380
>>63266413
I mean, is there a better soft synth out there? idk of any.

Ofc there are some things it can't do
>>
>>63266464
I think soft synths are in a pretty shit state altogether like they could actually innovate but the developers aren't really doing that
>>
>>63266530
I mean, there's no doubt about that. It's incredible how little is has been done on that front in the last like decade or so.
>>
>>63266661
yea that's what I mean basically

serum is good you know but when all there is to compare it too is shittier synths like z3ta 2+ and massive it doesn't take much to be better
>>
File: mics_before_after_01.jpg (1 MB, 1600x4188) Image search: [Google]
mics_before_after_01.jpg
1 MB, 1600x4188
I had a really /prod/uctive weekend! These gorgeous old m8s are back to life and ready to sing again, in a new home.
>>
>>63266911
tfw my city has shit for used gear listings
>>
>>63267065
yeah man it takes some vigilance to find stuff that's for sure
>>
Hey /prod/. I don't want this to turn into an advertisement plug, but does anyone know any good mix/mastering services that don't break the bank? What I'm looking for is mixes/masters from someone who has worked in multiple genres. The stuff I'm looking to get mix/mastered is kind of a mix of progressive rock, orchestral/classical, maybe orchestral jazz fusion, and etc. If I had to nail down just 2 genre names it would be classical music and jazz.

So yeah, does anyone know of any good people and if not or it's not allowed to say for some reason does anyone know where I can look? Thanks.
>>
>>63267241
there is a lot of cheap mastering offers online but they all seem like scams imo
>>
>>63256841
>https://clyp.it/bbhwvhtk
That one chord doesn't fit in my opinion. I'll tell you when from the first time it comes in. 0:11. Maybe you can make it a transition or add it everyone in a while (though sparingly), but I wouldn't make it part of the main chord progression because it doesn't give out a feeling of resolution/resolvement of the chord progression.
>>
I need advice. I'm poor and I'm trying to decide.
Should I buy a preowned effects modulator of sorts or should I replace my pc with a Mac desktop and dual boot win10 on it?
>>
>>63268495
I think mac isn't worth it for how highly people talk about it just because of the strength to price ratio

the only reason I would use mac is if I learned on a mac exclusive daw honestly

just replace your cpu and mobo and maybe more ram if you need to is what I would do

macs aren't bad but theyre way over priced compared to using windows build
>>
>>63268619
I would agree but I'm beginning to need firebolt or whatever the port is called and I also need logic
>>
>>63268682
Thunderbolt*
>>
>>63268682
if logic is what you like then you should get mac I just think they are too expensive

have you ever looked into building a hackintosh setup ?

I know a few producers who run one and I would have considered it but I would probably fuck it up
>>
>>63268731
I don't necessarily 'like' logic, my work just requires it from time to time.

What do you mean by hackintosh?
>>
>>63268789
http://www.hackintosh.com/

basically you buy osx compatible parts and build your own mac and its less expensive than buying prebuild
>>
>>63268789
nah you like logic. If you were to get a Mac for Logic- that's not liking logic.
>>
>>63268887
>I would agree but I'm beginning to need firebolt or whatever the port is called
>>
Help me out prod....I'm trying to get more treble/high end into this sample I'm working with but can't do it with EQ because there's all this other noise in the sample that I don't want. Is there any way to do this in ableton?
If worse comes to worst I'll find a synth that fits and play something over the top but I think there's more to be brought out of the sample if I could get to it...
>>
>>63269015
>If worse comes to worst I'll find a synth that fits

I was going to suggest trying something similar to this, play it's volume low so that you can't distinguish it from the instrument it is pairing with, unless you prefer the blend
>>
>>63269015
adding more sound to cover up the other sound wont end up nicely you should try to eq the sample in the problem areas with precise cuts but not destroy the audio by over doing it
>>
>>63269015
try a notch filter
>>
>>63266299
this
>>
>>63269098
>>63269101
>>63269110
Thanks. I didn't mean I'd be covering the other sound, I've already EQed that out as much as possible but it's a constant noise with the same frequency as what I'm trying to isolate. I might just add some synth to accent what I've already got. It
What's a notch filter?
>>
does anyone else feel like a kiddie when using fl studio? i know the daw doesn't matter but god damn its weird
>>
>>63270870
No.
>>
File: anime guy.png (47 KB, 180x240) Image search: [Google]
anime guy.png
47 KB, 180x240
Hey /prod/, how do I make dense mixes? I don't mean metal or dubstep grit, more like the random flourishes hidden deep in an easy indie/art pop track. I suppose big EQ cuts and volume are key if you wanna keep it subtle and space effects can help, but I could really use an in-depth case study.
Don't suppose seamless or anyone has done a full run through such a track?
>>
>>63270926
Apples >>> oranges desu senpai.
I don't know how you kids still eat that garbage.
>>
>>63270870
Not a kiddie, it's definitely shit for workflow but it's very quick for specific instrumentation recording. If you ONLY use FL then yeah, you're pretty much shit or just new but you're not allowing yourself to learn by sticking to FL.
>>
>>63264319
Both work on win 8.1. Please consider installing the cracks.
>>
That awkward moment when you find the audio and MIDI drag and drop button on the far right of maschine 2.0 program
>>
>>63255810
go to cymatics > free shit > Sylenth1 presets
>>
>tfw almost done with album

:~)
>>
>>63259437
redux for ableton isn't amazing but it'll do the job in the meantime
>>
>>63271211
What exactly does that do? I'm just learning Maschine 2
>>
Thinking of going to get a micro brute today prods
>>
>>63271054
It's all about adding "glue" to get that full effect, some reverb, harmonic distortion or noise, or whatever, music sounds full when there's noise. I'm not saying overdo it, but yeah, there's a reason analogue is supposed to be the best medium, it's cos it's a noisy medium.
>>63271076
L O W Q U A L I T Y
>>63271089
I mean, that goes for everything tho fampai, I know lots of A+ producers who only use FL.
>>
>>63271449
noice

also
VOLCA FM W H E N ?
>>
>>63267351
Glad you pointed that out, I'm not 100% sure about it but I wanted an 8-bar progression rather than 4... I'll see if I can work it in a bit better or change it

Thanks for listening!
>>
https://clyp.it/ehw1fny4
IDM/breaks
>>
File: 452345.jpg (96 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
452345.jpg
96 KB, 1920x1080
How many of you were the one kid always trying to harmonize in any kind of choir or singing exercise?
I think that was probably how I realized I could just make my own tunes. There was another guy showing off his thirds every Sunday at church and he's pretty cool nowadays so I've been wondering if that's common or what.
>>
>>63259291
>I have one
>>
>>63266530
What sort of innovation would you like to see?
>>
>>63266334
>>63266413
>>63266464
I've been using Serum for a while but I think I still prefer Massive, feel like I have a little more control over everything
>>
Can I be just a real piece of shit for a second?

How do I get into music production?
I more or less understand the technical side, got my stuff set up, but I struggle with the actual music side of things.
Do you guys have a sticky/tutorial/copypasta you hand out to people like me?
>>
>>63273520
What do you want to make?
>>
>>63273529
Hard question for a newbie. Anything from triphop, hiphop beats, this weird stuff Kim Hiorthoy does, a bit of Techno so I don't have to leave Berlin.
Everytime I search for newbie stuff I get videos how to set up ableton, no introduction into the actual music.
Is it just music theory combined with try&error?
>>
>>63273177
This so much!!!
>>63273599
>Is it just music theory combined with try&error?
P much.
>>
>>63259291
It does everything I could possibly want it to do and much much more
>>
File: il pls.png (19 KB, 379x286) Image search: [Google]
il pls.png
19 KB, 379x286
>2016
>>
>>63273599
Well IMO there's not really a point in getting into music production if you don't actually want to make music. Of course you can google "how to make hardstyle" and do some painting by numbers but what's the point?
>>
>>63273618
>P much.
fuck.
Can you guys recommend a few channels that would get a newbie on the right track? (like justinguitar for prod)
Just so I don't start with my foot in my mouth.
Thanks for the quick answers by the way
>>
>>63263198
Reason
>>63264048
FL Studio Fruity Edition
>>63273178
Kek
>>63273621
no idea
>>
>>63273634
Yea they're fucking up real bad lately.
>>
>>63273643
Try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euKsB44B4JU
>>
>>63273641
Wait, no, I didn't mean a step by step guide to recreate this one song, that's stupid.
But let's say I enjoy the music this guy plays on guitar, I can look up that he plays blues and find common scales/chords for blues right?
I thought it might be similar here, but maybe I'm wrong
>>
File: vcf_polivoks_sh0.gif (9 KB, 601x230) Image search: [Google]
vcf_polivoks_sh0.gif
9 KB, 601x230
>>63264600
Analog sounds better, the only digital filters I liked were in Reaktor, but I haven't used a lot of softsynths with TPT filters.
>>63273650
I just wonder how long till they drop it like TS404.
>>
>>63273634
Also, I wonder if it's because Synapse Audio has some sort of exclusive license for Wasp, I think Orion is 64 bit and I think it has Wasp XT.
>>
>>63273643
sadowick, he knows shit about music theory as well and does stuff often with trial and error

this kinda makes him sound bad but I think his videos are worth watching if you're a beginner, he also got me started
also he seems to be a nice dude
>>
>>63273669
Yea it's not the same with electronic music that people make tabs of popular tracks or anything. But if you play around with synths and drums you'll eventually get a feel for how to do things. Also many producer forums are filled with "how do I get this sound" threads lol.
>>
>>63273669
>>63273708
also you can transfer your guitar knowledge (assuming you have any) pretty good for hip hop
just make up chords like you do on the guitar and try out minor/major/pentatonic scales over it
>>
A friend of mine started learning to play the piano a few years ago but gave up. However, he still has his Roland HP102e-RW. Is that sufficient as a midi master for making background tracks in Cubase that I can play my guitar over? Also what midi interface should I get, I don't intend on using more devices than this at once.
>>
>>63273993
>HP102e-RW
gg Liberace
>>
>>63273993
Yeah.
>>
https://clyp.it/1mi5omnx

pls no hate
theres no progression
its just automation to keep it from sounding TOO boring
the end when the downsampling stops is the actual 4 bars i want you to listen to

i wish i could write music
>>
>>63274447
Dude just get rid of that bitcrusher, or maybe keep it only on one minor element. It's a pretty lush loop otherwise.
>>
>>63275031
lemme restate
i only added the downsampling/bitcrushing because if i didn't then it would just be the same 4 bars over and over since i cant write a progression to save my life

when that distortion stuff at 0:55-1:07 ends, you can hear the loop without the downsampling on the master
>>
https://clyp.it/ufxa2xqu
Literally any chord/melodic stuff I put over this sounds wrong. Guess I'll just make some variation in the beat and add more percussive/noisy elements.
>>
>>63275070
Well the bitcrusher still sounds like shit senpai. If you wanna add variation better do it by muting/unmuting drum parts, reverb and lowpass filters.
>>
>tfw you find chords for the verse and everything slowly comes together
>>
>>63276147
it's a wonderful feel
>>
File: 1394593808504.jpg (336 KB, 978x1146) Image search: [Google]
1394593808504.jpg
336 KB, 978x1146
I've been working with Ableton lately, I love it, however, sometimes I'll have a sidechain stuck on a synth, (I use the stock compressor's sidechain.) and as soon as I kick on the sidechain it goes quiet.

I thought I fixed it by putting another compressor at the end of the load. It sounds great and the sidechain on the front still works.

So what gives? Is this a viable solution? Is there a better way? Why does the sidechain make my track quiet?
>>
>>63276853
Post a pic of your channel (in device view obv). It's probably some option you have that's awry, though it could be a bug.
>>
>>63264600
>digital filters
Lmaoing at ur life. Meming aside, digital filters usually suck unless you're at some freakishly high sample rate like 192khz.
>>
File: help.png (52 KB, 688x207) Image search: [Google]
help.png
52 KB, 688x207
>>63276853
do you have the blue headphone thing selected? show us your signal chain.
>>
File: stop.png (418 KB, 500x509) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
418 KB, 500x509
>>63262694
>>
>>63273214
Like this
https://soniccharge.com/synplant
>>
A guy I know came to me because a friend of his with a studio from the 70s just died and needs my help. I have been offered first dibs on any gear I want. He came to me since I've got lots of experience. Everything will eventually be being sold off.

However there's a microphone called a Calrec, he said it was a Colrec but I'm guessing that was a typo. It comes with a pre-amp and a flight case. I'm yet to take a look at it since I need to find time to do so and I'm too busy at the moment.

Anybody have any experience with these microphones? They're an English brand that's seemingly quite prestigious and I have seen some of their desks going for $60k and were used by the BBC.

Any help in regards to value, usage and comparisons would really help. Lots of stuff available for sale including some nice monitors
>>
File: 1407953288657.jpg (35 KB, 594x383) Image search: [Google]
1407953288657.jpg
35 KB, 594x383
How do I create a reverb that keeps going forever? (i.e. infinite decay time)
>>
>>63259291
It has a pretty nice rack
>>
>>63276926
Poorfag here - how much will I lose by using Pro Q 2?
>>
>>63276945
Isn't that whie sidechain is supposed to do?
>>63277228
Select long decay time, bounce to audio, compress and loop.
>>
>>63277276
if you hit the monitor button, all you will here is what's coming through the sidechain input.
>>
File: castlevania3.jpg (2 MB, 1534x2100) Image search: [Google]
castlevania3.jpg
2 MB, 1534x2100
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make this grindy 4-bit bass wave. Any ideas / suggestions? I know I need to do a square / sawtooth oscilator but it is missing the twang this bass has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgmkCme5wLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmQlJPLNQ0

Any suggestions / guidance is appreciated. 100% new to trying to recreate chiptunes.
>>
>>63277228
find a reverb with a freeze function
>>
>>63277385
is this what you're looking for?
https://clyp.it/23utpntk
>>
>>63277551
>is this what you're looking for?

Lol it seems right, I'm still messing around with it
>>
>>63277619
would you like a shortcut? I have a plugin that'll make your life a lot easier. Mac or Windows?
>>
>>63277646

Windows using FL Studio 12, I do appreciate it
>>
>>63277681
alright, give me a bit, I'll have it up for you soon

...unless of course you need this sound RIGHT NOW, in which case:

http://www.audiothing.net/instruments/minibit/
>>
>>63277756

Oh no don't need it immediately, just messing around trying to re-create some of these instruments and do my own stuff
>>
File: settings.png (181 KB, 750x430) Image search: [Google]
settings.png
181 KB, 750x430
>>63277385
>>63277619
>>63277681
>>63277800
Alright my man, here's the link:
https://mega.nz/#F!P50GhRRL!SkerP40RQv3DmpEb3hu9Lw

...and pic related is the settings I used, it's the "GUITAR" waveform. Good luck!
>>
I've been using ableton lately and I'm struggling with some kind of shit I cannot explain. After using it for a while, each time I press the play button a distorted buzz sounds periodically. Thankfully i can get rid of the nuissance by restarting and opening my sesion again, but it gets really tiresome after a while.
Does someone else have the same issue and/or knows how to solve it?
I'm using lite 8.0.9
>>
>>63276926
>digital filters usually suck unless you're at some freakishly high sample rate like 192khz.
4 or 8 oversampling is not uncommon in softsynths. For example asynth has 8x oversampling which boils down to 350 khz when you play in 44.1.
>>
>>63277223
Dayum any vintage analog synths? I know it's a bit of a meme but it would be great to get some of that for acceptable money.
>>
>>63278928

I appreciate it, thanks!
>>
>>63277228
Feedback loop with delay/amp/compressor in it.
>>
I have 1000 bucks to spend on gear. Other than an audio interface I just use Logic and software shit for everything.

Is there an analog synth and/or sequencer that I can get that will give me more versatility than ES2/Sculpture/software? It seems like it would be fun as hell to get an MPC or an old Roland synth but I need to budget that shit.
>>
>>63279480
My uni just dropped £30k on a buchla 200e
It's gorgeous but fucking ridiculous
>>
>>63279527
Honestly, just buy some soft synths unless you really want a hardware synth. Sylenth1 and massive are far easier to use than the es2. I used to use it and got used to it, when I got the other two I found them so easy to use. You could look into building kits, always fun if you really want hardware. A buddy of mine had a little mini korg and loves it. I would personally drop the money on mics and compressors but I have different tastes
>>
>>63279735
I heard about academic studios like that before but I don't think dutch unis do that sort of shit unfortunately.
So will you get to play it if you ask nicely?
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 640x960
>>63279864
We have a lecturer who just did his PhD in sound synthesis and he said he will give me a 1-2-1 whenever I want. He's currently re-writing the manual that came with the hardware since its fucking unreadable. We are allowed to use it whenever we want. Just have to book the room it's in. Also just checked. It isn't £20k it was £30k.

It's a real fucking ballache to use though. It's really cool but not my thing. I'm happy we just bought:
>16 neve eqs
>16 SSL eqs
>16 neve compressors
>16 SSL compressors

They're all hooked into an ssl matrix. The sounds I've got with vocalists going from the sontronics Helios, into the neves are fantastic
>>
>>63279527
A Monomachine would be cool if you wanna spend that much.
>>
>>63280023
>>63279864
That said when I was looking up audio tech for a degree level (I wanted to do sound for film/music/tv) but I was suggested that I could go to a Dutch uni to study EDM. Not my kind of thing
>>
File: DIY_Synth_application.gif (74 KB, 1024x699) Image search: [Google]
DIY_Synth_application.gif
74 KB, 1024x699
>>63279802
>You could look into building kits
anyone here did that?
pic related is a kit I've been eyeballing, ~100bucks

or does anyone have any other recommandations?
I study electrical engineering and my soldering game is bretty good
>>
post your lazy sunday jams

https://clyp.it/yjugzsn3
>>
SOUND DESIGN. How to make sound design sound more professional? I always find my music sounding cheap, lame, crappy, uninteresting, and thin.
>>
>>63280793
I recommended it. My soldering is fine but I'm not confident with electronic work. I think it would be cool to do. I made myself 20 pickup mics. Was great fun. That and to be honest, if you're just generating basic tones to modulate, you can't really fuck up
>>
>>63281069
Sound design as in music or film/tv? I'm the guy that's been posting about synths and neves etc. I'm currently writing my dissertation on the "evolution of sound design within the science fiction genre".

Any questions?
>>
>>63281116
>>63281069
Also if it's sounding thin then layering and compression are your friends.
>>
>>63281116
>I'm currently writing my dissertation on the "evolution of sound design within the science fiction genre".
that sounds bretty dope desu
>>
File: androgynous.jpg (12 KB, 236x305) Image search: [Google]
androgynous.jpg
12 KB, 236x305
give it to me straight on my newest creation, senpai
skip to 1:05 if you like because the intro is a bit lengthy
https://clyp.it/10wd0qym
>>
>>63281420
It's fucking agonising. Give me a movie to do audio for and I'm happy. Give me
Writing to do and I'm suicidal. It's due in 10 days and I'm half way through.

It's interesting though, lots of work on Ben burtt and such
>>
>>63281533
>androgynous.jpg
#goals in life
>>
Wheres a nigga supposed to find some adlibs?
>>
>>63281069
I find myself in a situation similar to you. I'm taking my first steps into music composition making the bso for a game that a friend of mine is doing. He does it with an small team for fun, so there is not much pressure, and I can work freely.

I have medium knowledge of music theory and I play guitar and the piano, however, I am mostly disappointed of the sound that I get. It doesn't matter how good the melody is, the sound lacks... depth? quality? I'm not even sure how to describe it. It sounds way too MIDI from my point of view. I don't know how to get past this.
>>
>>63281116
>>63281142
More so in music but if you'd like to add anything convening TV, I'll use the advice in the future! Got any advice on creating original and interesting sounds? Also could you teach me about how to properly layer and compress? I struggle with those two things. Thank you! Also I'm sure your dissertation will turn out great! The subject matter sounds very interesting.
>>
>>63282371
>>63281069
Sounds like we have problem we all need fixed. Any anons know anything I don't, because I'm real sick of making tracks and having them come out sounding empty.
>>
>>63282371
>sounds way too MIDI
don't quantize too heavily
randomize velocity a bit
cab simulation
overdrive
room reverb
proper eq

in no particular order but this is the stuff I use
also stuff I do with sylenth1 tends to feel less open and natural than serum as an example

you could also use stuff like kontakt
>>
>>63283056
btw overdrive/distortion is the most important one of those imo
>>
>>63283083
Whenever I use distortion, it ends up sounding like shit and it's hard to work with. What do.
>>
>>63283284
pirate fabfilter saturn
>>
>>63283284
overdrive is similar to reverb in that its very easy to overdo it. the trick is to it sparingly
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
Anyone wanna talk sampling?
>Finding samples
>Sampling Tips/Techniques
>Sample Packs
>>
>>63283606
I feel like, at least when using reverb, a little bit barely makes a difference and it's hard to hear any reverb.
>>
>>63255810
is massive any good for making music other than shitty brostep?
>>
>>63283805
>>63283606
>>63283606
>>63283284
>>63283083

As a professional reverb and overdrive overdoer i confirm that
>>
>>63282371
https://www.musictheory.net & https://makingmusic.ableton.com
The second link is a book but half of it is on the site for free, it's answers the questions you never knew how to ask I think
>>
Anyone use blocks wired here? Never hear anyone mention Reaktor or blocks here
>>
File: free-shitt-11-oz-mugs.jpg (108 KB, 1001x1001) Image search: [Google]
free-shitt-11-oz-mugs.jpg
108 KB, 1001x1001
Hey /prod/!

I'm the anon from a few threads back who said he'll upload a fuckton of samples and plug-ins. Still don't know if I want to give away all of my samples, but plug-ins are a sure thing!

Anyway, here's the PC downloads for a bunch of Computer Music (magazine) instruments and effects:

Folder:
https://mega.nz/#F!KhEG1SBD!wULKS3w2I03gUcyQ0NVhew

zip:
https://mega.nz/#!y1sRlaha!GI4_Ktkv_OHjOhQnrtFYfn1MMsUhE2tX9zHdPObhck8

Some of these are just players, others are fledged things. We got Loomer Cumulus, a monophonic version of Aalto, and a bunch more.

I also have a stripped-down (but still awesome) version of Alchemy if anyone wants that.

Mac version coming soon. Keep an eye on the wiki.
>>
>>63284306
yeah, it's pretty fun. the matrix sequencer can be a pain in the ass, probably because I haven't learned it yet.
>>
>>63284393
thanks breh
>>
File: 1454866840895.jpg (761 KB, 6000x6000) Image search: [Google]
1454866840895.jpg
761 KB, 6000x6000
>>63284393
Damn dude. Nice.
>>
>>63284422
I'm struggling with most of the wiring up really, watched a lot of tutorials but everytime I go back to it to build stuff I've totally forgotten how to do anything. I need to put some more time into learning it really.
Most of the ready made stuff sounds so good though I usually just end up spending hours tweaking those really.
>>
>>63284306
this shit is confusing to me
>>
>>63284523
>>63284927
>>63285062
Same here, is it worth learning?
>>
>>63283779
archive.org is a great resource, if you are into sampling commercials, radio, PSAs, archival film and video historical or otherwise.
>>
>>63285243
is all that royalty free?
>>
>>63285204
Yes for sure. Go listen to some sound demos I'm sure you'll be impressed. Also if you've ever wanted a modular synth without spending a fucking fortune then this is for you...pretty sure I'm gonna end up with a modular setup after using blocks wired now though
>>
Any tips for Breakcore? I know the basics of chopping up samples and making breakbeats, but I'm looking to really get in there hardcore. Been listening to Venetian Snares recently and he's blowing my god damn mind. Anyone know some #protips or tricks of the trade for this genre?
>>
>>63285315
Some of it is, but others are so obscure that you probably won't have to worry.
>>
How do i record a drum track using Audacity ?
I don't have real drums, if there is some extension that I can install on Audacity let me know. Any other solution will be apreciated too. Please wise Anon save me.
>>
>>63285403
make some glitchy samples to throw in your tracks every once in a while
try not to have repetitive drums
experiment with timestretching and effecting + bouncing to audio + effecting + bouncing to audio + effecting etc etc
>>
how do i make music?
>>
>>63283025
Sorry for the late reply
Thanks man. Okay well when it comes to original sound design, it sounds cliche but think outside the box. Star Wars sound design is really weird when you look at the source files. You need to have a microphone and patience. Science fiction is nice because there's no realistic sound that you have to represent. You also need to be able to think about how sounds can change. I've used a hi-hat to create a spaceship sound. Feedback and delays are vital.

Layering and compression though, what you want to do it basically split the sound you want up into 3 parts, highs, mids and lows. You want to pay all your attention to each layer. So say for big porter Robinson style supersaws you would layer a low end one that's mostly bass/sub, a midrange one that contains the grit and main body of the sound and a high end one that has the detail and sparkle so you could have a slight bit of white noise in that. It's the same for film sound design. Gunshots we split up into 2 or 3 sections, body (the weight of the gunshot), detail (like the bolt travelling forward) and crack (stuff like the high end and spatial part of the sound).

It's the same principle in synthesis.

Compression is important because it brings a level balance to your sound. With bass instruments you want to be quite aggressive with compression. Anything from a 4:1 and above. Another good trick is parallel compression. With that what you do is buss your sound to an auxiliary channel, then OVER compress and slightly distort that channel. That helps to push out the transients and gives a little bit of a distorted "platform" (as I call it) for the rest of the sound to sit on. So you then put this quite quiet in the mix. So that you can't obviously hear it but it still has an impression on the sound.
>>
I found some cool plugins on KVR, but I'm wondering if any of you know any other better place that has dark ambient sounds and drum and bass plugins that works with ableton.

I don't care about price, any insight will help thanks.
>>
>>63285784
there is places like vst4free and splice

but probably you would find the same things on kvr
>>
>>63285403
if ur in fl studio grossbeat is great for glitchy drum sounds
>>
>>63285784
see
>>63284393
>>
I've been teaching myself how to use Ableton and i've created something I really like, but it's too simple. It sounds like something pre-Art Angels Grimes would create, kind of fairy/out of this world, I'm trying to speed up 2x one of sections of one of the tracks, how do I do that?
>>
>>63286213
Are they wave files or midi?
>>
>>63286213
Not an ableton user, but the search term you may want to look for is "tempo automation in ableton"
>>
>>63259291
I am on it every night
>t. long-distance relationship
>>
>>63259291
>It's already 7 years old but I still get it pumping

The daw that is...
>>
File: Biden.gif (1 MB, 286x187) Image search: [Google]
Biden.gif
1 MB, 286x187
>>63259291
>I have an intricate series of chains set up for it
>>
>>63259291
i can put it on mute
>>
>>63285701
step 1: open your daw
step 2: quit
step 3: masturbate
>>
>>63287491
>>63287444
>>63286912
>>63286843
Good posts

>>63284393
Great post
>>
>>63285403
ableton's beat repeat is a god send for breakcore
>>
File: 103763593_3.jpg (343 KB, 2048x1364) Image search: [Google]
103763593_3.jpg
343 KB, 2048x1364
https://clyp.it/jegswr5o

what do you think anons
>>
>>63287566
thanks ill try this
>>
Is it a good idea to compose your melody ideas on 8bit? Just to have some sort of the "skeleton" of my song
>>
File: Capture.png (25 KB, 679x224) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
25 KB, 679x224
>>63286213
This button

also
>these captchas are getting too difficult
>>
>>63287941
Do whatever works for you man. I like to compose harmonies on a piano or a guitar and melodies on a synth (usually a saw wave with a lpf at around 450hz because it sounds nice and clean)
>>
>>63287965
I swear you get them right and it says it was wrong anyways

and sometimes I get the ones where you click the picture and it changes

its fucking bullshit

>>63287941
I use simple shit like piano multi sample or presets/rompler when I feel like just making music

I try to keep sound design separate or I get too bogged down
>>
my first attempt with 1 week of musical theory, being a NEET and downloading fruity loops from kickass torrents

https://clyp.it/sr0h1t2y
>>
>>63287786
I like how thick those base chords sound
>>
>>63288088
i like it
may i suggest setting a longer attack / release on your synths, seting a low pass filter at 500 hz, and adding reverb
that'll make it sound very melodic
>>
>tfw spent 20 minutes to find the right tempo for the sample to loop
>>
>>63288037
>writing melodies with lpf cutoff at 450hz
uh, does it have like a really low rolloff, like 6Hz/octave or something? Sorta feel like that'd be way too low.
>>
can anyone sound like kanye (autotune singing/rapping) or do you have to have a little bit of talent already?
>>
>>63288478
https://clyp.it/5nbmuxlc
the first run is with a lpf at 450 and the second run is without a filter
it essentially cuts out the buzzing noise
>>
>>63288720
Do you write words?
>>
>>63288766
Ok. A lot of synths have a keytrack feature, which moves the cutoff freq up or down depending on the note being played.

You could also, ya know, use a different waveform!
>>
>>63288088
>https://clyp.it/sr0h1t2y
not bad
>>
>>63288796
yes a little bit
>>
mfw I realize I've been using my laptop's trackpad the entire time I've been producing without even thinking about how much easier it might be using a mouse
I've been producing for 2 years with a trackpad
kill me
>>
File: thAIVW0C9M.jpg (6 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
thAIVW0C9M.jpg
6 KB, 300x199
>>63289344
ive heard these are pretty nice but ive never tried one
>>
Guys/gals I spent the last 5 hours writing Ableton instrument racks for common synth patches I make in Ableton (kicks, saws, sub bass, nostalgic/warm sound, squelch bass, snare (incomplete).

This is going to make my sound design so much quicker.
>>
I'm trying to improve my mixing ability by ear training a bit and analyzing songs. I'd also like to make sure things I'm hearing aren't some issue with my audio setup or headphones.

Could anyone tell me if the beginning of this song and a lot of the rest of it sounds like it has too much sub-bass, making it kind of flabby and wobbly and muddy? (I also found a FLAC version just to make sure it wasn't some compression artifact. The issue sounds even more noticeable in FLAC, to my ears..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHSrKW-99so
>>
>>63281533
https://clyp.it/10wd0qym
would someone mind saying something about this?
>>
>>63289686
nigga you stole my fuckin song

https://clyp.it/mpuo4jvq
>>
>>63289790
what you talkin' bout senpai?
i like what you posted, just keep making variations on the stuff you're doing
>>
>>63289864
it sounds like you sampled and pitched up the intro of my song in the intro to yours
>>
>>63289686
I'm a total amateur so feel free to discard this:

I like the sound and structure, especially in the beginning parts, but it sounds like it needs some heavy EQ and/or compression adjustment. The instrument separation isn't good, and the impact on most of the sounds seems to be really poor. The transients don't sound like they're bleeding through.

I don't know if you just haven't mixed it already or what.

As for the song itself:

I don't really like the vocals that come in at 2:50. They should be chopped up more or changed or something. They seem like they were just kind of thrown in.

The tempo speed-up seems unnecessary and doesn't really do anything to the song. It doesn't help make it seem less repetitive; it just seems jarring. It actually kind of makes it worse. I really like tempo changes in some songs, but it doesn't seem to fit here.

In general, it kind of sounds like it's run out of original content in general by around 2:04 or so. I'd maybe redo everything after 2:04, but keep everything before it other than mixing adjustments.
>>
>>63289901
You're being sarcastic, right? It doesn't sound the same at all. Just a similar sort of note progression.
>>
>>63289901
Uh no. Sounds like >>63289686 may have used the idea (dunno when he heard it) but he didn't lift a sample from your song.
>>
>>63289901
he must have liked it that much
>>
>>63289901
>>63289962
>>63289959
oh shit those are the same or very similiar chords
senpai i'm pretty damn sure i haven't heard this. in fact, i'm pretty sure it's a fairly common chord progression.
>>63289903
thank you for your input
>>
>>63259291
I like to invite a couple of friends over and just spend the night experimenting
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.