[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't bands use panning like the beatles did?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: pper.jpg (1 MB, 1049x1049) Image search: [Google]
pper.jpg
1 MB, 1049x1049
Why don't bands use panning like the beatles did?
>>
panning is like sauce on a burger

tasteful use of it is expected, almost mandatory these days - a boring mono stereo space does not a nice mix make

however it needs to be used with discretion, too much of it becomes messy and detracts from the overall quality leaving you with a soppy tasteless burger
>>
Imagine Panda drumming in a channel and singing in the other one
>>
>>60961454
The Beatles used extreme panning because 4 track stereo technology was so limited in those days. You end up with drums in hard right, lead vocals hard left, etc. It wasn't stylistic, it was necessity.
>>
Mono peppers is superior peppers btw
>>
>The Beatles did it, so it must be good
>>
>>60961454
qotsa has lots of panning

sometimes drums in only one channel
>>
>>60961644
What wait? explain how it was a necessity
>>60961662
The beatles were good at it
>>
it's cool listening to each side in mono it's like getting two dub remix albums for free
>>
>>60961674
>The Beatles were good at it because they were The Beatles
>>
>>60961710
No fuck off I'm just saying I like the Beatles
>>
>>60961735
>I don't know why I like The Beatles, but it's definitely not because they are The Beatles
>>
>>60961454
Who the hell made this cover, it's shit
>>
>>60961754
It's because they made great music, now stop being a twat
>>
>>60961779

He's using a trip whilst not being OP, of course he's a twat, infact he's probably a raging mincing homosexual too
>>
>>60961779
>The Beatles made great music because they were The Beatles
>>
Because The Beatles use panning horribly. They spent the large majority of their time mixing and mastering for mono and pretty much just did the stereo as an afterthought, completely half assed.

Even when I was 14 and going through my Beatles phase I thought it was weird. Nowadays I think the stereo versions are practically unlistenable.
>>
>>60961779
>he
>>
>>60961674
>>60961710

The Beatles didn't even take part of the stereo mixes. They participated in making the mono mixes, and when they worked on the stereo mixes, they left before saying, "Just push it to the sides" or something like that.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.