[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album is growing on me. It isn't the most interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 2
This album is growing on me. It isn't the most interesting or near the best of their albums, but it is still very very good material for what it is. There's no point placing such hype on a band because it's meaningless in the years to come. Look how many people love Centipede Hz now!

I just enjoy the music here when I'm in the mood and it is a fun, pleasant even trippy and beautiful in its own way. It's not life changing like Spirit or MPP but it is still great music. How can you dislike Hocus Pocus, On Delay, Recycling or The Burglars?

Even if you think this is slight compared to their older works, it's still quite a nerve to give it a 6 or a 5 or something unless you hate this band to begin with.
>>
I don't get the hate for this at all. Makes no sense
>>
>>62983681

same it has no weak songs on it
>>
It's a great album. It's just different. I'm not sure where it stands within their work.
>>
>>62983429
its a great album and will be more appreciated later own, most people are jaded on this board to the point where the forget what to look for when they listen or forget what they used to enjoy about music
it takes alot of the meaning of the fact that this album is special because its the album of right now, it unfolded right in front of our eyes, some jaded creeps cant appreciate life and art that way
>>
>>62983681
It's very underwhelming
>>
>>62984003
Prob like this

St> SJ> MPP> Feels>Spirit>Indian> and then PW and Centipede. I think Centipede is weaker because it is far more repetitive at times. At least PW songs are short
>>
>>62984071
In what ways?
>>
>>62983681
its not bad

but their prior efforts are just so much better that it's disappointing

you can't honestly tell me Feels or SJ are in the same dimension as this release
>>
>>62983429
Nah fuck this album, 2/10.

One of the most annoying things I've ever heard from a respected band. Instantly gives me a migraine.
>>
>>62984869
ok, so the fuck what?
those are EXCEPTIONALLY greats album, literally exceptions, don't shit all over a great new happenin' AnCo album just because jesus didn't shit it out his ass

just fuck this board, people who can't enjoy music want you to feel as shitty as them when they can't even enjoy new music from their favorite band anymore and they dont know what happened so they blame the music and they use this board as their sad sack shitting grounds
>>
>>62984869

Nah no one is arguing it is the same as those. Its just genuinely really good music anyway. None of ACs albums are ever the same. I know you mean quality but its also hard to gauge only a few weeks after release
>>
>>62984931
You're really mad that people don't like something, jesus
>>
>>62984899

>>62984931
this fucking guy right here before i can even post my shit there are these sad fucks crawling out the woodwork
>>
>>62984982
im not mad thats just how i dictate myself faggot
im blunt because im telling the truth suck it up
>>
>>62984931

I know what you mean. There are some really cynical people that love to shit on everything because it makes them feel better. Sure have an opinion but the harshness and "edgyness" is just fucking dumb
>>
>>62984984
Why am I a sad fuck for being irritated by an album and vocalizing it on a music discussion board?

>>62985009
You're just making up a bunch of shit because you don't want to believe people don't like something you do.
>>
>>62985042
what is edgy about that? just because not everybody is fucking autistic in this board and

Has to capitalize properly and place all the right punctuation, as if they are proving something. Yet, you still use meaningless buzzwords and talk shit out your ass while trying to appear as an "intellectual" typer.

i type as the thought occurs in my mind like a natural human being little sperg dungeon boy

okay, to my point, listening takes effort that certain people aren't able to muster while listening to the new AnCo album and are upset about it so they blame the music being weak when it is really just their brains.
>>
>>62985073
Why does it irritate you? Is it the vocals? I can understand that but its not really that out of the ordinary with MPP really
>>
>>62985157
I'm not talking about you bro. There are a lot of faggot idiot trolls on /mu/ you can't deny it. Has nothing to do with taste, its just a really dumb condescending attitude meant to bait other people are all over this board at times.

If you made >>62984899 this comment then so be it, didn't mean you at all because you're just saying your opinion and not obnoxious about it
>>
>>62985073
its not about disliking something i do, i have no problem with that, its about you being a hater. just hating and shitting on things other people like because you are uncomfortable with it, you're not discussing you fucking weasel you provided absolutely zero context for your shit rating and then you shat on the album like a fucking douche

you are a sad fuck for being irriatated. who the fuck is irritated by music? PW gave me joy when i listened to it, while it irritated you? your brain has been damaged, bud
>>
>>62985157
>listening takes effort that certain people aren't able to muster while listening to the new AnCo album and are upset about it so they blame the music being weak when it is really just their brains.

there is a real human being who actually believes this.

fuck.

>>62985164
The vocals are the source of the headache, I think, but the whole thing just sounds like children's music with some drugs mixed in. I just cannot stand it, which is really rare for me.
>>
>>62985207
oh yeah wasnt me

yeah this board is pure bait, i get baited all day long and nobody discusses shit, and when they do you can't tell if they're memeing or being serious so i just shitpost here still and mind my own music
>>
>>62985248
The OP makes a point basically shutting down anyone who dislikes the record and likes the band. This album gives me a headache, is that not a legitimate problem to have with something? Jesus Christ.

>who the fuck is irritated by music? PW gave me joy when i listened to it, while it irritated you? your brain has been damaged, bud

I'm inclined to think you're a troll, but this seems so genuine. Music brings out different feelings in different people, do you honestly think everyone who doesn't have the same taste as you has brain damage?
>>
>>62985265
sorry bud, art isn't just some ride that you strap in and let take you around

it invokes thought, you have to use your brain. grasping a spacial understanding of the audible atmosphere, and grasping an emotional understanding of the person to person capabilities of all art.

its a communication of minds, and while there are instinctual feels we can automatically vibe to but that doesn't exclude that which takes thought
>>
>>62985325
you are claiming that the album literally give you a headache, you might have an aneurysm
>>
>>62984931
>>62985248

the album is essentially 50 minutes of "boing" sounds

http://thequietus.com/articles/19709-the-lead-review-animal-collective-painting-with-review
>>
>>62985453
Sure, it can definitely involve thought (though I have no idea why you think it HAS to)

That doesn't mean we'll all came to the same conclusions
>>
>>62985481
You've never been in a restaurant or something and some little shit plays Barney music on their mom's phone or whatever and you get a headache? Nothing like that has happened to you? Show your dad merzbow, I'm sure he'll get a headache.

>>62985494
lmfao beautiful
>>
>>62985495
>That doesn't mean we'll all came to the same conclusions
but doesn't that reinforce the other anon's point? if we all came to the exact same conclusions then there'd be hardly any emotional connection (which is a part of thought) or critical evaluation at all.
>>
>>62985629
Not if you look at what they said before, which was essentially "if you don't like this, you haven't thought about it enough, retard"
>>
>>62985652
ah, yeah didn't read through the whole thread.
>>
>>62985559
merzbow is noise music, AnCo is melodic and far from barney music

listener error bud, maybe it gives you a headache because you are confused when you hear it
>>
It's the new Surf's Up

Disney Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKxP9PeGUFM

Recycling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb8OWVufeLY

same synth bass effect

animal collective is the new beach boys
>>
>>62985751
we know this bud, all our favorite reviewers love to say that
>>
>>62985735
Yet no headache arose for me from Merzbow. Something being melodic (in a very childlike manner, even if you enjoy it you do agree it's childlike, right? Maybe that's why you like it, it's nostalgic or something, idk) doesn't mean it can't be annoying. The fuck? You're honestly telling me nothing you've heard walking down the street has ever annoyed you?

There's no way you're not a troll. If you aren't, and I sincerely mean this, I'm sorry, I just can't believe that an actual human being believes others are annoyed by music because they aren't as smart as you.
>>
>>62985823
no faggot im telling you that you putting AnCo on the same level of some annoying shit you hear in a restaurant or walking down the street is fucking ridiculous and you know it bud

go fuck off now
>>
>>62985849
How? It's still pop music, not like it's magically above other pop because it's a little weirder.

Your argument is seriously "it can't be annoying because it's AnCo"
>>
Amanita from Chz was better than all of PW
>>
>>62985884
read it bud ffs

you are comparing anco to sounds you hear walking down the street and barney, and you are altogether not based in reality on your opinions
>>
>>62986003
mmmmm untrue
Floridada, Burglars, & Golden Gal are at least on par w/ Amanita
>>
>>62986003
I always thought that track was overrated. Something seems insincere about it.
>>
i enjoyed it, the pre album hype made me want to go through their entire back catalog, stuff like singles and non-album tracks

(sung tongs and after)
sung tongs > strawberry jam > feels > merriweather > chz = painting with

(pre sung tongs)
spirit > hcti > danse = hollindagainn > campfire songs

(EPs / singles)
water curses + safer > prospect hummer > people + fickle cycle > fall be kind = honecyomb / gotham / monkey
>>
>>62986222
Spot on, pretty much exactly how i'd rank them. Always enjoyed Water Curses, People and Prospect Hummer EPs way more than Fall Be Kind
>>
>>62986222
Honeycomb/Gotham is underrated desu
>>
Find a single review of this album whose criticisms aren't just "it's not as good as/the same as their old stuff". I dare you.
>>
>>62986190
The ending is glorious man.. listen again. I just realized how great it was recently
>>
>>62986222
do a full ranking senpai

u forgot crimson too (goat track)
>>
>>62986346
absolutely. if honeycomb, gotham and crimson were on chz instead of father time, pulleys and mercury man, it would probably be under or equal to feels
>>
>>62986396
That's what I don't really like about it. The two halves don't really fit together - in fact that was my main issue with CHz in general. Just seemed like a bunch of clumsily arranged sections/motifs woven together that barely related to each other. That explosive ending just sort of felt like they tacked it on there so the album would end on an "epic" note. I dunno, it rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Though I like it a lot more live. Seems more organic.
>>
>>62986404
yeah crimson is great, meant to include it w/ other chz tracks
wastered is probably under fbk / chz stuff, keep is on par w/ people
that's their entire discog i think, not gonna bother ranking solo / jane / pullhair rubeye stuff
>>
>>62986381
i was looking for this

/thread
>>
Anyone see this review of Painting With? It's so "edgy" it sounds like some butthurt neckbeard from /mu/ wrote it

http://thequietus.com/articles/19709-the-lead-review-animal-collective-painting-with-review
>>
>>62986574
Terrible review, and I generally like The Quietus.
>>
>>62986574
>There was once a time when a new Animal Collective album was something to look forward to. Sure, they were overpraised at first, as American man-bands so often are. But despite the longeurs on those early LPs, unique highs would emerge like fleeting firebirds from the strange tundra laid out by their loops and lo-fi acoustics.

One paragraph in and already fulfilling the "not as good as they used to be!!" AND the "unbearably white/cis male" card. Exceptional.
>>
>>62986479
lel i meant overall ranking senpai

that would be tough for me to do

(p.s. reversed pullhair is real good but i bet you've heard it)
>>
>>62986600

God that "SO WHITTE!@!!" bullshit meme needs to fucking die.
>>
>>62984869
I just listened to this album non-stop all the way to On Delay and every moment was a 10/10 and I'm gonna keep going

I'd venture to say it's their top 3 album. Wanna fight me?
>>
I like this review a lot

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/02/animal-collective/470745/

>The results often feel like optical illusions rendered in sound, which certainly fits the band’s long-running visual aesthetic. On “Hocus Pocus,” the two singers very slightly overlap words in the verses, creating a freaky echoing effect, and then for the chorus get together for a hymnlike and strangely emotional call-and-response. “Vertical” creates a swirling effect with singing in rounds as the lyrics suggest the idea of feeling dwarfed by the universe. On the closer, “Recycling,” Avey Tare and Panda Bear literally switch off every other word, and it’s as if the process of forging two human voices into one entity over the course of the album has been completed.

>The effect is, to be honest, a bit intimidating. It tires the ear sometimes, and the multiplicity of vocal approaches can all can blur into one polyphonic sameness if you’re not paying close attention. Some critics have accused Animal Collective of showing off, using their vocal ping-pong matches like a bad metal band uses guitar solos. I can’t argue that this is one of their best albums, though even now it sounds better with each listen as new details reveal themselves. What’s inarguble, though, is that the chaos and density allows for powerful payoffs when the two singers stop bantering and instead converge in harmony. The bridge on “FloriDada,” for example, is as glorious a musical passage as I’ve encountered in 2016.
>>
>>62986756
>tfw need to rely on the fucking atlantic for a decent music review

We have strayed far from God's light.
>>
An album this fucking catchy and melodious should never be panned. What's wrong with todays black obsessed society?
>>
>>62986636

I'd say top 5 for sure.. Very consistent album, from front to back every song has something enjoyable about it
>>
I HEAR IT DOUBLEY CLEAR
>>
>>62983949
Natural Selection, Spilling Guts, and Summing the Wretch are all weak as fuck. Everything else is fantastic. Except Recycling which is only decent. It's not awful but it's one of their worst closers actually now that I think about it. Even CHz had an amazing closing track.
>>
Recycling is fucking amazing and I have no idea why so many people are sleeping on it.
>>
dude its just not great, we want great, it wasnt it
>>
there is no point in listening to music that you dont think is great. we dont have time for that shit
>>
>>62989191
>>62989200
It was great imo
>>
>>62989191
>we want great, it wasn't it
DUDE
>>
>>62989191
>>62989200
Get over yourself faggot. You sound like a p4k writer wanna be
>>
it's not revolutional, but still a solid AnCo album
also BAGELS FOR EVERYONE
>>
i love the songs a lot, my main problem is the production. a lot of times there will be really interesting instruments/samples/etc that are just kinda burried under the repetitive percussion/bass/synth sounds. Overall I still enjoy the album, more than CHz
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.