[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the best method to store music? external hard drives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
what is the best method to store music? external hard drives? what do you guys use?
>>
>>60688376
iTunes Match t b h

Especially once they raise the song limit to 100k songs
>>
>>60688376
I use an Ikea Expedit but they dont make them any more. I think the new version is called a Kallax
>>
>>60688376
Don't use seagate, get toshiba or wd instead.
>>
>>60688376
a bunch of burned CDs in jewel cases categorized by genre
>>
>>60688376
I just use spotify.
>>
I use a WD Elements 500 GB hard drive and it's pretty good 8/10 would buy again if breaks (I hope not I have all my music there)
>>
Buy a USB/SATA enclosure and an SSD drive
>>
>>60688449
faggot detected
>>
>>60688490
could you link something in this category, i heard this is the most reliable method
>>
>>60688503
why ? what's wrong with spotify, you inbred ?
>>
you dont. in 1st world you just download it in seconds
>>
HDD and all my music is uploaded to google play for convenience
>>
>>60688376
i have wd 2tb hardrive works good was cheap
>>
I've been using a WD Passport 500gig since 2009, no problems at all. Gonna invest in something newer because it's nearly full and will lay this one to rest as a backup.
>>
>>60688549
Also most expensive. Just make sure you run regular scans on your hdd so you can replace it before it fails. Save yourself a few hundred and get more storage.

I got my WD mypassport 2TB for like 80 bucks after shopping around. 2TB SSDs run around 600-800. And there's still potential for failure in SSDs.
>>
>>60689393
so you rec doing external hard drives still?
>>
>>60689641
Me personally, yes. The main advantage of SSDs in the current market is faster startup times, so I'd never recommend SSD for media storage. Your SSD just needs to be big enough for your OS and important programs and program files. External HDDs are the way to go for cheap and reliable media storage.
>>
I keep it on my laptop with 2 external back ups updated on the first of every month.
>>
>>60689811
could you recommend me a reliable as fuck external hdd, everything ive looked at has people talking about failures and its scaring me
>>
>>60688376
i had to get an external hard drive once i hit the limit for my computer space

i got a 1tb one and it's good
>>
>>60688376
Shelves
>>
>>60688442
whats wrong with Seagate?
I got a 1tb Seagate from Costco for like 60$.
>>
>>60689969
Basically just avoid Seagate. They have a pretty high failure rate according to Backblaze's data:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

I'd go with a WD or Samsung drive, maybe Hitachi, cause I'm pretty sure both have good warranties on them and are cheap. WD and Hitachi have pretty low failure rates according to Backblaze.

As for specific sizes, that's up to your budget.
>>
>>60689969
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391323601397?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

slammin' ass deal
>>
>>60690264
This.
>>
>>60689393
Also have a 2tb wd. Fucking love it
>>
>>60690142
Quality control, their items break easier than their competitors.
>>
can you play the music off the hard drive once you back it up? like, to free space?
>>
>>60690926
yes. it acts just like a regular drive
>>
>>60688449

this, I know it's pleb but it's so much more convenient than downloading hundreds of gigs worth of songs when you can just stream them anywhere
>>
>>60688376
buy CDs
>>
>>60689098
good luck with instantly downloading 30gb of obscure albums, pleb. especially when they're only seeded like 10% of the time so it takes weeks to get a single album
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.