[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: albums that /mu/ loves that you don't "get"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: 1374975810_hi-res.png (778 KB, 1000x995) Image search: [Google]
1374975810_hi-res.png
778 KB, 1000x995
ITT: albums that /mu/ loves that you don't "get" and people tell you why it's good

this just feels like another emo album with a little bit of lo-fi and post rock elements here and there

the only tracks i like are a quick one before the eternal worm and the future, everything else is so bland. i wouldve liked bloodhail if it wasn't for the vocals
>>
Phenomenal songwriting considering it was made by two guys with almost know music theory knowledge
Loveably bad production results in an unintentionally industrial sound
Muh feels, if you're into that
Very good replay value, the songs never seem to get old and each one is memorable in its own way
>>
>>60691677
i guess it's just the vocals and singing then, never really been into emo so maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree

is there anything unique in terms of ingenuity on this album? was it the first to combine emo and post rock or something like that?
>>
>>60691677
>Phenomenal songwriting
You've got to be kidding...
>>
File: image.jpg (232 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
232 KB, 800x800
Not going to lie but I could never get it
>>
>>60691646
>i have never been depressed in my life

good for you
>>
>>60691646
>>60691723
Maybe try these. They're vocal, but maybe give them a shot anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xbnu9mcxm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLc119jk_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9OSC2zoWdk

The first two form a suite by the way. Anyway, the vocals are so buried on most HaNL tracks. Can't imagine them really getting to somebody. But alright.

>>60691876
We're not here to critique what other people find appealing about these albums, just to discuss what we find appealing about these albums. That said, the songwriting's mostly decent with some above average moments in my opinion. I wouldn't consider it anything phenomenal. But that's just me.

>>60691891
Atmosphere, man. Those popping and crackling of the vinyl gives it a warm, vintage feeling. It's pretty comfy and also kind of eerie. It's some of the more imaginative ambient music I've heard this side of the millennium. Do you generally like ambient music? How about plunderphonics if you're familiar?
>>
>>60691677
>Phenomenal songwriting
>Loveably bad production
>Very good replay value
pfft hahahahahaha, no, no, and no.
Go to bed Dan.
>>
>>60691964
>i have never been depressed in my life
Neither have you or Dan if this is what you can relate to.
There is much better depressive music out there anyway. This album is like a parody of being depressed except instead of being comedic it desperately wants to be taken seriously.
>>
>>60691964
Seriously though, OP, you don't have to be depressed to enjoy this. Or any music for that matter. However depressive the music itself. Though I suppose being able to relate may help.

>>60692024
Generally not a fan of low fidelity, DIY kind of stuff? The poor recording/production is a product of that. And my experience with its replay value differs from yours obviously. If nothing else, Bloodhail is a tuneful cut from the album that bears repeating at least a few times.

>>60692105
Telling another person how they feel is pretty shitty, mate. Especially because Dan was legitimately pretty fucked up during the writing and recording of Deathconsciousness. I think you need to give people a little more credit. They're more genuine than you think. And who's to say that one's depression can't mock them? Take on a comedic light? In a bitter, ironic and twisted kind of way. Have you ever read the Divine Comedy? If not, I'd strongly recommend it. Whatever. In short, everybody experiences depression differently. And Deathcon was the product of Dan's depression. Disqualifying that is just a shitty thing to do. You don't know the guy.
>>
>>60691964
>i have never been a teenager sad because a girl i like won't like me back
ftfy

that album is the kind of depression that tumbrinas go through
>>
File: jukebox.jpg (82 KB, 920x921) Image search: [Google]
jukebox.jpg
82 KB, 920x921
That's because you aren't in a faggy emo wannabe depressant phase like most of /mu/. HANL is awful at everything musical, their only redeeming value is that they appeal to being a whiny loser.

/mu/ values self-pity over anything else. That's why they like unironically like dadrock garbage like pic related.
>>
>>60692105
>Neither have you or Dan if this is what you can relate to.
>There is much better depressive music out there anyway. This album is like a parody of being depressed except instead of being comedic it desperately wants to be taken seriously.

This this this.

Dan's attempt at writing his way out of depression is embarrassing.
>>
Well this thread's going very well.
>>
Honestly, just avoid all these albums:

>Hospice
>Giles Corey
>Deathconscioussness
>The Glow Pt. 2
>Closer
>Unknown Pleasures
>American Football

If you like music for music, not for wangsty wallowing in self-pity. That's all those albums are good for.
>>
>>60692024
>>60692105
>>60692285
>>60692366
>>60692402
>>60692521
All of these posts are mine, by the way.
>>
File: you.png (5 KB, 717x186) Image search: [Google]
you.png
5 KB, 717x186
>>60692600
no
>>
>>60692600
Checking my own dubs, by the way.

>>60692673
Liar, they're all my posts. Don't take credit for bait that isn't yours you fucking faggot cocksucking faggot tumblr reddit faggot fedora bitch. Memes.
>>
>>60692600
>>60692673
>>60692706
No, they're my posts.
>>
>>60692734
No, mine.
>>
good thread you guys
>>
>>60691646
Are you the guy from the other thread?

I personally enjoy it, mostly, because of its atmosphere. I have music that makes me feel empty, and some that makes me feel lonely, but not both. It is very interesting as well. While the lyricism isn't the best, you can definitely feel the tone from the vocals and the music itself; they convey to the audience well because nothing is really out of place in that album and it all flows very well from one section to another. The instrumentation works very well, and most specifically with the vocals, which sound like instruments as well and not the main focus. That is why I like it.
I wouldn't call it "Emo" because, while it has that wallowing self-pity kind of meaning, it doesn't sound like typical emo music.
Of course, many people also get hooked over it just because the ending is pretty amazing. After my hype for it died down I would give it an 8/10, and I would think anything less than a 6/10 is a bit unreasonable.
>>
>>60692772
Shut up shitlord, you're just buttmad that you can't roll sick dubs like these. Fucking check 'em.
>>
>>60692521
I have a feeling that you could throw Lift Yr Skinny Fists in there too; its the same indulgent self-pity, but the apocalyptic themes make fans think that their sadness is more legitimate.
It's for people who take their emotions far too seriously.
>>
>>60692822

You mean F# A# Infinity? LYSF is easily their least depressing album.
>>
>>60692799
Check'd. This is now a dubs thread.

>>60692822
Wasted dubs.
>>
>>60692845
You're right, but I think LYSF is the one that hipster kiddies cling to because of the cute album cover,
>>
>>60692796
This guy gets it for the most part.
>>
>>60691646
there really isnt that kind of album for me but a lot of albums that mu recommends me dont do anything for me but i can really see why people like it and i get them, i just dont like them cause i dont think they are that good
>>
>>60692024
>>60692105
>>60692285
>>60692366
>>60692402
>>60692521
All of these posts are mine, by the way.
>>
>>60691876
How dont people see the genius behind those lyrics, Smh Tbh Senpai
>>
>>60693503
Reasonable.

>>60693529
No, mine.

>>60693552
They're not genius, m8. Sorry.
>>
>>60691891
i dont really think that there is anything to get it is more i am in a state of my life when i understand it or i just dont
>>
>>60693600
Good double.
>>
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrollin! CHECK EM
>>
>>60693646
>Those digits.
Yikes.
>>
>>60692521
THIS.
>>
>>60693711
Wasted digits.
>>
What a trainwreck of a thread.

To try and get back on topic, I don't understand the love this gets, nor do I understand the intense undying burning hatred some people have for it.
>>
>>60693818
Neither do I senpai. Hope this has been helpful!
>>
>>60693818
>To try and get back on topic
>To try
You must never do this.
>>
File: Trout_Mask_Replica.png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Trout_Mask_Replica.png
159 KB, 300x300
I just don't get it. Explain yourselves, /mu/.
>>
>>60693887
>I'm an invalid. Spoon feed me.
Nah. And you almost rolled trips too. What a kek you must feel like.
>>
File: 001.png (120 KB, 713x695) Image search: [Google]
001.png
120 KB, 713x695
>>60693818
I think the love might stem from it being a pretty solid emo record with vocals/hooks that aren't as whiny as most emo can be. The hate just comes from /mu/ being a cross between wanting to be contrarian and just general trolling.

Also, pic related is mine. It's not that I don't like it, I just see it in every single "muh acoustic feels" thread and it just comes off as a little TOO schmaltzy to me.
>>
>>60692521
Yeah man, just listen to Pop, music is only to pump you up and dance to it, these nerds take music far too seriously and actually listen to it..
>>
>>60693887
if you listen to a lot of free jazz and dissonant tech-death it's a fun, hook-y album with memorable poetry as lyrics with a variety of themes

the people who think it's some abomination of weirdness that consists of random notes are the same poptimist retards who think Radiohead are avant-garde
>>
>>60693934
TDaHARIM is the whiniest emo record I've ever heard.
>>
>>60693643
thnx bby, also have a sad cum bby
>>
>>60694028
Well, then there you go. You answered half of OP's question.
>>
>>60694028
yeah, what the hell, it's probably more accessible than a lot of emo, but you can't say it's not whiny
>>
File: Bork'd.png (220 KB, 355x341) Image search: [Google]
Bork'd.png
220 KB, 355x341
>>60694058
You too bb.
>>
>>60694073
Wasn't even a response to the OP but alright.

>>60694082
Yeah, okay, I guess I could give it that. But by no stretch of the imagination is shit like AmFo, Cap'n Jazz, SDRE and the like inaccessible.
>>
We got some fucking patricians up in this thread.
>>
>>60694172
No, we don't. :^)
>>
>>60693940

No, degenerate, you could listen to music for the way music was meant to be for. Try listening to Classical.
>>
>>60694221
E U P H O R I C
U
P
H
O
R
I
C
>>
>>60693934
No one actually likes this album besides the musician himself and the few people that fell for the viral marketing. It's utter trash
>>
>>60694258
>No one actually likes this album except for the people who actually like this album.

Fix'd.
>>
>>60694217
should've /s
>>
>>60694271
Doesnt look fix'd to me :^)
>>
>>60693917
That's the point of this thread.
>caring about numbers on a Prussian numismatics forum

>>60693965
So I have to listen to genres I don't enjoy to "get" this album? That's unfortunate. For whatever it's worth, I like the lyrics.
>>
>>60694311
Those dubs sure do though tbqh senpai. :^)

>>60694322
I don't care about numbers tho senpai, but those are some good nice dubs tho desu senpai.
>>
>>60694351
>Those dubs sure do though tbqh senpai. :^)
At least we can agree on something :^)
>>
No one gives a shit lad. You'll look back on this once you've grown up and be embarrassed for yourself. Personally I feel sorry for you. At least you've made this mistake anonymously online so it won't have any consequences for you. I just hope realise how dumb this is some day and take it back.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.