[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>unironically liking jam bands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: Phish-Boston-Album-cover.jpg (57 KB, 432x433) Image search: [Google]
Phish-Boston-Album-cover.jpg
57 KB, 432x433
>unironically liking jam bands
>>
File: dips fedora.jpg (312 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
dips fedora.jpg
312 KB, 700x700
>>61290787
>pic

Speaking of jam bands.. are there any modern jam bands that are any good? I can't think of any.
>>
>>61290829
Absolutely none. After the 90s, they all started trying to sound like Phish, which is a great band, but you're not pushing the genre forward at all. Imagine if jam bands took influence from genres like post-rock and shoegaze. It would be a lot more interesting.
>>
>ironically liking music
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 176x176) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13 KB, 176x176
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ym7Lsqj90c
>>
Lotus is my favorite band and I've been browsing /mu/ for 5+ years.
>>
Phish are pretty cool. My favorites are the Disco Biscuits, Jerry Joseph and the Jackmormons, and Umphrey's McGee.
>>
>>61290894
>>61290894

https://lotusvibes.bandcamp.com/album/post-rock-set

you guys discredit whole genres a lot.
>>
>>61290829
What defines a "jam band"?
Are Yawning Man a jam band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4e5ySJVNic
>>
>>61290829
The Werks from Ohio are pretty well received
>>
whatever man... finally going to a show on their nye run at msg this year. super excited
>>
>>61290829
Swans is a pretty good modern jam band.
>>
>>61291534
>>61291534

lotus dude here.
fuck yeah the werks are great. :)
>>61291539

i don't like phish but i've seen them and you will have fun. i'm seeing lotus in Pitts on their NYE run. enjoy buddy
>>
>>61291572
i'm not really into them but they have a huge base because they're from Cincy which is real near

i'm never clear on what makes a jam band though. I mean, Can would make songs stretch into the 30 minutes mark live. I'd call that pretty jammy. Is jam just full improv or what?
>>
if you have half an hour to listen to something, i would definitely recommend listening to this sequence: twist > jam from 2000-06-14 in fukuoka, japan. the music of phish spans an incredibly diverse variety of genres, but i especially love their quiet, patient soundscapes from 1998-2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZZ5XuT-UpI
>>
>>61291597

yeah i'm from michigan. didn't go to the werk out but i was at resonance which is on the same land. i'm a huge papadosio fan. i saw them 4 times on their recent tour lol, detroit, GR, cinci, cleveland.

it's great to see great music coming out of the midwest and it makes me want to start a band.

jam is literally the reason i listen to music. i love the passion. the chemistry. i listen to a lot of non-jam as well, but it all comes down to that. fucking beautiful.
>>
>>61291597

a lot of jam bands just noodle endlessly (WSP, moe, twiddle, etc.) - phish is unique in that their jams are much more similar to can and other krautrock bands as well as drawing on other sources like modal jazz, krautrock, fripp/eno, talking heads/funk/polyrhythms, bach's use of counterpoint... not to mention bluegrass, barbershop quartet, and a bunch of other random stuff...
>>
>>61291666
well satan of michigan,

there's really just a shitload leaking from the Midwest. Speaking from what i see in Dayton, it's just a constant stream of different ideas and bands. We're not a huge city, but fuck just band after quality band pops up. Not so much jam, though if I could form a noise rock meets krautrock psych group that'd be the tops
>>
>>61291668

this post is bullshit.

all the bands you listened are good. i'm not into any of the three. i think they are all unique in their own way. but dude, to say that...come the fuck on. preference............................................................................... it's just love for music.
>>
I like the Dead, Umphrey's, and Disco Biscuits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-fF23rlhc
>>
>>61291668

should i even start on lotus deconstructing talking heads
>>
anyone here like tauk?

D:

THE FUTURE
>>
>>61291714

check dis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ39S-te-Lg
>>
>>61291493
The only time they've ever done anything interesting. If they released an album of post rock, it would be a different story.
>>
>>61290943
underrated post. Why would you do this? I'm picturing someone sitting at their computer and listening to music they hate while laughing to themselves. Who are you trying to impress?

It's very sad.
>>
>>61291706

sorry man wasn't trying to be inflammatory, maybe should have made my post sound a little less like my preferences were the objective truth. i've seen non-phish jam bands play and i've had a great time at their shows, but i don't really enjoy listening to their tapes at home. i guess my point was more that phish's style of improvisation is a lot more compelling to me than these other bands that ostensibly share a similar style. i think this is true for pretty much every genre - "jazz" encompasses both kenny g and miles davis, for example, although that's a pretty exaggerated comparison. but i have a lot of respect for any band that's dedicated to improvisation and enjoy seeing them in a live setting.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.