[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What criticisms can you make against this album? If you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 251x247) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 251x247
What criticisms can you make against this album?

If you've never heard it, you can listen to the entire album here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJaGqRnGnEo
>>
>>60575437
If a white person had written and recorded the song Giant Steps you would all call it soulless wank
>>
>>60575437
Ascension is better
>>
>>60576519
they're two completely different albums lol not even comparable

giant steps is rooted hugely in study of harmonics, hence "coltrane changes", which stem from the title track. Ascension was recorded at a point in Coltrane's life where he was looking for spiritual release through free jazz, lack of form ect.

buzz opinion if i ever saw one
>>
>>60575437
There's no Kanye feature
>>
>>60575437
None

>>60576005
I wouldn't

>>60576519
No + irrelevant to each other

>>60578517
This

>>60578550
Nice meme
>>
So nds the same to me as static on an AM radio, random noise.
>>
>>60579132
Did you even listen to Naima?
>>
>>60579621
Thank you!
>>
None of the tracks are Any Color You Like
>>
>babbys first jazzman

why not ask what is good about the album, that's a shorter list
>>
it's just so hackneyed
>>
>>60581554
And yet the only "criticism" you can make has nothing to do with the album or the music
>>
>>60578517
>ect

>>60581504
>

>>60575437
No matter what I say you'll probably come back with "Coltrane changes! Flawless playing! Tight band!" and stuff like that, which is mostly true but still doesn't stop it from being pretty boring
>>
>>60575437
Also like most jazz albums of its time the saxophone is mixed way too high and the rhythm section is way too quiet
>>
>>60582223
said the jazzbabby
>>
>>60576519
Ascensions is probably my favourite jazz record
which is odd because I'm a casual and not really into "avant garde"
>>
>>60575437
I find it decent, not remarkable.
>>
>>60575437
for music with so few chord changes it's actually rather entertaining. still though, i prefer music with chord changes.
>>
>>60583455
Drone fan here

what's wrong?
>>
>>60583494
>what's wrong?

i just told you.
>>
>>60579684
Fuck you. Don't ever post again.

>judges an album
>doesn't fucking listen to it all the way
Kill yourself.
>>
>>60575437
It brings hard bop to a creative dead end. Giant Steps and Countdown sacrificed feeling for music theory. Any "influence" drawn from it by later artists was indirectly; no one else wrote changes like that into the future

Besides that there are no real complaints to be made, obviously an immaculately played album by all 4 musicians
>>
>>60582265
what, you want me to make a list of the individual components of free jazz? it's pretty self explanatory from the name of the genre senpai
>>
File: giantstepsconcert.jpg (220 KB, 1670x1374) Image search: [Google]
giantstepsconcert.jpg
220 KB, 1670x1374
>>60583455
are you fucking high?

this album is noted for it's large use of changes/harmonic experimentation..
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.