[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/daily/ '"music discussion"'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 113
File: Dank Memes Playing At My House.png (3 MB, 2496x1200) Image search: [Google]
Dank Memes Playing At My House.png
3 MB, 2496x1200
We shitpost, talk music and visit festivals occasionally.
In /daily/ you can systematize your backlog, discover new music, get taste, tell us what you've been listening today! (or don't!)

relevant links:

topsters.net
>chart your listening quota over a set (or not set) timeframe

https://synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>Plug-ersatz for listenalongs and real-time memery

http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random shit

Most importantly, get taste!

Previous thread: >>60686916
>>
>>60730447
>https://rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/%E7%81%B0%E9%87%8E%E6%95%AC%E4%BA%8C/the_greatest_hits_of_the_music/
>using CDJs
D R O P P E D
>>
File: ralph.jpg (8 KB, 251x221) Image search: [Google]
ralph.jpg
8 KB, 251x221
>mfw listening to the Junko solo album
send help

>>60731156
he's no Yoshihide, that's for sure
>>
>>60731167
I thought Goebbels Heart made the most sense, seeing as I am running an Otomo bonus round on the chart as well. Diggin' deep, yo.

Still need one more album from one more /daily/friend. First come, first serve as they say in bukkake movies!
>>
>>60731313
maybe you'd like FKA Twigs - LP1?
>>
So, now that I've finally remembered this thread on a first of the month, do I just throw 30/31 albums in a chart and do them one a day?
And do you all trip?
>>
File: avantteen.png (3 MB, 1714x2000) Image search: [Google]
avantteen.png
3 MB, 1714x2000
Listened to Fear of a Black Planet and really liked it. The beats and the flow were phenomal. I still have to dissect the lyrics, which will probably decide whether it'll be a 7 or an 8.

7-8/10

Listening to Henry Flynt now, what should I do after that?
>>
>>60731368
most of us trip, not all of us (although the anons don't really seem to stick around).
30/31 albums is the main idea yes but it doesn't really matter, if you don't know what to put on you can ask us!
>>
>>60731376
alone in san fran to be honest familia
>>60731368
up to you m8, feel free to do whatever you want
>>
>>60731376
SKETCHES OF SPAIN
>>
>>60731386
>>60731393
thank you! may manage to do both
>>
>>60731381
>>60731386
Yeah, I have no idea whether I'll be to hang around for very long, but eh, I can try.

I tend to listen to more than one 'new' album per day, but I'm not sure whether I can manage to do it every day.
If you have any sugestions of stuff to add, they're welcome.
>>
File: 0004001220_10.jpg (92 KB, 1200x612) Image search: [Google]
0004001220_10.jpg
92 KB, 1200x612
>Junko - The Void

So….

2 tracks of screaming.

“Full Void” is just screaming with no effects. Fuck. I really don’t know what to say. I guess I will start with my first observation. Junko actually has some “lyrics” or “words” that she shouts out. You barely notice it in Hijokaidan because there’s also Jojo’s guitar that distracts you. I wouldn’t say I was able to decipher a single word here either but I can at least hear her forming words.

Now the vocal performance involves the high pitches she usually operates at. The vocal chords are on the absolute edge. 20 minutes of it. It does affect me emotionally so I guess it’s good…? I felt distressed the whole time. Maybe around the 17th minute it started to weaken.

“Empty Void” is also screaming but through extreme distortion. Now this freaked me the fuck out even more. At some point I felt like there is slight delay applied because her voice seems to merge with the distortion. The moments when she’s gasping for breath to unleash the next shout becomes a minor sound glitch. Harsh noise? More like harsh voice. The distortion really kicks it up a notch. 10 minutes were enough for it to induce a headache. Everything further down was just a nightmare.

I have troubles rating this. I mean on one hand it’s just a woman screaming. On the other hand, I felt violated. I knew what to expect but it still sort of kicked me in the guts. That’s a good thing for a recording of this nature. I think there is a lot of potential in using additional effects with her voice to reach even further stages of panic. I hope her vocal chords will survive for another decade or two for something more varied to happen.

7/10

I am not sure how soon I will reevaluate this. Totally worth 7 euros for the experience alone though. Getting an LP of this is probably too much though.
>>
>>60731470
oh wow, fuck you Apple autocorrect with the vocal "chords". I meant cords.
>>
>>60731467
looks good! Same for me btw, sometimes I listen to 4 albums and sometimes to 0, which is why I use a topsters chart instead of a calendar. It really doesn't matter, just do what suits you best!
>>
File: don't trust your neighbors.jpg (150 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
don't trust your neighbors.jpg
150 KB, 500x500
Just put this on for my train ride home. Seems really good so far.
>>
File: NETLABEL NOVEMBER.jpg (589 KB, 1951x2675) Image search: [Google]
NETLABEL NOVEMBER.jpg
589 KB, 1951x2675
So it's done!
It was cool, even though i haven't found any keepers or reaaally good albums.
If I had more time i would've done some wasabi tapes but it was a very lazy month and i was a very lazy person.

Next I might focus on making some discography charts, based on singular artists, so that will be cool!
>>
File: Vulnicura 1.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Vulnicura 1.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Some /blog/ time. Here are the cool Vulnicura Live from Rough Trade. Might listen to it tomorrow.

1/3
>>
File: Vulnicura 2.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Vulnicura 2.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>60731953
pretty picture discs
>>
File: dank moleskins.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
dank moleskins.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>60731967
final cool purchase of the day. After the business meeting I had, I stumbled into an office store and they had these. I love Moleskins so grabbed these almost instantly.

/blog

might listen to a very special release next which might be my possible AOTY from what I can tell.
>>
>>60731988
>entry level jazz themed branded notebooks
loaf
>>
>>60731988
>Invest
what is this capitalist propaganda you are putting up

Also, hahaha, come on, man, I need your album recommendation. I want it! I want it badly!
>>
File: wind harp.jpg (109 KB, 580x565) Image search: [Google]
wind harp.jpg
109 KB, 580x565
Halfway through the second listen of this. It sure is interesting. If anyone is into drone, field recordings or dark ambient, I can rec it. It is quite lengthy for something this monotone, but then again I don't do drone that often, so maybe it's just me.

>>60731967
>>60731953
That ISO
Nice purchase though
>>
>>60732018
better than nothing :)
They also have cool Blue Note stickers inside.
>>60732020
Bodie/Kane/Marcus - Investments. Possibly the greatest finance book I have ever had.
>>60732026
>That ISO
Phone camera. Takes too long to up and resize good quality photos.

That's a big harp...
>>
>>60732074
>That's a big harp...
uuuu
>>
File: batak music.jpg (420 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
batak music.jpg
420 KB, 1425x1425
>>60732074
corporate swine desuhonest

>>60732020
okay
are you voting no because you're a leftist pig, nationalist pig or capitalist pig?
>>
File: 1712_4f87df2dd0a82.jpg (84 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1712_4f87df2dd0a82.jpg
84 KB, 480x320
>>60732271
Den eneste grund til at jeg læner mig mere op af et NEJ end JA, er grundet tilvalgsordningen. Havde den ikke været der, havde jeg helt klart stemt JA da retsforbeholdene egentlig bare er i bedste fald symbolske og værste fald, forældede.
>>
>>60732331
I was handed a flyer telling me to vote no when I was in Denmark a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea what it's all about though.
>>
>>60732367
It is awful; one referendum for stuff that should have been spread out over three votes, not just one.
>>
>>60731988
did you buy a pretty miles n' 'trane pencil case too?
>>
File: AMON!.png (894 KB, 1439x1318) Image search: [Google]
AMON!.png
894 KB, 1439x1318
looking nice
>>
>>60732426
Yeah this is really a problem with this referendum. But i guess it's a clever way to get the tilvalgsordning because people don't like pedophiles.
>>
>>60732450
hueee
>>
File: avantteen.png (3 MB, 1714x2000) Image search: [Google]
avantteen.png
3 MB, 1714x2000
Thelonious and Flynt were fucking great. Will try to listen to Sketches from Spain later today!
>>
>>60732489
Wait what's the exact referendum? Like I know it's supposed to be about the EU, but what is asked exactly? Also, are the results binding or advisory?
>>
File: a2213305377_10.jpg (434 KB, 1199x1200) Image search: [Google]
a2213305377_10.jpg
434 KB, 1199x1200
>Romain Baudoin - 1 Primate

Recommended to me by a certain individual on RYM who is also a huge fan of the wheeley diddley fiddley.

I love the hurdy gurdy sound. Now combine it with some style of (?French?) folk (I am not familiar with what exactly I am hearing, so I’m not going to get smart on this) and what sounds like stoner rock riffs. It’s huge. Oh, and did I mention that this is no usual hurdy gurdy. It’s an instrument titled “Torrom Borrom”.

The opener “Paret” is an intensifying lyra drone that leaks into the second track “Sérendipité”. This one is absolutely magnificent. Powerful guitar combined with folk hurdy melodies make it a very interesting track. There is a slight interlude around the seventh minute mark before the main instrumental force finalizes the track with kick drums and eventual slow clean guitar progressions.

“Aqueras” begins with a tanpura-like drone from the hurdy before a guitar progression kicks in. What I like is the percussive element from the hurdy gurdy accompaniment. It works really well with the kick drum. Then there’s a borderline dark ambient Larsen 1 which is built around pulsating sounds of what seems to be an electronic source. It’s hard to tell, considering that the album notes say that the only “overdub” used was in one of the following tracks and that the rest of the album was performed on the torrom borrow only. Tasty drones nevertheless.

Beneath all the haunting veils, the sudden minimalist acoustic guitar repetition gives birth to Lua. What follows is a dissonant staggering of several guitars. It sounds slightly off at times but I did enjoy the fact that it had a very thought out ending.
>>
>>60733184
Results are binding.

The referendum is whether to abolish our four exceptions that came as a prerequisite to signing the Lisbon treaty, then instead give the Folketing a mandate to join future EU legislations with a majority instead of putting it to a referendum (the tilvalgsordning) and immediately joining 22 pre-agreed EU legislations, or not to do any of that.

As I said, awfully complicated and awfully put together.
>>
File: Romain Baudoin.jpg (89 KB, 960x641) Image search: [Google]
Romain Baudoin.jpg
89 KB, 960x641
>>60733319
“Batsarra” once again employs the lyra in a very interesting rhythmic setting, allowing for what sounds like a folk instrument to go crazy over it. The progressions definitely feel like they have an ethnic background. An electric guitar does small interchanges with the other instrument from time to time, making it a very pretty conversation of the instruments. The coda here is really cool too.

“Pastors” begins with more pretty hurdy gurdy chord progressions. Two and a half minutes in, there is a vocal section appearing. Not sure what language they’re in though. The vocal section is followed by metallic hurdy gurdy improv, more guitar repetition and more vocals. An abrupt end to the track leads into the closing dark ambient piece “Larsen 2”. It’s even more EAI-sounding improv that finishes the album on a rather creepy note.

Very strong album that explores an interesting shade of the hurdy gurdy. The torrom borrom seems like a neat idea. I really liked this. It felt very fresh to my ears.

9-/10
>>
File: yurga hinga dinder.png (4 MB, 1680x1757) Image search: [Google]
yurga hinga dinder.png
4 MB, 1680x1757
The month is over.
More trip hop like that one pretty please.
>>
File: oktaste.jpg (452 KB, 1250x1250) Image search: [Google]
oktaste.jpg
452 KB, 1250x1250
hey /daily/ please give me recs. i've been lurking for one year now and i want to get taste
also where do you get your music from, if it's not /mu/?
>>
>>60733907
rym, discogs, youtube, record stores, secret blogs, etc.
>>
>>60733907
listen to The For Carnation's s/t.

I get a lot of music from RYM, record label explorations and just looking at the affiliated artists of the people I already dig. /daily/ recs at times too.
>>
File: thissucks.jpg (52 KB, 143x201) Image search: [Google]
thissucks.jpg
52 KB, 143x201
GIMP crashed and now I have to remake my calendar. :'(
>>
>>60733907
rym mostly, just make genre charts

here sum reks:
Faine Jade - Introspection: A Faine Jade Recital
Deep Puddle Dynamics- The Taste of Rain...Why Kneel?
The Langley Schools Music Project - Songs of Innocence and Despair
>>
I've been listening to The Smudge a lot. Weirdo experimental shit. lol.
>>
>>60734153
what exactly do you like about them?
>>
File: 5921243.jpg (56 KB, 507x472) Image search: [Google]
5921243.jpg
56 KB, 507x472
>Pink Floyd -1965

A collection of the very first Floyd recordings with Barrett. Some of the tracks on here I’ve heard on the Barrett compilation titled “Have You Got It Yet?”. Bob Klose plays guitar on this EP, so that’s pretty interesting.

All the recordings are early efforts of writing standard blues rock/rock and roll tunes. Lucy Leave has some catchy singing from Barrett (LEEEEEAAAAVVVEEEE) and some glimpses of what Floyd would sound in the following years with their earlier singles (See Emily Play/Apples and Oranges). I feel like I have heard this exact jangly guitar progression somewhere but I can’t remember where.

“Double O Bo” sounds like a John Lee Hooker style blues track. Single acoustic guitar chord strummed to a blues guitar lead. Barrett delivers a story about a private detective, an abrupt line at a time.

“Remember Me” has the Morrison-style shouted expressive vocals along with more of the standard rhythm blues guitar, possibly on Barrett’s Esquire. I like Wright’s keyboard contributions with the very smooth keyboard playing.

“Walk With Me Sydney” (a Waters track for a change) also sounds fairly close to what The Doors would be doing around the same time but slightly more primitive. It’s an enjoyable blues pop sound that refers back at the hippie generation but nothing “out there” per se.

“Butterfly” reminds me of a slightly reworked version of Apples And Oranges. The intro has similar chord arrangements.A fairly mellow blues rock track about catching butterflies into butterfly nets.

The closing “I’m A King Bee” was on that Barrett compilation I heard before. It’s just a pleasant Slim Harpo cover with some minor harmonica playing and obvious lewd references to bees, beehives and stings.

It’s ok. Always down for some blues rock, even though it isn’t particularly remarkable. What’s amazing is that these guys actually went on to make Piper 2 years after. Now that shit is insane.

6+/10
>>
>>60733907
>give me recs
Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - Crystal Rainbow Pyramid Under the Stars
>also where do you get your music from, if it's not /mu/?
Friends, share blogs, finds at record stores, last.fm
>>
File: ha.jpg (565 KB, 1024x2600) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
565 KB, 1024x2600
let's get this done!
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/bicep/ep1/
>House

image is .jpg because png is 3 MB
>>
File: figuratively.jpg (575 KB, 1024x2600) Image search: [Google]
figuratively.jpg
575 KB, 1024x2600
>>
File: cool pepe.jpg (73 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cool pepe.jpg
73 KB, 1000x1000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qt9PiKxN54
>>
>>60734933
That video is just one giant nip-slip, jeez.

Also, it is pretty weird that those grown men are crawling on top of her bathhouse.

Anyways, what should I listen to after FKA twigs?
>>
Also:
>Transfall, by ErikM
A really good anarchic statement against organized music. It was like listening to a musical contortionist but with a purpose other than to contort. I really enjoyed this, especially "Austral", "Lein Surface" and "Pavlova".

This is my other chart besides the one I just posted - what should I listen to from this one next, /daily/?
>>
File: modernclassical.png (70 KB, 547x273) Image search: [Google]
modernclassical.png
70 KB, 547x273
So I got really bored listening to so much plunderphonics and sound collage last month. Sorry I never finished that chart (not that anyone was really dying to see it completed anyway).

I'm doing modern classical stuff this month, though.

Modern classical recs pls
>>
>>60735344
Oh and the stuff in the pic is what I've already listened to.
>Unjust Malaise is my favorite so far

I'm also open to random avant-teen stuff
>>
>>60735344
>La Monte Young - The Second Dream of the High-Tension Line Stepdown Transformer From the Four Dreams of China
>Alarm Will Sound / Alan Pierson / Jonny Greenwood / Vicky Chow - Radio Rewrite
>Lubomyr Melnyk - Windmills

I think these count
>>
File: Happy The Man (1977).jpg (17 KB, 298x300) Image search: [Google]
Happy The Man (1977).jpg
17 KB, 298x300
My second time listening to this album. I think this is the first time ever that I've ADDED songs to my document of tracks I liked rather than removed. So the only two songs that I didn't add from it are the remaining ones, "Upon The Rainbow" and "On Time as a Helix of Precious Laughs". The voice is just too grating for me to enjoy those.
>>
>>60735344
Haven't heard RC/WP myself but String Quartet no.2 and For Philip Guston are both great.
>>
>>60735141
Yoshihide and Laswell did something together? Damn, how did i not know.
>>
>>60735344
I'm a fan of Schönberg's Pierrot Lunaire, so that if don't mind classical with vocals. Riley's In C is pretty essential.

Tzadik's Composer series has some interesting stuff as well, if you're also going to do contemporary.
>>
>>60735141
>>60734933
I have to wonder how much of it is intentional. She basically spends the entire video trying to stay covered. Also weird ass diving board man is totally out of place.
>>
>>60735344
Here's a heaping helping of Polish Serialism and Sonorism for you

Witold Szalonek - Works for String Quartet (Silesian String Quartet)
Krzysztof Penderecki - Orchestral Works Vol. 1
Tadeusz Baird - Four Essays
>>
File: _leaves daily once_..png (679 KB, 1326x569) Image search: [Google]
_leaves daily once_..png
679 KB, 1326x569
it wasn't always this bad was it?
>>
>>60734575
>no EP1 on discogs
>no tracklist on rym
I'm officially bamboozled.
>>
>>60735523
Yes, it has always been, you're just getting older.
>>
>go to RYM wishlist for some backlog albums
>see this
>cry
:(
>>
File: Jon Arbuckle is Dogwander.png (79 KB, 500x146) Image search: [Google]
Jon Arbuckle is Dogwander.png
79 KB, 500x146
>>60735575
>implying you need more than one album from either of those artists
>>
>>60735616
I miss Gero. They humor me. They tumor me too probably, but I'll worry about that later.
>>
Oh jeez I'm going to have to clear some disk space. rip

>>60735372
Sure, why not? They look reasonable.

>>60735406
>4 1/2 hours
>6 hours
Wow that's intimidating. But sure, I'll give them a shot.

>>60735477
Pierrot Lunaire has been sitting on my rym wishlist for a while now. I recently got it off slsk, but a few tracks were missing. I'll look into Tzadik, and Riley.

>>60735519
Sweet. I did really like Matrix 5, so hopefully I'll enjoy more Penderecki.

Thanks for all the recs, guys.
>>
>>60735344
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/luciano_cilio/dialoghi_del_presente/
>>
File: Jon Arbuckle makes an argument.png (61 KB, 500x145) Image search: [Google]
Jon Arbuckle makes an argument.png
61 KB, 500x145
>>60735643
>implying I don't advocate hoarding worthless albums for the hell of it
Can you guess how many NWW albums I have in my library?
>>
>>60735713
152?
>>
>>60735713
One or maybe two.

Actually, my guess is zero. No, a hundred. No, zero.
>>
>>60735761
>>60735758
Only 13 actually, but that's 13 more than how many would be reasonable or socially acceptable.
>>
>>60734838
Could you upload this for me? Getting it on slsk would take a while.
>>
>>60735804
>Only 13 actually, but that's 13 more than how many would be reasonable or socially acceptable.
I used 152 cause that's how many RH releases I have. I doubt that is socially acceptable either.
>>
>>60735533
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ep1-ep/id590673786

i just listened to it on yt marameo
>>
>>60735899
>RH
I'll probably figure it out by the time I post but what?
>>
File: 1360097209020 (1).png (421 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
1360097209020 (1).png
421 KB, 500x489
>>60735973
>>
>>60735713
Somewhere someone has the entire collection of Merzbow releases.
>>
File: 1448846330905.jpg (37 KB, 960x638) Image search: [Google]
1448846330905.jpg
37 KB, 960x638
>>60735999
>>
File: Jon Arbuckle is scared.jpg (89 KB, 500x150) Image search: [Google]
Jon Arbuckle is scared.jpg
89 KB, 500x150
>>60735999
Do you have all their albums ten times for some reason?
>>
>>60735344
Terry Riley - In C
Henry Flynt - You Are My Everlovin / Celestial Power
Philip Glass - Glassworks
Kaija Saariaho - Chamber Music (Wolpe Trio / Andreas Boettger)
>>60735575
Wasn't it like officially C O N F I R M E D now though?
>>
>>60736038
A lot of bootleg live shows, the Towering Above The Rest compilation which is like 24 CDs, all the singles, pre-RH tapes,instrumentals and stems,etc, etc.
>>60736007
>tfw have 160
damn...
>>
>>60736078
Im the same way with Zoviet France, and their projects, for some reason tribal ambient always makes me mellow out.
>>
>>60736070
>Wasn't it like officially C O N F I R M E D now though?
I don't think it's the same thing though. Juntaro is back though. I hope 2016 is the year of the Gero.
>>
>>60736078
Seek help bud.
>>
File: vinyl.jpg (17 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
vinyl.jpg
17 KB, 500x375
>>60736078
I want to have all Otomo Yoshihide related releases some day. According to RYM though, with V/A comps, there are 195.

This is going to take a while!
>>
>>60736254
That is not counting Ground-Zero, though.
>>
>>60736138
Too late for that.
>>
File: done tbh.jpg (1 MB, 1024x2600) Image search: [Google]
done tbh.jpg
1 MB, 1024x2600
tbqh
>>
How does everyone here stay up to date on new releases? For the last 2 years or so I've only been listening to music that's at least 5+ years old and I want to get back into keeping up with what's new and hip beyond just browsing pitchfork
>>
>>60736408
I use RYM, TMT, Bandcamp and /daily/ to stay UP TO DATE. Plus, streaming services always highlight new releases so there is that.
>>
>>60736408
pick some labels, follow them. listen to college radio and npr. and rym naturally.
>>
>>60736439
>>60736436
thx :*
>>
File: modernclassicalchart.png (1023 KB, 708x1300) Image search: [Google]
modernclassicalchart.png
1023 KB, 708x1300
Alright here's the chart for the month. It's finals season for me, so if I listen to these while I study, I should be able to get through it all.

If I don't get through it all this month, it can roll over into January.

What should I listen to first?
>pls not feldman those 4+ hour things scare me
>>
>>60736664
Luciano Cilio
>>
File: MI0002453956.jpg (41 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
MI0002453956.jpg
41 KB, 400x395
Listening to this right now. The music is actually pretty interesting. Tribal rhythms presented in an industrial metal fashion. Some cool instrumentation sometimes flickers through the high amount of distortion. Then the vocals come on and seriously ruin everything. He's just narrating a documentary, or reading a newspaper article. The guy is obviously not a native speaker and both his accent and the blatantly wrong pronounciation of some words make the entire thing more comedic than serious. The actual conent of the lyrics is pretty unsettling though, with surgical experiments being discussed in detail.

>>60735243
Memory and Money

>>60736664
Windmills
>>
>>60736811
But I already listened to that - many times! Pick a new one.
>>
>>60736664
>Adult Themes for Voice
That's one hour of your life you'll never get back. If you want to get into avant-garde music, I suggest starting with the following artists instead:
>literally any other artist than Mike Patton
>>
>>60735243
Since it's on both your charts, do pekinese opera. Also add v/a - rapid to oy
>>
>>60736889
Why do you hate Mighty Mike, Termy?
>>
>>60736889
Yeah. That not even slightly good, just annoying.
>>
>>60735344
Krzysztof Penderecki - Matrix 5
Arditti String Quartet, Dawn Upshaw - Streichquartette I-IV (Schoenberg)
Charlemagne Palestine - Strumming Music
>>
>>60736831
Have you listened to all of the albums on that chart? Otherwise the Tetreault album.

On a side note, ever heard the collab between Otomo and Ferrari?
>>
>>60736981
Tétreault will go after Peking Opera then. And no, I haven't.
>>
>>60736939
le quirky music made by le avant-garde man except the quirk in his music is blatantly annoying and hamfisted and he just tries so hard to be avant-garde without ever making something remotely entertaining. Not even funny.
>>
File: improv.jpg (12 KB, 227x227) Image search: [Google]
improv.jpg
12 KB, 227x227
>>60736374
gonna be listening to this once I finish DISC 7
>>
>>60737026
it's almost ogre
>>
>>60737066
on my current listening tempo it'll take another week or so but god damn, I hope RYM is right about the last 4 discs being the best ones. Nothing so far has come close to disc 2.
>>
File: 1448998492557.jpg (871 KB, 1024x2600) Image search: [Google]
1448998492557.jpg
871 KB, 1024x2600
>>
>>60736889
I ought to give it a try anyway. Thanks for the heads up tho
>>
>>60736664
Neue Wiener Schule is the best album
Like others stated Patton sucks
Feldman is overrated
Dreyblatt has better albums
Good performance choices for the most part
>>
>>60737636
>taking up that much space
>>
>>60737922
so are you basically avataring as Jon now
>>
File: random.jpg (2 MB, 1024x2600) Image search: [Google]
random.jpg
2 MB, 1024x2600
Disc 7 was aight, some cool acoustic improv. Had its moments.

>>60737636
well, that sucked. could've been 6/10 material with some decent sound design but as it is it sounds cheap and boring.
>>
File: fug i am cunt with cat.png (177 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
fug i am cunt with cat.png
177 KB, 300x300
>>60737947
Nah, I'm just retarded.
>>
>>60737922
I know nobody else is going to listen to it
>>60737964
it's kind of bland, but I woudn't outright call it bad
>>
>>60738069
I just really can't stand overused 90s drum samples and synth presets.
>>
File: 1448847787547.png (173 KB, 283x372) Image search: [Google]
1448847787547.png
173 KB, 283x372
>>60738098
>mfw 808 cowbells
>>
File: annoyed_guy.jpg (79 KB, 1300x957) Image search: [Google]
annoyed_guy.jpg
79 KB, 1300x957
>>60738165
>mrw filtered 707 hihats
>>
File: me.jpg (29 KB, 525x533) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
29 KB, 525x533
>>60738165
>mfw real cowbells
>>
File: ding.png (1 MB, 1610x1610) Image search: [Google]
ding.png
1 MB, 1610x1610
>Dinosaur L - 24→24 Music
An Arthur Rusell project. A disco album where the rhythm changes every 24 bars with musicians improvise over the beat. There's a lot of people playing on this record so some tracks vary in playing styles and use of voices. Mostly funk at all times but there's some small tendencies to no wave and garage as well. It's neat.
Will listen to something from the bottom row tomorrow.
>>60736664
xenakis is cool
and those second viennese school recordings are neat, especially considering you're already into them
>>
>>60738343
Are you not listening to something every day or are you just still filling up your chart?
Also can you post your finished nbbmn chart?
>>
>>60738623
I'm just gonna ask for recommendations periodically and fill the empty slots with them I guess. I don't know for sure if I'll listen to something everyday or on which days after the 24th though.

As for NBBMN, I stopped using the chart, some I couldn't find, some weren't actually bm and some I just didn't want to listen to. I think I've added all the albums I listened to on rym these last days, though it might be missing one or two I guess. I also made a chart with my favorites: https://rbt.asia/boards/mu/img/0606/50/1448752565049.jpg
I'm not really well versed in black metal though.
>>
>>60735344
KUNIKO - Xenakis: IX (if that counts)
Steve Reich - Octet; Music for a Large Ensemble; Violin Phase (with him performing), I think I like this record as a whole more than 18 musicians by now
>>
>>60739115
>>60736664
o you already made the chart, mb.

anyways
Studies for Player Piano by Conlon Nancarrow is also pretty cool collection of very distinctive piano studies that doesn't have to be listened in its entirety, but I'm not sure of my opinion on it for now. Maybe check out a few studies and decide if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
bump

what are you memers doing?

Just finished watching memeball, muh Milan won in extra time against a terrible team. Might listen to Jandek now.
>>
>>60739827
just got back from the library, filling out my next chart and eating some french fries

listening to pic
>>
guess who's gimmick just timed out
still doing the chart doe

>>60739827
today I dont have time for music honestly but I'm listening to the A Winged Victory For The Sullen s/t
>>
>>60739948
>guess who's gimmick just timed out
JimmyJazz's?
>>
*whose

>>60739989
did he have a gimmick?
>>
File: R-6601089-1422856001-7151.jpeg.jpg (187 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
R-6601089-1422856001-7151.jpeg.jpg
187 KB, 600x600
>>60736408
Start looking for the labels that release your favorite albums. Especially smaller labels often have a distinct style (eg Scissor Tail releases mostly instrumental, unconventional americana music). once you've found some of these smaller labels you like, you'll get a steady supply of new albums every month.
Albums often have quotes from reviews on their release page. There's a whole world of good music review magazines and blogs out there and once you find some nice ones you probably won't be able to handle the new albums that get thrown at you. Right now I try to to keep up with attnmagazine and acloserlisten, but I only cherry-pick the most interesting albums, because finding new albums takes a lot less time than listening to them.
>>60739827
Just decided to stay up tonight to catch up with my classes. This semester is completely fucking me up. Eating peanuts, drinking coffee and listening to pic related rn.
>>
>>60740036
Idk. Did Transgod's gimmick time out then?
>>
>>60740055
idk did your gimmick time out?
>>
File: Jon Arbuckle has fun.png (48 KB, 500x149) Image search: [Google]
Jon Arbuckle has fun.png
48 KB, 500x149
>>60740094
Definitely not.
>>
File: hunther (33).jpg (92 KB, 200x280) Image search: [Google]
hunther (33).jpg
92 KB, 200x280
>>60740055
'fraid not
>>
>>60740271
Whose gimmick timed out then? Who can solve this mystery?
>>
>>60740285
it was me. sorry about the confusion.
>>
>>60740337
Mine also just timed out.... This is pretty awkward then, isn't it?
>>
>>60740376
meme'd :^) I'm not Karenin
>>
>>60740337
>>60740376
Damn, I would have never known.

>>60740507
Yes you are, take a look at what's in your name field.
>>
>>60739989
>gimmick
what
>>
>>60740507
i think its you who was memed, my friend ;^) i am actually karenin
>>
File: 1448841911562[1].png (34 KB, 82x144) Image search: [Google]
1448841911562[1].png
34 KB, 82x144
>>60740541
>>
Anyone else listening to Hazaragi dambora music from northern Afghanistan lately?
>>
>>60740540
Hush, the grown ups are memeing.
>>
>>60740590
No because I'll have enough of that once I fly back home in January for a week.
>>
File: trewq.jpg (7 KB, 750x229) Image search: [Google]
trewq.jpg
7 KB, 750x229
>>60740592
watch your words you filthy commie
>>
>>60740613
I've got some ballin' Kyrgyz kyl kyyak jams I can post too if that's more your thing.
>>
>>60740681
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMWKuLTxMF8
>>
File: spooky scary socialists.jpg (35 KB, 312x123) Image search: [Google]
spooky scary socialists.jpg
35 KB, 312x123
>>60740661
Make me.
>>
>>60740681
I'm a Pomiri soul, so northern Afghan stuff is more of my thing. can't wait to see my family blasting Ahmad Zohir on a cassette player.
>>
>>60740758
To be honest with you, I just came here to shitpost, and I didn't plan for what to do if anyone, much less a regular tripfag, actually recognized the obscure music I referenced.
I'll be leaving this thread now. sob bakhir
>>
>>60740936
no worries m8. You brought back some good memories.
>>
File: 5346231.jpg (83 KB, 766x775) Image search: [Google]
5346231.jpg
83 KB, 766x775
>Jandek - The Door Behind

That beard looks very clumsy. Jandek: The Feral Beast everyone.

“Do You Want Me” opens with a set of very confused strumming that sound like his piano on “The Beginning” out of all things. Peculiar. The lyrics sound like a reaction of someone who was bothered to come over for way too long. Well except for the fact that Smith brings in very shapeless imagery in the matter. “Here I am / You’re where I am all the time / Well, do you want me / Here I am” close off the song without actually stating what he was required for.

“Gate Strikes One” features such a sweet story of a bunch of people getting their friends together, followed by the new couple moving over to a private place with good feelings all around. Now the problem here is obviously the way this is all delivered. Jandek makes it all seem like a drunk and painful recollection of a past event. The crumbling guitar progression is just as upset about it as the vocals.

“I’m Not That Good” seems to be talking about a man who wants to take a risk but lacks the courage. The theme reminds me of the title track from Worthless Recluse. Both of the stories feature a protagonist whose wish is to disappear from his regular life but in both cases they face the fact, that they simply are not strong enough to follow their plan. The guitar is just as burning as it was on the previous tracks.
>>
File: Jandek_on_Corwood--Follow_Y.jpg (549 KB, 1952x1928) Image search: [Google]
Jandek_on_Corwood--Follow_Y.jpg
549 KB, 1952x1928
>>60741468
“The Slow Burn” has some absolutely nonsensical lyrics but they’re so goddamn fitting to the cover. This maniac complains about living alone in the house until someone actually shows up. “You shouldn’t have come here / It’s the place where I live” are the muttered lines. That seems like a huge concern for a person who spends the whole day contemplating how to “kill those squirrels running around in the top of my head “. The crazy man just wishes everyone around him would be dead just so he could live in peace. Such an absurd story. Of course Smith probably talks about something that probably has nothing to do with my interpretation. Does it even matter? It’s all so humorous, and yet somewhat (just somewhat) sad.

“It’s Only You” has some acrobatic guitar playing at the start with him really putting pressure on those poor guitar strings. Probably too busy being enamoured by whoever he is observing. Whoever the lyrics talk about seems to be the protagonist’s source of full satisfaction. Distractions barely matter in the world where the wonderful creature exists. The dementia episode is so powerful for the protagonist that he just starts chanting “There’s no end to this moment / You’re the everlasting one” again and again.
>>
File: so cold.jpg (99 KB, 800x810) Image search: [Google]
so cold.jpg
99 KB, 800x810
>>60741483
The closing “Every Sentence” has some more “playful” guitar playing but it still sounds like a deathbed episode. The protagonist of this situation walks the line of obsession but in a much more active way. Very masochistic too. He puts the object of his love on a pedestal where pretty much everything the interest touches becomes special, all the words that she says are beautiful, etc. Now, it’s fairly clear that his love interest doesn’t give too many shits about him considering all that is happening. This is why the closing “love me, I love you” sound upsetting. This protagonist has much to go through.

Fascinating lyrics on here. Each track does a wonderful job at actually creating relatable (for the most part) characters out of thin air. They all make my imagination run wild. The instrumental counterpart wasn’t as noticeable but it did a really good job at allowing the images to become clearer, especially on Gate Strikes One.

8+/10
>>
Good night /daily/
>>
File: December-chart-daily.png (3 MB, 1414x1237) Image search: [Google]
December-chart-daily.png
3 MB, 1414x1237
For December I thought I'd organise the pre-Floral Shoppe Vektroid that I had downloaded and explore it, see the kind of things she was making. Pretty excited for this one.

inb4 >she

I started off with Omegalpha, a mixture of drum 'n bass, some hard trance, a little bit of house, and some effect dousing to straddle ambient and noise.

The first collection of tracks is titled "Hell" and is undoubtedly very dark. The house beats hit hard here, and it's tough to predict where the beats will go - at one point, things gradually sloooow into an intimidating piece of ambient house, possibly with industrial influences, making good use of electrical noise bubbling up at the end of Torture Chamber - at other times, you'll get quite standard yet purposeful IDM passages. What I quite like about this arc is the continued use of the low C-key strike of a synth effect, with its frequent toll adding that purgatory air to the sinister proceedings.

After these tracks, the album actually takes quite a freer direction - while the beats still keep their energy, the song structures and, indeed, the overtones, become somewhat more spirited, which provides good forward flow and shows that an attentive producer is behind the keyboard. I very much like Matsykusal/Zwildnkotr, whose rather generic beat comes alive through far more atmosphere than there really should be...! The twins of W32.DDR are also appealing, where the combo of DnB and trance is reminiscent of Squarepusher's Ultravisitor, especially when it gives way to solo drums. I'd say the ending is quite weak, however. Not much to glean from the strobey 8 minute futuristic dance piece, apart from awareness of my lack of intrigue.

Was she really only 11-14 when making this? It's really quite likeable. I'd'nt've made something as outgoing as this. The youth becomes quite the bonus as it's reflected in the music. This isn't special, but it's sure heartily appreciable, and thus I'll give it a 5.5 - 6.
>>
>>60741859
>I'd'nt've
you mean I'dn't've? : ^ )
>>
File: GANGNAM STYLE.png (2 MB, 1213x1349) Image search: [Google]
GANGNAM STYLE.png
2 MB, 1213x1349
my war fucking sucked
>>
>>60742146
I actually meant I'd'n't'v'e
>>
File: 000daily chart.jpg (657 KB, 1093x1606) Image search: [Google]
000daily chart.jpg
657 KB, 1093x1606
>>60742155
When you gonna do The Dance of the Moon and the Sun?
What next from my chart
>>
>>60742552
SILY
>>
Gaze in horror at this awful hodgepodge of a chart that i'll probably never get the whole way through.
>>
>>60742552
souvlaki
>>
>>60742552
shit came up so i didnt have the time, the album is over 2 hours long
listen to foetus
>>
>>60736070
Already listening to In C, already listened to and love You Are My Everlovin (wouldn't consider that modern classical) but I'll check out the other two

>>60736974
Already listened to Matrix 5 and that Streichquartette, but will add Strumming Music

>>60739115
>>60739284
Eh, I can another row.
>>
File: dicky december.jpg (142 KB, 630x505) Image search: [Google]
dicky december.jpg
142 KB, 630x505
sup /b/ros
i did a chart for november but i have no real rating scale so theyre all like +8, so this is gonna be my first.

looking for lowercase recs pl0x
>>
>>60744027
Stetson when
w
h
e
n
>>
>>60744050
i'll listen to vol 1 tonight
may b all 3
>>
File: Term and S.png (2 MB, 1255x682) Image search: [Google]
Term and S.png
2 MB, 1255x682
Pharaoh Sanders - Jewels of Thought (1970)
>avant-garde jazz, spiritual jazz

Y'know, jazz is really nice. "Hum-Allah-Hum-Allah-Hum Allah" is very vocal, something I never expected from Sanders, but its pretty damn nice, if a bit overblown and overlong. "Sun in Aquarius" is where this album truly stands out. The use of dynamics between the pummeling, screaming saxophone noise and the calm, ethereal, more standard jazz sounds is nothing short of stunning. So basically B>>>A

3.0+

>>60730955
that OP pic is still the best thing that's ever come out of /daily/
>>
File: modernclassicalchart.png (1 MB, 708x1481) Image search: [Google]
modernclassicalchart.png
1 MB, 708x1481
I updated the chart to include the more recent recs. I did my ratings out of 5 last month, but I'll do 10 this month. Cause why not?

>Luciano Cilio - Dialoghi del Presente
Pretty good. This felt like a bunch of things, but I wouldn't necessarily have pinned this as classical upon first listen. Somewhere someone called this Italian prog, and that might be a little more accurate. Idk.

The first "quadro" felt like some kind of slowed down waltzing jazz standard. The guitar and piano interplay (I hope I'm using that word correctly) gave it a bit of a samba flavor. The second and fourth tracks were both nearly Jon Hassell-esque, and wouldn't be out of place on a new age or tribal ambient record. The last track was pretty guitar-centric, and again jazzy. Really, only the third track seemed at all classical in nature, and was a simple piano ballad. As simple as it was, it was stunningly beautiful. Shame it's the shortest track.

Anyway, I enjoyed all the music on here. Even if there was a bit of a scattershot approach, the atmosphere was fairly pleasant. Except for the stunning, but brief "Terzo Quadro" nothing really stood out for me, which is really my main issue with the album. The whole thing is pretty inoffensive, and I bet I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who actually hated this. If I return to this later, I might bump the score.

>7/10

>>60743251
Glad you remembered the American Primitivism stuff from a few weeks ago

>>60744027
What are the two albums to the left of The Ziggurat? Those look interesting. Btw, the Ziggurat is great.
>>
modernclassicalchart.png
1 MB, 708x1481
>>60744677
Forgot to update the chart pic

Also, what should I listen to next?
>>
>>60744677
Yeah, I had all of them right at the top of my "Recs From Daily" document.
Anything in particular you think I should add? I've listened to a couple of the albums I got rec'd already (hence why they're not on the chart) but I'm sure there's still a lot I could be missing.
>>
Instead of studying I ended up thinking metaphysical and epistemological thoughts. The Glass Bead Game and further reading into it caused all of this. It left me with questions, but my mind feels very clear. I might be able to start doing some work for uni.
If anyone here has some spare time you should read that book. Blackshaw's album named after it is pretty enjoyable as well.
>>60744731
Strumming Music!
>>
>>60744915
fuck u im gonna listen to mike patton instead
>>
File: goaheadandhavefunwiththat.jpg (14 KB, 400x276) Image search: [Google]
goaheadandhavefunwiththat.jpg
14 KB, 400x276
>>60745234
>>
File: andfuckyoutoo.jpg (36 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
andfuckyoutoo.jpg
36 KB, 600x400
>>60745234
>>
File: hy1.png (20 KB, 112x134) Image search: [Google]
hy1.png
20 KB, 112x134
>>60744677
Bitch Ass Darius - Follow the Sound
Vince Guaraldi & Bola Sete - From All Sides

listening to follow the sound rn and idk if im just too high but this bangs like no other.n ya ive listened to the first couple tracks and it's p insane how good it is. def something i want to actively listen to for the whole duration. idk why i havent listened to it yet tho i used to be a wtj dick rider and listened to everything he's done but this
>>60744915
looks dope af might actually cop it rn
>>
What are you up to /blog/?

I've been listening/relistening to a lot of early Ariel Pink lately, currently listening to Lover Boy.
God I hate writing papers. I shouldn't have gone to a college that requires students take courses outside of their major >:P
>>
>>60746256
What major are you taking?

And right now reading a shit ton of MacroEconomics homework while also trying to listen to the last couple albums on my calendar. Not going very well.

Also i just realized my exam period starts in a week. Kill me now.
>>
>>60746313
I'm a physics major, so it doesn't really seem like I need to take a class on ancient Indian history. I enjoy the material well enough, I just suck at writing papers.
:PPP I can't listen to new music while doing work. Lately I haven't even been listening to any music while working unless it's menial stuff, I don't know how you do it.
>Also i just realized my exam period starts in a week. Kill me now.
Ayy me too, it's gonna be terrible.
>>
>>60746450
as long as it's instrumental and doesn't have very many percussive elements, i can usually read and listen at the same time.

fuck dude, physics major sounds hard af.
>>
modernclassicalchart.png
1 MB, 708x1481
>Mike Patton - Adult Themes for Voice
Ya'll were bitching so much about this, so I just had to listen. While it certainly wasn't good, it was definitely not absolutely abysmal or anything. It wasn't the most disgusting thing I've heard, nor was it the most abrasive.

T.b.h. its worst offense was being really lame, distracted, and uninspired. A few tracks would form a coherent concept or theme for a few seconds, but lose it oh so quickly to random screams and shuffling sounds. And those brief coherent ideas weren't even that good. And the random distorted screaming certainly wasn't very good. Also, I shouldn't have to ask myself so many times, in one record, if I'm listening to somebody masturbating.

>4/10

>>60745338
>>60745368
jk im gonna listen to strumming next
>>
I'm trying to get into Nebraska, but I think I've been spoiled by all the indie folk it inspired since.
>>
>>60746975
do baird next

it'll be a nice contrast to that abomination
>>
File: december1.png (989 KB, 1000x1053) Image search: [Google]
december1.png
989 KB, 1000x1053
wasn't as awful as i thought it was going to be but it really wasn't that great either
less than average with some decent points
>>
File: almost the end of this one m8s.jpg (612 KB, 1660x1023) Image search: [Google]
almost the end of this one m8s.jpg
612 KB, 1660x1023
Insomnia Bump.
Also,

Orchid - Chaos is Me
>emo, hardcore, screamo

I guess it’s kinda weird that I’ve been on mu for so long and never listened to this. Having dabbled in both emo and the more aggressive sides of punk, I really figure I should’ve listened to this at some point, because it’s pretty much a perfect fusion between the two. Basically, this sounds a lot like a more emotional and melodic grindcore record.

The production on this record is great. It manages to capture a relatively punk sound without resorting to making it just unlistenable lo-fi, and it’s always really easy to focus in on any single instrument and be amazed by their performance. Speaking of which, the instrumentals and arrangements on this album are solid too. The drumming switches between half-time grooves and blast beats instantly, and the guitar work is amazing, with the aforementioned melodic elements taking a central role in each song’s arrangement. The ascending and descending tremolo riffs in “Boy With No Arms” invoke the image of a black metal band, but the rest of the band is just way more listenable than in an average BM song. Come to think of it, this is pretty much what I hope to hear every time I try to listen to black metal before i get disappointed by the reality of it.

Anyways, this album was great. It felt like it was the perfect length, a 20 minute burst of high emotion punk energy, topped off with the epic buildup of “Epilogue to a Carcrash” ending in another final burst of aggression, which I only wished varied up the formula of their screamo-jams a bit, but whatever, I can’t fault them for keeping the same sound for twenty minutes when I rated a 3 Hour minimalist drone album highly.

Overall: I liked it. Makes me wanna listen to more scramz if it’s as good as this
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-02-10-19-31.png (480 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-02-10-19-31.png
480 KB, 480x800
Good morning daily
and HOLY SHIT
this is fantastic
>>
File: natalie 13.png (188 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
natalie 13.png
188 KB, 500x376
Good Morning /daily/.

Work, followed by a new album or two.
>>60748319
the calendar gets better further on
>>60743251
>Magic Sam
>Sunn ou
>Fahey
au yess
>>
Hi /Daily/.
Decided to start posting here, hope I'll get some good recs and such. Gonna start a chart thingy.

Gonna start with Big Black's Bulldozer. I didn't go in expecting much because I don't like Big Black's EPs. I thought Lungs was really bad. But I actually got some decent noise punk. Feels like Songs About Fucking or even Atomizer stripped down.
7.5/10.
>>
>>60750745
Listen to Kazumoto Endo next. It was a pleasant surprise for me.
>>
File: december.png (1013 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
december.png
1013 KB, 1000x1000
Tibetans didn't get any better. And his Vadjeena got stuck in my head. ugh.
I guess I'll do the Bailey/Muir album next.
>>
File: folder.jpg (23 KB, 230x204) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
23 KB, 230x204
man i wanted through this general get me more into writing but i could not, esp the last couple days. but tbdesu i couldnt really give too much of a shit so whatever. i think ive said that all at least once before tho

this one should be relatively easy because its a gimmick. you have guitar hero derek bailey, singer amy denio and bloopsmaker dennis palmer doing gospel tunes with unconventional backing. the vocals are the dominating component by far and amy is a cool singer, singing some cool melodies with some cool close harmony. the backing usually sounds pretty industrial and blocky, which i guess could be kinda metaphoric (industrial revolutionary times n all), usually relatively modest actually, track 2 where bailey packs out the most of his usual kinda tmr-informed style is probably the highlight in terms of arrangement, of course this record its all about the juxtaposition, and its the point where the clash is at its most conflicting and awkward. but overall, so far, i dont think it makes for much more than a cool gimmick, even if id say its worth checking out for that alone cuz its only like 10 min
>>
>>60751677
Listen to Marshmallows! Great album.
>>
>>60752321
Will do, although I remember not being that blown away by their self-titled. Was quite some time ago though.
>>
>>60741859
wow this is crazy
I wanted to to the exact same chart two months ago I even have all the albums downloaded
>>
What are some essential Otomo Yoshihide albums?
>>
>>60754021
Revolutionary Pekinese Opera
Consume Red
Plays Standards
Good Morning Good Night
The Night Before the Death of the Sampling Virus

I M O
M
O
>>
>>60754021
the one where he's a hack doing turntably things
oh yeah and the other one where he's a hack doing guitar things :^)
>>
>>60754055
>>60754021
oh and probably his Jazz Ensemble stuff, haven't listened to it though
>>
File: Capture.png (22 KB, 239x62) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
22 KB, 239x62
what the fuck is this
you little shit
>>
>>60754055
I've already listened to the Ground Zero albums. I'll check the rest.
>>
File: R-1112855-1192986581.gif.jpg (10 KB, 234x231) Image search: [Google]
R-1112855-1192986581.gif.jpg
10 KB, 234x231
Pretty sparse compositions, nowhere near as polished as Muir's work with KC was, it's far closer to Bailey's solo stuff. Must say it seems closer to something Muir would do, but his madman percussion within a band structure was really nice. It starts off quiet and disengaged and as the album progresses becomes more and more involving. The final track, which is the longest on the album is also the best. With the most interesting sounds going on and the nicest interplay between the two. The result is in some way close to the collaborative efforts of Bennink & Mengelberg. Loads of non-rythmic percussion and non-melodic piano (or in this case guitar). Every track has something interesting going on though, and repeated listens pay off as is usually the case with such music.There's an especially beautiful part towards the end of the first song, almost recalling the intro to Larks'. All in all, really interesting stuff going on.

>>60754021
>>60754139
Otomo Yoshihide Plays the Music of Takeo Yamashita
Out To Lunch
Les Archives Sauvées Des Eaux
and Blue if you want something more mellow
>>
File: I hate myself.png (696 KB, 1160x430) Image search: [Google]
I hate myself.png
696 KB, 1160x430
>I Hate Myself - 10 Songs.

First thing first: the songs are predictable, I'm pretty sure that you've already heard somewhere these instrumental explosions, these slower parts that change becoming a lot more violent, this contrast between the clearness and sadness of the softer bits and the exaggerated dynamics and rage of the more hardcore pieces.
But you know what, this didn't bothered.
Despite the fact that what they do isn't mind blowing nor revolutionary, it's still very well made: the melodies and arpeggios are very effective, and the chord progression are emotive enough for me.

I also love the atmosphere on this record, and I think it is like this because of two factors: the tempo and the production. Except for a couple more fast parts, the tracks remain on mid-slow tempos, and because of this the melancholic melodies are extremely more effective.
The production is simple and clear; it may not seem that special, but for me it is a perfect choice: it makes this album sound like some friends that go out to play and crash the world.

I will relisten to this album, maybe under a blanket, in winter, remembering nice experiences.

7.5/10

>I Hate Myself - 4 Songs

This EP is a lot more punk than 10 Songs; with faster rhythms and more aggressive riffs, it sounds more like post-hardcore than emocore. Despite this, it still delivers effective and emotive melodies.
And then there is the voice.
The clean vocals do their job just right, they aren't bad, but they also aren't that good. The screamed vocals, on the other hand, are very unique: it is the one of a normal person, that tears his throat apart to make the emotions go out. Intense, sincere, raw.
The song structures are also nice, they make some nice and enjoyable climaxes.
I hope that everyone who tought that this is an acceptable mix is being ashamed right now.

7/10

[1/2]
>>
>>60755116

[2/2]

I Hate Myself - 3 Songs

The melodies are wonderful. There is something, I don't know what, that makes them sound extremely sincere, emotive, more than on every other release of them.
Adding to that, there is the vocalist that does an amazing job, harmonizing and using his voice in the best way possible.
It's a short, little emocore EP, written and realized very well. Very recommended.

8/10

>I Hate Myself - 2 Songs

Their most violent EP, it express rage and anger more than anything else.
The instrumental part is raw, aggressive and supported by a very abrasive mix.
Despite its short length, it's still a very enjoyable and intense little listen.

7/10
>>
give me good shit off this year/aotys
>>
File: cover.jpg (231 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
231 KB, 1440x1440
>>60755980
>>
File: tumblr_m7wvl5B7gr1r17mw1.png (647 B, 41x19) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7wvl5B7gr1r17mw1.png
647 B, 41x19
>>60755993
u-uhm, mega + rym pls?
>>
File: sad_bun_bun.png (60 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
sad_bun_bun.png
60 KB, 1366x768
>>60749153
>'good' rating to every reggae album except my favorite one
>>
>>60756129
>rym
no
but I'll upload it for you
>>
>>60756141
: (
i g-guess i just like the dubbier stuff more senpai...
>>
>>60756129
https://mega.nz/#!Y84WHRLL!VD64PHjx5yTk79y2feGtxbVLo-aWMtag_GCN7bRFq9k
>>
i feel like raging over the fact that my collage page crashed and there were too many things to add manually but then again im 2 depressed 2 be angry
>>
File: 1424787186274.gif (2 MB, 350x349) Image search: [Google]
1424787186274.gif
2 MB, 350x349
>>60756488
>>
File: rad.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
rad.gif
1 MB, 320x240
What's good tho?

>>60756720
Gnarly chicken.
>>
File: 1414893437295.png (277 KB, 380x530) Image search: [Google]
1414893437295.png
277 KB, 380x530
>>60756720
>u will never again b small enough to hug a chicken
>>
This Emma Myldenberger record, I have no idea how one reaches this sound. It's like somewhere between neo-medieval folk, south american folk, canterbury and kraut prog. Currently on a track that features a kalimba.
>>
File: daaamn.png (14 KB, 234x302) Image search: [Google]
daaamn.png
14 KB, 234x302
messaged coin locker kid about his facobook page suddenly being empty
this is the reply i got
>>
File: 4150006.jpg (97 KB, 483x500) Image search: [Google]
4150006.jpg
97 KB, 483x500
>Ustod Mohammad Hussein Sarahang - Live in Samarkand 1979

An actual pressing of a live performance from Sarahang. From what I know, Mohammad Hussain Sarahang was born in Afghanistan and spent his early days studying Indian Classical in India. The local musical traditions around Afghanistan are all very complex and are a result of the cultural synthesis between the surrounding regions. There’s actually some interesting info on this on the back of the record notes, going into the traditions of inviting hindustani musicians to the courts of Afghani rulers and the history of Ghazal vocalists but I’ll skip all that. Saharang is what we’re talking about here.

This particular recording of Raga Yaman and Raga Bhairav was made in the most beautiful city I have ever visited - Samarkand. The walls of Sher-Doh experienced the beauty of the following ensemble: Sarahang’s vocal performance/swaramandal, Mohammad Asef on tabla, Gilam Safar on harmonium and Zakir Kiyami on tambura. Together they all paved the way for Sarahang’s vocal performances. His vocal range is in the lower range regions and at times goes for some prolonged bass notes, for which he gets audible applause.The singing is in Dari if I’m not mistaken but apparently he also used to perform in Pashto and Urdu. His singing ranges from some extremely rapid word pronunciation to prolonged note improvisations. I was surprised by how well he actually managed to get some of the higher notes that seem very distant from the lowest notes he produced.
>>
File: ustod mohammad sarahang.jpg (9 KB, 216x260) Image search: [Google]
ustod mohammad sarahang.jpg
9 KB, 216x260
>>60757446
The musical accompaniment is something I’m not that well-versed to discuss but I did enjoy the droning tambura and how Sarahang voice swerved around it. I don’t think that the recording does good job at capturing the swaramandal and the harmonium as opposed to the much more audible tambura and tablas. I think that’s a valid complaint, regardless of how the whole document centres on Sarahang’s vocal performance. There are moments on the recording with slightly distracting volume switches but that’s more of the sound directors’ fault.

Overall I think there is a point in why he was respected in India. The entire performance seems to have something special. I’m still not that versatile in hindustani classical but this is gorgeous. I’ll ask my dad about what he’s talking about on the closing track because my farsi is pretty bad. Might be some interesting insights.

9+/10
>>
my brother and I are in the middle of a long discussion about this and i'd like you folks' input

make a power ranking list of these artforms

>>60757129
jesus, thats intense. i hope he's alright :(
>>
>>60757469
>1. what I like
>2. what you like
>3. what neither of us like
>>
>>60757446
>>60757460
Is it available on the internet? Or did you buy it?
>>
>>60757511
so

>1. food
>2. nothing
>3. everything else
>>
File: yum.png (931 KB, 604x774) Image search: [Google]
yum.png
931 KB, 604x774
>>60757525
Basically.
>>
>>60757554
loaf is the greatest art form of all
>>
>>60757517
It is on rutracker. I was trying to download it for a week or so but then (by some miracle) Hampus was able to download it quickly and upped it for me. #TYBH

https://mega.nz/#!M5ogEboQ!78W2dKB-IxdwYhBamigd6axiWE104GTOLSdgxJTB5X4
>>
>>60757577
Thanks!
>>
>>60757469
I think video games have the potential to be the greatest art form. They encompass many of the others on this list - sound, visual arts, film, even literature - plus adds the interactive element. Games are also not time constrained as much as film, and by the time you finally reach the end, you are more emotionally invested because of the personal effort to get there.
With that said, I don't know if there has actually been a game that beats the best films, books or music, but I would bet we will see that happen in the future
>>
File: December-chart-daily.png (3 MB, 1414x1237) Image search: [Google]
December-chart-daily.png
3 MB, 1414x1237
>Vectorfray - Bloodsample EP

Moving onto one of two EPs that look like brother releases, I unfortunately didn't enjoy this one very much. It's a short collection of two ambient tracks, two hardstyle-esque tracks.

The release opens with some low amplifier rumbles, which are tuned and modulated, ending up layered with others. It feels very complacent and characterless, even when making gateway for the dance tracks. Not a whole lot of interesting things are done with the fuzzy bass tones, and the clouds of noise feel insta-generated rather than measured.

Contraband Machinae is the hardstyle track, and it reminds me why I don't like hardstyle. The inflection of the beat is too standard to really carry the tune. I appreciate, actually, that there appears some lo-fi effects to drench the beats and try to add some mood, but it served to make the track slightly less boring, instead of lift it skyward.

Plastered Graves Apocalyptic was a DnB track, holy shit it was generic. Can't even write anything about it.

The somewhat good track, at least, came in the form of Bloodsample Epilogue. It's some more ambient, but the subdued effects peter around an empty space, almost like free improv. The clash of this thoughtful mood and the actual effect plasticity is an attention-grabbing, colourful one this time around. Quite enjoyed it.

Overall, it's not too good. Doesn't really feel purposeful or interesting. Feels like just an EP put out because Vectorfray felt like it. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I'm not a fan. 3/10
>>
>>60757469
>film lower than photography
>'natural world'
>architecture lower than fashion design
>ignoring the entire sense of smell
i shigged so many diggies
>>
>>60757446
>>60757460
Why do you waste your time on jandek when you could be reviewing cool stuff like this?
>>
>>60757834
That's not an ordered list, we just put them there in order of what we thought of first

And yeah, Natural World is a bit weird, wikipedia says:

>In the natural world large scale creative works can involve horticulture for the cultivation of plants, earthworks for landscaping and irrigation or rainwater harvesting for water features, in gardens, parks and botanical gardens
>>
>>60757857
anyway, I think it's very off to 'order' artforms other than on the artist's intent and the sense(s) it caters to.
>>
>>60757834
>ignoring the entire sense of smell
no it's just everyone is afraid to say you should take a shower
>>
>>60757469
1. Visual Arts (includes sculpture, phtotgraphy, and 'electronic')
2. Music
3. Literature
4. Film
5. Performing Arts
6. Architecture
7. Video Games
8. Food
>>
>>60757469
1 sound
2 film
3 literature
4 fashion design
5 photography
6 sculpture
7 visual arts
8 videogame
9 architecture
10 food
11 natural world
***POWER GAP***
electronic and dance
>>
>>60757890
top jej
i mean, creating perfume should be considered an art form if food is
>>
File: SEETHATGUYHESAFRIENDOFMINE.png (3 MB, 1666x1718) Image search: [Google]
SEETHATGUYHESAFRIENDOFMINE.png
3 MB, 1666x1718
>ranking artforms
>>
>>60757469
Way too complex to make a decent ranking. Would you rank them by potential, best examples, general 'mean' quality, how much impact it has, etc.
>>
>>60757994
I was thinking potential, but i guess it depends on whatever the individual values most.
>>
>>60757964
>food over Dance

so in a ranking of art forms, you put something that isn't an art form over a rich form of artistic expression that has been utilized and adapted by almost every culture for thousands of years?
>>
>>60758020
exactly
>>
1. Meet the Residents
2. Music
3. Films
4. I don't know maybe literature also fashion maybe I don't really care
>>
>>60757469
I dislike fashion because as an art form, it is too restricted imo. Fashion shows are very formulaic and centered around entertainment, and I feel like it loses a lot as an art form because it is centered around something that originally was made to be used rather than to be perceived. Same goes for architecture. Meanwhile, food can't be art if you ask me. Otherwise, everything here is fine. It's kinda useless to rank art forms to me, I guess it comes down to personal preference but I honestly can't say which art form I like most. There's also the problem of some art forms (video games, electronic art, and photography, for example) being relatively underdeveloped, thus not allowing me to judge them properly.
>>
friendly reminder that Fashion and food are not forms of art no matter how much you try to convince yourselves they are
>>
>>60757844
Well Sarahang was a rec from my dad and he doesn't rec me stuff too often. He should though. I made it clear to him the last time I saw him but he just started laughing and told me I'm still too young to understand certain things. I guess I could go into hindustani classical explorations but I am already dedicating my attention to Karmien's western classical lectures.

Regarding Jandek, a lot of his music is much easier for me to understand and relate to. He strikes a certain chord within me that very few people, let alone musicians are able to reach. I think it might be the combination of the blues core and the surreal imagery.
>>
>>60758070
>Same goes for architecture.
I'm way too biased towards architecture, but 'functional' work can be seen as not a form of art.
Serra rant about architecture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5VW66LOyVM
>>
>>60758070
Yeah, I agree with you about Video games and electronic art being relatively underdeveloped in comparison to literature and visual arts.

My question is, were there other undeveloped art forms in like, medieval times that were big for awhile but just died off? Are vidya and photography gonna last through history or is there gonna be something else that comes along in a hundred years that we thing is gonna be the next big artistic revolution?
>>
>>60758070
food cannot be an art form because it is not an expression of emotion, nor does it represent any greater concept or idea

and I'd argue if it did, that could still be lumped under Visual Art, the medium would just be food

food itself just serves a utilitarian purpose

And Video Games, while art, are extremely constrained by the fact that they must still adhere to standards of entertainment.
>>
>>60758179
>And Video Games, while art, are extremely constrained by the fact that they must still adhere to standards of entertainment.

The same could be said for film, couldn't it? There are abstract video games that don't adhere to regular rules of entertainment, although people usually dismiss them as overly pretentious.
>>
>>60758158
I think photography will always have a place, maybe after new developments it will become more experimental. People predicted photography would replace painting, but that didn't happen.
There will probably always be people who will use photography, even if something new would make it redundant.
>>
>>60758225
Wow you just hate film you fucking philistine
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 113

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.