[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /mu/ discover new music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8
File: 1441858066818.jpg (152 KB, 1033x798) Image search: [Google]
1441858066818.jpg
152 KB, 1033x798
How does /mu/ discover new music?
>>
I'll tell you if you tell me the source of that image
>>
>>61253517
Academic publications on eras, genres and artists.
>>
>>61253517
Recently, I've been going on discogs, filtering the search by a genre or style I like, then finding something recent with a cool cover and looking up reviews or descriptions of it cause discogs' genre tags are unreliable. That's how I found Purple Pilgrims.
>>
find rym users with good taste and drone them
or look at the rym charts for a genre you like
>>
>>61253517
Recommendations and Reliable RYM genre lists.
>>
Occasionally stuff mentioned/recommended on here. RYM lists and just clicking around. Sometimes Last.fm reccs. Occasionally satellite radio.
>>
>>61253551
It's an image done by Hosoo.
>>
Dubs for this site
>>
>>61253517
I Google random words and listen to the results.

My last find was some band called the jepettos
>>
File: SSB Fantano.jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
SSB Fantano.jpg
8 KB, 300x168
>>61253517
>>
/mu/
>>
podcasts/mixes, /mu/, suggestions on youtube, videogames
>>
File: metacritic.png (59 KB, 663x529) Image search: [Google]
metacritic.png
59 KB, 663x529
>>
>>61253556
>Academic publications on eras
>>
>>61253517
Pretty much Youtube and compilations...
Taking a break from the share thread-core
>>
>>61253517
/mu/ archived share threads
>>
>>61253850
this desu
>>
last.fm, /mu/
>>
Albumoftheyear if I haven't been keeping up with stuff. Listening to the other bands on the record labels my favorite artists are on.
>>
>>61254247
>I will actively seek out to be part of the masses.
>I will actively tailor my listening habits to conform with expectations, thus lowering possible conflict and argument when asked.
>I am afraid of being singular, and will do anything in my power to fit into generalized stereotypes.
>>
I don't know how /mu/ discovers music.
I just get it from digging the web (occasionally /mu/, mostly blogs and forums), music stores and word of mouth.

Which is how everyone finds music, I presume.
>>
>Googling >most complex songs/genres/albums/...
>Googling a combination of your favourite albums
>Prog Archives rare albums
>'obscure gems' threads

Plus not bothering with songs that are shitty from the first minute/albums that are shitty from the first song/artists that are shitty from the first (well, say, second) album/genres that are shitty from the first artist.
>>
>>61253551
http://poolish99.deviantart.com
>>
>>61255930
Forgot to mentions the radio
>>
>>61255181
I agree with you but that Floating Points album is actually unironically good.
>>
>>61253551
What does this post have to do with music, dumb weeaboo?
>>
>>61255181
>popular music is bad

I mean, if you only listen to albums with high Metacritic scores, that's extreme, but there's nothing wrong with checking them out and listening to them.
>>
/mu/
rym
internet friends
artist interviews
etc
>>
File: 1450642748669.jpg (28 KB, 400x351) Image search: [Google]
1450642748669.jpg
28 KB, 400x351
>>61253828
>the meme drop

actually not a bad way to find music if you like his tastes
>>
Almost exclusively through RYM's esoteric feature
>>
Sputnik music's pretty cool and you can contribute your own reviews if you want to it.
>>
Spending my pocket money on vinyls with cool looking art

Soundcloud
>>
>>61253517
>25% spotify """"""""related"""""""" artists
>as of late 69% /mu/
>4% rym
>2% memethony memtano

nice image btw, source?
>>
Discogs is shit
Spotify recs are horrid

I get recs from last fm profiles I stalk
From friends
From rym genre pages occasionally
From mu genre essential things
But most of all music I hear discussed in mu and random bands that sound cool and are in a genre I'm interested in
>>
>>61257955
>tfw nearly all random threads on /mu/ are related to rock and hip hop subgenres
is there any site that will satisfy my electronic needs and doesn't have a dead community?
>>
Most of my shit is from /mu/, or if Fandango lists a record I think sounds really interesting I'll hunt it down.

It's gotten more difficult in the past year since nobody tags year in sharethreads anymore. (My usual method is to type 2015 mega or 2015 zippyshare into the archive)I know everybody likes to shit on /mu/ for being shit since at least 2012, but I don't think it's been too bad. Just avoid the shitposting and you get good recs.

Probably gonna start lurking RYM more though.
>>
>>61253556
Where do you find these?
>>
/mu/ and rym mostly
>>
>>61253517
RYM, youtube, and here
>>
>>61257489
i love that feature so much
>>
while Tiny Mixtapes' reviews are useless since they care more about winning imaginary Pulitzers for obfuscating text than saying what they think about the music, they're always on top of the freshest unknown shit.
>>
allmusic (good for everything except japanese stuff, especially actually good EDM/related genres)
residentadvisor (for news and stuff)
discogs (great, but there is a ton of non-western stuff that isn't cataloged)
RYM (if you can tolerate the horrific community)
last.fm (if you can tolerate the horrific design changes)
youtube (mostly for older japanese music, it's a race to beat the DMCA takedown though)
/mu/ charts

/mu/ will occasionally glom onto something that isn't utterly boring (like V:D:C).

not: pitchfork. it's really no better than rolling stone as far as imaginary relevance goes.
>>
File: 1445353259518.jpg (7 KB, 187x250) Image search: [Google]
1445353259518.jpg
7 KB, 187x250
Nowadays I just pick a track that I'm feeling like listening, turn on the spotify radio on the computer, and favorite the new ones that I like on the app on my smartphone.
>>
>>61258851
wow
>>
>>61258845
this
>>
>>61258860

I feel like shit doing this, fuck being a wageslave. I don't have energy to do anything.
Fuck me.
>>
Half of my top 10 albums were found by letting the next "full album" play on YouTube. So, YouTube.
>>
>>61258885
anon-kun, don't let your work drag you down like this. it's the holidays, listen to some nice albums
>>
Top 10 on What because I figure they have pretty solid tastes, or just browsing tags desu famalam
>>
>>61255975
Are you autistic or do you just not like music (anymore)?
>>
>>61256653
This.
>>
>>61257725
that's where i started. it's not a bad introduction but they all kinda tend to circlejerk over the same albums, so it's best you start there and then go to rym or smth
>>
>>61255181
Better than blindly listening to whatever Fantano or Pitchfork gives a BNM.
>>
>>61253517
READ
THE
FUCKING
>>
>>61253517
browsing here, rym and friend recommendations.
>>
>not one person who just goes to blogspot shareblogs looking for an album and then sees and checks otu everything else the blogger has posted

you guys suck at this
>>
RYM, TMT (though I avoid the reviews), Fantano very occasionally mentions something virtually unheard of (few people were aware of Iglooghost's EP before him, for example).
>>
>>61261782
i used to be a fan of fantano cause of the relatively unknown artists he would frequently review but it's so rare now that i've gradually stopped watching him. Plus over half his reviews are hip hop now.
>>
What's the best way to find RYM users with similar taste to follow? I don't really try to keep up with my own account but i'd be interested in using it to browse other people's to find music.
>>
>>61253517

>>

http://4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Essential_Charts

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart

www.last.fm

https://www.tastekid.com/

www.youtube.com
>>
>>61258249
mtv and p4k, see you never pleb.
>>
rym lists and esoteric
discogs lists
moo
youtube related

all you need nigga, no need for pitchfork at all
>>
>>61261736
>blogs

this fucker, don't act all underground and shit, who doesn't know them. Most of them are dead these days.
>>
the bandcamp front page/podcast stream is pretty decent

not all artists on the site are shitty teenagers recording in their rooms
>>
>>61253517
find a genre i dont know, find it's subgenres, go hunting through the archive to find em. oh and teachers cause music school
>>
I go on wikipedia and look for all the albums of musicians that I like, then I look for the albums that have the best reviews, then I look for other people that played on that album and their albums with the best reviews.
>>
>>61263102
>no need for pitchfork at all
this. i dont think i've ever listened to an album because they gave it a good review.
>>
Last.fm
/r/listetothis
bandcamp
mostly from soundcloud
>>
File: IMG_3669.jpg (75 KB, 602x451) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3669.jpg
75 KB, 602x451
>>61254247
>grimes
>88
>>
/mu/, internet friends, googling genres, related videos on youtube, I used to use wikipedia a lot for this but not that much anymore
>>
I haven't listened to shit that came out in 2015, so anything new is usually related to what I already have. I'm just using RYM and finding random things that I like right now. I have no actual system.
>>
>>61253517
rym is great
>>
>>61253517
http://weneedtogoto.space/how-to-find-new-music/
this post is pretty useful, sometimes i pick a random link & check it out

also like someone else said, wikipedia has helped me find most artists i listen to
>>
>>61253606
>>
Exclusively through sharethreads
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.