[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Genres you wanted to love in theory, but hate in practice.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 1448507717492.jpg (70 KB, 526x686) Image search: [Google]
1448507717492.jpg
70 KB, 526x686
ITT: Genres you wanted to love in theory, but hate in practice.

Shoegaze for me, it's an incredibly limited genre. Early bands do have more variability, but later and recent bands are either taking very influences from MBV/JAMV or Cocteau Twins. That gets boring as fuck. Not a single Shoegaze release release this year has been interesting.
>>
>>60631910
If more bands actually do what the early shoegaze bands did then modern shoegaze would be a hellof a lot better
>>
Yeah shoegaze sucks. Even the important shoegaze.
Spacemen 3 alone is more worth listening to than all of shoegaze.
>>
I still consider shoegaze/noise pop one of my favourite genres because spacemen 3 and JAMC are my favourite bands but because it's so easy to sound shoegaze there's a huge amount of shit.

A release I liked this year was Spectres, you tried them?
>>
>>60631938
>muh reverb

fuck modern shoegaze, why couldn't you be good ffs. Reid Brothers please save us in 2016.
>>
>>60631977
It takes more than reverb and even My Bloody Valentine knew that
>>
>>60631910
Lmao that's because you don't liten to much shoegaze. The genre has HUGE diversity, in fact even more than many genres. Actually do some research before writting off a entire genre.

>>60631938
Some early shoegaze bands were also very derivative bro

>>60631940
Lmao Spacemen 3 were a bit "muh reverb, muh tremolo, muh drugs lmao". Dreamweapon was great though.
>>
>>60632402
But it's like, why do we need shoegaze when there's Spacemen 3?
Perfect Prescription, Playing With Fire, and Recurring are also great. Even Spiritualized is at least good, most of the time.
Thighpaulsandra is great.
>>
>>60632501
Psychocandy is the only other essential shoegaze imo.
>>
>>60632402
Name these amazing modern bands then.
>>
Let me reverse this, I'm not supposed to like rap because it's degenerate and made by niggers and it's made for degenerate people, but I like rap, I'm in the constant struggle of to listen or not to listen to rap
>>
>>60633423
>inb4 Sweet Trip
>>
>>60633476
>and the list goes on and on
>>
early shoegaze bands were influenced by a wide array of different genres (60s pop, psychedelic, grunge, etc.) which made them sound more unique

today's bands are solely influenced by the 80s shoegaze bands so naturally they just sound like hack bar-band tier ripoffs
>>
>>60631962
Came here to rec this
>>
>>60631940
Add Ride to your list and I'll agree with you.
>>
>>60633423
A.R. Kane
The Angelic Proccess
Weed
loveliescrushing
Simon Wickham-Smith & Richard Youngs
Aquarelle
Kairon; IRSE!
The Veldt
Medicine
Swirlies
The Ecstasy of saint Theresa
A Place to Bury Strangers
Spectres
SPC ECO

>>60632501
Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized are indeed great (although I really only like Dreamweapon and Playing With Fire, their more garage-y stuff sounds boring) but I don't feel like they do what shoegaze does. Still a great band. What's Thighpaulsandra?
>>
>>60634510
>A.R. Kane
>Ecstasy of Saint Theresa
>Medicine
>Swirlies
>modern
>>
>>60634575
misread that part desu

Still Medicine still release pretty good stuff, including an album this year iirc

Anyway there's Unison, No Joy, Pinkshinyultrablast, Manom Meurt, plenty of good modern shit
>>
Shoegaze is for sure a limited genre but that doesn't exactly make me hate it
>>
>>60634660
>Unison, No Joy, Pinkshinyultrablast, Manom Meurt

Already listened to all of them and none of them are doing anything interesting or new. No Joy and Pinkshiny being the worst.

Specters and Kairon are interesting will give you that, but the genre is still limited.
>>
File: 1427594665869.png (2 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1427594665869.png
2 MB, 2000x2000
>>
>>60631910
Wanted to love metal, but hate it in practise. I mean I knew going into it that there would be plenty of metal I didn't like, but I can't find any I do like, even though I like similar genres. I think metal bands target a metal sound too aggressively. Tends to be a restrictive genre in that way.
>>
>>60637989
I'm the same, though there's some artists that use Metal elements that I do like, like Maudlin of the Well and John Zorn
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.