[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"music is my life" Why are you fuckers so obsessed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
>"music is my life"
Why are you fuckers so obsessed with music lmao
>>
>>60806030
NY faggot get out
>>
>>60806053
what
>>
>>60806030

music is the highest art form

it brings meaning to a lot of people's lives and makes us/them feel pleasure and other powerful emotions

but it's okay if you don't like it. some people like literature, some people like film, some people like anime and video games, who cares.
>>
>>60806152
>music is the highest art form
stopped reading right there
>>
>>60806172

prove me wrong
>>
>>60806030
i dare someone to call that number
>>
>>60806152
Music is easily the lowest art form, both the most populist and the one that's *continuously* made to appeal to people who don't practice it or understand it. And I say this as a musician and a lover of music.

Hence why you see so many people whose musical criticism boils down to "authenticity" and "the lyrics here are so honest" instead of chord progressions or tonal construction.
>>
>>60806030
Many scientists estimate we have to give credit to music for a lot of things. We've been making music for AT LEAST as long as we've been drawing. Flutes estimated to be around 40,000 years old have been found, not to mention how long we were creating vocal/percussion based music before that.
Some go as far to estimate that this creative outlet bred for a more creatively thinking mind in humans which led to our early success as a species, as well as early music helping foster spoken language.
Music (and other art forms) are extremely important and our society takes it for granted.
>>
>>60806201
Defend your premise, the burden is on you. How is it higher than film? Interactive media? Sculpture? Poetry?
>>
>>60806223
i agree with most of what you're saying, but i would argue that the fact that people who don't understand music can enjoy it makes it one of the highest art forms.
>>
>>60806223
Your post doesn't make sense. First there is no established criteria of what makes an art form "high" or "low". Secondly, you start talking about the entirety of music then support your premise by talking about only a portion of it, so your argument doesn't follow logically even if it did make sense to begin with.
>>
>>60806223
I feel like that's what makes it the highest art form, the way it can connect so many people without even trying.
>>
>>60806223
Furthermore you make a false assumption that chord progressions or tonal construction are more important than, in your example "authenticity', but you don't explain at all why they are more important.

As an analogy, that is like saying "sentence structure is more important than having authentic characters in literature".
>>
Every known culture, past and present, has music even isolated tribal groups. It is an artform that comes in enough styles that everyone can appreciate it no matter their age, race, intellectual ability or religion. I have never met anyone that hates all music, and I can't think of any artform besides maybe storytelling that everyone can appreciate.
>>
>>60806342
not samefag, but i that's just his opinion, like how some people value graphics in video games over gameplay or vice versa
>>
>>60806223

maximum b8
>>
>>60806395
That's my point, what makes art good or appealing is not readily quantifiable because of subjective preferences but he makes the assertion that it is.
>>
>>60806342
No, that's like saying "sentence structure is more important than having an authentic author".
Which it is, because one is an actual part of the art form, the other is shit people make up in interviews and in the back of their books to seem deep and make people want their products.
>>
>>60806121
516 is the area code for Nassau County, NY.

Source: Live in Nassau County, NY.
>>
>>60806267
>write a poem
>get a famous rapper to rap it
>ITS NOT MUSIC LAMO
>ITS NOT ART
when will it end
>>
>>60806413
>this whole thread isn't bait
>>
>>60806390
Was gonna say, literature and poetry essentially predate music and can be found in every culture.

Also, there is a certain percentage of people who are literally unaffected by music. I personally know one person who finds music "annoying" and never understood the appeal. This person is otherwise totally normal.
>>
>>60806447
What are you even saying?
>>
>>60806053
Masshole get out.
>>
>>60806451
Yeah, and I know people who've never read a book before and see no value in visual art. Sure is anecdotes in here
>>
>>60806436
Your analogy is wrong because the first example is talking about the authenticity of the art and your example is talking about the authenticity of the composer.
>>
>>60806204
called it
he started yelling at me to stop calling him
>>
>>60806550
That's what I meant when I was talking about authenticity. There's not such a thing as "fake" music, chucklefuck.
>>
>>60806584
You're not making any sense, your analogy is wrong, you have no argument, and now you're resorting to name-calling. Please stop posting I won't indulge you any further.
>>
>>60806223
>Music is easily the lowest art form,
Nope its clothing and culinary
>>
>>60806933
Absolutely wrong.
It's film and videogames
>>
>>60806933
Well if you consider them art forms then sure, very much agreed.
>>
>>60806953
>]
>31 / 0 / 16 / 1
>[
>>
we have nothing else m8
>>
>>60806985
>paints that pic
>holds it wearing a wedding ring
>>
>>60806223
>why you see so many people whose musical criticism boils down to "authenticity" and "the lyrics here are so honest" instead of chord progressions or tonal construction.
Because of their limited exposure to music.

Tarzan would be a shitty fashion reviwer, but this means shit about fashion art

>but tarzan is just one guy
so??? in the specific case of music somehow people were able become the tarzan equivalent
>>
>>60806953
Fashion is worse because ytou cant dress anything you want.
With music you can listen to stuff like lowercase, harsh noise or tonefield
with fashion there is stuff you cant use because of "muh trends"

same with culinary you are limited by what you can eat, you freedom to do anything you want

all other artforms are on the same level
>>
>>60807016
sneak-dissing Mrs. Gira
>>60806953
film is the best art form
>>
>>60806030
you're probably a nigger and therefore don't understand complex things like music

>get back to africa
>>
>>60808268
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>60808268
>>>/pol/
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.