[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I figured it out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: danse manatee.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
danse manatee.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
I've always wondered why people hate Danse Manatee, even people who are well enough into patricianhood to be able to listen to it without getting a headache seem to despise it. People who heil Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished as a masterpiece, criticize the fuck out of Danse manatee, even though they are around the same level of abrasiveness.

But then it hit me, how many people have you seen who say they hate Danse Manatee, but love "Essplode"? How many people have you seen deny that Feels is the true anco pop masterpiece, because the tracks "drag on" too much? How many people have you seen who's least favorite track on Sung Tongs is Visiting Friends? Animal Collective have developed a fanbase who cannot appreciate slow music. Its not that Danse Manatee is too abrasive, people are just too fucking impatient. It's not a failed experiment, it just takes its fucking time. Asking an anco fan to appreciate this album is like asking a Soccer fan to appreciate Baseball. It's hard to go from "GET BALL TO GOAL" to whatever the fuck those nerds are doing in baseball. I don't actually watch sports.
>>
>>63100798
>I don't actually watch sports.
Then why use a sports analogy, numbnuts?
>>
uh, yeah, dude
>>
because a lot of AnCo fans are plebs

My tops 3 AnCo albums are Spirit, Danse Manatee, Here Comes the Indian in no particular order
>>
>>63100798
for the record visiting friends is my favourite track on sung tongs and i dont think sung tongs is that great.
i'll take my special snowflake medal now
>>
>>63100798
A lot of the .5 rating on rym are from people who say it hurts their ears, some haven't even listened the whole way through and they write it in their .5 star review. Rym needs mods for this shit
>>
I listened to it once and never gave it a second try because it got a 3.9 on Pitchfork. I know it usually takes a couple listens before you can properly judge an AnCo album but I figured it wasn't worth my time.
>>
>>63100798
I hear where you're coming from with the slow tracks thing. It's hard for anyone to say that Bees or Flesh Canoe is anyone's favorite songs from Feels, but without those tracks, the highlights feel inconsequential.

Remember the first time you listened through all of feels, and how satisfying Banshee Beat and Turn Into Something were, amplified by the slow tracks?

Without these tracks, you get hyperactive albums like chz and pw, which feel like best of collections
>>
>>63100979
>without those tracks, the highlights feel inconsequential.
I'd kill for an album full of Did You See the Words and Grass.
>>
>>63100977
Stop
>>
I'm really glad they made records like these, instead of having a doscography festooned with Strawberry Jam's or MPPs
>>
>>63101091
I think it's time they go back to their roots for a bit
>>
>>63101206
I think a combination of Feels and ODDSAC would be best to explore next but that's just me.
>>
>>63101206
come man, you know that period is past. they've solidified that with their last two albums.

I really hope they do, but history tells me that they won't
>>
I'm a pleb and don't currently like their early stuff, but dansee was somehow nice for me to listen to.

I do like slow music like ambient tho if that supports anything
>>
>>63101029
isnt that basically the idea behind chz and pw? they're full of high energy, bouncy tracks, but yet aren't anywhere as moving as grass or words
>>
>>63101313
PW is probably as close as it's going to get I guess. CHz was too grating/clustered/conflicting to even compare to Grass.
>>
>>63101233
how's ODDSAC? is it closer to early AnCo or middle AnCo or contemporary Anco?
>>
>>63101233
Is there actually a difference between the youtube anbd dvd versions of oddsac, I've heard about it, but never watched/listened to it
>>
>>63101511
all anco is contemporary idiot
>>
>>63101637
you know what he meant, no need to be a dick
>>
>>63100798
Yeah, AnCo fans have pretty restrictive taste. Their most acclaimed work is the really palatable stuff and their most popular work is their poppy stuff.
>>
>>63101637
i'll break it down for you, mentally challenged friend

>Early AnCo: STGSTV, Danse, Campfire Songs, HCTI
Noisier than poppier, big emphasis on texture, chaotic songwriting

>Middle AnCo: Sung Tongs, Feels, Strawberry Jam, MPP
Poppier, more playful than chaotic, golden age, equal amounts of melody and texture, super psychedelic

>Contemporary AnCo: CHz, PW
Hectic, frantic, very dense, their poppiest, their most direct approach to music
>>
>>63101206
that's what CHz was supposed to be...read any interview from 2012/2013, they describe that album as more experimental and getting back to their roots...Fall Be Kind was the last front-to-back interesting thing they'll produce
>>
>>63101755
at least the band knew how to milk it. they have to eat too. yet I'd rather have their most popular work being the norm in the mainstream than whatever sappy, programmed to the decibel shlock that is on top of the billboards nowadays
>>
>>63101774
Note the clear trajectory: early AnCo all largely fits together as being highly experimental, noisy, ambient...mid-period, starting with Sung Tongs, they include more and more ~songs~ on their albums, and these ~songs~ change their character.

On Sung Tongs, the only real ~single~ is Rabbit. Even the other big hits, We Tigers and Winter's Love, are pretty damn weird and minimal.

On Feels, Did You See the Words and Grass are pretty straightforward, and although Purple Bottle and Turn Into Something are still poppy, they make use of long ambient sections/tonal explorations, respectively.

On SJ, the experimental pieces become the minority, and the poppier songs are poppier still, the only really recognizable purely experimental piece is #1. Cuckoo Cuckoo's loud/quiet dynamic and Peacebone's glitchy textures still deserve shout-outs.

On MPP, the transformation is complete, and the songs are entirely recognizable as songs. On CHz, they attempt to reference their previous textural intensity, but on PW, the band is entirely distinct from any previous form of themselves.
>>
>>63102057
I think PW is the closer AnCo has ever been to its Brian Wilson/Beach Boys influence
It's no Pet Sounds/Smile, of course, but it's a pretty solid album that flirts really hard with the psychedelic pop dynamics that Brian Wilson played with during his golden age.
>>
File: anc 1.png (8 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
anc 1.png
8 KB, 1000x1000
I drew a picture of danse manatee
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.