[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
What went wrong?
>>
what went wrong with your perception of such a beautiful album
>>
Nothing
>>
better than Centipede by far
>>
>>62618907
>>62618944
>>62618893

Likely samefag or a group of delusional retards.
>>
Nothing.
>>
>>62618877
nothing
>>
>>62618963
>stop liking what I don't like
Wut?
>>
>>62618963
Or maybe youre the delusional retard
>>
>>62618963
likely a p4k drone
>>
They weren't black guys
>>
It's way too short.

Not so much in the sense that "I liked it so much that i never wanted it to end!" rather than the songs pass you by so fast, almost instantly transitioning to the next song that there's no room for the listener to emotionally engage.

I understand that making the album short was intentional and it was a big part of the concept but I feel like just tacking on 5-10 more minutes(slower build ups and maybe one more golden girl tier song) would have helped the album a lot. Still loved it tho

Just my two cents i'm not a fuckin expert or anything
>>
the album is mediocre compared to their other stuff. Stop it fanboys, you look like the kanyefags defending TLOP.
>>
Too le quirky le fun album
middle of the road trite shit
>>
Is /mu/ finally going to stop listening to pitchfork? Is this the last straw?
>>
>>62620506
Hi fantanodrone

think every album is 6/10 right?
>>
>>62620603
It looks like it. When CHz came out, people ended up hating it. Now people are sticking with PW
>>
This album is, in so many fucking ways, AnCo's very own At War With the Mystics. It's a fine album, and definitely has some pretty fantastic songs on it. Critics are just more focused on the AnCo legacy than the actual music; clearly reflecting in the scores.
>>
if they were all black and made this album it would be AOTY
>>
>>62621060
Of course it would, there is no question about that
>>
>>62618877
Your taste
>>
File: DJAARONELLIS.png (136 KB, 1466x901) Image search: [Google]
DJAARONELLIS.png
136 KB, 1466x901
>>
>>62620973
Just to elaborate:
Flaming Lips' At War With the Mystics (which is a definitely a pretty good album) also got 6.something, on the basis that some P4 tard was expecting The Soft Bulletin 2.0. When Flaming Lips delivered what was essentially a strange pop-rock record instead, every got disappointed. Even people /mu/ to this day on age will still hate on it for no apparent reason other than memes.
>>
>>62621131
>Flaming Lips' At War With the Mystics (which is a definitely a pretty good album)
lol
>>
File: 1452898102676.jpg (49 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1452898102676.jpg
49 KB, 330x319
>>62621108
It's at 71 on Metacritic now

>yfw it slips below 70
>>
>>62621131
I used to love The Flaming Lips, and even back then I used to absolutely hate At War With the Mystics.
>>
>>62621326
And you're entitled to that opinion. That doesn't change that most FL fans hating on ATWTM came from the hipster crowd. Exactly like p4k and their readers.
>>
>>62618877
Nothing, its a good album OP
>>
It's good, but there's no songs I can really sing along to yah know?£:

Also I feel like it's not enough like FloriDada and too much like lying in the grass
>>
>>62621632
>not enough like FloriDada and too much like lying in the grass
And thank god for that.
>>
>>62621441
>That doesn't change that most FL fans hating on ATWTM came from the hipster crowd
This is wrong. If you'd ever posted on their Bored you'd know it's the most hated album, which brought in the most casual fans (aside from Yoshimi, also hated).
>>
>>62621847
That doesn't really mean I'm wrong. It just means that they attracted a lot of hipsters.

ATWTM is, as always with these bands, not even for everyone. It's still highly influenced by their old space-rock / noise era, but like Painting With, takes it to more cohesive and well implemented levels. (TSB and Yoshimi did not share much with their previous releases. ATWTM was is ways their first album to look backwards and forwards at the same time).

And you strike the exact point I'm trying to address

>which brought in the most casual fans

Again, there's a direct correlation between popularity and hipsters hating an album. AnCo has, in p4k hipster eyes, been painfully open about wanting to make an accessible and high energy album.

I sincerely doubt you can even name one direct aspect of the music in ATWTM that would make you hate it. I mean, you don't have to, you can hate it if you want to, but I highly doubt it goes deeper than just because of "the album" itself, and not the music.
>>
>>62620460
agree
>>62620506
this album is so much better for anco standars than pablo is for kanye standars, which arent even that high.
>>62620603
i really fucking hope so
pitchfork is fucking cancer, they are 100% sell outs by now
and i dont understand why people like something or not just based of these kinda sites ffs how lame can you be
>>62620973
Painting With >>>>>>>>>>>> AWWTM tho, and this comes from a huge flaming lips fan
>Critics are just more focused on the AnCo legacy than the actual music; clearly reflecting in the scores.
if they were trully focused on their legacy they would understand why PW is what it is, p4k just doesnt get anything right, ever
>>62621060
i know this is ebin memein but i hate to admit that there is some truth in your post
>>62621502
this anon be knowing
>>62621679
>not realizing floridada is goat
kys
>>62618877
>What went wrong?
/mu/
memes
p4k
probably fantano dickriders soon too
is a good album
it isnt really as pop as people expected it to be, people were expecting MPP again but this is something different and i like it.
the soundscapes on PW are like the complete opposite than MPP.
>>
>>62622200
>That doesn't really mean I'm wrong
It does
>It just means that they attracted a lot of hipsters.
Note I am talking about fans of the band from before AWWTM. Wouldn't the know better than people like you? Or are they all "hipsters"?
>Again, there's a direct correlation between popularity and hipsters hating an album
That's nice but the main cause of hatred is a lack of evolution in sound, lack of solid songwriting and an overuse of production tricks. It should have been called Treading Water With The Magicians. Most real FLips fans saw through it, and luckily the band evolved directly after that, acknowledging they were just treading water, catering to the festival; crowd that started following them after Yoshimi.
>>
Absolutely nothing you fuck
>>
Nothing familia
>>
the melodies suck
>>
>>62622248
>tfw you get (you)'d 4 times in one post
>>
>>62622383
>Note I am talking about fans of the band from before AWWTM. Wouldn't the know better than people like you? Or are they all "hipsters"?
What do you know about how long I have been listening to FL? What reasonable insight do you have into my past, anon?

Other than that:
>lack of evolution in sound
>Treading Water
Not much so. The album shares extremely little similarity with Yoshimi, TSB, Hear it is, Clouds Taste Metallic, etc. For starters it makes a grand return of noise, distorted guitars on songs like Free Radical and My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion; something completely gone from their two previous records. Flaming Lips has never before than made an organ fueled noise instrumental like Pompeii, or jazzy synth instrumentals like The Wizard Turns On.

What you actually try to say, is that Flaming Lips made moderately accessible music for the third time in a row, obviously wanting to try new things in the directions of pop and more conventional genres, and you and so many other hipsters dislike that. However as always, you try to cover it prettily enough.
>>
Golden Gal is best song debate me
>>
>>62623234
Bagels in Kiev, Recycling, Lying in the Grass and On Delay are all also contenders. It's hard to chose.

Hocus Pocus is worst.
>>
>>62623234

I agree
>>
>>62621231
P4k drones
>>
>>62623377
>not including burglars
>>
>>62623234
>>62623377
>>62623714
Hocus Pocus is literally the best track you imbeciles (but I respect your opinion)

: ^ )
>>
>>62623234
>>62623377
Plebs, golden gal is the only bad song

Spilling Guts
Vertical
Natural Selection
Bagels in Kiev
Recycling
Lying in the Grass
Summing the Wretch
On Delay
Hocus Pocus
The Burglars
Floridada
Golden Gal
>>
>>62623922
Thanks for posting.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6838420
>>
AWWTM is a great fucking album. /mu doesn't and never will know shit about music, except that they can stick their own hands up their ass while they listen to it.
>>
>>62623922

I literally cannot comprehend your opinion
>>
>>62623922
If you reversed this your top 5 would be pretty accurate.
>>
>>62623922
Are you retarded?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.