[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rick Wakeman, Mick Ronson, Carlos Alomar and Brian Eno are literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: bowie_aladin_sane_1000px.jpg (191 KB, 1000x1107) Image search: [Google]
bowie_aladin_sane_1000px.jpg
191 KB, 1000x1107
Rick Wakeman, Mick Ronson, Carlos Alomar and Brian Eno are literally the main thing that made him interesting, without them he's corny
>>
>>61802260
>people cooperate to make better things
gee, it's not like everything about humanity works like that
>>
>Both Mick Ronson and David Bowie die of liver cancer
>>
>>61802298
You miss the point
>>
>>61802336
and you're going full autist with this thread
>>
>>61802360
By giving my opinion?
>>
>>61802379
by bashing Bowie with no reason at all
>>
>>61802400
Literally stated the reason
>>
Ive learned how important Carlos Alomar was to his mid to late 70s career.

>literally wrote fame
>recruted all the background singers for Young Americans.
>wrote the best riffs from station to station
>helped write sister midnight/red money.
>>
>>61803150
He was practically the sound of Bowie in the mid 70's

>tfw 99% of /mu/ are filthy casuals who worship Bowie but don't even know who these 4 are
>>
>>61802260
Jesus christ, do you expect every single solo artist to be a multi-instrumentalist/producer or else he's a fraud? Those people were extremely important to his career, but they weren't responsible for it, Bowie was. Bowie (as 99% of solo artist) couldn't do every single thing in his albums, so he hired people (including these 4) to produce and to play instruments he couldn't play (he played guitar and keyboards, but not as good as Wakerman, Ronson, or Alomar). Bowie wasn't the first artist to hire a producer and a back up band.
>>
Tony Visconti was way more important than Eno, why does hardly anyone mention him? He co-produced loads of his albums including the Berlin trilogy, unlike Eno.
>>
>>61803587
They're not just mere producers or back up musicians, they were literally the sound of those albums
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpFYhMPJ6Qw&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>61803150

luther vandross did the YA vocal arrangements
>>
Eno was a big part sure, but he doesn't even get a producer credit on the trilogy, unlike Visconti. More people should listen to Outside, Eno actually produced that.
>>
>>61803801
Hi tony
>>
>>61802260
>not Mike Garson and Robert Fripp
Pleb. You're wrong anyway, he was a great songwriter and vocalist.
>>
Bowie was a great musician but his real talents were his ability to reinvent himself, take the right influences from the right places, and to surround himself with fantastic musicians.
>>
None of those guys were on Diamond Dogs and it was a fine album.
>>
>>61802260
Why couldn't you have taken his place...
>>
>not loving his knack for vocal delivery
>>
>>61802321
hell be fine
>>
>>61804783
Fripp only played on two albums
>>
>>61804783
>Mike Garson
Absolutely irrelevant
>Robert Fripp
He contributed greatly to songs in Heroes and Scary Monsters, but not to the extent of the guys already mentioned. Plus Eno deserves the credit for bringing him in.

>>61804975
>None of those guys were on Diamond Dogs and it was a fine album.
Not really
>>
Now you realise you can't make a good album or really do anything worthy on your own. There's always talented people behind the one individual who gets the credit.
>>
>>61803975

That's how music works........it's sounds.....
>>
>>61808227
Huh?
>>
File: 1446597010307.jpg (596 KB, 1115x1600) Image search: [Google]
1446597010307.jpg
596 KB, 1115x1600
>>61808237
>>61803975
>they were literally the sound of those albums

You mean to tell me the musicians who played the instruments on the album were the sound of the album?!
>>
bowie wrote the music and had other people play it.
You know brian wilson didnt play any of the music on pet sounds.
here is a video of the guy bowie got to do the piano on life on mars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogv7tD18gs
>>
>>61808273
You're quite slow aren't you

Brian Eno was the sound of Low
Rick Wakeman was the sound of Hunky Dory
Mick Ronson was the sound of Ziggy Stardust
Carlos Alomar was the sound of Station to Station
>>
>>61808300

It's worth mentioning that Bowie was still a multi instrumentalist, and often played an instrument's part to his band on his piano so they could get a sense of it since he didn't often record demos.

That being said, he knew he wasn't a particularly talented musician and wanted to work with the best to make the best music possible.
>>
>>61808334

...you realize he was making fun of you right?
>>
>>61808334
>You're quite slow aren't you

this is ironic
>>
>>61808383
>>61808409
I realize (you) were making a poor attempt at sarcasm while completely missing the point
>>
>>61808359
i have nothing against people hiring other musicians to play the music they wrote
you ever see an orchestra, the composer writes the music and the orchestra plays it
>>
>>61808438
Except the musicians mentioned in this thread actually wrote the parts they played while also shaping the whole aesthetic of the album

Good thing Bowie was good at translating that into the Pop world
>>
>>61808438
You have no point. Those albums weren't made because Bowie called them all on the phone and told them to make him an album to sing over.
>>
>>61802260

can we now talk about how corny Rick Wakeman is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkU6IK47dnQ
>>
>>61808508
justice collab when?
>>
>>61808482
if you watched the video i posted the piano guy says bowie had a brilliant ear for melody and chord structures and would tell him how to do it

>>61808300

there is/was a thing called session musicians before computers took over mate
>>
TIL being the performer who has FINAL SAY on what ends up on their album is bad... for some reason.
>>
>>61802260

He self produced diamond dogs, which in my opinion is is actual best album, the album in which he achieved his personal artistic completion at least.

Obviously, Mike Garson was still making the magic happen though.
>>
>>61806550

wow you have to be the dumbest fucker to ever listen to bowie
>>
>>61802260

Maybe all of them are corny without Bowie.

Bowie had the voice and the look.

Have you listened to solo Eno?

It's missing Bowie making it magical.
>>
This idiot will never make it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUzT3kepiY
>>
>listening to ugly emaciated pedo cocaine addicts who make shitty bland music
this isn't even bait btw, you just want it to be because you are in denial about your dubious life choices, like listening to bowie or even making him a big part of your identity
>>
>>61802260

Bowie was the meta-genius who could take raw talent like that, ring in someone like Fripp, Belew or SRV, and use them as a regular human would use a patch on a synth or an effect in the rack. Bowie shaped that music and shaped what was played, anyone who would deny that is laughably ignorant.
>>
>>61803150

You left off
>got paid to do it
>would have been another nobody without Bowie
>>
>>61802260
That's not what makes Bowie interesting. The fact that he produced Raw Power by Iggy and The Stooges is what makes Bowie interesting.

>>61803801
Speaking of Raw Power, although Bowie produced it, Tony Visconti and Main Man productions made the album possible.
>>
>>61804137
feel like outside is the latter period bowie most due for critical reevaluation. a lot of really strong and interesting songs on that one. i like to listen to it as a conclusion to a trilogy with aladdin sane and diamond dogs.
>>
>>61811156
>The fact that he produced Raw Power
" ...the most absurd situation I encountered when I was recording was the first time I worked with Iggy Pop. He wanted me to mix Raw Power, so he brought the 24-track tape in, and he put it up. He had the band on one track, lead guitar on another and him on a third. Out of 24 tracks there were just three tracks that were used. He said 'see what you can do with this'. I said, 'Jim, there's nothing to mix'. So we just pushed the vocal up and down a lot. On at least four or five songs that was the situation, including "Search and Destroy." That's got such a peculiar sound because all we did was occasionally bring the lead guitar up and take it out."

What a genius!
>>
>>61806550
literal imbecile
>>
>>61811230
angry
>>
>>61811234
ITS TRUE I AM ANGRY THAT STUPIDITY ON THE INTERNET ISNT PUNISHABLE BY DEATH BUT THATS THE WORLD WE LIVE IN AND I WILL JUST HAVE TO DEAL
>>
>>61811258
kill yourself
>>
>>61802260
so u sayin that bowie was the dj khaled of his time?
>>
>>61811291
more like the kanye of his time
>>
>>61809447
solo Eno is much better than Bowie
>>
It's something normal though. Producers do arrangements and sometimes take a very basic and boring song and turn it into a great one, that's their job. also, they don't have any problem to write songs for their artists, they do it all the time.
Session musicians are similar, you tell the guitarist a description of what you want and they'll do what they can (if you don't already have an exact idea for some guitar parts).

(I know some producers and session musicians.)
>>
>>61806550
>Mike Garson
>Absolutely irrelevant

baka at this guy
>>
My understanding/assumption is that he would write an initial song/idea, play and teach it to session musucians/his band a d have them do their thing, then take what they came up with and direct them to focus it in and achieve his vision for the piece

this is how most bands where one person is a definite "creative leader" work, they have a skeleton, have the rest of the band fill in the blanks, then fine tune it to realize what they imagined for the song
>>
>>61811219
I mean short of having them completely re-record it there really wasn't anything else he could do if that was actually how it was recorded

blame whoever recorded them for being an illiterate fuckin moron
>>
>>61802260
David bowie worked with many artists and they co wrote a lot of work with him.
But the fact doesn't change anything about his work, he chose great amazing musicians to work with him and it turned to be successful
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.