[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel pretty enthusiastic about music again now that Bowie has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: bowiecats.jpg (24 KB, 200x320) Image search: [Google]
bowiecats.jpg
24 KB, 200x320
I feel pretty enthusiastic about music again now that Bowie has rebooted it. How about you? :3c
>>
Classic Rock Magazine has a Blackstar review out. Can't read it online without signing up though.
>>
>>60700910
you can sign if through facebook if you have that, they dont make you subscribe to the magazine or anything

expect the stingy little 7/10 though
>>
I'm feeling good man
>>
honestly the title track/video were mindblowing, but i hated sue and tis a pity when they came out last year. i heard he reworked them for the album though, so im hoping that the new versions are pretty drastically changed
>>
>>60701239
Tis A Pity is so good as is.
>>
>>60700644
>I feel pretty enthusiastic about commerce again now that Bowie has rebooted it. How about you? :3c
ftfy
>>
David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena, however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity. Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading). Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futulity to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music. Each element of his art is the emblem of a true artistic movement however, the ensemble of those emblems constitutes no more than a puzzle, no matter how intriguing, of symbols, a roll of incoherent images projected against the wall at twice the speed, a dictionary of terms rather than a poem, and, in the best of hypotheses, a documentary of the cultural fads of his era. Reading the chronicles of his times, it is clear that what caused sensation was the show, not the music. The show that Bowie set up was undoubtedly in sync with the avantgarde, as it fused theater, mime, cinema, visual art, literature and music. However, Bowie merely recycled what had been going on for years in the British underground, in particular what had been popularized by the psychedelic bands of 1967. And he turned it into a commodity: whichever way you look at his oeuvre, this is the real merit of it.
>>
>>60701389

Scruffy pls.
>>
The best thing he's done since Ashes to Ashes.
>>
>>60701239
Sue is perfect, you crazy? This is the best Bowie has done in years.

Jazzy Bowie is best Bowie.
Like right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3PHnLR_LWk
>>
File: blackstarmane.jpg (66 KB, 565x554) Image search: [Google]
blackstarmane.jpg
66 KB, 565x554
How do you think that vocal effect was produced? I thought it was some harmonizer effect at first but after a lot of careful listening it sounds like actual harmony with some masterful twiddling. Really detailed and subtle production.
>>
>>60702482
i think they probably used something digital of some kind to modify his voice somehow
>>
>>60702482
probably just doubletracked vocals with opposite hardpans tb h
>>
The squishy bass in the electro change kind of sounds like some modulation trick with some kick drum mic. Also that switch from snare accent to kick accent is pretty sweet. In fact that drumming production is pretty amazing in every respect, the hats man could they be mixed any better? Visconti is the best mixer on Earth.
>>
>>60702530

Visconti said that his standard for bowie was to use ADT. But this is clearly more than that in the opening, there's some timbre difference in the harmony which makes me think it's a backup vocalist. Also it seems every syllable has it's own reverb and delay fine tuned.
>>
>>60702482
Ding dang they just popped a second, duplicate vox track up an octave in Pro Tools and buried it in the mix and reverbs most likely.
>>
>>60701349
It's one of my favorite tracks he's released this decade. I hope the new version is as intense.
>>
>>60702709

Maybe after a casual listen, but I've really listened carefully and it doesn't sound like that to me.
>>
>>60702901
I have listened attentively, not casually. I know what's happening.
It's an octave up parallel double tracking. I use that type of octave play all the time making music.

You're overthinking it without knowing how it's done and mixed.
>>
>>60703081

Fuck off cunt.
>>
>>60703129
You asked and you got your answer. You're welcome, twat.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>60703156
guys stop arguing lets be friends
>>
For such an interesting song it's pretty light on the electronic instruments. Probably why it sounds interesting.
>>
>>60703502

Is that a Labyrinth reunion?
>>
>>60700644
The Blackstar hypetrain is gonna go nowhere. It'll be on par with everything he's done since his 90s comeback.
>>
File: young ones implying ur a faget.gif (963 KB, 250x189) Image search: [Google]
young ones implying ur a faget.gif
963 KB, 250x189
>>60704874

Says you.
>>
>>60704874
The new direction he's going in is already more interesting than his last 4 albums
>>
File: 1448284114030.jpg (55 KB, 682x400) Image search: [Google]
1448284114030.jpg
55 KB, 682x400
>>60702450
This guy
>>
>>60700644
I like the song and I like where he's going, I'm extremely enthusiastic about what's to come from him. But I absolutely hate faggots like you talking about it. It's like you don't realize you're no different to the "le im 13 and like queen" cancer you see all over youtube, Black star is in no way changing music and this isn't even close to as mind blowing as you act like it is.

Just listen to it if you enjoy it, but for fuck sake stop opening your autistic mouth on the subject.
>>
>>60707776

Could you be any more of a tryhard hipster faggot?
>>
David Bowie is a literal godlike genius who invented music and made nothing but flawless albums and if you don't like him then you don't really like anything.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.