[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Beatles famous?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6
File: 6srdt7fyg.png (141 KB, 377x467) Image search: [Google]
6srdt7fyg.png
141 KB, 377x467
They're an utter bore
>>
>he finds the Beatles inaccessible
I pity you.
>>
THE
>>
>>60566027
Non-musician's opinion thread?
>>
FACT
>>
>>60566037
I think he's saying The Beatles are far too accessible, dumbface.
>>
File: untitled4.png (4 KB, 333x53) Image search: [Google]
untitled4.png
4 KB, 333x53
>>60566040
>>60566049
>>
File: 1428019059654.png (122 KB, 800x778) Image search: [Google]
1428019059654.png
122 KB, 800x778
They make some nice little pop tunes for the normiefags.
>>
ze beatles are famous because they took edgy rock music sounds and showed how to make them about petty love

and normies can't get enough of the shit which makes them feel like a badass for doing shit they already do without thought. "wow i'm so hardcore for holding hands and kissing a girl"
vomit inducing
>>
>>60566057
>calls me dumbface when I don't have a face

You sure are dumb.
>>
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>60566113
>ze beatles are famous because they took edgy rock music sounds and showed how to make them about petty love
It was always about petty love.
>>
File: Homo_erectus_new.jpg (183 KB, 544x680) Image search: [Google]
Homo_erectus_new.jpg
183 KB, 544x680
>>60566057
>being so pretentious that you think music is only good if most people don't enjoy it

This concert helped change the direction of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4tItQYu1Hs
>>
>>60566095
>>60566113
>Not being able to listen to patrician EAI shit and appreciate The Beatles' songwriting at the same time

I pity you
>>
The Beatles took a black genre, mangled it with saccharine, utterly empty pop lyrics, and made it even whiter. They were literally worse than Elvis.
>>
>>60566062
you seem to be more active lately, why is that?
>>
File: epic reddit dog.jpg (32 KB, 537x529) Image search: [Google]
epic reddit dog.jpg
32 KB, 537x529
>>60566141
>patrician EAI

I see you've been an avant teen for almost a year.
>>
>>60566170
Yeah music evolves by people building on it. If you can't see how influential the beatles have been to Western music than you have no place acting like you know about music.
>>
I managed to make it to nearly 23 years of existence without ever really hearing a Beatles song in it's entirety. I knew bits and pieces of Hey Jude but that was it. But then I met someone and fell in love and guess what, they love The Beatles.

So after realising I don't have any real understanding of the concepts of shame and pride, I listened to them. Not every album in chronological order, but a wide variety of tracks from before Rubber Soul (a distinct point of intellectual progress musically speaking) and after. And this was my conclusion. They actually fucking did everything. Every single god damn fucking Beatles song has something about it that reminded me of another song, whether it was the music itself or the production or phrases or anything. They had done it. It was like that South Park episode. A song would come on, so I would look it up and absorb as much information as I could. But the result was always the same.

That's why they're famous. They figured out how to map the human psyche to create post-auditory vibrations that we resonate with at a higher level just naturally without influence from external forces, and then everyone just followed and that's why popular music is in the state that it's in because they turned The Mona Lisa into Paint By Numbers. One comes from the heart, the other from the mind, and the mind see's bullshit a mile away. Problem is we're outnumbered by those with minds that are either not working properly or have yet to figure it out.
>>
>>60566048
Underappreciated post.
>>
>>60566373
I also never listened to the beatles until my 20s.

When I finally did I was bored and disappointed. Then I went back to listening to Stravinsky and Bach.
>>
>>60566373
I should note that I still don't really care for them as I find their derivatives to be of far greater worth, but Come Together is a v good song.
>>
>>60566027
>utter bore
You solved your own problem le pretensious man
>>
>>60566426
>Come together is his favorite beatles song
jesus christ why even comment in this thread
>>
>>60566509
>not thinking come together is worth anybody favorite
leave
>>
>>60566509
Your amount of elitism is disgusting. Music taste is seriously one of the most subjective things that exists. Every one has a different taste in music.
>>
>>60566550
if ur a /mu/tant your favorite beatles song can't be any of the following: Come Together, Yellow Submarine, Hey Jude, A Day in the Life, I want to Hold Your Hand, Good Day Sunshine, Blackbird, As My Guitar Gently Weeps, or really anything before 1965 (some I already mentioned). They simply are too popular to be your favorite. Should have picked I'm only Sleeping, Taxman, or Daytripper.
>>
>>60566680

Mine is Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.
>>
>>60566680
Do you really let the popularity of a song affect your enjoyment of it? How old are you that you haven't grown out of this phase yet?
>>
>>60566680
>Day Tripper
if your favorite Beatles song is anything that was included on 1 you have no right to criticize anyone
>>
one of few band who just wanted to make people content with themselves
>>
i don't have a favorite Beatles song (i love them all) but if i had to pick, it might be i am the walrus or love you to
>>
>>60566729
>>60566738
>>60566744
>>60566550
>>60566552
>all of these plebs trying to justify their ignorance
hahahahaaaa, go listen to Help! you queers hahahahaha
>>
>>60566833
fuck you, help is great, also, see theses >>60566552
>>60566738
>>
>>60566833
I don't even like the Beatles, I'm just saying that telling people they're wrong or stupid for liking popular songs is childish and is something that most people grow out of.
>>
>>60566027
Because they are the best band of all times.
>>
>>60566509
I don't have a favourite Beatles song because I don't listen to them. But if she chucks her absolutely disgusting mp3 player on and chooses Come Together over Hollywood Undead or Alesana, I'm not complaining.
>>
>>60566139
I don't believe that, I was just helping them understand OP's (wrong) viewpoint.
>>
>>60566833
but in all seriousness OP is a homo and Yellow Submarine is my favorite Beatles song for sentimental reasons.
>>60566876
>>60566855
also, im sorry u guys take someone who uses the word "pleb" seriously, but yeah elitism is silly
>>
By definition The Beatles are overrated - that shouldn't obstruct the fact that they're hugely influential and talented.
>>
>>60566027
My fatass gf likes them a lot.
>>
>>60566998
no, fuck him for thinking help! is for queers.
>>
>>60567022
>By definition The Beatles are overrated
>subjective
>>
>>60566027
they managed to water down black music into something non-threatening and easily digestible. They were pretty boys with an image edgy enough to appeal to middle class teenagers but safe (ie white) enough not to scare away their parents.
>>
>>60567050
I am the following posts:
>>60566998
>>60566509
>>60566833
>>60566680
no more no less
>>
Even their most watered down early pop shit has that really good songwriting that just sets them apart. I thought it was John Lennon but his solo stuff doesn't even come close to things like A day in the life, or Across thr Universe. I haven't heard any band or artist with a sound as defined as them.
>>
tbqh family you're wrong desu
>>
>>60566095

>normiefags

Just say normalfag, redditor.
>>
>>60567100
No we're talking about The Beatles, not The Rolling Stones.
>>
yeah sure, its was a part of the start of rock, but also the start of boybands 2bh
>>
File: gaye.jpg (32 KB, 427x493) Image search: [Google]
gaye.jpg
32 KB, 427x493
>>60566680
>he doesn't know Happiness is a Warm Gun is their best track
>>
>>60569810
>If they sang love songs, they were a boy band
You're an idiot desu
>>
>>60569949
>caught by the filter
you are the idiot
>>
>>60570221
I admit, I was.

How do avoid it?
>>
>>60569865
finally someone with some sense. It's in the white album but I can't put my finger on whether it's Happiness is a warm gun, Julia or Long Long Long , revolution 9. We know one thing at least; it sure as hell isn't a paul song
>>
>>60566792
same to be honest family
>>
Why does Scaruffi criticize The Beatles for "replacing lusty negro attitudes with white kid smiles" but praises Buddy Holly for "Wearing glasses and a formal high-school outfit, he represented the exact opposite of the juvenile delinquent. His childish, naive optimism contrasted with the nasty, morbid world of the other rockers. His lyrics reached for the primal child in every teenager: they were made of onomatopoetic tongue-twisters and of "baby talk" (syllables, rather than words, silly repetitions, trifling rhymes)."
>>
>>60571813
is that praise for buddy holly? sounds like a matter-of-fact kind of thing.
buddy holly doesn't really have a marketing cult influencing histories of rock music either, so there isn't much mystique that needs tearing down
>>
>>60566833
Help! is a fantastic album.
>>
>>60566426
>I find their derivatives to be of far greater worth

They have so many derivatives It's almost impossible for that to not be true
>>
>>60571901
I guess it's just a matter of fact thing, but he is definitely a fan of Holly
>>
The best track of The Beatles is Blue Jay Way and a close second is Cry Baby Cry.
Prove me wrong, faggots
>>
>>60571901
>buddy holly doesn't really have a marketing cult influencing histories of rock music either, so there isn't much mystique that needs tearing down
Neither do the Beatles.
>>
>>60566027
Beatles combined classical chord arrangements with pop songwriting, They also experimented at the height of there career. Thats why their songs are so easy to sing and why they were acclaimed by critics and the general public, I don't know why more people dont understand this, its pretty simple really
>>
>>60572883
Long Long Long. Next Question. You have to go more contrarian in this case
>>
>>60566048

this
>>
>>60566027
n1c3 b8 m8 d0nT b3 l8 for ur nxt d8 w/ f8,
b0y u g0tta c@rry th@t w8 cuz ur gr8
>>
>>60573331
It's a cute song, but not even George Harrison's best. He was the best Beatle, by the way.
(spoiler)I'm actually being honest(/spoiler)
>>
>>60573598
>only a handful of good songs
>best
>>
>>60573636
If Lennon and McCartney had relaxed the dick-measuring contest they held over songwriting, Harrison would've been able to release tons of great material, as evidenced by his post-Beatles career.
Lennon was a pretentious yet kinda talented poseur, an icon more than a musician. McCartney was a bit more of a hack, just a good pop musician that couldn't live up to what he had done with the Beatles. Harrison was the only actual artist that transcended the whole popstar bullshit and found a philosophy and a way to be in the world expressed through gorgeous music. Ringo is a nice lad, but really only quirky lel i'm so authentic and weird fucks say he is the best.
>>
>>60566027
What made The Beatles great wasn't so much their music, but how they did and what they did with it. Pop music became a part of culture. A boy band became an icon for a time period.
>>
>>60573816
lol
>>
>>60566373
Dumbest fucking post I've read in the past month.
>>
>>60574502
Did you not see that desu senpai bullshit?
>>
>>60566027
just like one direction. they are mainstream boy band. my opinion the beatles are much better than one direction.
>>60566027
if you find them an utter bore then why are you talking about them let alone listening to them?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.