[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art Angles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 16
File: Grimes_-_Art_Angels.jpg (29 KB, 316x315) Image search: [Google]
Grimes_-_Art_Angels.jpg
29 KB, 316x315
Thoughts on the new Grimes album?
>>
She gets worse with every release and hasn't been anything but boring since her debut
>>
>>60271520
It's good because no men worked on it.
>>
>>60271537
/thread
>>
>>60271556
/fuck off
>>
It fucking sucks. The vibe I get from it is that what she really wants to do is write songs for Taylor Swift and Rhianna and rake in the cash, which is a good plan for financial security but makes for an album that's generic and practically unlistenable to anyone with a distaste for top 40 bullshit, and I say this as a fan of Visions.
>>
>>60271579
art angles is really fun imo but nothing more than that
>>
LMAO you misspelled Angels just like that faggot on YouTube! Thread of the year desu senpai
>>
>>60271607
It's really impossible for me to listen to this sort of music and find enjoyment in it. It doesn't have any of the things that made her previous albums interesting or enjoyable to me.
>>
File: image.png (41 KB, 455x410) Image search: [Google]
image.png
41 KB, 455x410
shitty pop
>>
stinks worse than grimes' stale ass
>>
better than visions, but still bad
>>
Solid release. Off-kilter pop can be some of my favourite music when done right, and she's bang on target with a few of these tracks. There's also a few duds , but certainly less so than on Visions. Art Angels won't be making my end of year list or anything, but it was an enjoyable enough listen which I will likely be revisiting.
>>
It's catchy and fun electropop with some artsy flourishes.

The title track is probably my favorite.
>>
>>60271520
It is not a very good album, I did not like it at all.
>>
Haven't listened to any of her other stuff but I thought it was okay
>>
Constant Lambert didn't write "Music Ho!" so 80 years later we could all become stuffy pop deniers. Off into the dustbin of history with you all.

I love it. Very interesting production full of strange quirks: key changes, weird instrument choices, etc. world princess II and Venus fly my favs. Laughing and not being normal is a fucking stunning opener as well. Very layered.

Not sure about the new realiti? The vocal is quirkier but the production is the only moment on the album that suffers from the "pop for the sake of pop" attitude. I think the slightly wonky beat on the demo better suits the song than the new "Grimes does clubland" beat and I prefer the simpler vocal.
>>
is this album not the real album?

I've yet to see any major music sites review it..
>>
>>60272146
literally what?
>>
Very good, but stylistically confused. Carly Rae Jepsen's new album was a better pop one.

I really want to hear that scrapped album now.
>>
>>60272166

not major music sites have yet to review it..

pitchfork
npr
rollingstone
nme

etc...

Usually music sites review an album weeks beforehand..but none are even touching it.
>>
>>60272188
yes anon you're right it's a fake album it's all a big ruse and Grimes is suddenly going to say "HAHA FOOLED YOU" and release the real album well done you cracked it
>>
>>60272194

Yeah..lets hope that is the case.
>>
OOOOH NOOOO IIIT CAAAME
HIGHER THAN AN AEROPLANE
>>
4/10
>>
Happy, fun dream pop that's quite nice to listen to, it isn't complex but I still like it
>>
you know when i heard grimes was working on a new album i was kind of excited because i thought that even though visions was unlistenable there was some semblance of creativity in it

then i hear her talking about how shitty all her music is and how much she hates everything she's made (even songs she hasn't released or just released) i just sort of lost hope of her making anything good
>>
mega?

if I'm a grimes fan will I like it or nah?
>>
its fun catchy and dancey

kill v main, venus fly, realiti A+
>>
there's nothing unique about her sound now but it isn't bad

i can picture a few of these songs possibly getting on the radio but probably not top 40
>>
>>60272976
5/10
it's not bad or really good. just a fun album
>>
File: 5.png (1 MB, 1166x722) Image search: [Google]
5.png
1 MB, 1166x722
its a shitty album no question about it

i think its funny how hard grimes' marketers and financial backers (conde nast at large) is pushing hard to give it classic status already

>inb4 some oblivious retard says conde nast bought p4k not stereogum xD
they all work together
>>
intro sounds actually good FaMs
>>
Fantano gave it a 7/10 so it's a 7/10 album at best.
>>
>california

IM LITERALLY PUKING FaMS
>>
flesh without blood is neat tho
>>
Based on AF's rating I gave the title track another listen and you know what it's really not bad
>>
This album fails as a radio pop album.
This album fails as a what we expect from a Grimes album.

I don't see how anyone likes it.
>>
File: Hubba.gif (922 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Hubba.gif
922 KB, 400x225
>>60273090
gonna need another puke bowl desu family. I only enjoy about half the album. I hope she releases her scrapped album. She mentioned doing that somewhere.
>>
>>60271520
>now that the dust has settled

she was always shit
>>
belly of the beat sounds like a catchy pop song tho
>>
kill v maim sounds like the best song brittany speers has ever released tobeh
>>
It's her attempt at "eat, pray, love" and a perfect example of the retardedness of the feministic attitude. She used to make sensual, original music that was - like a lot of good music - great because it showed vulnerability. It also was a celebration of femininity, sort of. But now she shifted, stating "I won't write songs about love anymore", essentially distancing herself from her true fans, trading her old stlye for a loudmouthed in-your-face attitude and embracing banality by making what can only be considered regular pop music.
A lot of people are saying how great that album is, but I'm pretty sure that effect will wear off pretty fast. These aren't the evergreens she used to write. Technically they're not bad, but the problem is that old grimes was something you couldn't get anywhere else and now you can't even get it from her.
>>
Be nice to Grimesy /mu/
>>
artangels is shit
>>
imo it's actually quite complex pop. but desu im no contemporary pop expert but still. i think that album might grow on me. i've listened to it twice and revisited some songs already. we'll see.

in comparison i loved visions immediately. this is very different but not bad. overall i like when musicians experiment with different styles
>>
easily is o.k.
>>
I think it's alright. 6/10 famalam
>>
Flesh without blood

2:55

sing along "I know you were trouble when you walked in"

I hope she gets Kesha'd by the industry so that she learns the error of her ways
>>
All I can say it's a piece of shit, even worse than the other terrible LP she dropped, and I haven't even listened to this one.
>>
>>60272142
I want to support this post like I want to say inner city children deserve to go to college.
>>
Pls rate my review guys

https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Self_Validation/rating73050180
>>
>>60271714
This is basically how I feel about it too. I really enjoyed it, personally.
>>
>>60271579

I keep seeing people throw around Taylor Swift's name when talking about Art Angels and I'm like . . . the fuck? They do not even compare, stylistically or content wise
>>
>>60271520
I really liked that REALiTi single. Will I like the full album? In the Youtube description of the single it says it didn't make the album, but according to Wikipedia it's on there anyway.
>>
File: get al ife.jpg (55 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
get al ife.jpg
55 KB, 540x405
>>60273019
the only place I've seen people talking shit about this album is here

insecure white men problems
>>
she should of had some damn men help her with this shit, jesus murphy did she fuck this up bigtime

4/10
>>
>>60274544
lmao grimes fo real u listen to grimes nigga
1) you can't even execute a windmill, you're physically incapable of doing so, and lack the skill and discililpline to learn how to
2) if savage refugees invaded you country and threatened to rape your wife (this is a hypothetical situation wherein you exist as a man that actually has a woman companion) you would NOT be confident in your ability to protect yourself and those around you

but keep listenin to grimes bruh, you have no t ext messages waiting for you and have fecal residue in your nasty crusty ass, fuck out
>>
File: welcome to la.jpg (60 KB, 599x400) Image search: [Google]
welcome to la.jpg
60 KB, 599x400
California is the best song on the album, imo.
I hope it's the next music video.

Totally reminds me of The Beverly Hillbillies riding into California for the first time.
>>
Kinda hit-and-miss for me, but not terrible.
>>
>>60271520

so many fucking neckbeard losers in this thread

if you can't accept the greatness of stuff like 1989, EMOTION, and Art Angels then you really just have such close-minded, boring taste.

"wah my music isn't complex enough"

"but why is complexity inherently good?"

"wah"
>>
>>60274663

I get a dixie chicks vibe from that song.
>>
File: 1381454116212.gif (2 MB, 400x560) Image search: [Google]
1381454116212.gif
2 MB, 400x560
>>60271520
Anybody have a 320 to the actual album?
>>
File: grimessweat.jpg (45 KB, 500x544) Image search: [Google]
grimessweat.jpg
45 KB, 500x544
>>60274534
someone pls
>>
cute music for cute people
>>
>>60274727
It's not that it's not complex, the layering on the first track is nothing if not complex. John Darnielle makes fantastic music with a boombox, his guitar and his voice.

It's just not good
>>
>>60274793
A reworked version is on there

just go to RYM
>>
File: 5 star reviews.png (1 MB, 1366x4890) Image search: [Google]
5 star reviews.png
1 MB, 1366x4890
84% gave it 5 stars
16% gave it 4 stars

AOTY!
>>
>>60275009
You'll be hard pressed to find many albums which aren't highly praised or completely slammed, there's no middleground in Amazon.
>>
>>60275009
>rateyourmeme
kek
>>
>>60271520
anybody has link for art angels
>>
>>60275108
did you even look at the image faggot
>>
>>60272495
it's not dreamy at all. she sounds like she's trying to sound undreamy because enough feminist thinkpieces have guilt-tripped her into thinking that her cute/otherworldliness/dreamgirl-ness is too 'manic pixie dreamgirl', even though that's just the way she seems to be
>>
>>60274509
It's mostly the style of guitar, and it's also an easy way of dismissing it as sounding like top 40 (which it does) by comparing it to the most famous pop artist at the moment, even though I'd admit that nothing on here truly channels her work up to this point. I could definitely see TS making music like this pretty soon though.
>>
>>60275149
you seem quite delusional
>>
Visions was a mistake.
>>
>>60275222
vision is terrible t.b.h, though it have a few decent singles but that's it

btw anybody got link for the new one
>>
>>60275009
>amazon

:)
>>
>>60275220
the aesthetic just seems almost actively trying to resist dreaminess. and as for my take there, there have been a number of instances of her starting to parrot the manic-pixie-dreamgirl critique, and there's even a line in the new album "I'll never be your dreamgirl".

so yeah, eat a dick.
>>
>>60271553
I bet she actually thinks like this
>>
>>60271520
Probably would have been a better album if those audio engineers hadn't mansplained her away from editing it.
>>
I went into this as a fan of Visions, excited and very much wanting it to be good. I had to turn it off about a minute into California.
I listened to the whole thing the next day and my only response is that it's fucking horrible. What the hell happened?
>>
>>60275749
my exact same reaction, anon

see >>60273090
>>
Where's the link?
>>
>>60275771
just buy a fucking tidal subscription, you filthy buglar
>>
>there are 15 GRIMES threads on /mu/ right now
holy fuck the shilling is out of control
>>
>>60275887
>le shill meme

>>>/v/
>>
>>60271520
>tfw no one notices that faggot op spelt 'angels' wrongly
>>
>>60275896
the shill is real

>>>/trash/
>>
>>60276209
its a cute reference to the anthony fantano review
>>
>>60271637
This. I mean, aside from her voice, there isn't anything identifiably "Grimes-esque" about this music. Whatever that is was emerging on something like Halifaxa and Darbloom and quite potent on Visions, but most of Art Angels seems a total abandonment of that. Only Kill v. Maim seems like an interesting advancement of her (now previous) aesthetic, the rest really is much too faithful aping of Top 40.
>>
File: stureman.jpg (48 KB, 356x310) Image search: [Google]
stureman.jpg
48 KB, 356x310
>>60271714
>off-kilter pop
>she's bang on target

Look no further.
>>
>>60273533
>I hope she gets Kesha'd by the industry

What does this mean
>>
>>60274509
With a few tweaks Taylor Swift could have done Flesh w/o Blood or Belly of the Beast.
>>
>>60274727
It's because it's shit pop.

This ain't no Ray of Light.
>>
not enough mayo
>>
>>60276487
ariel pink over all
>>
>>60276691
Becoming a regular top40s act is mostly about sucking someones dick. Kesha refused and disappeared into obscurity
>>
>>60273070
Good point.
>>
>>60272194
Chris Ott is claiming that Elite Gymnastics gave him a copy of more unreleased Grimes material.

Anyway I like a couple tracks and I think Kill V. Maim is a total banger.
>>
It sounds like a 15 year old girl getting full creative freedom.
>>
>>60278415
Which is good, isn't it?
>>
File: 101920485639.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
101920485639.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
while her last album was essentially a very sweet sounding girl with disturbing lyrics over dark wave synth type sound, this album is very..... bright and colorful? smells like top 40 pop.
>>
Not sure if Pitchfork will be as high as other reviews, seeing that "California" is basically a diss on them.
>>
Can someone link the real version without the nigger edits?
>>
>>60279117
They gave two Best New Tracks to the album already, has that ever happened and the album not gotten a Best New Music
>>
second half is Grimes' best music

if LANBN went straight into into Kill V. Maim forth it would be a 10/10 pop record
>>
>>60279117
The cutest way to be dissed desu.
>>
>>60279147
Panda bears
>>
>>60279212
ok link to the 2 tracks and the album then
>>
I don't like this version of Realiti
>>
>>60279117
I know that happened to MIA after she dissed them
>>
>>60279189
CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALIFONYAAAA
>>
>>60271520
A O T Y
O
T
Y
>>
>>60279296
What MIA did was way worse though. California is more of a heartfelt critique than a diss.
>>
>>60271653
shitty post
>>
>>60274663
California is fucking atrocious and you should feel bad for liking that shit song.
>>
>>60279212
It's panda bears newest release. Dont have to spoonfeed yah m8
>>
>>60275887
Not shilling, just neckbeards
>>
I just listened to the whole thing, my opinions are I don't like it. Visions was a pretty good album, and my biggest gripe with the new album is it gives me the same feelings being keked I imagine would feel like. Something so infuriating is all the little interesting elements are downplayed and all the worst most obnoxious and boring elements are cranked up to 10, it's the most masochistic album I ever listened too.
>>
Never thought Chinese could sound so sexy desu.
>>
>>60273237
I'd literally never heard of her until this weekend. I liked the album a lot. Also the previous album is pretty good too.
>>
the real Q here is whether this will be her big breakthrough, like the Weeknd had earlier this year? if so, how long until the inevitable Ed Sheeran collaboration?
>>
>>60285213
>if so, how long until the inevitable Ed Sheeran collaboration?

oh, man, don't say that
>>
Its pop with grimes singing, nothing remotely similar and has none of the qualities that made me interested in her music to begin with. I just can't stand most of the songs because of how painfully generic and slapdash the songwriting is ( California most specifically ). Its just Grimes trying to be the Taylor Swift for the Lawlsorandum tumblr crowd.
>>
i like artangels and easily

the new version of realiti is inferior
>>
>>60273239

>I hope she releases her scrapped album. She mentioned doing that somewhere.

thats a good news. any link senpai?
>>
>>60286277
>the new version of realiti is inferior

Thank you, was just about to say this. So, so subpar compared to the demo...

>>60271520
Album on the whole isn't bad, but the first like 4-5 are the best desu
>>
world princess pt II is the cutest song imo desu senpai
>>
1. Realiti demo
2. Flesh Without Blood
3. Pin
4. Kill vs. Maim
5. Easily
>>
File: 1413301948392.jpg (45 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1413301948392.jpg
45 KB, 720x480
Realiti (demo) > World Princess Pt. II > Art Angels
desu senpai
>>
Is Grimes an SJW tumblrgirl? I will stop listening to her if she is because of that and this shit album.
>>
>>60271520
most of it sucks, realiti rocks
>>
Can I get a link that doesn't have that fucking faggot Aaron with his dumb ass audio samples?
>>
>>60287278
>Can I get a link that doesn't have that fucking faggot Aaron with his dumb ass audio samples?
try spotify poorfag
>>
>>60287278
DJ AARON ELLIS
>>
>>60287185
Have you actually listened to Grimes before?
>>
>>60287353
>Have you actually listened to Grimes before?
I've been listening to her since Halfaxa but I can't understand her lyrics and I don't actually care too much for lyrics in the first place when it comes to music so long as it sounds good.

Is she an SJW tumblrgirl or not?
>>
>>60287385
>I don't care about lyrics, I care about the muzak
>if she is a tumblrgirl though I will hate her

well you sound like a dumb faggot
>>
>>60287385
Yes she is
>>
>>60287416
Proof?
>>
>>60287385
>Is she an SJW tumblrgirl or not?

check out her tumblr.
>>
>>60287431
>proof
her twitter
her tumblr
literally any time she voices her opinion
get your head out of your ass you fucking moron
>>
>>60287486
>her twitter
>her tumblr
>literally any time she voices her opinion
>get your head out of your ass you fucking moron
I don't look at that shit otherwise I would know for myself and not have to ask. Do you always get so assmangled when someone asks you a question?
>>
Anyone else liking Butterfly? Thought it one of the best on the album.
>>
>>60287528
Agreed
>>
>>60287528
I agree, although I hadn't fully realized that until listening to the album a couple of times with my headphones on

lyrics are great, the subtle screaming in the background is awesome, and the ukulele gives me nintendo vibes
>>
>>60287514
I just looked over her tumblr and twitter and don't see anything blatantly SJW. Are you sure you're not lying?
>>
>>60287620
http://actuallygrimes.tumblr.com/post/48744769552/i-dont-want-to-have-to-compromise-my-morals-in
here you lazy piece of shit
>>
>>60287620

she definitely very liberal. vegan, supports animals rights and feminism and environmental action etc
>>
>>60287655
Nothing in that post is SJW.
>>60287680
>she definitely very liberal
That's fine. A good thing, even.
>vegan
Dumb, but considering the next point I think it makes sense.
>supports animals rights
That's fine.
>environmental action
This is a good thing.
>feminism
Now here is something that actually relates to what I asked. Does she support "modern" (tumblrgirl) feminism, or does she support actual feminism?
>>
>>60287592
The chorus is catchy as fuck.
>>
so with all these simple upbeat pop songs its no point for her to be a "multitasker" on stage anymore.
>>
>>60287740
>nothing in that post is SJW
lol are you fucking blind?
The whole thing is about feminism. That's the point.
Did you even read it?
>>
>>60287740
>Now here is something that actually relates to what I asked. Does she support "modern" (tumblrgirl) feminism, or does she support actual feminism?

i cant quote any interviews but the impression i get is that she does support the tumblr type.
>>
>>60287812
>i dont want my words to be taken out of context
Nothing SJW about this
>i dont want to be infantilized because i refuse to be sexualized
Nothing SJW about this
>i dont want to be molested at shows or on the street by people who perceive me as an object that exists for their personal satisfaction
Nothing SJW about this
> dont want to live in a world where im gonna have to start employing body guards because this kind of behavior is so commonplace and accepted and I’m pissed that when I express concern over my own safety it’s often ignored until people see firsthand what happens and then they apologize for not taking me seriously after the fact…
Nothing SJW about this
>I’m tired of men who aren’t professional or even accomplished musicians continually offering to ‘help me out’ (without being asked), as if i did this by accident and i’m gonna flounder without them. or as if the fact that I’m a woman makes me incapable of using technology. I have never seen this kind of thing happen to any of my male peers
Nothing SJW about this
>I’m tired of the weird insistence that i need a band or i need to work with outside producers (and I’m eternally grateful to the people who don’t do this)
Nothing SJW about this

etc etc. Do you even know what an SJW is? Or did you read the part about not wanting to be sexualized or "wud u fuk grymz" and instantly jump to the buzzword you read on 4chan?
>>
>>60287842
>i cant quote any interviews but the impression i get is that she does support the tumblr type.
So the misandrist kind?

From the link the other anon gave me it doesn't seem like she hates men universally.
>>
>>60271520
I keep hiding every thread I see about it because it makes me angry
>>
stop talking about this semantic sjw bullshit and talk about music and grimes new album faggots
>>
>9.0
>Flawless highpoints of stunning pop
>Some flawed tracks here and there
>Sometimes self indulgent for no reason
2nd Album of the year behind Tame Impala
>>
>>60271520
seeing this ugly album over is really starting to get under my skin
>>
>>60287905

>From the link the other anon gave me it doesn't seem like she hates men universally

she specifically says she doesnt hate all men.
>>
>>60287875
>>i dont want to be infantilized because i refuse to be sexualized
>Nothing SJW about this
Stop finding me attractive!!
I'm not cute you misogynist pedophiles!!
>> dont want to live in a world where im gonna have to start employing body guards because this kind of behavior is so commonplace and accepted and I’m pissed that when I express concern over my own safety it’s often ignored until people see firsthand what happens and then they apologize for not taking me seriously after the fact…
>Nothing SJW about this
A famous person with a body guard? What kind of sick world is this? I mean come on it's 2015!
>>I’m tired of men who aren’t professional or even accomplished musicians continually offering to ‘help me out’ (without being asked), as if i did this by accident and i’m gonna flounder without them. or as if the fact that I’m a woman makes me incapable of using technology. I have never seen this kind of thing happen to any of my male peers
>Nothing SJW about this
I don need no man they're all shit how dare they offer help to me!
I never see men get offered help, it must be a patriarchal conspiracy!
>>
File: 1337240579921.jpg (25 KB, 378x451) Image search: [Google]
1337240579921.jpg
25 KB, 378x451
>>60288016
This is the worst strawman I've ever seen. I'm laughing heartily. Thanks.
>>
>>60287875
he's a /pol/tard so just ignore him
>>
>>60272142
How pretentious can one post be?

>Constant Lambert didn't write "Music Ho!" so 80 years later we could all become stuffy pop deniers.
>Pop deniers
I suppose you're also denying everything you dislike? What idiotic logic.
There's good pop and bad pop -- this album is the latter.
>Off into the dustbin of history with you all.
Whimsical, narcissistic Tumblr shit. Stop trying to validate your own love of throwaway pop. There's nothing more annoying than former teeny-boppers trying to be apologists for all pop, pretending it's on equal footing with high art.

>weird instrument choices
>Guitar everywhere
Yeah......

>Laughing and not being normal is a fucking stunning opener as well. Very layered.
So you call out pop deniers and then lavish praise over the show-boaty opener that uses MIDI orchestration in a banal way?

>But it's so layered
Multi-track recording was invented in the '50s
>>
>>60288047
>If you offer help that means you think that their success was a fluke and they will flounder because they're a woman who can't use technology
>being infantilized = being sexualized

Since you want to talk about strawmans
>>
>>60288126
>>If you offer help that means you think that their success was a fluke and they will flounder because they're a woman who can't use technology
No. She was talking about shitty or even non- musicians offering her help constantly. This implies that they think there is something she could learn from them because they are "better" than her at music or however you want to phrase it. There is nothing wrong with her getting annoyed that guys are constantly trying to "teach" her things.
>>being infantilized = being sexualized
I can understand not wanting to be sexualized. I don't know enough about Grimes's fans to know if people infantilize her, but she does give off the cutesy little girl vibe so I can understand her not wanting it.

Also she didn't say being infantilized is equivalent to being sexualized. She was basically just saying that she doesn't want to be worshipped by pedos or have people talking about whether or not they would fuck her.
>>
>>60288234

i get the impression youd defend her no matter what she said or if it was right
>>
>>60271520
I love it but Grimes is waifu bait.
>inb4 3DPD
It's the future of waifus, deal with it
>>
>>60289099
>3DPD

whats that?
>>
>>60289249
3-D pig disgusting, a term used by weebs to describe real-life women. Ironically or not, who knows at this point?
>>
>>60271520
8.5 desu senpai
>>
FROM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA
TO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lveqodcepjs

What happened? Was she forced to add some pop song stuff to her songs
>>
>>60271520
I feel like it's a solid 8.5 on my end.
>>
>>60287937
2nd pop album of the year behind Tame Impala*
>>
>>60271563
/suck my hairy balls
>>
>>60289294
>a term used by weebs to describe real-life women. Ironically or not, who knows at this point?

lel
>>
>>60271520
What I want to know is why she thought adding that ugly shit on the right was a good idea.
>>
does scream remind anyone else of i am a god?
>>
>>60287385
>Is she an SJW tumblrgirl or not?
Yes.
>>
>>60271520

"Art Angels is a gilded coffin nail to outmoded sexist arguments that women in pop are constructed products, a mere frame for male producers' talents—that because their music is immaculate, they are somehow not authentic."

such p4k
>>
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21264-art-angels/

8.5. Same as Visions.
>>
>>60289967

"The album is an epic holiday buffet of tendentious feminist fuck-off, with second helpings for anonymous commenters and music industry blood-suckers. "
>>
>>60289854
Ironic purposes, I'm sure.
>>
Critics, hype, buzzwords, shitposting, and insults aside, is anyone else super into Kill V. Maim right now? It's one of the best pop songs I've heard in a long time and I'm jamming so hard to it right now.
>>
im diggin it, nothing spectacular, but a fun album none the less
>>
>>60290317
Yeah, fave song right now.
>>
>>60290317

>That feel when you loved it but then everyone on /mu/ says it's their favorite too

..fuck
>>
BABY BELIEVE ME
>>
File: ss (2015-11-10 at 07.35.57).png (3 KB, 489x29) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-11-10 at 07.35.57).png
3 KB, 489x29
>look up kill v maim lyrics
jesus fuck
>>
>>60287514
Are you a plant stuck in a flower pot? How did you manage to end up here if you couldn't manage ending up anywhere you wanted to be?
>>
>>60275604

>I think this album is bad because Grimes won't cater to my fetish for helpless, dreamy girls who only have eyes for me

Pretty much what every criticism of this album I've read boils to: Grimes is a feminist and thus the music she makes is Tumblr trash. I applaud Grimes when she sings "You only like me when you think I'm looking sad". You virgins can fuck off.
>>
>Julia Holter 8.4
>Joanna Newsom 8.5
>Grimes 8.5
>Dr Dre's instantly forgotten dumpster album 8.8
I thought you people said pitchfork was aggressively feminist
>>
>>60274650
>proving your insecurity
bruh
>>
The hooks just aren't there, OK? It's forgettable. Two songs don't make an album.
>>
>>60294160
>I thought you people said pitchfork was aggressively feminist
yeah but white guilt trumps feminism
>>
>>60271520
>open Pitchfork review
>8.5
>first paragraph
>"outmoded sexist arguments"
Stopped reading and listening right there.
>>
>>60272188
>music sites review an album weeks beforehand

usually week of release or the week before, never weeks
>>
>>60280199

What did MIA do? The only recent thing I can recall was that edgy superbowl middle finger
>>
If you didn't Claire was heading in this direction, you're either ignorant or a fool. She's always been highly vocal about her love for pop music. Her last few single releases were a big indication that long gone are the days of Visions which was the ultimate progression of her first two albums, which were a result of her limited abilities. But now, as a composer and producer, she can make more or less the sounds she wants.

That being said, I was expecting more. Her singles are better than most of the stuff on the album, the demo version of Realiti was better than the album version. A lot of the songs just fail to hit the mark, but that should have been anticipated, this is her first album length venture into the more pop sound, rather than the logical end of her original sound that was Visions. This is just her first steps into this new pop sound, it's all up from here, she has some great groovy tunes on here, worth the listen, might not be an album you listen to in full, but it's a start.
>>
>>60294160
Julia sure got shafted
>>
If mu says it's bad it must be good so I'll check it out and make up my own mind.
>>
>>60271520
It's a decent pop album. I like the melodies. textures, and layering.
8/10
>>
A lot of nice sounds coming from it

California was a nice jam, butterfly has a great melody. Disappointed in the realiti revamp but isnt 'bad' just not as good.

a lot of huge pop influences but that isnt bad. most of it sounds well done and I am looking forward to multiple listens

better than visions IMO
>>
i wouldnt even buy it if it were an N64 game
>>
She performed at FYF 2014 when I was there and people were going apeshit. I didn't give a damn, I was too busy enjoying Boris's onslaught of static.
>>
>>60294995

>decent
>8/10

Y'all niggas need to learn how to rate shit
>>
>>60295935
A lot of 8/10 albums exist. Very few above an 8.5/10 on the other hand.
>>
>still listening to the ratings of music critics
>still not reading the article and thinking for yourself instead of fighting over a number
>>
It's her best album because it's her most focused and least strange.

Visions was a strange mishmash of half-finished ideas plugged into a shitty DAW. Art Angels is deliberately crafted and its way better because of that.

Anybody who says this is a 'selling out' album has no fucking clue about the kind of person Grimes is. She loves shitty pop music and for her to actually make her best album, it needed to be as close to that shitty pop music as possible while still being Grimes. She's a good pop songwriter and writes decent pop music, she's not some kind of groundbreaking genius.
>>
>>60272142

The old YouTube mix of reality is way more ambient and because of that it sounds deeply personal and introspective like the lyrics suggest it should be. That's the only reason why I'm on the fence about it.

It's still her best song.
>>
>>60273533

And every top 100 pop song ever ripped off Don't Stop Believin'. What's your fucking point? That pop music is generic? Wow what a revelation.
>>
This is obviously a throwback to early 00's pop/alt charts. I find it really cool in that sense.
>>
>>60296262
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
It's just plain and uninspired. Nice to listen to, but there's no depth whatsoever.
>>
so fucking poppy

7/10 imo
>>
>>60296515

Everybody who liked Grimes liked Grimes for being strange and quirky, but face it, aside from a few gems like Vanessa, Oblivion, and Genesis, the rest of it was forgettable garbage, half assed and unfinished ideas that she had that she couldn't fully realize because she was inexperienced and using terrible DAWs.

Art Angels is by far her most focused and complete album, and because of that, it's way better. People who are worried about this album being 'too poppy' literally don't know the kind of person she is. She loves shitty pop music, and just because her previous albums were strange, and underground for the most part, doesn't mean she actually has some kind of genius music sensibility. She likes pop music, she writes pop music, and for her to write better albums it's better that she has embraced that.
>>
File: bye california.jpg (96 KB, 1240x520) Image search: [Google]
bye california.jpg
96 KB, 1240x520
THIS
THIS MUSIC MAKES ME CRY
IT SOUNDS JUST LIKE MY SOUL
BUT IM NOT READY TO WIN, OH LORD
AND WHEN THE OCEAN RISES UP ABOVE THE GROUND
I'LL DROWN IN
CALIFORNIAAAAAAAA
>>
I really like Visions, but Art Angels sounds like it's produced to appeal to the masses.
>>
best songs:

California
Kill V Maim
Flesh Without Blood
Belly Of The Beast
Realiti (music video version, not on album)

imo
>>
Is Grimes in your league?

What does her bf look like?
>>
>>60297005
10/10's are not in my league, no.
>>
>>60282582
Fuckin' opinions, how do they work?
>>
>>60296921
Yeah it definitely is what she wants to sound like but i do not enjoy that sound as much as i enjoy visions for example. She can do what she wants but it doesn't make me like it more.
Not the guy you are replying by the way.
>>
i liked it
starts rough but finishes very strong
>>
>>60297018
but Grimes is a 4/10
>>
its a super exaggerated pop sound. her vocal melodies are top notch. /mu/ cant into music.
>>
>>60297691
In what realiti? She's a 8/10 at her worst.
>>
>>60297691
grimes is a Saturn/10. pls
>>
Kill V. Maim is one of the best songs of the year
>>
>>60297745
she's a 6.510 at her best normally a 4.8/10, stop being delusional
Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.