[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the main electronic subgenres?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 6
File: JZ.png (155 KB, 871x819) Image search: [Google]
JZ.png
155 KB, 871x819
What are the main electronic subgenres?
>>
nerdcore: idem, edm, new order
goodcore: synthpop, crunk, house
badcore: big house, big house, big house
>>
Electronic
Electronica
Dubstep
Techno
>>
EDM, IDM and hip hop
>>
>>61362097
>Electronic
>Electronica
not genres
>>
>>61362097
kek
>>
dubstep
brostep
>>
>>61362221
and what is brostep?
>>
>>61362244
WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB
>>
>>61362067
House
Trance
DnB
Dubstep (includes Garage and Trap)
IDM (if u r a faggot)
>>
>>61362283
idm is not a genre
>>
Hip hop
Synthpop
Techno
House
Trance
Breakbeat
UKGarage
Downtempo
Ambient
Industrial
Electroacousmatic
Musique concrete
>>
>>61362265
/thread
>>
>>61362244
not dubstep
>>
>>61362067
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Electronic+subgenres
>>
house
deep house
trap
trance
techno

everything in between i guess.
>>
>>61362362
deep house is a subgenre of house...
>>
>>61362313
Perfect.
>>
Was joel born hairless or some shit, looks like a chemo patient
>>
There is no difference in genres. It all sounds the same

>>61362265
yes
>>
>>61362373
I think he meant deeper house
>>
>>61362428
yes, there's deeper house, but that's still a part of house. it's not a separate genre.
>>
>>61362313
Add in Electro and IDM then you're set.
>>
>>61362487
Electro and IDM would both fall under techno (even if electro happened first, ask Jeff Mills, he'd agree).
>>
>>61362067
█▬█ █ ▀█▀
▄▄
█▀█▀█ █▄█ ▄█▀ █ █
▀▀
>>
>>61362507
I would say that electro is pretty distinct from techno, maybe not from as much from Detroit stuff, but definitely a lot of Berlin techno.
I don't think it's fair to class IDM under techno when it borrows a lot from other genres on the list. (Breaks, Industrial, Ambient, Downtempo.)
>>
>>61362507
Not that anon and I agree with you, but wasn't that Juan Atkins who said that? I could be misremembering.

And not all IDM is techno (some is closer to dnb/jungle/breakbeat hardcore) but a large portion of it is, and so I also agree that it doesn't need it's own classification, honestly.
>>
electronic
electronica
dubstep
house
deep house
future garage

the list could go on
>>
>>61362614
>>61362615
IDM started from techno, its a continuation of it so it would fall under the techno umbrella even if it changed more over time.
>>
Hip hop is the only electronic subgenre that matters in 2015.
>>
>>61362639
Not all IDM started from techno, though. But generally, I agree.

>>61362614
Yeah there's the more techno-oriented electro stuff, and then you have the electro that was closer to hip-hop.
>>
>>61362705
True, Bambaataa and Cybotron were pretty different.
>>
Extensive electronic guide with song samples:
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
>>
>>61362313
Electro
Hip hop
Synthpop
Techno
House
Trance
Breakbeat
UKGarage
Downtempo
Ambient
Industrial
Electroacousmatic
Musique concrete

Disco probably deserves its own spot too. I don't think IDM does though.
>>
>>61362746
>Electroacousmatic
>Musique concrete

Is MC not just electroacousmatic music?
>>
Acid Croft
Ambient Dub
Bit Music
Broken Beat
Downtempo
Electro-Industrial
Electronic Dance Music
Electropop
Folktronica
Glitch
Glitch Pop
Grime
Horror Synth
IDM
Illbient
Indietronica
Latin Electronic
Microsound
Minimal Wave
Nu Jazz
Progressive Electronic
Psybient
Synthpop
Synth Punk
Synthwave
Vaporwave
Witch House
>>
>>61362885
>Indietronica
I really hate this term. Folktronica is bad too.
>>
>>61362283
>garage is a subgenre of dubstep
if u have no knowledge of this stuff why not just not post?
>>
>>61362942
what did you expect, yr on /mu/
>>
>>61362885
>includes witch house but not house
>includes indietronica but not techno
>includes illbient but not garage
>includes acid croft but not dubstep

fuck off
>>
>>61362894
Both of those genres make me cringe almost as much as dubstep and vaporwave
>>
>>61362984
i bet youve never even heard proper dubstep
>>
File: 1451431436618.png (286 KB, 648x540) Image search: [Google]
1451431436618.png
286 KB, 648x540
>>
>>61362977
House, techno, garage and dubstep are all under "Electronic Dance Music" you fucking retard.
>>
File: turny.jpg (231 KB, 916x736) Image search: [Google]
turny.jpg
231 KB, 916x736
>>61363000
>>
>>61362885
>Indietronica

So Radiohead?
>>
>>61363002
no, just no mate. "electronic dance music" was always a fallacious term - invented by clueless and lazy journos who hadn't a clue about dance, but even then it was always an umbrella term - not a genre.
>>
>>61362977
yes what im saying is they are all important very much separate genres with their own specific origins and histories.
witch house, indietronica, illbient, glitch pop, acid croft, synth punk, horror synth, psybient etc do not have canons that come even close to the depth of the canons of techno, house, garage, dubstep, jungle/dnb, trance etc but youve given them all separate genres while lumping the actual genres with a proper history under 'electronic dance music' which then confuses it with the overproduced pop bullshit dominating the US these days.
literally /mu/ just needs to stay the fuck out of electronic music you know fucking nothing
>>
>>61362313
Also:
Glitch
Progressive Electronic
Vaporwave
>>
>>61363014
lmao turny
>>
>>61363183
I know it's an umbrella term. EDM and IDM are both umbrella terms that describe a fuck ton of other genres that I don't feel like listing.

>>61363206
OP didn't ask "What are the important genres of electronic music?" He asked for the main subgenres. I don't give a shit if they have a history.

>but youve given them all separate genres while lumping the actual genres with a proper history under 'electronic dance music' which then confuses it with the overproduced pop bullshit dominating the US these days.
So? They doesn't mean it isn't dance music.
>>
>>61363287
>OP didn't ask "What are the important genres of electronic music?" He asked for the main subgenres.
that's the point mate - "edm" isn't a subgenre.
>>
>>61363307
Try reading my first part of my post. I know that it isn't a genre. I just didn't want to list every single genre that could be classified as EDM or IDM when I could just use those terms instead.
>>
>>61363287
how are you not getting this?
he asks for main subgenres and you give him loads of obscure quasi-genres and then lump the ones with a vastly larger world following under electronic dance music
if you don't know anything about this stuff why don't you just stop posting and go make a chart thread fuck me sideways
>>
>>61363336
but op asked for the "main" subgenres and techno, house, garage, dubstep, jungle, drum n bass are certainly more pertinent than witch house, and horror synth etc. why you would stuff them all together under an outdated term but expand on more irrelevant subgenres is beyond me.
>>
Isis trap
Loli core
witch house

this is the future we deserve
>>
>>61363336
house. techno, garage, dubstep, dnb and trance fans worldwide would probably have something to say about you calling them electronic dance music.
>inb4 'hurr durr its electronic and you dance to it'
genre names are not just blunt descriptions of the type of music they are associated with a certain style and the culture around that style.
'electronic dance music' or EDM is associated with huge overproduced stadium pop-dance music played by overpaid self important quasi-DJs who have no real interest in mixing well, good selection or fostering a good atmosphere, they just want to play their own songs chat shit into the microphone jump around and throw cake.
>>
>>61363404
seems like u get it thank u for the backup here
>>
Hiroyuki, can you ban all pardners from speaking about dance music?
>>
Where does Vaporwave stand in all of this? Dungeon synth?
>>
>>61363427
seconded
>>
>>61363364
>>61363404
I guess I misinterpreted what a main genre should be.

>>61363409
That's an extremely biased definition of the term EDM, but I guess you're right about it misrepresenting what the actual genres are. I wasn't trying to trivialize them by tossing them under EDM. I do think that they are main genres, it's just that I thought the term "EDM" would have covered that.
>>
>>61363569
>I guess I misinterpreted what a main genre should be.

For dance music and similar, >>61362313

Electro
Hip hop
Synthpop
Techno
House
Trance
Breakbeat
UKGarage
Downtempo
>>
>>61363569
yeah it is i was being pretty flippant i know its not quite as simple as that. however EDM most definitely does not cover them in how it is used today. this is a point of some salience in the dance music community and if you were to call techno EDM in front of someone who was interested in it, i think they would probably correct you pretty quickly.
>>
>>61363569
The way you're viewing "EDM" (as anything that encompasses dance music) was the popular form of categorization of dance music in the '90s. However it fell out of favor when most of the important and prevalent people in Vsrious dance scenes objected to the lumping together of very distinct genres that have their different histories, and also when journalists were trying to become more knowledgeable about dance in general (same issue with "electronica" and Americans labeling all dance music "techno"). It's an umbrella term that has always drawn ire.

Of course terms and language and context changes, and now EDM has more to do with a different movement. Generally when people say EDM now it's referring to a specific subset of dance genres, often American (brostep, big room, etc) that's popular with festivals. This is another reason why many people object to the term to encompass all dance music.
>>
There are only 2 electronic subgenres: stupid (anything tagged as edm, breakbeat, dubstep, trance etc) and boring (anything tagged as idm, ambient techno, dub, downtempo etc)

Everything else is just micro genre wanking for autists
>>
>>61363720
hey reddit
>>
File: 1448740875007.png (252 KB, 335x335) Image search: [Google]
1448740875007.png
252 KB, 335x335
>>61362067
tfw op is baiting (you)s from "howdy pardner" posts<
tfw you get bait-baited<
triggered
>>
Honestly, the two main subgenres are Breakbeats and House. Everything else is either a derivation, sub-subgenre of those or a fusion of those.
>>
>>61362313
Best list in this thread, but still lacking some genres like UK Bass
>>
>>61364030
Wouldn't that be under UKGarage though?
>>
>>61364030
And wonky
And footwork/juke
Oh and Uk funky or something? That was a thing for a while
>>
>>61362244
Big room electro
>>
>>61364095
Meh its too eclectic to just be described as a subgenre of UKGarage imho
>>
>>61362127
>what are memes
>>
>>61364120
*big room dubstep
>>
Electro (techno and hip hop styles...)
Hip hop (rap, instrumental, turntablism...)
Synthpop (from Kraftwerk to Chvrches)
Techno (technically IDM is originally just ambient techno)
House (pretty obvious)
Trance (best forgotten)
Breakbeat (I guess this includes hardcore genres?)
UKGarage (and all offshoots from dubstep to bass?)
Downtempo (including nu jazz, future jazz, lounge etc)
Ambient (Eno et al)
Industrial (lol I dunno)
Electroacousmatic (EAI, onkyo, lowercase, tape music)
Musique concrete (the originators)
Hardcore (Scooter, Scooter and more Scooter)
>>
>>61364127
If 40 years of techno and house styles come under each, I think UKBass can live under UKGarage.
>>
>>61364101
Wonky and UK Funky would come under UK Garage. Juke and Footwork are House sub-genres.

>>61364127
If it continued to develop into it's own sound then maybe, but it didn't really take a clear direction over where it was going and most of it sounds like Dubstep (which itself is a UK Garage subgenre) or UKG.
>>
File: Electronic_Music_Guide.jpg (2 MB, 4000x2500) Image search: [Google]
Electronic_Music_Guide.jpg
2 MB, 4000x2500
>>61362067
there you go
>>
>>61364211
Why is there nothing for Electroacousmatic and Musique concrete?
>>
>>61364211
No footwork??? Cmon
>>
>>61364256
This was made last year before /mu/ latched onto it.
>>
>>61362313
>>61362746
>>61363582
>>61364161
Why is hip hop a subgenre for electronic music? Hip hop pretty much came from disco and funk in the very late 70s, so that doesn't make sense to me.
>>
>>61364256
The guy who made this hadn't heard of Footwork until it was in it's 3rd phase. Much like the rest of the world which wasn't Chicago.
>>
>>61364282
Its music made electronically with electronic instruments started by a Jamaican DJ who relocated to New York and the whole genre started as street parties with Kool Herc DJ'ing for bboys to breakdance to. Its the quintessential electronic dance music genre.

Today its still electronically produced music.
>>
>>61364282
Yea you're right but a lot of electronic genres originated in hip-hop (like trap, trip hop, drill etc...) so that's why they add hip-hop i guess
>>
>>61364297
>>61364256
I thought Chicago house included footwork. I don't know who made this picture, I guess since RA had some DJ Paypal articles and the podcast, he's gonna be a hipster fav in 2016.
>>
- all samples
- part samples part synthesis
- all synthesis
>>
File: 1447415101156.png (109 KB, 891x833) Image search: [Google]
1447415101156.png
109 KB, 891x833
>>61364282
Why do people think hip hop is funk just because they sampled funk drum breaks.
>>
>>61364211
No noise
No footwork/juke
No electroaccoustic
No musique conrète
No internet microgenres

Apart from that, solid chart
>>
>>61364315
In a way, but it has evolved and grown to much to still be considered just a subgenre imo
>>
>>61364355
It's more of an EDM chart. (EDM as in Electronic Dance Music, not as in Big Room House and White People Trap).
>>
>>61364385
Definitely. Can't get into the sound but it's nice to see stuff without mainstream appeal get some recognition.
>>
>>61364388
>Industrial
>>
there are so many fucking eletronic genres and subgenres and sub sub-genres I really have a hard time recognizing a lot of them

this shit >>61364211 is just barely scratching the surface
>>
>>61364315
I didn't see if Ghetto House was in that pic and if it was you could just put Ghetto House/Juke and leave it there. I think it was made a few years ago and the first I heard anyone talking about Footwork was around 09/10 with Addison Groove - Footcrab (of all things) and the Bangs & Works compilations. I never personally saw it before that and there was a brief period where it was discussed a fair bit on /mu/.

It's been relegated to meme status since DJ Rashad died and people shitpost about it without having listened to it, much like the UK Garage shitposting that used to happen but not as bad since it doesn't get it's own thread.
>>
>>61364425
see
>>61364161

Anything else is a subgenre of these.

Same as say;

Rock
Metal
Punk-rock
Prog-rock
Post-rock
Etc
>>
>>61364211
Shangaan electro?
Kuduro?
Mahraganat?
>>
>>61364435
It already had meme status when DJ Rashad released double cup

Also, why people wanna talk about footwork without listening to it? It's not that hard to get into, and once you're into it, you can easily stomach every release.

Imo footwork will be remembered in 20 the same way jungle is remembered now
>>
Its all just techno.
>>
>>61364564
I was under the impression people were genuinely excited for Double Cup to be released. When it actually came out the most vocal criticism I heard for it was that it was "not muh Footwork" or "this is a Hip-Hop album" and that sort of thing. But I can see what you mean, by having DJ Rashad release something on Hyperdub it did start turning Footwork into a proper meme genre although I bet some people would say that about Footwork being released on Planet Mu (although I disagree, if that hadn't have happened it would have never become as popular at that point in it's lifespan as it is now).

>Imo footwork will be remembered in 20 the same way jungle is remembered now
I don't know about that, I think Jungle is remember because it left a lasting legacy and ended up producing other (admittedly less good) genres from it. If Footwork does that then maybe. Although I do think the length of popularity of Footwork has already been longer than for Jungle, but I wouldn't say it reached the same height of popularity as Jungle did though. Not in England at least.
>>
>>61364282
It was a reaction to disco

Mainly because people in the Bronx (who had grown up on soul and funk and had a reasonable degree of rhythmic literacy) didn't enjoy the dull plodding sound of the 4 on the floor kick drum (music for idiots) and couldn't relate to the gay subculture of Studio 54
>>
>>61362942
Not who you replied to, but while you are correct, u.k. garage might even be called the parent genre of dubstep. Source: used to collect white label and rare garage vinyl from an ebay friend in London.
>>
>>61364564
>Imo footwork will be remembered in 20 the same way jungle is remembered now
No way.
Footwork doesn't have anywhere to go, there's a bit of crossover with Hip-Hop, RnB and Jungle, yes. But nothing really worth talking about.

Jungle is remembered because it has an amazing legacy and because it's not trendy at all.

'ardcore will never die, but you will.
>>
>>61364911
Not "might even be called", it is.
Why do you think dubstep is called DUB-STEP, you fucking idiot?
>>
>>61364912
>it's not trendy at all.
It used to be played on TV m8, it was trendy for a while.
>>
>>61365083
Sure, but it wasn't popular because it was trendy.
Jungle is a scene that built itself.
>>
>>61365099
There was a lot of bandwagoning for it during the end of it's lifespan.

And don't all underground scenes build themselves though? Not sure what you mean by that.
>>
>>61364912

> It has nowhere to go

But you already gave some examples
> jungle-infused footwork
>hip-hop-footwork crossovers

just listen to dj rashads discography and you'll hear the possibilities that are already being explored
>vocal-heavy footwork
>gettho footwork
>uk bass/ idm inspired footwork
>instrumental footwork
>footwork emphasizing on atmosphere
>footwork emphasizing on going hard
>happy footwork
>dark footwork
>soulfull footwork

Also listen to artists like slava and jlin, they're already taking the genre out of its context and doing new, creative things with it
>>
>>61364310
This anon sure knows his shit.
>>
>>61362067
>fail
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.