[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Natalie Cole dead at 65
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: natalie-cole-2.jpg (114 KB, 1024x817) Image search: [Google]
natalie-cole-2.jpg
114 KB, 1024x817
>AP: Natalie Cole, daughter of jazz great Nat "King" Cole who carried on his legacy has died

Though I imagine /mu/ could care less since this isn't the type of music /mu/ listens to
>>
>>61412179
Rip
>>
>>61412179
Did she release anything of merit?
>>
aw
>>
>>61412263
She was basically the Black Female Frank Sinatra Jr.

Famous because Dad was famous
>>
>>61412179
who?
>>
/mu/ makes me sick 300+ topics for lady gaga or grimes or some shit, but when legends like natalie or jai paul is brought up…people get quiet
>>
>>61412305
This. She's still relatively respectable tho
>>
File: 1439268959230.png (261 KB, 727x720) Image search: [Google]
1439268959230.png
261 KB, 727x720
>could care less
>>
Thank GOD
>>
Rest in Peace
>>
Unforgettable is still one of the best songs ever made.

RIP
>>
One less ugly girl
>>
shell be fine
>>
>>61413026
kek
>>
>>61412263
her duet with her dead dad was pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3iz1dp6Lj4
>>
>>61413129

that was a pretty reddit move before reddit even existed.

meme singer, literal trash.
>>
>>61413217
look at this sad little man letting memes ruin his life
>>
i cannot speak on this subject until i hear what fantano says, since after all he is a major jazz fan
>>
>>61413247
>I'll type this, it'll be funny!
>>
>>61413247
>sees a woman is the artist
>I'm feeling a strong -2
>tran-
>sition
>don't forget a women's place is in the kitchen
>FOREVER
>>
She'd been ill two years ago and got a kidney transplant. Also her brother died in 1995. Longevity apparently doesn't run in the family.
>>
She was a bit more famous than this thread lets on but, I think most people on here are too young to remember how big the Unforgettable single and the album were in the early 90's. I think the album has sold something like over 7 million copies by now.
>>
I literally checked instagram and this was the first thing I saw. Maaan, my heart sank as soon as I saw it. Got Natalie Cole on repeat all day now.
>>
>>61412179
Ah well, good age to go. I myself don't want to live past 65.
>>
>>61413236

lmao look at you. now tell me how making a video with a beloved dead person and a nobody isnt anything but an upvotes capture strategy.
>>
>>61412179
I remember /mu/ not being moved much when Donna Summer kicked it.
>>
>>61413941
Nah thats way too young, especially if you have kids
>>
>some semi-obscure actor who wasn't even one of the most memorable characters on m*a*s*h decades ago dies and gets a sticky on /tv/, but natalie cole gets shunned on /mu/

for shame
>>
File: shelby-fine-china-72224398.jpg (19 KB, 293x190) Image search: [Google]
shelby-fine-china-72224398.jpg
19 KB, 293x190
>>
>>61414089
If you're 65 and your kids aren't fully functional adults who can support themselves, you did something wrong.
>>
>>61414162
>he doesn't want grand kids
do you hate children?
>>
>>61414162
Who wants their parents to die so early?
>>
>>61414048
seek help
>>
>>61412373
>jai paul
>legend
Daily reminder he only released two official tracks
>>
>>61414185
Then again, they might be spared the unpleasantry of caring for a senile vegetable. Seriously human beings weren't designed to go longer than 70.
>>
>>61414276
>human beings weren't designed
i agree
>>
>>61412404
>>>/pol/
>>
>>61414276
Paul McCartney is 73 and perfectly independent. Even if they were vegetables, I'm sure a lot of people would still be appreciative to just have them alive. But you're really underrating modern medicine, people live healthy lives well into their 80s.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJ-89fmdLc

This is a pretty good reason to not want to live to 80-90.

Oh...god...
>>
>>61414403
Chuck Berry is embarrassing but there's plenty of guys who were still pretty good at that age. My dad saw Ravi Shankar on his final world tour when he was like 92 and he was playing better, faster, and tighter than Chuck. Some guys could still deliver the goods at 80-90 (Shankar, Les Paul, Pinetop Perkins, etc), Chuck unfortunately isn't one of them.
>>
>>61414532
He should have taken better care of himself when he was younger and not eaten so much fecal matter. Your mother always told you that poo is bad for you.
>>
>>61414532
It depends on the physical demands of your instrument. Toots Thielemans is the unidsputed GOAT harmonica player of all time, and toured until last year, while he was 92
>>
>>61414532
Ravi Shankar is Indian though, that doesn't count. Everyone knows those guys are like 60 when they're 90 because of the ultra-spicy vegetarian diet.
>>
>>61414572
>It depends on the physical demands of your instrument
Maybe but then a sitar isn't that different from a guitar, is it? And Les Paul never lost his musical chops at 90 years old. He did have to change his playing style to accommodate some physical limitations he had, but he never sounded like a 5 year old banging on a guitar.
>>
pwnd
>>
>>61414341
>73
>still healthy
hell be fine
>>
>>61414652
You play a sitar sitting, which is already way less demanding than performing standing. And nah, it's often a given fact that really old musicians just loose a lot of their playing qualities due to various old age ailments. While of course most famous musician won't decrease to the level of an amateur ( they've been playing for so many years, your technique will be too developped unless you get stuff like rheumatism and what not), they can't perform as well anymore. This even happens to the greatest players.

Compare it to sports. Michael Jordan(unless illness etc.) will definitely still be able to shoot some hoops as an old man, but playing in the NBA is obviously retarded
>>
>>61414789
>And nah, it's often a given fact that really old musicians just loose a lot of their playing qualities due to various old age ailments. While of course most famous musician won't decrease to the level of an amateur ( they've been playing for so many years, your technique will be too developped unless you get stuff like rheumatism and what not), they can't perform as well anymore. This even happens to the greatest players

Whoawhoawhoawhoa. Slow down there. Nobody said at 90 that you were going to be able to do everything you could at 40. However, there's a subtle difference between slowing a bit, maybe changing your playing style to accommodate physical limitations and the horrible, horrible mess that passes for a Chuck Berry concert now which barely even resembles music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kYk2SHuYFM

See here. Pinetop Perkins was still playing fine in his 90s, just not as hard or aggressively as he once did (he used to really pound the keys).
>>
>>61414910
ok I see what you're getting at. nvm.
>>
>>61415073
Yeah...what you said here.

>While of course most famous musician won't decrease to the level of an amateur ( they've been playing for so many years, your technique will be too developped unless you get stuff like rheumatism and what not)

To end up like CB is now takes an exceptional level of fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtvdgETe4Yc

BB King in '13. His playing here clearly isn't Live At The Regal good, but then I wouldn't expect an 87 year old guy to be. But he's at least doing something that sounds like music and not a child banging on a guitar.
>>
>>61414789
Chuck Berry should sit down more while playing might be easier for him.
>>
>>61414266
i know. #GOAT
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 674x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 674x323
>>61414266
>>61415430
>forgot image.jpg
>>
>>61414276
>/mu/ makes me sick 300+ topics for lady gaga or grimes or some shit, but when legends like natalie or jai paul is brought up…people get quiet
i can tell you spent new years alone
>>
>>61414910
playing fine is one thing, and I definitely agree with you that what BB King and Perkins did is way more musical than Chuck's shit, but playing fine is not the same as playing like a great player. That clip is a good example, Perkins still plays fine but his voice is just broken, he's playing like an amateur with a couple of year's practice experience here. With those oldies, it's often just as important 'to just see them, as it can be the last time you've got the chance', than that you will actually expect a phenomenal live concert ( and I'm not dissing that audience mindset, it's up to them why they want to see an artist).

>>61415269
And this is the tragedy of Berry, because he's rock and roll. He's still having the image of the duckwalking rock and roller. People want that Chuck, not a sitting Chuck with an 'introverted' show.
>>
>>61415812
>That clip is a good example, Perkins still plays fine but his voice is just broken, he's playing like an amateur with a couple of year's practice experience here
The guy was like 95. Why be so hard on him? Yeesh.
>>
>>61415911
You remember those stories about people booing BB King because he'd hit a bung note or only play like 5 minutes at a time in his last couple years?

>>61415812
This guy is one of those kind of people who would have heckled the poor SOB because god forbid that an 85 year old diabetic might hit a bung note while playing.
>>
>>61415911
I'm not going hard on him, I just see what I see. I don't deny him the pleasure of still playing concerts at that age, if it makes him happy then why not? And if the audience wants to see it, then why not? But it's just a fact that he doesn't play well anymore. It's understandable but a given at that age
>>
>>61416026
Since ol' Pinetop died in 2011, I'm not sure why you were referring to him in the present tense but w/e.
>>
>>61412179
OP the best advice I can give you is to not come to this board. The average age of posters here is probably 15. This is the worst possible site for any music discussion.
>>
>>61416115
Yeah, i refered to what I saw in the clip, it's shitty grammar, I agree
>>
>>61415812
>playing fine is one thing, and I definitely agree with you that what BB King and Perkins did is way more musical than Chuck's shit, but playing fine is not the same as playing like a great player.

Uh, just where did anyone in here say that at 90 you were still going to be as good as you were at 40? Nobody said that, but you keep putting words in everyone's mouth.
>>
>all these people in here telling me 65 is too young to go
Somehow you're not convincing me with the arguments put forth ITT.
>>
>>61416217
I tried to tell the guy. I said nobody's expecting you to be outstanding at 90, but at least if you can still competently play something resembling music.
>>
>>61416442
Well, it seems like >>61416026 has a little different definition of playing well than you.
>>
She was one of David Archuleta's biggest inspirations, I think.

R.I.P.
>>
>>61416340
70 is the average age of when people die.
>>
>>61416691
Average life expectancy of a white male is 76.
>>
Aaaaa rest in peace :(
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.