[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/BLINDFOLD TEST/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
Welcome to the weekly /mu/ jazz Blindfold Test thread.

If you're new, the point of these threads is to encourage critical listening, discussion, and general enjoyment of jazz. All critical music listeners are welcome. The more participation we have, the more fun and successful these threads will be. In the interest of keeping the thread alive and bumped, any general jazz discussion is welcomed here as well.

For more information about how the threads work and listening suggestions, please refer to the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/2yCLLBrj

This week's theme is: JAZZ DEDICATIONS
Tracks were selected by: AMBASSADOR SATCH

SCHEDULE FOR FUTURE THREADS:

NEXT WEEK: Christmas Jazz (selected by Jazzthreadguy)
FOLLOWING WEEK: Piano Trios (selected by Tuesday Anon)

If you missed last week's thread, DON'T WORRY. It's not too late. Here are the links for the mystery tracklist. Download the tracks, record your thoughts/guesses/evaluations for each one, and then come back and post them in the thread. Remember, people will be posting guesses and thoughts in this thread so don't read the thread until you have listened to the music and collected your thoughts in order to avoid spoilers. Track info for this week's tracks will be posted at roughly 8:00 PM (EST)

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/bpas5oid/file.html
https://mega.nz/#!h55AVJJR!6MltmoU7rnRI75KbWXC9Xjo01k2L-mpPv1lGV0a4e7w

Posting with names and/or tripcodes is encouraged so that we can get to know each other. We also need more volunteers for people to compile our weekly tracklists. If you are interested, reply with your theme idea.
>>
Did all my listening for this one early.

Recognized multiple tracks, so waiting a bit before I post my comments.

Nice selections!
>>
File: 001.jpg (29 KB, 200x601) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
29 KB, 200x601
https://clyp.it/efef5qpt

this is a working rough draft, it's based around D melodic / D natural minor with a temporary key of F minor

let me know

ta

.V..
>>
>>61031293
Yeah, I was happy with how good the songs were but I knew there'd be some that all the regulars would get.
There's a guitar lead one in particular(y'all know which one but I won't say) that we all know for sure. We've even mentioned it in conversation but I'm interested to see what people have to say about the obvious tracks and any discussion that might arise about them.
>>
>>61031293
I actually haven't done my listening yet for this week. I just put on the first track.
>>
>>61031256
Also:
>Christmas jazz
OH MY GOD I AM SO FUCKING EXCITED!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH JTG, YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!
>>
>>61031293
same
>>
>Track 1
Yusef Lateef came to mind from this - could be him, could be dedicated to him. The bass player sounds like he might be involved in more avant-garde stuff often. Goes on a bit longer than my interest in listening to this track.

>Track 2
This is Mingus. My Jelly Roll Soul from Blues & Roots, dedicated to Jelly Roll Morton. Ah Um has a more playful version of this tune entitled Jelly Roll. It's a nice tribute to early jazz, cool easy going tune. I think I prefer the Ah Um version, though.

>Track 3
Starts with a very characteristic Monk run, so has to be Monk's dedication to someone else or something dedicated to Monk. Based on the rest of the track, I believe it is Monk on piano so something he wrote dedicated to someone else. Pretty strong band backing him up here - works well with Monk's angular playing I think, nice classic jazz.
>>
>Track 4
I get a Duke Ellington vibe from this from the get-go, but can't really say whether this is some Ellington tune dedicated to someone else or something dedicated to Ellington. Very prominent trumpet - maybe Louis Armstrong is involved one way or the other? Either way, someone is feeling nostalgic for some good old pre-bebop days.

>Track 5
Pretty nimble playing. Joe Pass?
Feels less likely that it's Pass when we get closer to the one minute mark though - there are some more modern, abstract touches that I don't associate with him.

Ok, so it's a duet. The longer it goes the less I know what this is. Maybe Jim Hall one way or the other?

>Track 6
The opening sounds really familiar and at about 20 seconds in I know I've heard this tune many times, but I have a feeling I might know a different version - it's familiar but somehow feels strange, could be just the pitch shifting, though.

The composition feels like a late 60's Blue Note Wayne Shorter post-bop thing. Piano especially has McCoy/Hancock feel of that era to it. Maybe Freddie Hubbard on trumpet then?

I'm very annoyed that I can't think of what this is exactly, I have a feeling I should know. Great track in any case.
>>
>Track 7
This is late 60's Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention for sure. I used to be a teenage Frank Zappa fan, but the crude humor has really ruined a lot of his music for me, but I like a lot of his instrumental stuff still. It's been years since I've listened to Weasels Ripped my flesh, but there's a track there entitled The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue and I'm very, very surprised if this isn't it.

Funny thing, I used to think that track was very strange when I first heard it, but it doesn't sound that strange to me any more - still not among my favorite Zappa instrumentals.

>Track 8
This is of course the wonderful John Lewis composition Django, originally made famous by the Modern Jazz Quartet but this is the Grant Green version from Idle Moments. I knew this particular version of the tune originally as Idle Moments was the first Blue Note album I ever bought and I've actually posted about it before in these threads when another version was featured.

Absolute classic track for me that I've been fond of for a long time.
>>
>Track 9
Hmh. This is ringing absolutely no bells at the beginning - sounds like a pretty recent recording, though. I like the tuba happily bobbing along.

This is a lengthy one - now I remember a warning about long free jazz jams mentioned...

During the first sax solo it reminds me of a contemporary british band called Sons of Kemet, they have a somewhat similar vibe and a tuba even, but they are a quartet with two drummers, so not exactly that similar to the rest of a track. Also reminds me of Kenan Philip Cohran and the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. Maybe some contemporary band in that vein with a spiritual jazz flavor.

I generally enjoy this type of music, but the long abstract middle part here isn't really doing it for me.

Very wide range of different sounds and moods though throughout the track, I like the ambitiousness in general.

Very contemporary European free jazz style part in the end - reminds me of Fire! Orchestra and Paal Nilssen-Love Large Unit and groups like that. Probably some ensemble in that vein, guessing it's European, but could be some Ken Vandermark related thing or something like that - turned out it wasn't as spiritual jazz founded as that early sax solo made me think it might be.

Interested in finding out what this is.

>Track 10
I got interested in Eric Dolphy's Far Cry album after hearing Tenderly in the Solos-week of these blindfolds, so thanks to that I know this is Ode to Charlie Parker from that album. Before that I certainly wouldn't have guessed this is Eric Dolphy and also I don't really hear anything that reminds me of Parker.

I like the contrast between the more down to earth trumpet and Dolphy's relentlessly fluttering flute - when the solos come the track kind of loses my interest, seems somehow too safe, I would have really liked to have that little contrast somehow go on during the soloing as well.
>>
1. We haven’t had much flute yet in these threads so this is kind of cool. I’m guessing this is Dolphy even though I haven’t heard very much of his flute playing except on out to lunch. It sounds like he has incredible technique so that makes me think this is Dolphy too since everybody usually cites him as one of the absolute best flute players. This was a very cool track and I really enjoy the sparseness that comes from just having bass and flute but you can tell they are really staying together and playing off of each other. 4.5 stars.

2. The general kind of loose feeling of this reminds me of Mingus. Some of the stuff from Ah Um has this kind of sound. So that’s my best guess for who this is. There’s sort of a real old-timey kind of vibe from the trombone solo that is kind of fun. Something about it reminds me of Louis Armstrong so maybe this is some trombone tribute to him or something. The pianist sounds kind of like Monk. I liked all the solos in this. It seemed like kind of a straightforward tribute though without really adding a new perspective. I’ll still give it 4 stars.

3. This has to be Monk on the piano. I recognize this song, I know I’ve heard it before but I don’t know the name of it. The tenor sax solo was really good. It sounds like a tenor player who has studied a lot of Charlie Parker. Monk’s solo is also a lot of fun. The trumpet solo holds up well too. 4 stars for this one.
>>
>>61032963
4. Well this sounds a lot like Louis Armstrong so it’s probably somebody’s tribute to him. Or I guess it could actually be Armstrong’s tribute to somebody else. I’m guessing it’s the former. It sounds like a slightly more modern recording though so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s somebody like Wynton Marsalis. Whoever it is is doing a pretty spot-on imitation but that seems to be all there is to it really. 3 stars.
5. A jazz guitar duet is kind of interesting. It’s nice easy listening and I suppose what he’s playing is good but it never does anything really very exciting. 3 stars.
6. This sounds like some definitive post bop. The piano player reminds me of McCoy Tyner and the trumpeter sounds like Freddie Hubbard. This sounds like the kind of stuff that JTG will love. If it’s not Freddie Hubbard it must be Woody Shaw. I still can’t really hear all that much difference in their playing. I like the intensity of the soloing and how the thing swings but the rhythm section kind of takes a lot of liberties with the swing. All the solos were good but I think this could have been better without the drum and bass solos. 4 stars.
7. This one I actually know! It’s Frank Zappa’s tribute to Eric Dolphy. It’s a pretty fitting tribute I think the way it kind of combines odd time signatures, random sounding melodies, and elements of chaos and free improvisation. The only bad thing is that none of the players really stands out individually or anything and it’s kind of all about the composition. 3.5 stars.
>>
>>61032991
8. I recognize this one too. It’s Django by Grant Green from Idle Moments. I loved this album from the first time I ever heard it and I still listen to it kind of a lot. How can you not love it when this starts swinging and that guitar solo starts. All the solos on this are awesome. The guitar solo is the best though. 5 stars.

9. 17 minutes is a pretty long track for a blindfold test. I like the dissonance of the wind instruments but it still has a sense of melody to it. From the sound of it this must be a more modern thing than anything else so far. The saxophone solo is pretty nice although he seems pretty intent on just making noises for a good portion of the time. The trombone solo was exciting and easy to follow. I liked it. The free improvisation parts of it were pretty cool too how they managed to kind of keep certain textures together as a band. It just went on too long without really changing enough. 3.5 stars.

10. And now another flute player. Well as I said earlier I don’t know many flute players besides Dolphy. This actually reminds me a lot of Dolphy too. This was a pretty good track overall, my only criticism was that the piano player felt kind of out of place. 3.5 stars.
>>
bumpin'

>>61032963
we're certainly agreed on a lot of things this week
>>
1. This one I know. It’s Eric Dolphy’s ode to Charlie Parker. I’ve always thought it was odd that he would choose to do it on flute, since his alt sound owes so much to Parker. Also he doesn’t play anything that sounds really Parker inspired until we’re almost 2 minutes in. That first beboppy line that he hits is insane though. Those twisted bebop licks do sound great on flute. His ideas sound inspired by Donna Lee. The duet aspect of this is cool but I don’t really like the way the channels are so separated. Might be cool on stereo but on headphones I don’t really like it. I can’t remember who this is on bass… Richard Davis was my first guess. Or Ron Carter. I got curious enough that I looked up who the bass player was.

2. First impression was a Mingus tribute to Count Basie. This swings pretty fucking hard. I feel like I should know this one. The players are all good enough that I feel like I should know this. Even if the solos weren’t as good as they are you can still get off on just the swing. Also that was a nice entertaining bass solo. Too bad the recording of the bass is so shoddy. I mean it can only be Mingus right? I wonder what record this is and who’s playing on it. Not enough to try to look it up though. Especially since I’m not even sure it’s Mingus.

3. Dead giveaway right from the opening whole tone run. It’s Monk on In Walked Bud, a tribute either to Bud Powell, or Monk’s weed dealer. Sounds like Charlie Rouse on tenor. No maybe not. Oh actually I recognize this. It’s the version with Art Blakey. I like the way Monk started his solo with a twist on what the tenor player played. I like Monk’s solo a lot. This is the kind of solo that makes me want to turn the song off after the solo is over and just go play piano for a while. I guess I’ll resist that urge. Trumpet solo is average, although he does a nice extended hemiola thing there in the middle that was cool.
>>
>>61034226
4. This sounds maybe like someone’s tribute to Louis Armstrong. Duke Ellington guessing by those background lines from the woodwinds. I wonder who is playing trumpet. Pretty nice. The trumpet player definitely nails the Armstrong sound.

5. I’m not sure who this is or who this could be a tribute to. Could be Jimmy Raney I guess. Nah, Joe Pass maybe? Overdubbed or a duet? Overdubbed I’m guessing. The sense of melody is very nice. In these kind of overdubs I always wonder which part they recorded first. This sounds like he recorded the solo first. I like it, it managed to be pretty engaging to listen to and relatively dynamic for what it was.

6. Ah I’m pretty sure I’ve heard this before. Oh that’s got to be Woody Shaw. Oh I know this track. I can’t believe I didn’t recognize it right away. It’s The Moontrane. I’m used to hearing Sipiagin’s version I guess. The trumpet solo is fantastic. And great comping. Sounds like Mulgrew Miller. And that’s Joe Henderson on tenor. Not his best solo. It’s mostly good stuff but it feels like he can’t quite get on the same page as the rhythm section time-wise. Maybe he was sick that day. Still a lot of good stuff happening in the rhythm section during that. Nice piano solo. It doesn’t sound like Mulgrew Miller now. Could be like Stanley Cowell or one of those 70’s/80’s guys like that.
>>
1. Interesting flute playing. And also the way it associates with the bass. It kinda sounds both distant and engaging at once.
2. I've heard this one, it's from Roots and Blues. Mingus is always nice.
3. The Piano sounds like Monk, though I don't think I've heard it in a Monk album (maybe the pianist is trying to mimic him). Nevertheless pretty swell tune, would love to know where this is from.
4. Sounds like most swing I've heard (a.k.a. mostly just Ellington and Bashie). Doesn't mean I don't like it, it's the opposite, it's energic and I really like that in jazz.
5. Dunno. Don't listen to a lot of guitar jazz. This kind of stuff is pleasant but doesn't really call me.
6. I get the feeling I've listened to this and a lot. I don't know, it's very good and I'm trying to place it. The overall feeling reminds me of the album Free For All by Blakey. Probably a few players from there?
7. This was spoilered by MusicBee. As soon as I played it, it displayed all the info about it on the lyrics section (http://i.imgur.com/Z9XVCVp.png). Not sure why, anyone know? Anyway not a big fan of Zappa, but still better than Hot Rats.
8. This I recognize too, from Idle Moments. Probably my favorite track off it but it's not saying much, can't connect with him. But I like the piano, vaguely reminds me of Art Tatum.
9. Oh boy. Pretty neat first half but can't get into the quietness of the second half as much.
10. And this I know as well. Some anon requested this on the archive so I got it and listened to it too. Really like the flute playing and piano on this track.
>>
>>61034273
7. Is this a tribute to King Crimson? This was kind of unfortunate. There are some ok ideas here but there’s just nothing to tie it all together. It’s like reading a story that someone just sat down and wrote without any kind of thought beforehand of where the story was going to go. It’s like someone in a rock band listened to some jazz and thought “hey I could do that” but didn’t actually listen to enough jazz to know what makes it good. If you took some of the good ideas from this and played with them, thought them through, and flushed them out you could get some good music. As it is right now this is not good music.

8. Hmm. Sax, vibes, guitar, piano, bass, drums. Somebody’s tribute to MJQ maybe? Sounds like Wes on guitar. Oh wait that’s Joe Henderson on tenor. Ok now I realize what this is. Grant Green on guitar then. I think this is one of the weaker tracks on this record actually.
>>
>>61034317
9. Pretty good starting out. The saxophone solo is pretty slow getting off the ground. Rhythmically it’s pretty simplistic and harmonically he’s sticking to mostly simple blues riffs. He starts doing some more interesting rhythmic stuff but then gets distracted by the need to overblow. The thing that bums me out even more than that though is when he’s playing with a lot of energy and none of the other players really respond to it at all. Except the drummer a little bit. Same goes for the trombone solo. Reminds me of Robin Eubanks. The whole groove and solo style of this reminds me of Dave Holland’s projects but Holland’s projects are far superior in terms of interplay. Things get more interesting in the trombone/tuba duet. It gets a bit long winded though. The bass solo is just a lot of nothing unfortunately. Same with the drum solo. The ending wasn’t satisfying either for me. It felt like a buildup to nothing. There were some good moments in this track. I liked the composition and the trombone solo was good but the rest of the band dropped the ball during the solos. Even still the track would have been vastly improved by ending shortly after the trombone solo.
10. Oh now this sounds familiar. Is this more Dolphy? Maybe Yusef Lateef? No that’s definitely Dolphy. Like I said earlier, nobody else really plays flute like that. Probably Booker Little on trumpet. This was pretty good although I think the first track was better.
>>
>>61034317
Damn. Pretty harsh on the Zappa track.
>>
>>61034273

The Moontrane, eh.

That explains why I had the feeling I'm familiar with another version of this since I know it from Larry Young's Unity.

Interesting why I didn't think of Young at all since this one had piano instead of organ.
>>
>>61034426

tough but fair, I think. Zappa was definitely too much of a control freak to be able to really be a jazz musician IMHO and he gathered mostly people in his band who were good at following orders
>>
>>61034426
As I was writing the part about a rocker trying to play jazz I figured it had to be Zappa. It's just a mess of a track.

>>61034484
I've played the tune and definitely heard that version of the track before. I can't believe it took me up until Shaw's solo to recognize it.
>>
This seems like a cool thread. I wish I could into jazz properly but I just haven't the ears for it. Been loving Hubert Laws and Herbie Mann recently, but haven't explored much more outside the essentials (Monk, Mingus, Davis, Sun Ra etc.).
>>
>Track 1
Love me some flute. The bold statements on the bass are a perfect accompanyment in a piece so minimal. Reminds me a bit of Sonny Rollins at the Vanguard in that they're able to dance around the harmony in a way that shows you all the pieces.

>Track 2
This is a version of the Jelly Roll song that Mingus did under various slightly different names. Mingus Ah Um was one of the first albums I ever bought, so I'm kind of stuck to that version - it's way less restrained than this one, but also less sloppy round the edges. Even so, it always sounds sleazy as fuck like it should be playing in a 1920's whorehouse just before a fight. I'm guessing this is an earlier version because it sounds more rigid and like they're sticking to the rules. Less like Mingus than Mingus normally sounds. The horn solos in particular have nothing on some of the stuff Eric Dolphy did later on.

>Track 3
Funny, I listened to this a couple of days ago and wasn't sure what it was but for the fact that it could have been Monk. Then I listened to his Blue Note sessions for the first time yesterday, and this is "In Walked Bud", presumably dedicated to Powell. Not sure who's playing sax, and if I wasn't fairly sure it was an alto (laugh all you want, but I suck at identifying registers) I'd say the acrobatics could perhaps be Sonny Rollins? The bass break in the middle of Monk's solo was one of my favourite parts.
>>
>Track 4
By the intro I thought this might be a tribute to Monk, but now I'm less sure...

>Track 5
That was a long intro - wasn't sure there were going to be any chords at all for a moment. I like it when people can play such interesting complicated lines and keep rooting and rerooting it in the blues like this. Not sure I could listen to a full album of this but as a track in the middle of some more conventional guitar playing I'd quite like it.

>Track 6
The only point of reference I have for stuff like this is Andrew Hill, so there's my guess. I thoroughly enjoyed this, but any guesses as to who's playing would be shots in the dark. I really liked the trumpet solo, and the contrast between that and the sax that follows is awesome; the former is bombastic in a brash Gillespie way, and the latter in a thoughtful late-Coltrane way.

>Track 7
This is intense. No idea what this could be, but once the laughter comes in I'm wondering if maybe it's a curve-ball and this is Zappa? Something about the intro kind of made me feel like it could have fit in a non-jazz album and that'd make sense if it was him. Anyway, it makes me feel like I might be more ready for some of his weirder stuff than

>Track 8
Django! The intro was done like a funeral march so it actually took me a minute to get what it was. A little disappointing that they set such a slow pace and then as soon as the solos came in just reset to playing it straight. Parts of this were reminding me of Grant Green and Bobby Hutcherson, then I remembered my version of Idle Moments has the alt-take of this and not the original one for some reason, so I'm gonna guess that. I may have been rude about vibes in an earlier jazz thread, but Hutcherson has won me over since then. Moreso on his own stuff - his solo here is cool but less exciting - but he's perfect in accompaniment no matter what he's playing. Even if like usual it's only one or two notes. I really liked Joe Henderson's solo here. He's ridiculously versatile.
>>
>>61034895
>I wish I could into jazz properly but I just haven't the ears for it

These threads will definitely help you develop your ear
>>
bump. listening to tracks now,
>>
bumpin'
today's tracks were quite nice, hoping for more people to join in

also i guess i could ask here for some nice early jazz, as I said before I'm kinda clueless on stuff before 1950
>>
1. Nice minimal arrangement, lets the two show off their technical skill but kind of dragged on near the end. I’m really not familiar with my flutists, but the soloing and arrangement gives off a very avant-garde/bebop feel, so maybe a Eric Dolphy or Roland Kirk tribute to some bop legend?

2. I’m pretty certain this is Mingus’ tribute to jelly roll Morton, but not the same one from Mingus Ah Um. The solos didn’t exactly catch my ear except the bass and the drums trading fours and the recording is pretty shoddy.

3. Definitely a Monk track I’ve heard before but cannot remember which one. I think the way the solos follow each is pretty awkward, the way the Monk solo is sandwiched between a sax and trumpet who don’t sound like Monk that much (but then who does amiright?). If I had to guess who it was a tribute to I’d say Bud Powell of Art Tatum, one of his close peers.
>>
How soon do you need the tracklist blindfold guy? I'm just home now and I'm probs gonna get some food but if you'll need it soon, I'll head up to my pc to type it up.
Excited to read the reviews btw! Looks like it's been a decent thread,
>>
>>61036534
no hurry
>>
>>61036607
Deadly.
Probably going to respond to a few of he reviews. I'm glad there wasn't unanimous guessing of some of the tracks. Obviously everyone got Django but for the number of big players here, I'm glad the picks were just esoteric enough.
>>
>>61034972
Before I respond to people's post, just gonna guess that the break in posting here was caused by track 9. Which I'm happy people were able to appriciate for what it was. Very flawed as a track which had a lot of stuff that could have been cut but with some nice moments.
>>
File: IMP9739A.jpg (46 KB, 345x500) Image search: [Google]
IMP9739A.jpg
46 KB, 345x500
http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/o9uUAfKH/file.html
https://mega.nz/#!99w3xJpR!OcyZ5C3yEgfMN-kDPEuTYom2VzUjZYLOMN8-5qz35uM

Links for next week
>>
4. Well this is awkward, my music player showed the meta-data, but no worries it’s not like I wouldn’t have recognized Duke Ellington, especially since I’ve been listening to a lot of him recently. The trumpet does a spot on impression of Satch, since it sounds like a one of his later recordings probably Ray Nance, maybe Cootie Williams?

5. Also never really got into guitar, especially solo stuff. Maybe the first player is Grant Green? Idk don’t really care for this one, nice soloing but not very interesting imo.

6. I’ve heard this before but don’t really care for this sort of post-bop stuff. The trumpet’s prominence implies some hard/post-bop trumpeter, Freddie Hubbard or Lee Morgan if I had to guess. Also did not like how the rhythm section was drowned out, but did enjoy the piano overall
>>
>>61032155
>Yusef Lateef came to mind from this - could be him, could be dedicated to him
I only know that one album Eastern Sounds by him. Does the rest of his stuff sound that different cause I wouldn't have made that association.
>Track 9
Was nice reading your review on this one. You'll be surprised to hear this is actually an American outfit (can't speak to where most of the people are from though cause it's a big enough unit but it's mostly American).
>I got interested in Eric Dolphy's Far Cry album after hearing Tenderly in the Solos-week of these blindfolds
Ha deadly. I love that album. Dolphy has so many lesser known albums in his discog that I wish got talked about more.
>>61032991
>Whoever it is is doing a pretty spot-on imitation but that seems to be all there is to it really
Yeah, that's really what I love about this track is how spot on the trumpet player is. Obviously, he's not as good but it's such a cool impersonation. I'd love that as a party trick.
>This sounds like the kind of stuff that JTG will love.
Jej I hope so. I'm actually pretty certain I first saw JTG posting about this guy and then I started a small crusade where I mentioned him every /jazz/ I posted in for like a month.
> It’s a pretty fitting tribute I think the way it kind of combines odd time signatures, random sounding melodies, and elements of chaos and free improvisation.
Yeah, that's part of why I thought this would be a nice track to include. There's certainly much better Zappa material but structurally, his approach was spot on as far as pastiches go.
>The only bad thing is that none of the players really stands out individually or anything and it’s kind of all about the composition.
One of the greatest tragedies of Zappa's output is that he didn't foster an atmosphere where player's individuality could grow and become part of the music. I do wish he wasn't such a control freak but I guess that's also part of what made him a great composer.
>>
>>61037513
sweet thx
>>
>>61033015
>17 minutes is a pretty long track for a blindfold test
I did worry I was pushing the boat out a bit. There wasn't as much heckling of this track as I feared though so that's good.
Tbf,it would be much better if it was shorter as you pointed out.
>my only criticism was that the piano player felt kind of out of place.
His playing was certainly busy but I wouldn't have said it was bad. He followed the soloists well and there's some nice rolling chords in there among some pretty varied comping.
>>61034226
Just gonna say first, thanks for fucking turning me on to Joe Fiedler. I never thought I would enjoy a trombone lead album but this is fucking class.
>Those twisted bebop licks do sound great on flute.
Such a great instrument to play jazz on. Always a cool timbre to hear in contrast to horns.
>a tribute either to Bud Powell, or Monk’s weed dealer.
Haha I would be ok with being proved wrong here in thinking it was a Powell tribute and having a track out of place on the playlist for that to be true.
>This is the kind of solo that makes me want to turn the song off after the solo is over and just go play piano for a while.
I know this feel, it's a sign of a great musician when they can inspire you like that.
>Overdubbed or a duet? Overdubbed I’m guessing.
I was wondering if anyone would cop that. Spot on as always.
I actually considered this for the solos week too and spent many hours asking myself
>if it's overdubbed, is it really still a solo performance?
I decided it wasn't.
> I’m used to hearing Sipiagin’s version I guess
I know you love him but I'm surprised you know his version better than Shaw's. To me it's just so definitively a Woody Shaw tune.
>>
>>61034298
>>61034298
>track 7
Sorry about that. I must have missed that when I was getting rid of the info.
>but still better than Hot Rats.
Really? Imo Hot Rats and Waka/Jawaka era stuff is the best of his career.
>vaguely reminds me of Art Tatum.
I don't really see this comparison.. Not nearly off the wall/crazy fast enough. Plus, Tatum wasn't much for comping. ( he was also a strong contender for solos week).
>>61034317
>If you took some of the good ideas from this and played with them, thought them through, and flushed them out you could get some good music
Another great tragedy of Zappa's career: he was always too busy writing the next project to really flesh out compositions.
I am a fan of his work but I understand having these feeling about him completely. If he had really sat down to write a masterpiece and took time, I really believe he could have composed one of my favourite albums but as it stands, there are flaws on almost every one of his albums.
I did chuckle a bit at how much you disliked it though. Gotta have muh "curve balls" as >>61034972 said. This, the Yes track; nobody knows what I'll do next! Maybe some jazz rap?
>track 8
I was convinced you'd get that one right away! You did in the end but still, slipping up...

>He starts doing some more interesting rhythmic stuff but then gets distracted by the need to over blow
I see this sort of track as being more interesting timbrally in general. I don't think there was a serious attempt at making it a complex composition but the way it's played is interesting and is largely what appeals to me.
> Dave Holland’s projects
Does he have any good big ensemble stuff? I keep meaning to get more albums by him because I'm very fond of Conference of the Birds and Critical mass which are the only two I have.
Oh and that music for two basses thing, which I was thoroughly disappointed with.
>>
>>61038463
I actually really enjoyed the first part of the 17 minute track. I'm interested to find out who it was because I'm not very familiar with today's free jazz scene.
>>
>>61034972
>I like it when people can play such interesting complicated lines and keep rooting and rerooting it in the blues like this
This is one of the things I really like about the guitar player on this: he doesn't tend to lose the run of himself. Even when it's just him and his guitar.
>but once the laughter comes in
Why does he need to do this? I was wondering if people would complain about this, I know I would have.
>>61036233
>who don’t sound like Monk that much (but then who does amiright?)
Lel, about 3/4 of all jazz pianists post 1950 if you believe some of the posters of /blindfold/.
>Well this is awkward, my music player showed the meta-data
Goddamn. not sure if this is audio recognition software or if I just did a shit job of removing track info for these.
>since it sounds like a one of his later recordings probably Ray Nance, maybe Cootie Williams?
It's Cootie Williams iirc. He could well have started a decent tribute band with that impersonation. I wonder what his singing voice was like...
>>61038998
Neither am I for the most part. It's pretty fucking scary desu.
>>
>>61038694
>nobody knows what I'll do next! Maybe some jazz rap?

Any ideas for your next theme? I'd like to start planning the schedule out a few weeks in advance
>>
>>61039391
I was thinking of just doing a Wildcard to have the freedom to basically rec stuff I think /jazz/ should discuss/listen to.
Are we allowed to just do them whenever?
>>
>>61039439
Ideally I'd like them spaced out but I think it's been long enough to do another one whenever you want to.
>>
>>61039499
Kk, sure the soonest it will be is in three weeks anyway. We actually have a backlog for once!
Btw, I have the tracklist typed up whenever you wanna post it.
>>
>>61039592
It doesn't seem like we'll have many more new posters in the thread so you can post it whenever.
>>
>>61039670
Alright, I'll just give one more bump to say I skipped around >>61037513
A bit looking for Louis Armstrong and I think I've spotted him. No singing from him though but I suppose that'd be a dead giveaway wouldn't it?
>>
>Track 1
Dedicated to: Charlie Parker
Eric Dolphy – Ode to C.P.
Album: Iron Man (1963)
Eric Dolphy – flute
Richard Davis – bass
Clifford Jordan – soprano saxophone
Sonny Simmons – alto saxophone
Woody Shaw – trumpet
Bobby Hutcherson – vibraphone
J.C. Moses – drums
>Track 2
Dedicated to: Jelly Roll Morton
Charles Mingus – My Jelly Roll Soul
Album: Blues and Roots (1959)
Charles Mingus – bass
John Handy – alto sax
Jackie McLean – alto sax
Booker Ervin – tenor sax
Pepper Adams – baritone sax
Jimmy Knepper – trombone
Willie Dennis – trombone
Dannie Richmond – drums
Horace Parlan – piano
>>
>Track 3
Dedicated to: Bud Powell (or possibly Thelonious Monk’s weed dealer)
Art Blakey and the jazz messengers with Thelonious Monk – In Walked Bud
Album: Art Blakey’s jazz messengers with Thelonious Monk (1957)
Bill Hardman – trumpet
Johnny Griffin – tenor saxophone
Thelonious Monk – piano
Spanky DeBrest – bass
Art Blakey – drums
>Track 4
Dedicated to: Wynton Marsalis
Duke Ellington – Portrait of Louis Armstrong
Album: New Orleans Suite (1970)
Duke Ellington – piano
Cootie Williams, Fred Stone - trumpet
Cat Anderson - trumpet
Booty Wood, Julian Priester - trombone
Chuck Connors - bass trombone
Russell Procope - alto saxophone, clarinet
Norris Turney - clarinet, alto saxophone, flute
Harold Ashby - clarinet, tenor saxophone
Paul Gonsalves - tenor saxophone
Harry Carney - clarinet, bass clarinet, baritone saxophone
Wild Bill Davis - organ
Joe Benjamin - bass
Rufus Jones – drums
>>
>Track 5
Dedicated to: Coleman Hawkins
Jim Hall – Hawk
Album: Dedications and Inspirations (1993)
Jim Hall – Guitar (yes, both of them)
>Track 6
Dedicated to: John Coltrane
Woody Shaw – The Moontrane
Album: The Moontrane (1974)
Woody Shaw – trumpet
Steve Turre – trombone
Azar Lawrence – tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone
Onaje Allan Gumbs – piano, electric piano
Buster Williams – bass
Victor Lewis – drums
>Track 7
Dedicated to: Eric Dolphy
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention – The Eric Dolphy Memorial barbeque
Weasels Ripped my Flesh (1970)
Frank Zappa – lead guitar, vocals
Jimmy Carl Black – drums
Ray Collins – vocals
Roy Estrada – bass, vocals
Bunk Gardner – tenor saxophone
Lowell George – rhythm guitar, vocals
Don "Sugarcane" Harris – vocals, electric violin
Don Preston – organ, electronic effects
Buzz Gardner – trumpet and flugel horn
Motorhead Sherwood – baritone saxophone, snorks
Art Tripp – drums
Ian Underwood – alto saxophone
>>
i'll be back in these when finals are over
>>
>Track 8
Dedicated to: Django Reinhardt
Grant Green – Django
Idle Moments (1963)
Grant Green - guitar
Joe Henderson - tenor saxophone
Duke Pearson - piano
Bobby Hutcherson - vibraphone
Bob Cranshaw - double bass
Al Harewood – drums
>Track 9
Dedicated to: Don Ellis
Resonance Ensemble – Rope (for Don Ellis)
Kafka in Flight (2011)
Alto Saxophone, Bass Clarinet – Mikołaj Trzaska
Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Dave Rempis
Bass – Mark Tokar
Clarinet [Bb], Bass Clarinet, Tárogató – Wacław Zimpel
Drums – Michael Zerang, Tim Daisy
Tenor Saxophone, Clarinet [Bb] – Ken Vandermark
Trombone – Steve Swell
Trumpet – Magnus Broo
Tuba – Per-Âke Holmlander
>>
>Track 10
Dedicated to: Charlie Parker
Eric Dolphy – Ode to Charlie Parker
Far Cry (1960)
Eric Dolphy – flute
Booker Little – trumpet
Jaki Byard – piano
Ron Carter – bass
Roy Haynes – drums

>>61040038
Will you post in the /Christmas/ edition?
It's actually a really nice and respectable track list at a glance. Nothing horrifically cheesy (which can be looked at as either a good or a bad thing).
>>
>>61040084
These were some pretty good selections this week. Mostly guessable but nothing too obvious. Also a unique theme idea
>>
>>61037973
>I first saw JTG posting about this guy and then I started a small crusade where I mentioned him every /jazz/ I posted in for like a month

Oh so that was you. I'll keep in mind that you're a Shaw fan.

>>61038463
>Just gonna say first, thanks for fucking turning me on to Joe Fiedler.
I just discovered him this year myself. His album was a pleasant surprise.

>I know you love him but I'm surprised you know his version better than Shaw's. To me it's just so definitively a Woody Shaw tune.
I guess I've been listening to to much Sipiagin. It's probably been at least a year since I've heard that Shaw version but I've probably heard Sipiagin's version 3 or 4 times in the past year. Have you heard his tribute album to Shaw?

>>61038694
>Does he have any good big ensemble stuff?
He has 2 very good big band albums, one on ECM called "What Goes Around" and the other one is on his record label and is called "Overtime." Although I think his big band is just 12 or 13 players so definitely on the small side for a big band.

Actually though what that long track really reminded me of was live recordings of the Dave Holland Quintet, especially during the trombone solo. The way the solo unfolds over a very strong groove anchored by a strong bassline was very DHQ. But as I noted what makes the DHQ superior is their great interplay and dynamic playing while still managing to keep a constant groove.
>>
>>61040166
I was pretty happy with how it went. I was hoping people would be guessing the dedications and they did. Like most people picked up on the general Satchmo sound on the Duke Ellington track.
>>
>>61040567
>Oh so that was you. I'll keep in mind that you're a Shaw fan.
It was at first but there was at least two other people who saw me spamming him and joined in. I fell really fucking hard for him in that first month and downloaded a lot of albums by him and listened to basically nothing else for the month.
>I just discovered him this year myself. His album was a pleasant surprise.
Ikr? It never feels like there's a lack of sound throughout the album, its just so consistently engaging even though if you'd told me about the instrumentation before I heard that title track form last week, I'd have told you the album would be shit.
He's really creative with how he approaches the instrument, the playing is as good as any post bop trumpet player but he's constantly messing around the the timbre of his instrument and the dynamics of the tracks.
The bass and drums are pretty on point too and have some really great solos.
Also, apparently, he played with Cecil Taylor and is an arranger for Sesame Steet. Is there anything he can't do!?

I haven't heard that tribute album but I'm aware it exists. I won't even ask if you'd reccomend it because I know it's probably great.
I'll well check out those Dave Holland big band albums too. Free jazz/post bop oriented big bands are somewhat of an interest of mine but I feel the form is very easy to do poorly.
>>
>>61041125
>haven't heard that tribute album but I'm aware it exists. I won't even ask if you'd reccomend it because I know it's probably great.
Actually I don't think it's one of Sipiagin's better albums. It is still pretty good anyway though. If you love Woody Shaw the one you should really listen to is Sipiagin's album called Mirages. Mulgrew Miller plays on it and it reminds me a lot of Shaw's band's sound in the 70's.
>>
>>61041482
>Mirages
That's my second favourite of his. Miller's piano on the first track is one of the strongest intros to an album I've ever heard. Something about the chords and the way he's playing them is just so epic.
A while back, I asked for recs for him on the strength of his playing on this and the Shaw Hubbard collab album Eternal Triangle but I wasn't as impressed by his work as a leader.
>>
>>61040012
>>Track 4
Dedicated to: Wynton Marsalis
lol
>>
Bump just so people can get in on this
>>
>>61040045
Haha so track 9 had Europeans _and_ Vandermark. Go me!
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.