[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exuma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 718ZVmVXSfL._SX425_.jpg (35 KB, 425x382) Image search: [Google]
718ZVmVXSfL._SX425_.jpg
35 KB, 425x382
Where did this album come from?
Why does no one talk about this album?
Someone help me find more
>>
it was talked about more frequently in 2014
>>
It used to be talked about a lot, but spamming OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DAMBALAAAAAAAAA COME DAMBALAAAAAAAAAAAAA got old.

Anyway, Exuma was a dude from the Bahamas who ended up moving to New York for work. He played in New York's folk scene for fun, and he made friends with some prominent people like Dylan. Eventually, he got the support to make an album. He got himself, his girlfriend (who did lots of backing vocals), and a bunch of other Bahamian musicians in the studio and made some albums. He got big in the Bahamas, made a bunch of records, but he lost his touch and died alone in an old shack in Florida after an old fan was working with him to get a new album out.

Exuma I is the most popular, though Exuma II is just as good. I also think Do Wah Nanny is as good as well, but people will fight that. Anything after that is less folk music and more reggae music to appeal to people in the Bahamas.

There's nothing really like early Exuma out there, but try listening to some actual Junkanoo and other Caribbean folk if you're okay with it being less weird.
>>
>marry a woman
>she's actually a big black bird

Why is this allowed?
>>
>>63150964
you're so worldly bro
>>
>Where did this album come from
70's era Bahamas

>Why does no one talk about this album?
It's not exactly obscure, but it's not exactly the most well known thing here on /mu/

>Someone help me find more
Look for Exuma's other albums. A lot of people also bring up Exuma when talking about Animal Collective's Sung Tongs. Personally, I don't see any sort of connections or similarities (other than being off-kilter Freak Folk music, but whatever), but hey, maybe you might find something.
>>
Oh, and if you want to get into Exuma's later work, there's a few albums that have been missing for decades.

>>63151112

I'd say it's obscure if you're not a RYM or /mu/ user. Hell, it's nearly impossible to find information about Exuma after Exuma I.
>>
>>63151158
Of course, when I say obscure, I mean in the context of RYM and /mu/.
>>
>>63151158
>>63151175

Shit, I mean "when I say it's not exactly obscure", I mean it in the context of /mu/ and RYM
>>
File: 61iToxtIFML._SS500_.jpg (65 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
61iToxtIFML._SS500_.jpg
65 KB, 500x500
You'll probably like Baha Men a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3gOBevcyEM
>>
>>63151238

Baha Men are actually a pretty interesting junkanoo band that deserve to be known for more than a novelty hit.
>>
>>63151238
I don't know how to feel about this.

I really like the song. But Baha Men are considered a joke (especially for their breakout song)
>>
File: belafonte.jpg (24 KB, 400x394) Image search: [Google]
belafonte.jpg
24 KB, 400x394
Who here likes Harry Belafonte?
>>
Check out their early stuff and stop when they get to the sellout phase. (The part where Steve Greenberg bought their souls and made them open for Hanson.)
>>
File: calypso_is_like_so_cover_375.jpg (109 KB, 379x375) Image search: [Google]
calypso_is_like_so_cover_375.jpg
109 KB, 379x375
>>63151268
I never got super into them but the little I've heard here and there isn't awful.
I like the bass in this song. It reminds me of Liquid Liquid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JiExYotBbc

>>63151301
Obviously.
>>
Exuma is literally the Bahaman folk Beefheart
>>
favorite album :)
I never post it here though because memers will ruin it
>>
>>63152645
agreed
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.