[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>this is the best grunge album according to Scaruffi >not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
>this is the best grunge album according to Scaruffi
>not a Nirvana album
>not an Alice in Chains album
>not even an early Soungarden album
>fucking Superunknown

I won't even mention that Black Hole Sun is one of the worst songs ever made.

Fuck, even Pearl Jam is better than Memegarden.
>>
>>61454654
Is that true? Is it even humanly possible for /mu/ to not dickride something Scaruffi likes?
>>
grunge is shit, who cares
>>
File: 1451456906508.gif (910 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1451456906508.gif
910 KB, 250x188
>>61454654

>even Pear Jam is better

Hold the fucking phone OP

Opinion discarded, Superunknown officially /mu/core because fuck you, all in favor say aye.
>>
Superunknown is the best grunge album though. I say that as a major fan of all those bands.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (139 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
139 KB, 1920x1080
>>61454868
Eh. I think grunge peaked with Tad.
>>
>>61454896
I like a lot of the more underground grunge bands, but better than Soundgarden? Nah
>>
Soundgarden is literally the only good grunge band. Although Scaruffi is incorrect, because Badmotorfinger is clearly the superior album.
>>
>>61454868
Objectively, Dirt.
>>
>>61454845
Aye...Also I genuinely think its the best Soundgarden album...
>>
Grunge is pretty awful, for the most part. There are only 2 good songs on Dirt.
>>
>>61454690
This
>>
>>61454689
Scruff thinks Korn's s/t is better than most /mu/core

also the proper ranking is

Nirvana > Mudhoney > Treepeople > The U-Men > Soundgarden up to '93 > AIC > Love Battery > Soundgarden after '93 > Pearl Jam
>>
>>61454845
On one hand I think Superunknown deserves a million times more credit than it gets here, but on the other hand I don't want one of my top five albums of all time to become a meme. I'll say nay.
>>
>>61455103
stop with the nirvana meme
>>
>>61455103
Nirvana only had one grunge album, it's god but then they made a pop punk one and then a noise album.
>>
>this is the best grunge album according to Scaruffi
he's not wrong

>not a Nirvana album
>not an Alice in Chains album
both bands are good but nothing they've made comes close to soundgarden

>not even an early Soundgarden album
>fucking Superunknown
yes because superunknown is their best album

>I won't even mention that Black Hole Sun is one of the worst songs ever made.
>Fuck, even Pearl Jam is better than Memegarden.
here's your reply
kill yourself you autistic fuckhead
>>
>>61454845
Aye. Best grunge followed by Nevermeme
>>
>>61455216
Bleach is honestly as much of a noise album as In Utero, just listen to Paper Cuts of the Love Buzz solo
>>
>>61455227
>both bands are good but nothing they've made comes close to soundgarden
AiC>SG
>>
>>61455103
Treepeople: Guilt, Regret, Embarassment , 5/10
Treepeople: Just Kidding , 5/10
Treepeople: Actual Re-Enactment, 5/10

only one of those I hadn't heard (and I guess I won't be)
>>
File: Dirt.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Dirt.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
>>61454654
Best grunge album coming through
>>
File: topkek.gif (492 KB, 176x216) Image search: [Google]
topkek.gif
492 KB, 176x216
>>61455353
>people actually think this
>>
>>61455353
This is what "le wrong generation" kids say...The next line I'm expecting is for you to tell me that Layne Staley is a better singer than Chris Cornell...
>>
>>61455353
really no
>>
Bleach > Incesticide > Alice in Chains > Jar of Flies > In Utero > Screaming Life > Nevermind > Ultramega OK > Louder than Love > Dirt > Superunknown > Sap > Facelift > Badmotorfinger > Down on the Upside > Vs. > Ten
>>
>>61454654
Scaruffi gave Nevermind an 8/10 originally
>>
>>61455103
>Treepeople
who even is this
>>
>>61455556
i'm the guy he replied to. i can agree layne staley was a better singer than really any other grunge singer at the time, but as a band aic doesn't stand a chance against soundgarden or nirvana. but you still have to admit that Staley was an incredible singer
>>
File: 216033_1[1].jpg (5 KB, 285x285) Image search: [Google]
216033_1[1].jpg
5 KB, 285x285
>>61454654
Agreed, Memegarden is seriously so fucking overrated

>"This song marks the first time I ever blew on a guitar. I put the guitar down on the ground near the amp to get a humming feedback, as opposed to a squealy one, and blew across the strings in rhythm with the drums. There's probably some obscure Mississippi blues guitarist like 'Blind Lemon Pledge' who's done that before, but 'Flower' is the first time any rock band had recorded the sound of someone blowing across the strings. It sounds like a sitar."

DUDE BLOWING ON STRINGS LMAO
>>
>>61455688
>i can agree layne staley was a better singer than really any other grunge singer at the time
I think at his peak Chris Cornell might have been the best singer of the 90s, along with Jeff Buckley and a few others. Staley was certainly right up there, though. They were all great.

>but as a band aic doesn't stand a chance against soundgarden or nirvana
I think they stand up with both of them, although I think SG > AIC and AIC > Nirvana.

>but you still have to admit that Staley was an incredible singer
Definitely. His voice deteriorated big time somewhere in the mid 90s, though. I know he was going through serious problems, but I was listening to some of AIC's Unplugged earlier today and his voice was rough at times. If it wasn't for that, their Unplugged would be by far and away my favorite.
>>
>>61455518
kill urself my man

>>61455582
>>61455556
not at all. if you take out the vocals AiC is far more interesting musically and have way better riffs. SG ride way too much on Cornell's vocal talent. Hence why King Animal is absolute trash.

SG does not have anywhere near the soul of AiC. Sure SG sounds more like Zeppelin & Sabbath than maybe any other band but AiC sound pretty fucking original. Name another band that sounds like AiC... there really isn't one at all.

AiC even lost their lead singer yet they're still putting out better music than Soundgarden these days.

Jerry is a better guitarist than Chris & Kim combined.

I used to think SG was better than AiC but I realised that AiC is definitely the superior band. They might not be as technically good as Soundgarden or as diverse, but what they do they do better and they write far catchier songs, which is a pretty big feat for a band as dark as AiC. I'll also mention the riffs again, because they are very few bands that have better riffs than AiC... maybe like 5.
>>
>>61455688
He was too nasally, I like him as a frontman, but Chris is really the only member of that whole genre that I can take seriously as a singer. I like Layne more as a rockstar than a singer, and I think he was a cool person.
>>
>>61454654
>61454654
JAR OF FLIES
END OF DISCUSSION
>>
Soundgarden and AIC are both fucking trash

The only good "grunge" bands are Nirvana, Melvins and Mudhoney.
>>
>>61455993
So...having talent is trash? Fuck off.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 480x317) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 480x317
The best grunge stuff is probably KARP, 64 spiders/catbutt, green river/mudhoney, napalm beach, malfunkshun, u men. Melvins too i guess. I dunno grunge is so damn hard to define because every bands a little different from the era.
>>
>>61455868
>if you take out the vocals AiC is far more interesting musically and have way better riffs. SG ride way too much on Cornell's vocal talent.
No way, no how.

>SG does not have anywhere near the soul of AiC.
Just because SG wasn't full of heroin addicts doesn't mean they were less soulful.

>Name another band that sounds like AiC... there really isn't one at all.
Agreed. The same can be said for SG. Before anyone says LZ/BS, they really don't sound like them at all.

>AiC even lost their lead singer yet they're still putting out better music than Soundgarden these days.
BGWtB was great, I must say. That said, King Animal was at least pretty good and TDPDH really wasn't all that. It was good, but not BGWtB good. Jerry's been writing AIC style material on his own ever since before the band first broke up. It kind of makes sense that they would get into the groove more quickly than SG.

>Jerry is a better guitarist than Chris & Kim combined.
I agree he's definitely the best guitarist.

>They might not be as technically good as Soundgarden or as diverse
understatement

They're both great bands, but Soundgarden always has my vote.
>>
>>61456065
grunge isn't even a real genre

it's like indie
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 300x294) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 300x294
>>61456108
Yea i always assumed it was just the commercial term for flannel and no fun anxiety problems that only some long haired macho could fix with his octave range. I associate the word with ugly seattle sound music, grimy punk on wacked drugs. One of my favorite quotes about really any music scene comes from the great early grunge comp another pyrrhic victory. The Seattle scene is just a bunch of longhair pussy faggots sitting in front of their TVs watching re-runs of "The Mod Squad", drinking Jim Beam, popping pills,sleeping with their sisters, and making some of the ugliest music i've ever heard. I kinda like it.'
>>
Part 1/2

>>61456106
>No way, no how.
Taking away vocals, I think Badmotorfinger is their most musically interesting album. Half of Superunknown sounds the same, it's basically just sludge that isn't too heavy

AiC has a more distinct sound to the music, which I think is the mark of Jerry being a perfectionist which is what I get from his music. It's more precise compared to SG. Overall, I think AiC have far more interesting and memorable riffs.

>Just because SG wasn't full of heroin addicts doesn't mean they were less soulful.
The most soulful AiC song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfp3X_BC3dg

The most soulful SG song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsPRfyMzxMU

SG just sounds phony in comparison. Despite being dark and pretty heavy, AiC always had a certain vulnerability about their music. Which is very different compared to the more macho/cock rock thing SG had going on (at least up to Superunknown). It's nothing to do with drugs, but Layne just had a more soulful voice And the harmonies with Jerry are just god tier. Jerry is also a really good vocalist, he has a really nice sounding voice. Kind of soothing.

>Agreed. The same can be said for SG. Before anyone says LZ/BS, they really don't sound like them at all.
Badmotorfinger is the ultimate Sabbath/Zeppelin love-child
>>
Part 2/2

>>61456106
>BGWtB was great, I must say. That said, King Animal was at least pretty good and TDPDH really wasn't all that. It was good, but not BGWtB good. Jerry's been writing AIC style material on his own ever since before the band first broke up. It kind of makes sense that they would get into the groove more quickly than SG.

King Animal is absolutely boring and a disgrace to their legacy. It would have been better if they never got back to better. It really is a cash grab imo. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but at least put out a decent album FFS.

I'll agree that TDPDH isn't as good as BGWtB (which was fucking excellent) but it's still pretty good. AiC just have an incredibly high standard.

>I agree he's definitely the best guitarist.
J.C is god tbqh. His solo albums are out of this world

>understatement
Doesn't change anything

>They're both great bands, but Soundgarden always has my vote.
I'm not saying I don't like SG or they're bad or anything, SG is one of my absolute favourite bands, but I couldn't live if I could never hear AiC again. I wouldn't say the same for SG.
>>
>>61456429
>Taking away vocals, I think Badmotorfinger is their most musically interesting album.
I can't argue with this. Great album.

>The most soulful SG song:
>Boot Camp
Props on that one, it's one of my top SG choices. Strange AIC pick though. I'd say there are four other songs on JoF alone that hit harder than I Stay Away. Still, no bad picks possible from that album.

>SG just sounds phony in comparison.
No way, man. AIC definitely had more cry-along songs but that doesn't mean they were more soulful by any means. Both bands just manifested those themes in different ways. I guess that's just where our opinions differ. As for the rest of that statement I don't disagree with any of the good things you say about AIC. Agreed 100%.

>Badmotorfinger is the ultimate Sabbath/Zeppelin love-child
It doesn't sound like either band, though.

1/2
>>
>>61456447
2/2

>King Animal is absolutely boring and a disgrace to their legacy. It would have been better if they never got back to better.
I don't agree with what you said, nor do I agree with what I'm about to say, but that statement just echoed the voices of countless AIC fans.

>It really is a cash grab imo. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but at least put out a decent album FFS.
Think what you want, but by that measure whose reunion isn't a cash grab? Besides, like you said, there's nothing wrong with that.

>J.C is god tbqh. His solo albums are out of this world
Yes they are indeed.

>Doesn't change anything
I think it changes a lot of things when it comes to determining who's a better band.

>I'm not saying I don't like SG or they're bad or anything, SG is one of my absolute favourite bands, but I couldn't live if I could never hear AiC again. I wouldn't say the same for SG.
For myself I can say that my life would be much emptier if either band was missing.
>>
>>61454654
I've only listened to 2 songs of soundgarden and the only grunge band I know is Nirvana, but Black Hole Sun is a pretty cool song. What's wrong about it?
>>
>>61456937
nothing is wrong with it. OP is fucking retarded
>>
>>61456738
>No way, man. AIC definitely had more cry-along songs but that doesn't mean they were more soulful by any means. Both bands just manifested those themes in different ways. I guess that's just where our opinions differ. As for the rest of that statement I don't disagree with any of the good things you say about AIC. Agreed 100%.
Try Down in a Hole. Soundgarden doesn't have anything that really comes close to that.

>It doesn't sound like either band, though.
It sounds exactly like a cross between Zeppelin and Sabbath but with a more modern sound.

>I don't agree with what you said, nor do I agree with what I'm about to say, but that statement just echoed the voices of countless AIC fans.
There's nothing redeeming about the album. It doesn't even sound like any effort went into it. It's basically a meme version of Soundgarden.

>I think it changes a lot of things when it comes to determining who's a better band.
Nope, AC/DC basically have one style, yet are you going to tell me some shitty garage band somewhere that plays 5 different styles is better because they're more diverse?
>>
>>61454845
fuckin aye
fucking asshole not liking black hole sun
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVELaCbxiVM best grungr
>>
>>61454845
aye
>>
Nirvana is the only good grunge band, they had god tier melodies.
>>
>>61457159
>Nope, AC/DC basically have one style, yet are you going to tell me some shitty garage band somewhere that plays 5 different styles is better because they're more diverse?

AC/DC are awful tho
>>
>>61458042
>AC/DC are awful tho
literally kill yourself
>>
>>61458088
Not that anon but they really are.
>>
>>61455103
Treepeople are trash and the umen aren't even grunge
>>
File: Melvins-eggnog[2].jpg (67 KB, 302x300) Image search: [Google]
Melvins-eggnog[2].jpg
67 KB, 302x300
Melvins > Nirvana > Babes in Toyland > Screaming Trees > Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Mudhoney > Love Battery > Stone Temple Pilots > Pearl Jam > everything else
>>
>>61458148
kill yourself too

let me guess... you both heard 5 songs on the radio, commercials, sportings events etc and based your opinion on that
>>
>>61458214
congratulations, you are retarded
>>
>>61458224
solid arguments family
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.