[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Velvet Underground
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: peanut-underground-1024x519[1].jpg (136 KB, 1024x519) Image search: [Google]
peanut-underground-1024x519[1].jpg
136 KB, 1024x519
Where to start? What's the best?
>>
>>61872428

They have 4 albums. Listen to all of them.

The Velvet Underground & Nico
White Light/White Heat (their least accessible)
The Velvet Underground
Loaded (their most accessible)
>>
>>61872461
Thanks man. What about their solos? Anything worth listening to?
>>
Lou Reed's Transformer is probably the best of the solo work.
His collab with Cale, Songs For Drella, is pretty OK.
The Blue Mask is criminally underrated.

If you want more like the first album, listen to Nico's debut.

If you're a cuck, listen to Metal Machine Music.
>>
>>61872578
Thank you!
>>
>>61872618
Oh, fyi. There is another Velvet Underground album after Loaded... we all pretend it doesn't exist. It's VU after everyone but Doug Yule was gone... in other words it's dreadful.

Avoid Squeeze like the plague.
>>
>>61872668
It ain't that bad if you imagine it as a Doug Yule solo album instead of a VU album.

Even Yule hated that it was labeled a VU album.
>>
My favorite Velvet Underground material is on their 1969 self titled and John Cale's album Music for a new Society
>>
>>61872578
I think Berlin is Reed's best unless you count Lulu
>>
>>61872578
you forgot to mention Deserthore (and marble index)
>>
>>61872816
Oh shit, I always forget that one. Is it really that good? I've always seen it as largely forgettable, outside of like 3 or 4 gut-wrenching tracks.
>>61872881
Desertshore is pretty ok, but Marble Index is ehhh
>>
>>61872428
Take it from a big fan, you wanna start with velvet underground and nico (banana cover)
>>
>>61873155
I love it to death man.
would rec to anyone
>>
>>61872461
>4 albums
You're forgetting Squeeze.

Don't listen to Squeeze, OP. Just don't
>>
>>61873267
whats so bad about squeeze?
>>
>>61873335
It's a poor quality Doug Yule solo album and not in the spirit of TVU at all.
>>
>>61872461
You're a pleb if you think there's anything inaccessible about any VU release, they're all on about the same level other than Loaded
>>
>>61873505
You don't leave your house much, do you?
>>
Advice: try some stuff like Pixies, "Queen Bitch," Sex PIstols, whatever you're into that the VU inspired. It'll give you a basis. You'll get a ton of "YOOOOO THIS IS WHERE THEY GOT X FROM" moments.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.