[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good price/quality record player? I'm thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
What's a good price/quality record player? I'm thinking of buying one either today or Monday and I've never owned one so I don't really know much about them.
>>
>>60642455
If you want a new player, get a Audio Technica LP120 w/ speakers and preamp, and don't settle for much less.

If you don't care about it being new, you can get great deals of used shit online, just make sure it has a replaceable needle and cartridge and has a counter weight.

And don't settle for some trendy shit like a Crosley or your records will sound like ass and the plastic needle will literally destroy your records.
>>
Audio Technica LP120 is the best all-around turntable that won't fuck up your records in terms of bang for your buck. I wouldn't recommend getting anything less.
>>
You can pick up a Numark for half the price of an Audio Technica and literally not be able to tell any difference, don't fall for a $250 meme if you don't have that kind of cash to spend.

Just whatever you do, don't get a fucking Crosley or one of those Target/Walmart tier "all in one" turntables. Unless you like listening to your records once and never again.
>>
>>60642540
>>60642557
Any recs for speakers/pre-amp?
>>
>>60642605
comes with preamp

though some people recommend removing the default one for another , but if you're new to vinyl just stick with the one it comes with
>>
File: url.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
Sean Paul here
If you want a turntable (actual name that doesn't get elitits pantes in a bundle like "record player" does), keep in mind that you'll also need an amp with a phono stage if you want it to work. the sound coming from the turntable is very weak so you'll need to amplify it. Hence the amp, bro.
A good turntable for starters is the Rega RP1. It's affordable, strudy enough, has wht a good turntable needs to have (adjustable counterweight to make sure the needle ain't gonna dig into the grooves; selectable speed)
Pro-Ject also hs some good models that aren't too expensive. Though some have an adjustable belt instead of a speed selector, and it's ben known to but some homies here.
The AT LP 120 is a good choice too, especially if you want to try some md DJ tricks. The turntables before are oriented towards listening, but that one here is polyvalent. The LP 60 is bad though.
Another good bet is to go roam the thrift stores and find some cool second hand stuff for a reasonable price. Always try it before you buy it though.
>>
>>60642622
Thanks dude
>>
>>60642605
Speakers can be found at Goodwill or other thrift stores, but you have to know what you're looking for. If you're impatient/lazy and don't want to delve into reputable audio brands and the different models, I would go with the Fluance SX6 or XL7S if you can afford it. Add a subwoofer if you want, not recommended if you're in an apartment.
>>
>>60642605
Whole different discussion. Where are you going to be listening to records? How big? Budget?

Honestly, for this type of thing I would actually going on Reddit or something, places like that usually have good "essentials" charts, and will give much better advice than /mu/.

And don't listen to any memes about passive vs active (speakers powered by pre-amp vs ones plugged into the wall). The ATLP120 comes with a preamp built in, so don't even worry about it.
>>
>>60642605
Speakers widely depends how on the size of the room where youll be playing them. Unless youre going to be listening up-close or if its a small room, then desktop monitors are what you need. Preamp is dependent on the sound youre looking for. Tube amps are more expensive but can provide a more colorful sound. At the end of the day everything depends on your budget and what kind of sound youre looking for. If you just want to collect vinyl, then just google basic vinyl set ups
>>
Yeah I heard Crosleys were ass, so I'll be avoiding those.
The audio technica looks nice, and has the all the features I want like being able to convert my records to files, but it's kinda ugly? I'd be willing to settle on it if it's the absolute best, but something more in the 120-150 price range was what I was aiming for. Also speakers aren't an issue since I have a nice set already.
>>
>>60642721
>looks nice
>kinda ugly
Pick one? Personally, I think it looks fine; yes it emphasizes function over form, but should it not? If you want a decent turntable that's more attractive and cheaper, you could look at the UTurn Orbit, I guess. But there's no counterweight or cue lever on the base model, so you get what you pay for.
>>
>>60642786
Yeah bad wording. I mean that the ATLP is nice for its features and quality, but it's not very stylish. The UTurn is a good price and its design looks cool, might consider that one.

Thanks for the advice so far, glad I asked before blindly buying whatever was on sale.
>>
>>60642639
this, I own the SX6's with a dayton sub 1000, shit is god tier
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.