[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/GG/ Guitar General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: satchel.jpg (165 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
satchel.jpg
165 KB, 1024x683
>Post gear
>Post desired gear
>How long have you been playing?
>Fav guitars?
>Fav guitarists?
>Projects?
>Talk about and play music
>General guitar and bass discussion

Beginner information and FAQ:
>http://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/wiki/index

Music Theory:
>http://www.justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
>http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

String Tension Calculator (D'Addario based):
>http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Floyd Rose Setup Video Tutorial:
>http://youtu.be/umY5NBKg5AA?list=PLcm7Ag6Q-OkZAmlY6dAhS2ZL9TUMeRZdI [Embed] [Embed] [Open]

Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

Impulse Response Pack
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods+Cab+1.3.rar
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM+RECTO+V30+L2.wav

Free VST downloads (amps and effects simulators):
>http://www.vst4free.com/

ASIO drivers (they reduce latency):
>http://www.asio4all.com/

--

>Advancing Guitarist Mick Goodrick
http://www.mediafire.com/download/07izim49ao6ij7m
>Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Others
>Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tpr2u4e3bou2lqi
>Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5lvaa121vz29y83
>Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2ckhum02748z2pk

Last thread:
>>60298004
>>
If I wanted to get and use something like BIAS, that new programme doing the rounds, how would I go about plugging my guitar into my PC and getting it to work with BIAS?
>>
>>60336543
An interface. Like the Scarlett 2i2.
>>
>>60336543
>>60336868
yeah, an interface. if it's just for the guitar get the scarlett solo, which is affordable

as a plus you get a better soundcard than your motherboard's
>>
Bump

pls don't die /gg/
>>
Dont know if bass guitar counts... this is cort t74 i think. it was my first and last bass. been playing for 3-4 years with it. no regrets
>>
>>60338356
Of course bass counts, but what's up with that hideous inlay?
>>
it looks way cooler in person (without all the light in the picture). plus the pic was taken from my cellphone
>>
>>60336517
kek, nice pic anon
I always post guitar faces as OPs but had never thought of steel panther
also kudos for including IRs, VSTs and ASIO, and for putting /gg/ in the title unlike certain fags in the past days
>>
>>60339037
forgot to mention that you linked the last thread, kudos on that too
>>
File: image.jpg (838 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
838 KB, 2448x2448
Of the more classic models, (strat, lp, sg, jazz master etc... ) is any guitar known for exceptional intonation ? I'm having a little trouble with my jaguar, I think it's to do with short scale maybe, not huge but I would really love a guitar that really nails it intonation wise thx for any help
>>
so I have this PA amp and was thinking of making a tube preamp, I dig 80s Marshall style distortion (a la AC/DC) and Peavey 5150 distortion a la EVH. I know the Marshall is supposed to use power amp distortion, but I was wondering if I could replicate that sound in a pre. If there's no option, I guess I'll have to make a full amp head.

>>60339066
something with a fixed bridge is usually more precise. Avoid vintage style Teles and Junior LPs (unless you swap the bridge)
>>
Anyone have experience with the AMT preamp pedals? I know they won't sound exactly like the original amps, but a good approximation of Soldano without the price would be nice. (JetCity memeamps need not apply)
>>
Don't play but I want to commend op for using a satchel picture. He's so underrated and forgotten because he's in a parody band but he's super talented.
>>
What's the general opinion on the Squier Jagmaster? One popped up on my local craigslist for about 280$ and I'm curious if it's worth it.
>>
>>60339526
Squier gear like that is pleasantly surprisingly good, as well as the vintage modified series
>>
>>60339573
Yeah i've got a vm jag bass and love it. so i'm just curious about the jagmaster specifically. it looks like it's from the 2010/11 reissue series.
>>
How good are the wraparound bridges with adjustable saddles? As good as a regular tune o matic? What's the best option?
>>
>>60339573
I'm planning to buy vintage modified surf strat, are they well crafted? Cause i've only heard good thing about them, surprisingly
>>
File: HE HATES IT.jpg (139 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
HE HATES IT.jpg
139 KB, 1280x960
How do I learn to play by ear?
Is it just something some people have and others don't? I'm wonder if being unable to just do it naturally means there's no hope.
>>
File: IMG_2404.jpg (1 MB, 1500x2250) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2404.jpg
1 MB, 1500x2250
Faggies, I just finished the demo of my new Chase Bliss Audio Warped Vinyl mkII. I'm the video guy, a friend is doing the playing.

I don't think I've ever been as impressed with a pedal before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oAJucp7fUc

What do you think?
>>
Any tips on buying used? I'm going to buy a second hand guitar from 2005.. what should I check?

Only thing it has is wear due to picking, but rest seems fine.

>>60340108
Practice, I'm sure other anons can guide you better than I can. I'm not really proficient at it.
>>
>>60339066
No need to go guitar shopping, man. Replace your jag bridge with a Mustang bridge and all your intonation problems will be solved! the original JM/jag bridge fucking blows.
>>
>>60340108
Hey, anon, luckily for you - your ear can be trained. Start by learning to recognize intervals, then with simple songs, early Black Sabbath is mostly easy on the slow riffs, if you want to, I found War Pigs a good album to train my ear on.

Now, a bit more in-depth:
Learn all of the intervals, and try singing them.

You don't have to sing the note name or whatever, just try playing for example G and A, that is a major second, and sing it. Sing it until it becomes so familiar you can play any sound on the guitar, and after matching it with your voice easily sing a tone up without hearing what it actually sounds like first.

For example play D, sing D, and sing E, without playing the E note. Just learn to hit those. Do this with every interval. Then you can try to develop strategies of learning by ear. It can take a while, but it's worth your time.

You may even find better excercises, but these worked for me.
>>
>>60339526
it's definitely worth it but I think those are ugly as balls. Especially the red one. My VM Jazzmaster is my favorite guitar atm tho. High end Squiers rule.
>>
I've been taking lessons for about two months now, on an acoustic Squire that my friend gave to me. It's going very well, and I'd like to purchase an electric guitar. My teacher recommended ordering one from Rondo Music. Looks like all knock offs to me, but he said that a $200 guitar from them is easily comparable to a $600+ name brand guitar. Is he full of shit?
>>
>>60340095
I actually own one that i'm wanting to sell. Mine plays well, id compare it to a mim strat
>>
>>60340385
yeah ew Squier does not make good acoustics. Get a red label Yamaha.
>>
>>60340130
Great pedal, too bad it costs an arm and a leg.
>>
File: IMG_20151106_214422.jpg (212 KB, 575x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151106_214422.jpg
212 KB, 575x1024
Looking to upgrade to a new bass rig. I play screamo, hardcore, sludgey noisey shit. Any recs for a good bass head/cab? Looking to keep the total below a rack
>>
>>60336517
I want to start writing songs, and I can make rythym pretty easily, but I want to know how to write lead parts for songs.

What's a good resource to start learning how to write lead parts?
>>
>>60340457
Thanks, now i'm really convinced, also those lipstick pickups, dayum
>>
File: pedalboard.jpg (2 MB, 2372x1500) Image search: [Google]
pedalboard.jpg
2 MB, 2372x1500
Somebody posted my pedalboard yesterday and I mentioned that I had just decided to drill a bunch of extra holes and paint the top white to avoid dust build-up and I was hoping it didn't turn out too ghetto. He asked me to post it when it was finished.

Well, here it is. I also decided to route all the power cables underneath the board to make it cleaner and the space you see in the upper part is to accommodate the new pedals I'm waiting on: the Empress Compressor, OBNE Procession and my amp's footswitch.

I think it turned out alright.
>>
File: schecter studio-5.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
schecter studio-5.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
This is my Schecter Studio-5. Thru neck, which is really nice. It's definitely a professional grade guitar, and probably quite unnecessary for someone of my experience level to buy. I'm not even in a band...but I do love to play so fuck it.

Being left handed and living in Canada quality left handed guitars are nearly impossible to come buy, so I had to order this baby from California. Waited 3 months, my dealer was worried it was getting shipped straight from Asia(made in S Korea)...who knows how long that would have taken.
>>
>>60341470
Pretty nice. Some of the holes could do with a bit of sanding but it doesn't notice much and will even less so when full, and you could mount the power supply underneath.
>>
Gonna buy an american special strat soon. Anything i should know?
>>
>>60341719
I heard they are from America and that they're quite special.
>>
>>60341719
The sky is blue and water is wet.
>>
>>60341470
Looks kawaii desu senpai~

I asked yesterday,
The zip ties don't damage the finish on the pedals?
>>
>>60341821
They do not. They're very flexible.

I have damaged the finish on some by trying to break the zip ties with a knife like a gorilla in the past, though.
>>
>>60339136
You can use a much smaller power transformer and will not need an output transformer to send signal at line level. You'd be looking at 100-250 dollars for the pair depending on your wattage and brand you choose to purchase for a full amp.

For a great sounding preamp, you'll really want to get all the way past the phase inverter. Slamming the PI is pretty much responsible for a lot of electric guitar distortion.
>>
>>60340108
Practice a lot. The styles you become strong in will really unravel themselves as you progress. So taking on another similar song won't be as difficult or you may pin it down just guessing.

Yes some people can play almost anything, anytime, and with no prior rehearsal. Everyone is gifted differently, so take what you've got.
>>
File: 20151113_121256.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20151113_121256.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Just picked up a cathedral and looking for that MBV reverse but cant seem to figure it out. Anyone got any ideas/presets to try out?
>>
What do you guys think about getting a Gibson SG Faded 2016 T Electric Guitar? I listened to it on youtube and loved the tone. But I'm new to this so I don't know. What do you guys think?
>>
>>60342839
>listened to it on youtube
lol
>>
>>60342839
youtube isn't a good basis for comparison, because audio quality is so low.

That said, the 2016 line of Gibsons is better than it has been since like 2000 or whatever, and that guitar in particular doesn't strike me as bad.

Were you looking at the brown or the red?
>>
File: ampeg.jpg (40 KB, 735x735) Image search: [Google]
ampeg.jpg
40 KB, 735x735
Scored this Ampeg GVT15H today, 15/7.5 watts of classic ampeg clean to use as a pedal platform. Sounds really nice with stock tubes.
>>
>>60342919
>the red
goes faster
>>
>>60342933
gs, you have a problem let some anons help you thin the herd.

More jealous of your gemini. Those are sweet machines. Is the ported cab emperor too?
>>
I want to buy a cheap guitar to do stupid shit to. Is there any guitars with necks that aren't a shit that wont kill my wallet (or my soul when I drill holes in it.)
>>
>>60343192
sorta...its a 4 x 10 bass cab by Dictator, they go by Tyrant Tone now. The guy worked at Emperor, don't know if he was one of the principals or what. See the similarity in the names...emperor/dictator/tyrant.
I'm not 100% on the story but i believe the name Emperor was lost due to some legal issues. Some other guy who worked for Emperor started Atlas cabs basically just rebadging the Emperor designs, but I think Dictator/Tyrant are somehow closely related to Emperor. I've got an Atlas 2 x 12 cab too and its actually a more solid cab than the Emperors so ? That Dictator cab is made from solid wood instead of birch plywood so its solid as fuck.
>>
Anyone here have a pedaltrain?
considering getting one, maybe a PT2/PT3/PTPro. Thoughts?
>>
>>60342919

I was looking at the brown
>>
>>60340337
not that guy but thanks for the detailed response, been wondering the same thing.

>>60341476
i've never seen such a thing. why 5 strings? and why does the neck looks so long even though there's still the same number of frets.

>>60343235
craigslist.
>>
>>60343588
>i've never seen such a thing. why 5 strings? and why does the neck looks so long even though there's still the same number of frets.
It's called a bass guitar.
>>
>>60343679
i thought bass had 5. I play classical and flamenco so sorry for offending you with my stupid question.
>>
>>60343775
i meant 4. i thought bass had 4.
>>
>>60343792
some basses have 6 or even 8.
>>
File: narcisoyepes.jpg (60 KB, 608x409) Image search: [Google]
narcisoyepes.jpg
60 KB, 608x409
>>60343775
>>60343792
They're extended range guitar/basses, it's not unusual to see 5 or 6 strings on a bass in metal or prog, or 7/8 string guitars.
Check out Narciso Yepes otherwise, dude's the only one who had an extended range guitar in that tuning i think.
>>
File: DSC_0736.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0736.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
Just bought a used eletro-acoustic to replace my old classic that was falling apart.

It's a Fender CD-60CE, paid 150 for it with a gigbag thrown in though in hindsight it might have been too much.

Guy that was selling since he said the guitar was pristine with no scratches, cracks or otherwise and new strings so it looked good.
Went to meet him, played a bit and everything looked good apart from a couple of small nicks on the head-stock. Payed the man and went home. It was when I got home that I noticed black duct tape around the lower back edge of the guitar. Underneath it is scraped down to the wood like it was dropped and then dragged across gravel and made a 4 inch gash on the corner. Pristine my ass. Felt robbed honestly but still, sounds really good, even through my bass amp (mind that feedback).

Might have it repaired eventually I guess...
>>
>>60344252
how the fuck would you have not noticed that while playing?
>>
>>60344282

It was a bit on the lower-ish edge. Anyway, the tape was following the guitar's normal black edge and I didn't notice by looking at it. Yes, I am a moron.
>>
File: demgits.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
demgits.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Been playing guitar since 2010, from 2013 on very seriously. Been playing music since I was 7 (I'm 24) started on the clarinet because fuck you that's why. Got into busking back in 2013 and made fucking bank with my brother. During the summer we were bring home 100+ bucks EACH.

>Desired gear
an analog delay, an eq, and maybe a chorus or phaser

>Post gear
80's 52' AVRI Fender telecaster. Neck pickup replaced with a Curtis Novak wide range style humbucker, bridge pick up is a bareknuckles flat 52' and the lacquer on the back of the neck has been sanded down and refinished with tung oil.

My other baby is a 2016 Gibson SG standard. Stock, got it this morning. HOLY FUCK I LOVE THIS FUCKING GUITAR I DON'T EVEN DICK RIDE GIBSON HOLY SHIT. Played that fucker from 9 am to 7 pm.

My amp is an 80's Vox AC15 with a TS 808 clone for overdrive

I have owned way too many fucking guitars but after all the trial and error I finally have my personal favorite tone arsenal.

>pic related
>>
>>60342839
Save up for a standard. It's absolutely great. Great dirty tones, great cleans, it does it all.

>>60344613
posting
>>
Best chord melody books? I mainly want some good fingerings for some jazz standards with open space to do runs/impro.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GYaO4jNcKU
>>
>>60341476
>yfw you realize that playing an instrument has nothing to do with dominant hands and plenty of lefties play regular instruments
>>
>>60345150
I'm left handed and I play righty. I like having my dominant as my fretting hand.
>>
>>
So I have a looper pedal and i want to try out some chord progressions. The only one I really know is I IV V. I've just now learned how to construct chords off of every interval in a given key but i don't really know what to do with it. Besides I IV V that is. Anyone help me out
>>
>>60342399
Distortion after reverb
>>
What's the correct pedal order when it comes to fuzz, od, and distortion?

I have a rat 2, an ocd, and a big muff. what order should I put them in?
>>
>>60346944
Since you've got your I-IV-V down (by far the most common blues progression), I would suggest working on a ii-V-I (which is by far the most frequently-used jazz progression). That will really help you get that diatonic movement going. And after you get the basics of the chord constructions for a ii-V-I, you can expand it to something like ii-V-I-vi-IV.
>>
>>60347011
Honestly, it probably doesn't matter too much with those three since they all have more or less the same effect on your signal, albeit to different degrees. I guess it would depend on what you're using each pedal for. If your distortion is your rhythm tone, your OD is your gain boost, and your fuzz is for crazy noisy whatsit, then I would go guitar->distortion->OD->fuzz->amp (and the OD and distortion are actually pretty interchangeable there.) In general, when it comes to any sort of overdrive, the logic seems to be to go from lesser to greater distortion on your way from the guitar to the amp, but it really depends on what the purpose of each pedal is to your overall sound at the end of the day.
>>
>>60347011
There is no correct order. It just depends what sounds good to you, unless you have no imagination and just want to copy someone else's sound...which is probably what you are after anyways as everyone on this shit board only plays cover songs. But yeah, just experiment.
>>
>>60347011
on my board i have it setup like:

guitar -> fuzz -> od -> delay -> amp

if i put the fuzz in front of the od i just do not like the sound i get out of it when i gain stack them and put them on together. people will probably say i'm doing it wrong, but it just sounds better like this to me. the other way makes the fuzz too out of control sounding and it gives it too much of a volume boost, which fucks everything up when i play live
>>
File: bass amp.jpg (202 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
bass amp.jpg
202 KB, 500x500
So im about to pull the trigger on buying my first bass amp head/cab, but i need some advice to help me decide btwn a couple of things.

Right now im looking at a used Acoustic B300H Bass Head for $180 or an Acoustic B600H Bass Head for $250. Would you say the extra power is worth the $70? I'm only going to be using a 4x10 cab for now but that may change in the future so idk.

Speaking of which im trying to decide between a used Acoustic B410 400W Cab for $150 and a used Ampeg SVT410HE Cab for $300. Once again, would it be worth it to go for the Ampeg? I'm going to making some loud noise rock with my friend on drums and synthesizer. Should i just pocket the extra $150 to spend on pedals? Does the Ampeg sound really make that much of a difference? We probably won't be playing any venues larger than house shows or bars.

Are there any other bass amp heads or cabs that i should be considering under these circumstances/price range? Would love some feedback.
>>
>>60347329
>the od
>too much of a volume boost
do you even od?
>>
File: IMG_2329-e1327110511100.jpg (74 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2329-e1327110511100.jpg
74 KB, 600x450
>not posting a picture

>>60340095
Which one are you getting?

>>60340457
Which one do you have? Why are you selling?
>>
>>60347363
the fuzz gives it too much of a volume kick, not the od, and only if i use the fuzz in front of the od
>>
>>60336517
i bought an audiobox usb and i record with my les paul epiphone 100 on ableton live 8.2.2 (i got it off pirate bay)

i keep experimenting with the available cabinets, amps, and audio effects on ableton and i can't get a nice black metal sound.

if anyone has any idea how to do it, let me know.
thank you
>>
File: rabbit5.jpg (126 KB, 917x600) Image search: [Google]
rabbit5.jpg
126 KB, 917x600
>>60340385
He's full of it! Those guitars are worth exactly what you pay for them.
>>
Anyone want to post some original music? I'd love to hear what people are working on, especially electric players. I feel like these threads attract a lot of acoustic strummers so it would be nice to hear something a little more involved.

Seriously, post away. Let's have discussions about your material. I don't have anything from my current band yet (we're recording our EP in January) but I'll post some Vocaroo links or whatever.
>>
I've been practising piano for about a year now (mainly music theory, but a lot of practical work in the last couple of months)

I'm thinking about picking up guitar next and sort of self-teaching myself through youtube and here and whatnot like I did with piano

Basically my question is how easy is learning/picking up & playing guitar compared to piano?
>>
>>60347746
guitar is more difficult in the early stages

the piano is a much more logical instrument, the fretboard on a guitar is a fucking mess compared to the layout of a piano
>>
>>60347724
I will once me and my brother get recording stuff. We'll have a band camp up by the end of the summer. We both sing, play guitar (I do the writing for the lead work and help with the chord progressions) He writes and plays the drums and base. He is also the primary lyricist. His tend to be more thought provoking and poetic and mind tend to be slighty cringy like those who aren't into bands like snowing but they are all said and written with sincerity. Our sound instrumentally is fucking weird.
>>
>>60347817
figured as much, I have stubby as fuck fingers too
>>
>>60343444
please respond
>>
>>60347850
that's not that big of a deal, shawn lane had short stubby fingers and he was extremely fast

there's different neck shapes and sizes that help with that anyway

i'd say piano requires bigger hands and fingers, i've messed around with pianos making chords and stuff, and playing a C with my pinky and a C with my thumb is pretty difficult for my hands
>>
File: 20130922-223618.jpg (81 KB, 610x400) Image search: [Google]
20130922-223618.jpg
81 KB, 610x400
>>60340637
Learn songs with lead parts that you like and then follow their example.

>>60341470
That was me. Routing underneath is a nice touch.

>>60341739
Not him but kek!

>>60344252
Yeah, I have been fucked over like that a couple of times. These days, I go down my checklist.
>>
>>60347746
I went the other way and learned guitar for a few years before going to piano, and I suck as a pianist. The theory side of piano playing is probably a bit more intuitive, since you do literally everything left to right or right to left. It was just difficult for me to go from one instrument to the other given their very different spatial orientations.

But that's probably the case for most instruments. I think a non-brass musician would probably have as much difficulty picking up a stringed instrument as a stringed instrument player would have picking up, say, a saxophone.

Piano requires a LOT less rote memorization, in my opinion. Your average guitar has around 132 possible notes, whereas your average keyboard has 88. So there are a lot more octaves and positions to play around with, not to mention the added dimensions of playing not just left/right but also up/down and diagonally. It's important to learn all of those notes in order to avoid getting confined to the same boring pentatonic boxes. I would say learning piano will give you a natural inclination toward breaking out of those boxes.

TL;DR they're both instruments with their own sets of issues, although it's always better to have a background in at least one instrument before moving on to another.
>>
>>60347922
Not to mention that Lane was a killer pianist.
>>
>>60348013
>Piano requires a LOT less rote memorization, in my opinion. Your average guitar has around 132 possible notes, whereas your average keyboard has 88.

on top of this, the piano makes memorization easier just due to how the keys are laid out. on guitar it's a complete fucking pain in the ass because you have to memorize all these patterns and shapes just to play the same scale or chord in a different position

and on top of THAT, you can play the same note in different positions on the neck as well, the middle C has 5 different positions alone

tl;dr guitar is a pain in the ass
>>
>>60347833
Nice, I wish I had musically-inclined siblings growing up. I don't know where I would be if my dad didn't at least have good taste in prog rock and instrumental music (he introduced me to Satriani, Vai, Pink Floyd, King Crimson). At least my youngest sister wants to learn guitar now (I gave her some scales and chords to work on mastering before I see her again, which will be in about a week or so.)

We'll look forward to hearing your stuff.
>>
>>60348128
>good taste
>prog rock

Pick one.
>>
>>60348128
girls aren't allowed to play guitar, their boobs get in the way

tell her to play violin
>>
>>60347922
>>60348013
>>60348118
thanks for the insight
piano for me really was just a way to enhance my music production, it was never something I planned to master or get "good" at, just be able to play really

as for guitar, I'd probably be happy suffering through the learning process for the rest of my life, no plans to take it as a serious profession or anything, so I can take my time with it a lot more

anyway thanks again, appreciate the advice
>>
>>60345150
>>60345203
i feel sorry for people who start playing left handed because they are left dominant. As a lefty I started on a regular guitar and I'm so happy I did 10+ years down the road
>>
>>60348118
Yeah, I worked with a guy who studied guitar at Berkeley for a couple semesters: he said almost no one, teachers and students alike, uses sheet music (standard notation) unless they strictly study classical or jazz. Guitar students focusing on more modern styles pretty much just use tabs due to the difficulty of locating the exact spot to play a particular note.

That being said, I have been using sheet music to learn jazz standards lately. I'm rubbish at reading rhythms, but if I already know the melody in my head then using standard notation to fill in whatever I can't figure out by ear is actually ideal (there is a surprising dearth of tablature for jazz standards, probably because most jazz students learn by standard notation).
>>
>>60348178
>muh patriarchy
>>
which?
>>
>>60348288
neither, buy an mim tele or strat on craigslist
>>
>>60348288
Neither, buy a used Vintage Modified Strat on eBay for the price of the Epi.
>>
>>60348310
>>60348339
gotcha
>>
>>60348180
Yeah, I feel the same about piano. I would love to be able to play the piano someday as well as I play guitar now, just to be able to entertain family or friends at parties, or to add anther layer of instrumentation to my band's recordings.
>>
File: ume (1).jpg (223 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
ume (1).jpg
223 KB, 600x400
>>60344613
Haha, my first instrument was clarinet via band class. I wanted strings but the teacher wasn't budging. So I go over to my buddy's house and start complaining about it.

His dad must have heard me because he soon busts into the room with a Jazz improv. Turns out he'd been on vinyl in his youth. Needless to say, I felt like an ass having insulted his instrument.

He's dead now. Life is short.

Anyway, welcome!

>>60348178
Rules were meant to be broken I guess. Seems like a lot of female guitar players these days. Of the four I follow on YT, only one of them is for boobs. Two for covers and then Sarah Longfield for originals.

Fuck, I'm chatty up in this bitch tonight.
>>
>>60348606
>Rules were meant to be broken I guess.

NO
GIRLS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY GUITAR GET THE FUCK OFF MY INSTRUMENT
>>
does anyone else love this type of stuff chicken pickin stuff? i love the twangy slappy tone of it, it's hysterical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig2nEtzpHJQ
>>
>>60348709
I've never been a fan but some guitar players put it to interesting use. You can actually get a similar sound by pulling off and hammering on three notes on one string in the middle register while rocking back and forth on the wah. I got the idea from Buckethead, he does the same thing here at around 3:02:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTcg9JybEp8
>>
>>60348178
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3oQRMtCjqg
>>
>>60348163
my drummer and I were talking about this tonight at band practice. He said it seems like only musicians are into really technical styles of music like prog and even then it's just a sometimes thing. I kind of agree. As musicians our ears get tired of hearing the same pop rock chord changes and common riffs. prog, math, and jazz are refreshing to hear sometimes because it'll always be something new and unusual. but if you only listen to prog there's a 100% chance you're awful.
>>
File: Jansen.jpg (59 KB, 1024x728) Image search: [Google]
Jansen.jpg
59 KB, 1024x728
Yo, ni/gg/as! This guitar is like half a Jaguar and half a Mustang. What would you call it? A Mustaguar? Thanks to Kurt Cobain, we can't call it a Jagstang. So what then?
>>
>>60348959
I agree to an extent. I do listen to a lot of prog but I don't just listen to it for the sake of complexity. And prog as a genre has splintered off into so many other styles that a lot of it must look like a niche market to the casual observer. But prog in general has, I feel, been pretty accessible to non-musicians, particularly during its early years when your average consumer, even if he/she was a musician, was primarily exposed to whatever attracted label attention and marketability at the time. Bands like King Crimson, Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, etc. still retained many elements of popular radio rock throughout their music so a the appeal was pretty broad: even Dream Theater found relatively massive success coming off the heels of '80s thrash/shred.

I've always found that the prog rock that appealed to me most was the sort that utterly changed the way I view composition. I was playing in a "deathcore" band at the height of the "-core" era ('08-'09) when I first heard Between the Buried and Me's "Colors" and it blew me away because nobody else I was listening to at the time for inspiration was experimenting like that (I like to think of it as what it must have been like to hear "Dark Side of the Moon" for the first time back in the '70s). Then I heard The Mars Volta's "Francis the Mute" a few months later and it shocked me right out of my metal obsession into jazz, funk, psychedelia, and fusion.
>>
>>60349148
I don't know, man. Clearly it's a custom build but it really reminds me more of a Jaguar. So I guess "like a Jaguar" sounds good in lieu of some ridiculous hybrid name.
>>
>>60349148
I'm not seeing the Mustang at all. Looks like a Japanese Jaguar copy.
>>
File: MainSOLO[1].jpg (117 KB, 960x453) Image search: [Google]
MainSOLO[1].jpg
117 KB, 960x453
>Buy Focusrite Scarlett Solo
>Use it for recording and listening
>Upgrade to Windows 10
>Get Occasional buzzing through headphones
>Playback cutting out in Adobe Audition CC
>This morning got a BSoD from the Focusrite's driver
>Focusrite's PC audio optimization guide does nothing
>Focusrite support claims their newest driver (from 2014) is fully compatible with Windows 10

Can anyone using windows 10 and an audio interface with no issues recommend me something?
>>
>>60347377
I'm not that anon but I'm selling mine.
> https://reverb.com/item/1193430-candy-apple-red-strat-with-lipstick-pickups

I did some mods with it though like switching the backplate, neck, and knobs but I can change it back to stock if you want. The knobs looked cooler and matched the pups in my opinion, the backplate was a temporary replacement to see what the pearloid would look on my MIA strat but I've been too lazy to change it back and the neck is a regular squier unglosse neck because I thought it felt more comfy in my hand. We can negotiate the price of you'd like
>>
>>60348401

don't trust eBay shills they're scamming you
>>
>>60349429
did you try balanced cables
>>
>>60347724
I post my ambient stuff pretty frequently. You've probably heard it before.
>>
>>60349429
It could be USB driver issues.

Try using another port.
>>
>>60349515
I just bought a mint condition, limited-run MIM Strat on eBay and it's amazing. I also bought my tube head on there.

You can find some awesome shizz on eBay. I don't know what you mean by "scamming".
>>
>>60349515
Nah, there are some really good deals to be had on eBay and reverb. Both of my main guitars were good catches there. My RG was new and I negotiated it for $400 less.
>>
>>60349530
Post it again, refresh my memory.
>>
Can anyone who's used the SD Custom 5 comment on its versatility?
>>
File: FullSizeRender (4).jpg (123 KB, 640x594) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
123 KB, 640x594
>>60336517
recently bough a 69 reissue CIJ Mustang for $600. it's pretty fun, nice neck and i enjoy the short scale because of my small hands. not quite my style though, planning on reselling for the same price, maybe even more because of the rarity. gonna stick to strats.
>>
>>60349559
https://clyp.it/ioldui0u
https://clyp.it/cfchp4da
https://clyp.it/d0tare10
>>
>>60349535
That worked...!
Thank you based anon holy shit
>>
>>60349600
I have an SD SH-6 in in my Squier '51 and it shreds everything from funk to blues to rock to metal. The Custom 5 doesn't seem too different in terms of the sort of music you'd use it for, except it sounds like it has a bit more edge. Seems like a pretty versatile, well-rounded hot pickup.
>>
>>60349690
Pretty cool. Not really my thing but I can tell you have musical direction and I respect that.

How much of that is done with a guitar/pedals vs. production software?
>>
>>60349687
As someone who likes to ride his strap extremely high I'd be interested in this
>>
>>60349730
>How much of that is done with a guitar/pedals vs. production software?
There is no post-production in any of those clips. A couple of them have several guitars layered, but majority of the sound is just like that in the room.
>>
>>60349751
Wow, that's awesome. I'd love to start a song with some ambient noise/drone thing before either fading into some acoustic strumming or launching into a high-energy instrumental jam.
>>
>>60349730
>>60349751
Just in addition. Everything in those clips is a guitar. There are no other instruments.
>>
File: image.jpg (924 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
924 KB, 2592x1936
>>60349687
Is this you?
> https://reverb.com/item/1331486-fender-mustang-1994-competition-red

I've got this vintage 1960s Japanese Teisco guitar I can throw in with a few hundred for this guitar, I've been trying for a mustang for a while now, and if it is you were in the same region of Illinois so we can probably just meet up somewhere instead of shipping it
>>
>>60349796
>>60349797
Here's something a bit more raw with my tone. There's nothing parallel going on there. One track recorded straight from the amplifier, no EBow, etc.

https://clyp.it/pbo5tkwf
>>
>>60349880
>>60349880
sorry that's not me, from toronto.
>>
File: IMG_0355.png (1004 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0355.png
1004 KB, 640x1136
>>60349687
it's got a couple small dings, nothing on the front of the body, only noticeable thing is this scratch on the back, no whammy bar. pretty sure $600 CAD is a steal for this thing.
>>
>>60349939
That's like $450 USD? Hell, I'll take it anything you would trade for too? If not I got the cash
>>
what's a good price for a mim white strat w/ maple neck? Is $400 too much? I'm gonna buy one after Christmas but prices seem a bit high on ebay/Reverb. Has the value of mim strats gone way up?
>>
>>60349993
was gonna post it up locally, gonna buy a MIM black strat with rosewood fingerboard.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNichlFpl9w
>>
>>60350008
You can buy a new MIM Strat with those specs for $400 NEW through most retailers. I would be surprised if you couldn't get one for less than $350 in good condition used on eBay or Reverb. I just bought my limited-run MIM Standard Strat for less than $400 new off eBay, including shipping.
>>
File: image.jpg (1004 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1004 KB, 2592x1936
>>60350008
Probably no more than $300 you can go up to $350 if it has a case and is in rally good condition or rare color. It might've been raised higher though since Fender's new price for MIM Standards went from $500 to $600 this year

> pic related, here's my MIM I bought in September. I got it for $325 free shipping and HSC. Ive since swapped the parts around to create two partscasters
>>
is there any decent wah/ring modulator medal?
>>
>>60349412
Yeah, the top horn is just a little less curved than a regular Jag.
>>
>>60350068
Do you live in Chicago? That strap looks like the city's flag.
>>
>>60350051
This slays. Sounds like Tera Melos meets Hendrix.
>>
File: image.jpg (851 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
851 KB, 2592x1936
>>60350025
Well I've got this where little partscaster made from >>60350068

The one I'm offering is the blue on on the right, it's got parts from most factories except China of course
> Neck
Made in Indonesia, off a squier VM surf strat, glossy neck, and a 9.5 radius

> body
Made in Mexico Ice Metallic Blue Alder body with vintage saddles

> pickups
Made in the USA standard pickups with tortoiseshell pickguard
>>
>>60347724
https://soundcloud.com/weouthere2010/shoegaze-test
>>
>>60350094
Yes i am!

>http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/souldier-sldr-strap-chicago-flag-blue-red

Its one of the coolest straps I own but it's been replaced with a bunch of cool leather ones I bought at a flea market for $5-7 each
>>
>>60350198
Dude. Nice. I love CME, ever been inside it? It's like Guitar Center but without all of the things that makes Guitar Center suck. Their "bass"-ment is fucking glorious.

Got any music to share? Any gigs in the city coming up?
>>
>>60350198
Also while on the topic of straps I've been using the same "Stretch Strap" on my main guitars that Buckethead uses. They're pretty cool but I've realized that I want my Strat to sit further up on my torso and the Stretch Straps aren't adjustable beyond the highest notch where the strap connects to the guitar.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>60350290
Yea during he summer when I'm on break from school I venture to the city a lot and I stop by there and spend countless hours getting my hands on anything I've been lusting over online. I even got to play my dream guitar, a 1966 Ventures Mosrite. I was in the room for over 2 hours playing surf rock, i usually buy pedals from there too the selection is amazing.

As for music I'm trying to write some surf rock/ 60s garage rock/ rockabilly do wop so I can open for The Orwells or Modern Vices since I have a connection who can help me out, it's just a matter of me getting off my lazy ass
>>
>>60340543
What a fggt
>>
>>60350370
Yeah, I bought my last pedal from them, an OD. I sat in one of their sound rooms for an hour comparing it with four other pedals. The staff is always super helpful, and they're willing to negotiate on price (I got a new $200 Fender guitar cab for $160).

What part of Chicago are you in? I'm in Jefferson/Portage Park, but I used to live super close to CME up in Lakeview.
>>
>>60350414
Logan Square is where I'm at, I grew on Cornelia avenue and then i moved to the suburbs but due to college I'm back in the city cycle
>>
>>60350564
Lol, I lived in Logan last year. Not my favorite neighborhood, but it's close to Moe's Tavern so there's always live music to see.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>60350414
>>60350564
My first purchase was a limited edition Super Champ x2 in sonic blue that was too unique of a product to pass up as baby's first tube amp.CME's staff Is incredibly nice and helpful, I bought a ditto looper and an Angy sparrow fuzz and they helped me pick the right ones for me. I once got a free setup when I brought in two for a setup I got put on a good customer discount after two visits and they usually throw in a triple pack of strings and picks for me when I buy a pedal. Wonderful store. I would visit the GC in Arlington heights when I was younger because it was the closest shop but the selection was terrible, it seemed to cater mostly to suburban metal head and pop punk kids, the employees were helpful there too put there's not much that you can really try in there.
My grandfather is a scrap metal collecter and he usually finds old and odd gear and refers it to me if there's any resale value, recently I've gotten a vintage harmony H400 (broken speaker but still sold for $70), a 1970s Korean acoustic guitar, a Memphis les Paul copy (that I gifted to a friend who sold it for weed), a 1960s Kingston SS fender mustang copy, some old tambourines and an old tweed case
>>
>>60350683
Yeah, GC's selection, at least in the Chicago stores, has really been cut back (probably due to the decline in sales the company's been experiencing). I haven't been up to the one in Lincoln Park since I lived in that area for school but I was never that impressed with their selection. The one in Arlington Heights (which I go to more frequently now) has a decent bass and amp selection but with guitars it's just so-so.
>>
>>60350683
Also the cab I got at a discount from them was a Super Champ cab. Glorious tone. I'll post pics in a sec.
>>
>>60350813
Here's my rig. Fender MIM Standard Strat in Blaze Gold, Squier VM Jazzmaster with Mastery bridge (installed by the repair shop at CME), Morley Bad Horsie Wah, EHX Soul FOOD OD with JHS mod (purchased at CME), EHX Memory Man with Hazarai, Egnater Rebel 20 head with Mercury output transformer (installed by Chicago Fretworks after the stock transformer blew out), Fender Super Champ cab (CME purchase).
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>60350791
>>60350813
You frequent Arlington? You've probably seen me when I visit my parents in EG. I'm the guy comparing the reverbs on every fender amp with anything P90 or a strat, if not I'm the kid hogging the Hofner bass or any short scale in the bass section

What did you match the SC cab with? I was considering doing that with an orange micro terror but the lack of customization and features pushed me away from it

The orange cab in my pic was a steal. It's a handmade 4ohm Orange 4x12 copy with celestion 30s on the top half and warehouse 30s on the bottom, it's pairs up with a 1992 Deville that combines with the cab and its stock speakers to have a 6x12 2ohm monster
>>
>>60350947
Lol then I'm the guy running every Strat I can get my hands on through Fender or Marshall amps.

If you ever make it out to the Portage Park area check out this shop called Midwest Buy & Sell. You can find some super cool vintage shit in there. Even though it sounds like a pawnshop all they carry in used instruments, mostly guitars, basses, and amps. I saw two upright basses in there last time (one electric, one acoustic) and a few small lunchbox tube amps. Their electric guitar selection is awesome because it's mostly old Strats that the previous owners clearly fixed up and the dumped at the shop after not playing them (I'm talking full set-ups and pickup swaps). I highly recommend stopping in there sometime to look around, I guarantee you'll find some cool shit.

Also, see here for gear info >>60350940
>>
post your pedalboards
>>
File: IMG_20150927_185758.jpg (2 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150927_185758.jpg
2 MB, 2368x3200
What is the easiest way to go about lowering the action on a floyd rose guitar? Do you have any tips and tricks?
>>
>>60351147
No, but that's gorgeous.
>>
>>60351147
Can't you screw the posts higher and lower? Maybe even adjust the saddles?
>>
>>60340130
This pedal is great but somehow you guys managed to make it sound like complete shit.

Good job
>>
>>60351184
Yeah that's what ive gone ahead and started doing right now. Loosened all the strings and turned the posts down a bit. Im mostly wondering if i could be doing something differently.

>>60351183
It's nice, Neck through Ebony and bass wood, neck is hard maple and palisander. I usually don't like gold hardware but i think it works on this guitar.
Bought it second hand, it's a bit out of whack and some weird stuff, previous owner moved the strap button from the horn to the back of the neck...
>>
>>60351259
Eeewwww, why would anyone do that?

I've never heard of the builder before but it looks like they have a solid product line.
>>
>>60351276
I don't know what i should do, i want to move the button back. Maybe just move it back and plug the screwhole with some similar wood.
>>
>>60351147
Adjust those two nuts at the top of the bridge, there's one on either side.
There might be one under the nut too, if you need to adjust that as well.

I had feeler gauges I used on my engine (You can buy some at Autozone or something), and thankfully it had feelers on there that I could use to check the string heights. I'd put a capo on the 1st fret, press a string down at the last fret, and stick a feeler between the string and a fret to check the clearance. Then adjust the bridge as necessary.

Gorgeous guitar, man.
>>
What's a good chorus pedal? I am interested in the Moog MF minifooger but that's way past my budget. Any recommendations for a poorfag?
>>
>>60351300
Just goes to show how little i know of floyd guitars, or tinkering with guitars in general. I think i have a set of feeler gauges somewhere, im just trying to go a bit lower.
I was too impatient and started with the bridge. But now i now, thanks.
>>
>>60351326
We all start somewhere.
I filed and fit a new saddle for the first time not too long ago.
>>
>>60351300
>>60351326
Fuck. I totally had a brain fart. That whole thing with the capo and feeler gauge was what I did when adjusting the neck. My bad.

For checking the action, I sanded down two small sticks of wood I had laying around to the exact height I wanted my 1st and 6th string, and just stuck that under the strings as I adjusted the bridge.
>>
File: IMG_20151113_110046 - .jpg (1 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151113_110046 - .jpg
1 MB, 2368x3200
>>60351399
Im done with it for today i think. And it feels pretty good right now. I think i have to do something with the pick up height though, bridge pick up sounds a bit muddy.

And then there's this fucking strap button,
>>
>>60351549
That is so cringe. Especially with how well-designed the neck/body intersection is.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to have an erection again as long as this image is in my memory.
>>
File: IMG_20151113_111253.jpg (2 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151113_111253.jpg
2 MB, 2368x3200
>>60351579
Another scary thing is that the horn seems to be a bit cracked where the button used to sit. So i don't know what happens if i put it back there and use it. Because it's a pretty heavy guitar.

Sorry about posting this gore.
>>
File: DSC_0486.jpg (1 MB, 1578x1144) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0486.jpg
1 MB, 1578x1144
Here's the gear
Practising Asturias atm and trying to find sheet for another piece
>>
>>60351630
That's probably why he moved the horn.
A skilled luthier could probably fix it, but I don't know.
>>
I have a better than good amount of money heading my way. I want to use some to upgrade my small recording studio. I know which preamp/channel strips Im going to buy. Im thinking about getting a Mesa Boogie Mark V head and 2x12 cab, a used Marshall JCM 2000 50w DSL, and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III for a variety of different amp available to my clients. Also hooking up my mic game and buying a shit load of quality xlr and 1/4" instrument cables. Im a deal nut so Ill probably buy used for most of the shit.
>>
>>60351842
Was looking to buy a couple of MIM strats, Lone Star Deluxe and a HH hot rodded strat, and a used Jazz bass. Anything else, instrument wise I should consider?
>>
>>60351861
Was looking at a used Music Man Silhouette. I like the maple fret board, the easy access truss rod, the stock pickups are Dimarzio's take on the PAF humbucker, 5 way switch, etc. I just didnt want people thinking Im a John Petrucci nut. Im not, I just want a great variety of tones guitar and amp wise. Id even buy a st vince sig model for the right price.
>>
Ill show you niggers one day, after I get my huge hall of gear. I really liked that one anon's mesa single/duel rec and lonestar combo with a usa ash tele. Was thinking about the dynawatt duel/trip rec heads too.

I guess I just need to play the amps I want.
>>
Pic of gear with a mound of cocaine coming soon. Harsh noise setup is still the same.
>>
I wish Kicks Brooks of Brooks and Dunn would do other amazing vocals to any other music.
>>
>>60351709
What music are you looking for?
I have gigabytes of sheet music.
>>
>>60352346
Roberto Gerhard - cantares
Un galán y su morena
>>
>>60352365
sorry, anon

My stuff is all solo and chamber music.
>>
>>60352397
Shame, can't find it on the Internet or from the libraries here
>>
>>60351915
It's fairly different from the JPs, I double people would make the association.
>>
>>60352403
looks like it's available from boosey and hawkes with their print on demand service.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and actually pay for something...
>>
Are there any standalone, solo pieces for the electric guitar out there?

Meaning, the entire song is JUST comprised of the electric guitar, nothing else. No drums, synth or anything.
>>
>>60347377
Getting the red one, sold my Dean Vendetta 4.0.
It was 2metal4me, getting some decent cleans or fuzz was borderline impossible, also i wanted something with tremolo bridge
>>
>>60352397
where did you get them? could you post your favorite?
>>
>>60351300
>>60351399

the feeler gauge is usually meant to measure your neck relief, but i've stacked them up before and used them to measure standard string height when i lost my string action gauge

you just have to stack a couple of them together and add the numbers together in a calculator to make sure you get the right height

it actually works surprisingly well, but it's kind of a pain in the ass
>>
>>60353037
torrent sites over the years.

You could see if this works,

https://kat.cr/gizmo-s-classical-guitar-sheets-release-sep-2011-t5835737.html

or search for gizmos classical guitar

If not, I'll upload some stuff on the weekend
>>
>>60347724
I hope you like chugs

https://clyp.it/5wn55dgj
>>
File: IMG_5439.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5439.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
How important are pick ups for overall sound really? I like the twang of the stock pups in my Squier Strat (Affinity series, surprisingly decent compared to a regular MiM strat), but I feel they both lack output and are a bit noisy overall. Would upgrading them to a proper Fender pup set (or maybe some Seymour Duncans or something) help that or should I just get a compressor and a noise gate? Signal chain related but WIP
>>
>>60352807
There are, but all the ones I know of are short interlude pieces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxwJNrblMFU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4R2JKnRwfw
>>
>>60355572
>Squier strat
your pedal chain is already worth more than that guitar.
>>
>>60355572
fingers > amp > pickups > guitar

You could upgrade just the pickups, but I'd save up a bit more for a new guitar that has better stock pickups
>>
>>60355673
It doesn't matter considering the guitar is lightweight, easily playable and doesn't detune too heavily even when I constantly use the vibrato... I do wonder about the pups tho and lacking some good reference sounds in that regard (since it's not easy to just pop in a few different pups and find out which fits best with the setup)
>>60355744
Any experience with the stock pups in mexico strats?
>>
>>60355774
>it's not easy to just pop in a few different pups
Maybe it's not "easy" but it's certainly not very hard. You could turn your squier into a project guitar and just slap all kinds of shit in there while saving up like >>60355744 says
>>
I love the "Jazzmaster sound" but the strings are too floppy. Would a JazzCaster help tighten things up without sacrificing much of the tone?
>>
>>60355818
Good point, good plan
Any recommendations in terms of single coil pups based on personal experience?
>>
>>60352807
Yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNJyQafbSw
>>
>>60355852
Just use heavier guage strings and then set the action and intonation accordingly
>>
>>60355852
>JazzCaster
these look fuckin sexy
soon as i save up enough money ive gotta build one of these
>>
File: ampeg.jpg (106 KB, 752x562) Image search: [Google]
ampeg.jpg
106 KB, 752x562
So i've put some hours on this new ampeg gvt15h and gotta say its about perfect for someone thats looking for an inexpensive low watt head....its 15/7.5 watts. Stays pretty free of breakup until its about dimed with the gain kept low, perfect as a pedal platform.
>>
>>60357046
ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
What's a good vibrato like?
>>
>>60357423
check with bb king
>>
>>60355852
lmao what? Use heavier strings and adjust the action. Don't go out and buy a brand new guitar because your string tension is low god dammmmnn.
>>
>>60357046
How loud would you say it is?
>>
>>60357770
no way that thing's loud enough for a drummer. I have to turn my 50 watt head (with a very efficient Altec speaker) up halfway to get over my drummer.
>>
>>60357894
its tube, loudness differs
>>
>>60357904
um duh mine's toob too. 50 watts is practice amp territory.
>>
>>60357941
50 watts SS I meant to say.
15 tube watts is not loud enough for a drummer, trust me. Unless you're playing in a jazz trio or something.
>>
>>60357964
>>60357941
what?
>>
>>60357982
Should I say it slower?
>>
>>60358016
maybe you could be clearer
>>
>>60358027
okay obviously the amp I was talking about (my 50 watt head) is a tube amp because a 50 watt SS amp is basically a practice amp. That wouldn't get over a drummer in any situation. 15 watt tube amps are great for the bedroom but not something to bring to a band practice. Is that clear enough?
>>
>>60358051
ok, thanks mate. Genuinely didn't understand, wasn't trying to be complicated
>>
>>60358069
I understand! For what it's worth, I saw a jazz guitar duo play at a restaurant and they were both using little Fender tube amps. I think Champs. It was plenty loud and sounded great. Once you add a drummer though, those little amps are immediately drowned out.
>>
>>60357770
i didn't check with a spl meter but it gets loud enough to warrant earplugs and stays clean at those spls. Most all of the other 15 watters that i've tried start to break up at a much lower spl, meaning their distortion is going to color the sound, i want to get my dirt from pedals so this is about perfect for what I'm looking to do.
>>
>>60358120
Fair enough. My 7 watt tube amp was loud enough for my sisters electric drums but obviously thats a very different playing field, lol
>>
Going to pick up some new strings for my Squier tomorrow, was using stocks before then. Any recs?
>>
>>60358179
get six.
>>
>>60358193
heh. Genuinely, whats the difference in sound with strings?
>>
>>60358208
less than you probably imagine. especially considering you are using budget gear. I wouldn't worry about the "tone" your going to be getting lol. just get some you can afford.
>>
>>60358179
is it a strat? tele? jag? JM? these things matter, anon.
>>
>>60358258
sorry : / Its a vintage modified strat, I like to play a bit of everything as of now, with a little bit of an inclination to more shoegazey stuff. As >>60358255 has said, there may be negligible difference but i'd rather shop smart
>>
>>60358258
>these things matter
lel
the pointless things you poorfags waste time talking about about is hilarious
>>
File: 1443990230089.jpg (103 KB, 777x896) Image search: [Google]
1443990230089.jpg
103 KB, 777x896
>>60358208
Honestly, I don't hear much of a difference. I play Ernie Balls because they're cheap. Nerds will tell you Ernies suck and to buy Elixirs but I've never had a problem with Ernies and they're 1/3 the cost of Elixirs. No tone issues, no early breakage, nuthin'. I do like D'Addario NYXLs though. If I'm feeling fancy or going into the studio that's what I play.
>>
>>60358179
you're probably going to want heavier strings (Squier stocks awful tiny 9s) but you have to adjust the intonation to accommodate the new tension.
>>
>>60358307
>talking about guitar strings makes you poor.
honestly wtf lol. maybe I took the bait but wow, man.
>>
>>60358304
>negligible difference
youre going to get a larger impact on your sound with your tone control than with strings. upgrade the tone control pot in your guitar or suffer the consequences.
>>
>>60358331
yeah i know about the intonation stuff, any brands you'd say in particular?
>>60358322
I use Elixirs on my acoustic and they definitely sound brighter, but obviously these things never translate 100% from acoustic to electric lol
>>
>>60358351
noted. However, i don't know shit about electrical engineering, and when i asked how to get into it a couple of threads ago i got 0 replies
>>
>>60358351
I mean yeah, it's not gonna impact your tone but it has a HUGE effect on the feel and playability of the instrument. String tension is very very important. Anon has been playing on a Squier strat with stock 9s, he has no idea what a real guitar actually feels like.
>>
>>60358380
I use D'addario medium top/heavy bottom (.11-.52) and before I tried these I didn't really have an opinion on strings. I FUCKING LOVE these ones though. Only strings I'll ever put on my Jazzmaster. They just feel and sound so good. They're still fresh after a month of daily playing, too.
>>
>>60358409
actually, i do play on a steel string acoustic too, and i've very much noticed how cruddy the stocks are, i've just made do for the time being because it doesn't matter THAT much to me
>>
>>60358409
>he has no idea what a real guitar actually feels like
and new strings are not going to change that fact.
>>
>>60358437
i'll check 'em out
>>
>>60339865
TOM sucks the thing you posted is cash
>>
>>60358444
He has a Vintage Modified, not an Affinity or a Bullet. Not all Squiers are created equal, friendo.
>>
>>60358508
>Squiers
lel
>>
Is using the thumb for bass notes (a la hendrix) bad technique?
>>
>>60358553
only if you get used to keeping your thumb there all the time.
>>
>>60358553
Well if you have freakishly long fingers and mad skills like Hendrix, it works.
>>
>>60358553
does it really matter?
>>
>>60358576
if you want your fingers to move fast, yes. You should put your thumb on the back of the neck
>>
>>60358571
>mad skills like Hendrix
Hendrix was a pretty clueless guitarist. He didn't even know they made left handed guitars.
>>
What is everyone asking for from Gear Santa?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnDUf8ZMBSs
Or is it a gimmick and there's no chance of winning
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.