[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to go through The Beatles discography. How is it and what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
I want to go through The Beatles discography. How is it and what should I know before I dive in?
>>
>>61423361
It's obviously great and just start with rubber soul and go through chronologically
>>
>>61423361
Hard Day's Night onward plus the Hey Jude comp covers most everything worth listening
>>
>>61423361
start with revolver
>>
File: cd-rev-beatles-ys.gif (110 KB, 468x466) Image search: [Google]
cd-rev-beatles-ys.gif
110 KB, 468x466
>>61423361

>friend suggests I listen to The Beatles on acid
>accidentally put this on shuffle
>had a great time, anyway
>>
>>61423437
this
>>
>>61423361
Keep in mind that up until you get to Sgt Pepper, the U.S. discography and the British discography are quite different. It's only when they release Sgt Pepper that the U.S. and British discography mirror each other, except that Magical Mystery Tour was released as an E.P. in England only containing songs from side one of the U.S. album. It was finally released as an album in England in 1976.

From 1963-65, they come off as a typical, light hearted mainstream pop band. Some would even say boy band. After 1965, they started smoking pot, and, while still maintaining their light hearted mainstream pop sensibilities, the songs tend to get musically deeper. It's subtle, but noticable. in 1966, they discover LSD, and the music tends to get a little trippy, but still maintain their pop group image. After 1967, they go full blown psychedelic until 1968, when they try to go back to being a basic bare bones rock and roll band, and then they break up in 1969, although it wouldn't be announced until 1970.

I'm a fan of all their music, so, it's all good, as far as I'm concerned.
>>
Don't go through it chronologically. Use some arbitrary reason like how much you like the cover art. Get a towel to clean up.
>>
I'd start rubber soul and just go up from there. Or start at the white album since that's the best album
>>
>>61423361
Meet the beatles
>>
Start off with Please Please Me. It is a great entry to their older stuff. It has some of my favorite old-timey jams on there (Boys, Twist and Shout, Please Please Me). Then move on to With The Beatles and enjoy the squeaky clean pop that it produces into your earholes.

You can skip all the lame-o singles and "Beatles For Sale" and get right back into the good stuff with Rubber Soul. "Help!" is before this one, but it only has like 3 songs that aren't just boring tunes. So Rubber Soul is a good turning point. There isn't a lot on that album that I like a lot, but it is important because it's the first time they try to get a little trippy on you. Also it begins with one of my favorites, "Drive My Car".

And "Revolver". Dude. "Revolver" is probably my favorite Beatles album. It is a little more mellow and just really well done.It has some great psychedelic jams and "Here, There, Everywhere" is easily a single reason to listen to it.

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is a classic. This is actually the only album by the Beatles that I listen to on a regular basis besides Abby Road. Every song on here is gold.

You can kind of skip "Yellow Submarine" but the last three, the White Album, Abby Road, and Let It Be, are the essentials to cap off the discography. And make sure you do it in that order too. Don't skip around because it really tells a story. White album lays the framework for some turmoil and you feel a little more anger. Let It Be is just a "well we are kind of fucked" album and it's okay but not the best. Abby Road is just such a good send off tot he group. The last side is some of the best rock music made and it flows together so well.

I don't know. Or don't. I'm not your dad.
>>
>>61424821
Beatles For Sale, and Beatles 65 are great albums in my opinion. This and Help are the two albums where you can tell they discovered pot, so you can hear how different they sound from previous albums, but I still think those songs are top notch.

Sgt Pepper is better in mono. Just my opinions.
>>
>>61424908
everything from please please me -> white album is better in mono
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.