[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 15
File: protip you cant.png (46 KB, 1000x838) Image search: [Google]
protip you cant.png
46 KB, 1000x838
Well?
>>
File: RAE SREMM.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
RAE SREMM.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
UNLAHHHH
>>
it bumps in the whip
>>
I'm going to assume you're talking about hip hop here.
The burden is on you to discredit it first. I have nothing to defend it from at the moment.
>>
>>55470220
it's lyrical and has an enjoyable sound
>>
I like how it sounds to my ears, music's all subjective anyway.
>>
>>55470263
/thread
>>
Impossible. Rap is the plebbiest of all genres, devoid of both talent and depth. Only ironic shitposters and children will defend it.
>>
>>55470271
lol
>>
>>55470267
Lyrical individual, mystical, metaphorical, criminal.
>>
The musical technique or genre?

This is how you properly determine a troll post amongst a sea of troll posts.
>>
>>55470267
>it's lyrical
So is any music with words.
>and has an enjoyable sound
Hip-Hop is musically more shallow and derivative than any other genre.
>>
>>55470286
If I like the sound of something, I'll listen to it. If you don't like how it sounds or if it's annoying or whatever then don't fucking listen to it.
>>
>>55470302
haha Filthy Frank xD
>>
>>55470220
When hip hop is done well the rappers usually have good phrasing, interesting lyrical wordplay and rhyme schemes, very good rhythmic sense that will play well to the beats and flow nicely, good diction, nice tone, etc.
It's a lot more based on ornamentation, phrasing and rhythm so if that isn't enough for you the. You probably won't like very much hip hop because it generally doesn't strive for much harmonic or melodic complexity.
>>
File: 1365016455577.png (155 KB, 500x532) Image search: [Google]
1365016455577.png
155 KB, 500x532
>>55470285
>thinking rap is a genre
>>
>>55470220
like y'all do realize the #1 reason madvillainy was so sick was because at the time of 2004 we were still coming down from the high of dipset and outkast and hi-end 00s rap and 00s pop was just starting to hit it's peak stride

so along comes mr. dumile to provide the complete leftfield perspective

but now it's been almost 10 years since madvillainy and the culture's completely changed. everyone and their mother have copied lofi, mumbly (not that DOOM mumbles but his copiers do), dilla-worshipping rap. DOOM releasing more music in that style and then fantano and all the internet congratulating them just goes to show that everyone is fucking irrelevant and stuck in the past

when you mention the music that's actually relevant, you get scoffed at. honestly back in 2004 only the hippest hipsters were rocking MF DOOM and the reactions were awfully similar to how i brought up Future + his league of AutoTuned disciples

something's happening. the last rick ross album has more white people who've never taken hype-rap seriously, taking hype-rap seriously. even though the last rick ross album only really had sanctified on it and nothing else. but the culture is about to dramatically shift and y'all are going to look like fucking irrelevant plebs who never knew what was up if you keep hyping this fucking lofi irrelevant pinata aesthetic
>>
>>55470307
yeah, but lyrics are at the forefront on Hip-hop most of the time.
>Hip-Hop is musically more shallow and derivative than any other genre.
any reasoning behind this or just your opinion?
>>
>>55470263
>I'm going to assume you're talking about hip hop here.

Not all of it no, just rap.

>>55470267
>Its lyrical

Wrong

>>55470306
The subgenre

>>55470356
>thinking its not
>Fantano image

No suprise
>>
>>55470220
cowboy dan is major player in a cowboy scene
>>
there's nothing wrong with it. it's just simple music for simple-minded people.
most people don't care about harmony or melody and at the same time like the hypnotic repetition.
leave us alone and let us enjoy our music, ok?
>>
It's fun. What do you have against fun?
>>
>>55470359
hat's my point! rick ross' music has always been popular, because it was riding the hype-rap aesthetic that's been slowly bubbling, but for some weird reason, his last release finally convinced white dudes on the fence about hype-rap that it was worth investigating the genre. it's not so much that ross is relevant as it is the proof that hype rap is the most relevant genre, because now stragglers are finally coming around to what most in-tune people have been rockin since gucci and young jeezy were out

>tfw gucci mane is actually the original innovator of the most relevant sub-genre in 2014

madvillainy is only overrated because people get stuck on it longer than they should have. it wasn't overrated at the time and in its own context it's still a fantastic listen. the problem is people hear it for the first time in 2015 and act like 'omg this is what rap is supposed to sound like' no bro, you're just hearing 10 year old music for the first time
>>
File: 1426202117073.png (330 KB, 368x386) Image search: [Google]
1426202117073.png
330 KB, 368x386
bangers
>>
File: 1365015975045.jpg (224 KB, 999x1149) Image search: [Google]
1365015975045.jpg
224 KB, 999x1149
>>55470366
rap is a vocal delivery style. You can have hip-hop without rap and rap without hip-hop, its not a genre
>>
>>55470366
>>Its lyrical
>Wrong
what?
>>
>>55470220
Prepare for 300 posts with synonyms for "it's good."

Hip hop fans, especially on /mu/, don't really know much about music so they'll use as many vague buzzwords as possible.
>>
rap music does something special that other genres can't. the distinct focus on rhythm provided by the artist in the form of the style of lyrical delivery, what we call "rapping" is a hypnotic experience that is pleasurable and rewarding especially when the artist is a master of their craft, it's not as easy as you might think it is to form a flow and hone your cadence in a way not only unique to you but that also utilizes rhyme scheme and literary devices effectively however you choose to do so.
>>
>>55470400
Its a subgenre and a vocal style.

Why am I even explaining this basic level shit to a Fantano retard.
>>
I want you to think about what a 'club banger' really is. do you HAVE to listen to a 'club banger' in the club? is it possible that there's an entire mindset forming where all the newest rappers and producers are transferring the 'club banger' outside of the club? is the very act of having fun in an age of over-analysis, vague lofi and pretension actually revolutionary? is it better to have fully-formed songs over shoddy LP for-the-internet concept albums, even if there are some so-so lines? is the whole of the vibe more important than whether or not Future is dropping a pun here and there?
>>
What's there to say about it? It takes the elements of pop and turns it into something much less simple than pop.
>>
>>55470407
Implying you can define why you like any genre without buzzwords
>>
>>55470423

calling rap a genre is like calling guitars a genre
>>
>>55470400
http://search.credoreference.com/content/topic/rap_music?searchId=76e15558-edc0-11e4-a808-12c1d36507ee
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/665039/rap

Harvard and Encyclopedia Britannica disagree with you.
>>
>>55470476
Is yodelling a genre?
>>
>>55470485
>muh rich school
>>
File: gamergator.jpg (273 KB, 1024x699) Image search: [Google]
gamergator.jpg
273 KB, 1024x699
>>55470455
>he hasn't studied musical theory
>>
>>55470356
it's just any easy way to say hip-hop with rapping in it
>>
>>55470497
>It's too prestigious to count!
Never heard this one before.
>>
There are two kinds of people you should avoid all musical discussion with:

- People who listen exclusively to hip hop
- People who don't listen to hip hop at all
>>
>remember, white metal written by whites is the only worthy music genre. kill all the non-whites.
>>
File: smilingjapaneseman.jpg (23 KB, 414x425) Image search: [Google]
smilingjapaneseman.jpg
23 KB, 414x425
>discounting any genre just for being that genre

The surest sign of a pleb.

You realize that you're literally on the same level as uggs-girl who listens to "everything except classical and country," right?
>>
>>55470220
It subscribes to a culture that celebrates manhood. Even girls like some hip hop. If you're a masculine guy and you don't enjoy hip hop I don't know what to say to you. It's not as musically significant as many other genres, but the sound is that of style and testosterone. The only guys that I've met and know that don't enjoy hip hop are incredibly pretentious and not even very smart. Even the smartest people I know respect DOOM, Dilla and 2pac.
>>
>>55470498
Implying that'll help you define why something is good

Name your most listened to genre and then tell me why it's "good" then tell me why you like it whilst describing its components without buzzwords.
>>
>>55470485
and actual hip-hop artists disagree with that, which are you gonna side on, the piece with minimal investigation done on it or people who live it?
>>
>>55470522
There is one kind of person you should avoid all musical discussion with:

- People who try to invalidate another person's opinion because they don't happen to enjoy music from a specific genre.

I'll assume that you listen to every known genre in the world else you are suggesting that hip hop has more value than other genres. Or maybe you're just another popular western music loving hypocrite.
>>
>>55470220
honestly, to make rapping sound impressive it takes alot more than singing in other genres. in most genres lyrics are like another instrument, they take on the tone and inflection of the other instruments and allow the other instruments to dictate their pitch and rhythm. but in alot of music with rap, the lyrical content is at the forefront and in itself must carry a beat, with any good rap, the listener should be able to listen to the song without any beat and be able to pick out the rhythm, and jam to it. that is what is impressive with rap, the ability to carry a beat with your voice. and im not saying rappers are inherently more talented, i dont think so at all. but it is easier to sing to a song that's being carried by drums and bass and guitar than to rap over a beat. there's tons of shit rappers, but the one's that do it will should be respected because it's alot harder than you might think
>>
>>55470555
>and actual hip-hop artists disagree with that
[citation needed]
>>
>>55470522
Correct
>>55470567
Reaching
>>
>>55470302
dont forget spiritual
>>
File: 1419791728149.png (87 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1419791728149.png
87 KB, 396x385
>>55470220
>tfw want to make a mixtape but my voice is shite
>>
>>55470485
>old rich white peoples definitions of hip hop are the most valid

only on /mu/
>>
>>55470579
i.e. how many covers of the song 'hallelujah' are there? and alot of them sound beautiful. but try taking the song gopher guts by aesop rock or kon queso by MF doom and see how many people can succesfully rap or sing over that beat and make it sound beautiful. you'd be hard pressed
>>
>>55470536
this is the only sensible, articulate post I've ever seen on 4chan
>>
>>55470538
You can defend something without using meaningless vague buzzwords. Taste is subjective, but most hip hop fans are ill equipped to discuss music in the same way that fast & furious fans will have a hard time explaining why their movies are good.
>>
>>55470596
>quoting yourself

Sorry, how is it reaching? Why does everyone have to like hip hop?

Do you like country music? Afrofunk? Tibetan throat music? Why do you get to decide which genres are more important than others?
>>
>>55470632
would be a good analogy but there is actually some good hip-hop and there most certainly isn't any good fast & furious movies
>>
>>55470626
It's got some good points but hiphop isn't inherently masculine-sounding, that's really ignorant. Listen to Nujabes, one of the most legendary hiphop musicians and his music is way more feminine than anything. Countless other examples of this as well.
>>
>>55470611
more like
>skinny white guilt trustfund hipsters writing essays on memerap

That pretty much describes /mu/ minus the intelligence and money.
>>
>>55470666
In what world is Nujabes one of the most legendary hiphop musicians?
>>
>>55470660
I don't dislike hip hop, but hip hop fans on /mu/ are not very bright. I'm also not going to pretend that hip hop is technically very impressive.
>>
>>55470243
I have a hunch they're faggots
>>
>>55470656
That's not me OP, and you're looking pretty fucking desperate at this point.

Hiphop, or "rap" as you insist on calling it, is more relevant to global culture than any of the obscure genres you're listing. Every single country on earth has a budded or growing hiphop scene, that tends to be more way more popular than their "throat-singing" scene. Thus, if someone completely discounts hiphop and doesn't even take the time to indulge in it just to at least learn about it, then they're revealing themselves as being largely ignorant about the state of music as it exists globally in 2015.
>>
>>55470666
You have a point, I'm not >>55470626 but I wasn't set on anything longer. At its heart hip hop is about the male, it's foundation is the celebration of poor male problems (surrounding black people in the ghetto) but it has evolved beyond that. I still believe that the biggest appeal and the most celebrated "musicians" for lack of a better word adhere to the tried and true male-oriented focus.
>>
>>55470476
>>55470555
>>55470611
Rap - hip hop subgenre centered around rapper and producer
Turntablism - hip hop subgenre centred around turntablists art
Instrumental - hip hop subgenre centred on beats
Trip hop - hip hop subgenre centred on downtempo, jazz-, funk-, and soul-inflected experimental breakbeat music

The list goes on....
>>
>>55470626
If you think that post was either of those things you're likely a pseudo intellectual teenager like the person you quoted.
>>
>>55470536
>Even the smartest people I know respect DOOM, Dilla and 2pac.

ahahahahaha you must know some dumb fucking people
>>
>>55470307
>more shallow
well, no way to quantify that, also quite a broad generalization
>more derivative
it's as original as it is derivative. It uses elements from other songs, sure, but that's part of the appeal for me - seeing how people use previous resources. A good track doesn't have a shitty sample.
Also though, if you're talking about "rap" as in the delivery form, you can't say it's derivative, because the lyrics would be as derivative as anything else. Samples come as part of hip hop as a whole

also, ignoring good posts here
>>55470419
>>55470442
>>55470536
>>55470579
>>
>>55470656
it's not so much that you have to listen to everything to be able to make a statement on the matter
it's more the idea that people should be versed in music as a whole before making statements on the matter, and hip hop, being one of the more prominent genres in recent years, shouldn't be neglected nor excluded for that purpose

you're just a tad bit frustrated, might wanna calm down a bit
>>
>>55470709
even not on /mu/ most "hip-hop heads" are not very bright. but although there could be debate to how technically impressive hip-hop is, that doesn't mean it's not good music, or music than can evoke emotion
>>
>>55470692
This one?
>>
>>55470724
I'm the "quoted" poster and I don't need to affirmation from the likes of you, especially considering that concrete discussion on 4chan is about as intelligent as a Comic Con convention.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>55470712
I'm not OP.

>Hiphop, or "rap" as you insist on calling it, is more relevant to global culture
Um, no. Hiphop is more relevant to western culture. Hip hop is not very relevant to the vast majority of the world. Please tell me how much the most populous countries in China and India care about the latest Kendrick Lamar album. This is woefully ignorant.

Secondly, the cultural relevance of a genre of music should have no bearing on the personal enjoyment of it. Tibetan throat singing might be popular in the northern regions of China but that doesn't mean you're opinion is invalidated if you live their and don't enjoy it.

Thirdly, there's a difference between not actively listening to music you don't enjoy and discounting an entire genre before even hearing it. It's sad that I've needed to point this out to you, but I'm sure you've heard enough Tibetan throat singing music to disregard that "scene." You're not a hypocrite, right?
>>
>>55470782
>"quoted"
>I don't need to affirmation from
>Comic Convention convention

wow...you showed him
>>
>>55470741
Nigga you couldn't rap like fucking 2Chainz if you tried your best. Just because you don't understand the culture doesn't mean you have to demean it. If you don't like it, then ignore it, bashing other people because they happen to enjoy a certain collective of sounds is the most asinine quality a person can possess. I have more respect for terrorists than fucks like you, at least they know how fucking terrible they are.
>>
>>55470749
I'm not frustrated. It is pretty annoying when people try to invalidate your argument by attacking its non-existent tone though.

>it's more the idea that people should be versed in music as a whole before making statements on the matter

Again, I'd actually like to know your knowledge on both all "prominent" western genres and more "prominent" eastern genres. Are you also well verse in enough music to make such sweeping statements? Not that your original post suggested this, all you said is that people who don't listen to hip hop are not worth talking to.
>>
>>55470844
actually from what i've seen and read about terrorism, a good portion of them don't have any idea that what they are doing is wrong because they are young adults that have been brainwashed since they were babies. and a good portion of the rest of them do it because of their religion and for some reason justify it. i feel like most terrorists actually think what they are doing is right , unfortunately. although i agree with everything else you said
>>
All of rap is just a sub-genre of top-40 pop, with a "urban" paint job.

This music doesn't stand the test of time, it's a fad. That's why rappers are discussed about like fashion. Image/fashion/numbers sold are actually considered when talking about them.

Rap is just a really cheap/lazy form of music anyways. The majority of rap beats are just stealing (MUHH "SAMPLING") another artist's music, looping it over a generic drumbeat while someone raps over it. The "technical aspects" of rapping are not hard at all. That's why there's 14 year old white girls on YouTube uploading themselves flowing with ease and speed, dropping multis like it's nothing. But because they don't fit the image of a rapper, no one would take seriously. I've listened to it all from backpacker shit (cLOUDDEAD, dalek) to the "golden days" to 90's, to "experimental" (Death Grips), etc.

Rap is not quality music. It's more of a guilty pleasure, like fast food. I guess it can taste good for a little while, until you realize how cheap and unhealthy it is.
>>
>>55470805
I never said China cares about American rap. But they definitely care about Chinese rap, which does exist and is fucking huge. Every major country has a huge rap scene, like I said.
>reading comprehension

My point was that someone who "never listens to hiphop," which is the kind of person that one guy said you shouldn't argue with, is ignorant about a hugely relevant movement in modern music. Which makes their opinion inherently less valid. Tibetan throat singing isn't sweeping the globe, it's less relevant and someone discounting it is way less indicative of a disregard for music in general. It's also completely irrelevant to this discussion.

I will restate what that poster said:

>There are two kinds of people you should avoid all musical discussion with:

>People who listen exclusively to hip hop
>People who don't listen to hip hop at all

If you "don't listen to hiphop at all," then you're ignorant about modern music. It's that relevant. This is a fact.
>>
>>55470844
i support this

i don't hate on metal or anything like it because I couldn't make it. so i don't get why people hate on hip hop/rap/whatever they're calling it

>hurr durr i could chant bull shit about hoes and bitches and play a song behind it hurrrrrr
yeah good luck
>>
>>55470536

>Cuck: The Post
>>
>>55470877
Deep down anyone willing to do horrible shit for a nontangible being knows they're fucked up in the same vain that most posters on this website know their useless meatbags.
>>
File: 1378209871627.png (43 KB, 1000x838) Image search: [Google]
1378209871627.png
43 KB, 1000x838
>>55470220
Yeah, before doing that, I would like someone to do this first.
>>
>>55470359
>>55470359

You sound very, very new to hip hop. How are you gonna talk about hype rap without Flocka?

Hype rap will die in the next 5 years. It's too reliant on similar drum samples. Everyone's doing the same shit in terms of production and there are about 5-10 year cycles on this shit. 1988-1998 was drum breaks, boom bap, and the simple programmed drum beat. 1998-2004 had the neptunes, swizz beats style stuff when drum breaks were harder to clear. Sounds dated as fuck now too. After that simple 808 clap snare bass hi hat stuff came in, southern sound, then 2010 lex luger comes around and changes the beat game. People are still using his sounds. Of course you have the outliers. FlyLo created a whole new sound back 06 and in the past 5 years all I hear on soundcloud is either clones of him or lex. We basically have three to 4 styles running right now. Trap, Wonky, House revival, and Boom Bap revival.

All are pretty much run into the ground at this point (except house revival) and since people usually take a while to catch on, I'll predict by the end of the decade we'll all be sick of it. I know I am. Maybe it'll be faster because of the advent of the internet, but who knows.

All I know is this whole trap obsession is gonna be so corny in the future. I view it as an equivalent to the 80s awful drum machines. It won't sound much different, quote me on that.

I agree with you gucci is a legend and definitely changed the game in his own right. "Hype" rap won't last that much longer in it's current form, it's need a more extreme, skilled, and artistic version if it's gonna not be laughed at in 10 years.
>>
>>55470220
rap, as of rap music. is a brilliant story about a daily life of a black person in the us of a
>>
>>55470926
lots of bandwagoning also the n word is used as a crutch for a lot of rappers
>>
>>55470914
i know and accept that i'm a useless meatbag, and try to spread that message with everyone i know. people are all way too self-important.
>>
>>55470931
>not including backpackers in your timeline
do you even kanye
>>
>>55470946
Those aren't criticisms of the genre
>>
>>55470957
ummmm kanye a backpacker? he is the definition of mainstream, don't care what his intentions were when he started. that would be like calling the Beatles Indie rock
>>
>>55470957
You have no idea what you're talking about

That guy is talking about beats, now fans

You sound even newer to hiphop than the guy he quoted
>>
>>55470602
Miracle
>>
Daily reminder that the only people who hate rap are the nerds who were bullied in high school by those that love rap. Admit it, you don't hate it, you just try so hard not to like it because you loathe those that do, and that makes you a faggot.

Hip hop gives me a sense of self confidence that most other music never hits, I could care less about its stylistic complexity.
>>
>>55470941
>muh racism
>>
>>55471012
dont forget the majority of people over the age of 35
>>
Different strokes for different folks
>>
File: 1429370697222.jpg (905 KB, 1764x1946) Image search: [Google]
1429370697222.jpg
905 KB, 1764x1946
trip hop > instrumental > turntablism > rap = electro
>>
>>55470894
>Every major country has a huge rap scene, like I said.
Sorry, do you have a citation for your bullshit claims? Hip hop scenes do exist in the likes of India, China and places like Latin America but they are not the most popular kinds of music there by FAR. Every country probably has a scene for every genre of music, that doesn't mean shit. Again, what is your knowledge of Latin music which is king in South America? I'd like to know so I can disregard your opinion by your own logic. Not that this fucking matters when it comes to your personal enjoyment of a kind of music.

>If you "don't listen to hiphop at all," then you're ignorant about modern music. It's that relevant. This is a fact.

This is hyperbole though, since everyone who makes a decision to not listen to hip hop has listened to enough of it to decide it's not for them. There's a difference between thinking your personal opinion of hip hop should apply to everyone else and personally not enjoying a type of music. Again, there are plenty of very popular and culturally relevant genres. Do you know how insanely popular nu-metal and post grunge are (or at least were about ten years ago). Can I call you ignorant working under the assumption that you don't listen to those genres at all?
>>
>>55471012
>bullied in high school by those that love rap

Niggers?
>>
>>55470220
Rap is a form of cultural expression through music. I don't have to defend it.
>>
>>55471012
>Hip hop gives me a sense of self confidence

Acting like a wigger is a sad way to get self confidence
>>
>>55471050
there it is.... yessss... use your anger, shit post anon
>>
>>55470957
I was getting to that, reply getting too long

>>55470931
the boom bap revival could be seen in stuff like Pinata, or Joey Badass, your old droog, and it's my personal favorite type of stuff in hip hop, but the beats will be seen lacking unless they incorporate new ideas into it, which no one seems to be doing. It will stagnate as well until someone innovates the style in that regard.

"Backpack" rap has been around since the 90s, and it's always been in the underground. It will always have that niche, but they're not capitalizing on interest right now. People like same old same old, but people really like same old with a new twist.

Of course Kanye had a big influence on the culture in general, but not many seem to ape his beats (ignoring yeezus as it utterly worthless), not that they aren't capable. It just seems people would rather make the hardest bangers a la lex luger, metro boomin, shawty redd, mike will what have you. And mike will really is just a watered down version of lex. Idk man this whole trap thing is so fucking boring. Now we have slow dark trap with Drake, Kanye, Big Sean, Rihanna, Travis Scott, and now even Earl hopping on the bandwagon. This sound be ran into the ground over the next few years, and then a new big trend will arise.

No one is combining trap and boom bap, which is to me the most promising combination. That sound would be incredible, and no one's doing it, at least not properly. And I don't necessarily mean trap drums, more like the overall sound and energy in it. Cloud rap has a ton of potential as well, but people don't take influence from Clams, as much as they do Yung Gud. Yung gud is a decent producer, but I'm telling you those trap drums are the most cliche thing to use right now. Everyone is using them. The trap hi hats are on everything.
>>
>>55471027
Doesn't /mu/s resident old trip like hip hop though?
>>
>>55471027
>le i'm an old soul because i don't like le hip hope
>>
>>55471046
not the guy you replied to but i should remind you that popularity is gauged by the number of people who listen to that type of music. saying that nu-metal and post grunge were "insanely popular" is just fucking stupid. they were fairly popular at best in certain demographics of the population, but i can almost guarantee you that more people have heard Good Kid MAAD City more than any album from any nu-metal or post grunge band you can name ( i dont really like kendrick just using an obvious example)
>>
What exactly is there to defend Hip Hop from?

I don't understand your question.
>>
>>55471112
i actually quite enjoy hip-hop. but its totally true. i think ive only ever met 2 people over the age of 35 who listen to any hip-hop at all. and this is in NA where hiphop is more popular than pretty much anywhere else in the world
>>
File: wut.jpg (130 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
130 KB, 500x652
Rap, like all music, is just a way of telling a story, but stylized differently, musically and lyrically, in a unique and catchy way. Whether or not you enjoy it doesn't matter; others do, and that is that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOlvVO8mna0
>>
>>55471063
>You don't like hip hop anon? What are you, racist? lel
>>
>>55471012
You forgot to add a vague statement about virginity
>>
>>55471046
Latin American music isn't as widespread as rap is.

Rap is everywhere, in every country. This isn't a bullshit claim, it's a fact that anyone who is aware of global music in general would be privy to. You're exposing yourself as being totally ignorant.
>>
>>55471172
>Rap, like all music, is just a way of telling a story

ahahaha
>>
>>55471231
>Why are you so ignorant and racist anon? lel
>>
>>55471126
You have no idea what you're talking about. Seriously. Were you aware how big the post grunge movement was? Or Nu metal?

Look up how many records Creed sold, look up how many records Nickelback sold. Do you know how much of a hit superman by 3 doors down was? Or how big POD was back then?

I could name an album I'm positive more people have heard than good kid, Toxicity.

Kid Rock's album went DIAMOND motherfucker. you must be underage B&

Foo Fighters, the quintessential post-grunge band, had at least four consecutive platinum albums and tons of radio play. Don't say things if you don't what you're talking about.
>>
>>55471231
Everyone is aware of smooth jazz too, your point?
>>
This ususally shuts up my friends that say they don't like rap.

https://dreamjefferson.bandcamp.com
>>
>>55471261
>that terribly obvious promotion
kek.

>>55471231
This. Hip hop is the music of the world right now, akin to what rock was. It's a billion dollar genre.
>>
>>55471261
hey jefferson
>>
>>55471261
Yes, posting MORE memerap will really do the job.

Idiot.
>>
>>55471309
So is cheesy verse-chorus-verse pop music, and?
>>
File: wat.png (5 KB, 580x96) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
5 KB, 580x96
>>55471126
Sorry, maybe you're too young to know this but nu-metal and post-grunge was insanely popular in the early 2000s. I can guarantee you the average person knew more about Nickelback, Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park then whatever acclaimed indie album was popular at the time.

If you're going to pull the popularity card you should familiarize yourself with how well these bands have done. Insanely more popular than Kendrick Lamar is or ever will be.
>>
>>55471252
not the guy youre replying to but someone who didn't realize before now that every post grunge band is fucking terrible. any actual good ones? (i really dislike foo fighters btw if you think they count). also Kid rock, really?
>>
>>55471231
Most genres are in "every country" (though I do contest the number of rappers in places like Saudi Arabia). That doesn't mean rap is the most popular genre in those respected countries. Again, could you provide a citation that hip hop is the BIGGEST genre in the two most populous countries in the world (India and China) which easily make up over HALF of the world's population, or is this a case where western listeners are more important than eastern? You're the one who is truly ignorant.

But again, could you tell me why the fuck any of this means you should listen to a genre? Is this an appeal to popularity that doesn't even apply?
>>
>>55470220
you forgot sexism
>>
>>55471331
I'm just stating facts, anon. Cheesy pop music has been around since the music industry first came around. That's just a given. I guess I don't really know your point. Cheesy pop music is literally just mass marketed shit that gets radio play because it's easy on the ears. Hip hop is the movement, like rock was (even though they're heavily marketed garbage in the same way pop is.). It's like this; No one wanted to be a "pop" star, they wanted to be a rock star. Now, no one wants to be a "pop" star, they want to be a rapper (in general). That or a DJ.
>>
>>55471391
not the guy youre replying to but someone who didn't realize before now that every rapper is fucking terrible. any actual good ones? (I really dislike kanye west btw if you think he counts) also, kendrick lamar, really?
>>
>>55471410
and homophobia
and transphobia
>>
File: fedora.png (129 KB, 186x264) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
129 KB, 186x264
>>55470302

>all rap is criminals
>>
>>55471411
>No one wanted to be a "pop" star, they wanted to be a rock star
(not true by the way)

>Now, no one wants to be a "pop" star, they want to be a rapper (in general). That or a DJ.
(not true by the way)
>>
File: 82.jpg (563 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
82.jpg
563 KB, 900x720
>>55470220
Sometimes the genre produces something pretty good
That's defense enough in my mind for any genre out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9hwx-yn6-k
>>
>>55470977
try listening to the black album and college dropout
>>55470988
>he doesn't know what backpack rap is
>>
>>55471426
just curious, is there an "ism" for people who don't like gays? i've never understood the "phobia" suffix. its not like people who dont like gays are actually scared of them. ive always wondered this
>>
>>55471441
way to miss the point retard
>>
hey everybody ive been baiting and shitposting really hard this whole time. ive never enjoyed myself so much
>>
>>55471457
antigayism
>>
>>55471457
why would you hate something if you weren't scared of a consequence
for example, a religious family wouldnt support any homosexuality due to a fear of being damned
>>
>>55471250
>lel
>>55471254
smooth jazz isn't a big deal though.
>>55471309
boom, thank you
>>55471404
I'm not saying you SHOULD listen to anything. I'm just saying that when you say you think rap is not good music, there are tons of people (myself included) that don't think it's worth the time to get into a discussion with you. Ironically, I've already been doing this, but my rationale is that I'm trying to explain why this is. If you don't listen to hiphop, my opinion is that you haven't heard enough to find what you like, because it is such a sprawling and varied genre that I truly believe there is something in it for everyone. This isn't your opinion apparently, and that's okay.
>>
First of all, all rap is memerap. Secondly, it's a genre whose mainstream presence is dictated by jewish ceo's taking advantage of the urban hood culture. Secondly, rap uses samples from songs of older generations that are undoubtedly better off without being touched by filthy coloreds.
>>
>>55471457
Homophobia is the "ism" for discrimination against homosexuals. Phobia can be defined as either fear or aversion to, and in most cases homophobia applies to the latter. And personally, I'd say the "fear" part does often apply:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-big-questions/201106/homophobic-men-most-aroused-gay-male-porn
>>
>>55471511
>all rap is memerap
this meme again
>jews
/pol/ pls
>>
>>55471391
Kid Rock really went diamond. People loved/love him. I personally love him, devil without a cause is a good album IMO. Maybe even classic. No bullshit.

But, yeah pretty much all post grunge is awful shit, sorry anon. It's only valuable as nostalgia for me. Post grunge is usually just butt rock. Local H had that decent single, cky has some cool songs, but yeah it's pretty much a crap shoot.

Failure is "space" grunge, basically the first to do something post grungey and they're pretty good.

Nu metal usually has more good songs as opposed to post grunge, but its usually pretty shitty as well. It's all a matter of taste.
>>
>>55471507
>smooth jazz isn't a big deal to me though
Fixed that for you. Kenny G has vastly outsold Kendrick Lamar's entire discography with one album.
>>
>>55471442
Okay let's just ignore the fact that rock and hip hop are global movements okay anon.
>>
>>55471525
Look up any big mainstream hip hop label and see who is the CEO. I'm daring you to.
>>
>>55471522
thanks, i never knew phobia could also mean an aversion to. today i actually learned something on /mu/
>>
>>55471554
it isn't a big deal to the majority of the world in 2015. you're citing the sales of an album that's like 20 years old. totally irrelevant to this discussion.

also why do people keep bringing up kendrick lamar? are you guys aware of any other rappers at all?
>>
>hip hop
>global movement

lel, name 5 UK rappers.

PROTIP: Grime and garage are NOT rap.
>>
>>55471527
hmm. my question mark was to indicate that i didn't believe kid rock was post-grunge. ill admit i havent heard alot of his music, but from what i've heard i wouldn't have expected him to be classified as post-grunge
>>
>>55471568
G.O.O.D. Music
>>
>>55471581
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Rappers_from_London
>>
>>55471579
>it isn't a big deal to the majority of people that belong to my demographic group
Again, fixed that for you. I'm not even anti hip hop, but you have a very narrow world view.
>>
>>55471568
Ronald "Slim" Williams, dumbass
>>
>>55471616
>PROTIP: Grime and garage are NOT rap.
>>
I can understand blacks liking hiphop, but Wiggers are just silly.
>>
>>55471617
Dude you're acting like a retard. Kenny G and smooth jazz in general are not a big deal in the world today, which is the point of this discussion. Rap is all over the top 40 of every developed country on earth. The last Kenny G album to go over Gold was over 15 years ago. Stop baiting.

>>55471640
>they're not rapping if I say they aren't!
>>
>>55471593
ooh know I thought we were talking nu metal/post grunge not just post grunge.
>>
>>55471507
>I'm just saying that when you say you think rap is not good music, there are tons of people (myself included) that don't think it's worth the time to get into a discussion with you
And that's completely retarded. You're welcome to not want to talk to me about hip hop if I don't like it. That makes sense. But you're seriously going to invalidate EVERY other opinion someone has because they don't enjoy the genre you do? That's ignorant as shit.

Again, all I can say is that if you were held to that standard, you'd instantly be ignored by the majority of the world. I could make the same argument that any genre you don't like you just don't understand since you haven't listened to enough of it yet (assuming you've yet to listen to every post grunge band ever). Citing popularity or relevance is a shitty appeal to popularity and not even true, as you can't even provide any fucking citations for your retardation.
>>
>>55471640
>implying all of that list were grime/garage artists
wew lad
>>
>>55471658
oh yeaa, totally forgot
>>
>>55471656
>le only "developed" westernized nations are worth noting
smh

btw, One Direction was the best selling artist of 2013 and Disney's Frozen soundtrack was the best selling album of 2014. Since we're appealing to popularity and relevance, I'd like to know about your personal knowledge of children's music so I can disregard everything you have to say about music.
>>
I enjoy listening to it. That's it.
>>
>>55471678
You haven't said anything that makes you seem like you've heard even one single hiphop song. I've gained nothing from discussion with you besides "b-but what about Tibetan throat-singing you p-p-pleb!" If you'd had anything interesting or thoughtful to say about hiphop, positive or negative, I would have felt like this conversation wasn't in vain. However, you've proven the exact reason why we don't engage people like you, because you act like petulant children. Because you're totally delusional. Relevance to musical movements is not an appeal to popularity, it's about being aware of modern music and how its landscape is changing constantly. Rap is a huge influence on the flux of music as it exists in 2015 and to deny that is to just be insistent on your own ignorance. Go back to your wrong generation shit if you're gonna be that backwards about this.
>>
>>55470220
A lot of rap artists are incredibly talented lyricists. While most rap is pretty trite, some is very thought-provoking and political, moreso than most rock or pop.

In addition, rap production is a really amazing artform, with characteristic tropes and techniques that even people who hate rap can appreciate. Rap drumming is really distinctive, and is emulated by a lot of non-rap artists, including Radiohead and Weezer.
>>
>>55471763
>Rap drumming is really distinctive, and is emulated by a lot of non-rap artists, including Radiohead and Weezer.
To be fair, that's fucking awful Radiohead and Weezer
>>
>>55471763
>some is very thought-provoking

Kek

>dis diqq ain't free nigguh
>>
>>55470946
I see nigga as the same way "yea" "oh" "babe" and like are used in rock songs, kinda a place holder word that doesnt really mater
>>
>>55471752
The funny this is that I actually LIKE hip hop (listening to Jerimiah Jae right now) I just think that worldview is incredibly stupid and fucking ignorant. I will listen to what someone has to say even if they don't enjoy the same artists that I do. That's part of being an adult. You're not even capable of taking criticism without immediately hurling retarded insults about "le wrong generation" so clearly you have nothing of value to say. You're the reason people hate hip hop fans now fuck off.
>>
>>55471730
>implying children's music is relevant to any one but kids and mom's buying cds they think are "appropriate" for their kids
>implying boy bands are relevant to a musical discussion when they are literally created to sell and make as much money as possible
>implying a soundtrack to the biggest movie in the world at the time is relevant to a musical discussion when it was literally made to make as much money as possible
>implying there aren't masses of families that bought either of those just to make their kid happy
>implying anything could compete with disney in terms of popularity or relevance
>>
>>55470220
During the time of "golden-age" hip hop, alot of teh music that came out of hip hop represented the voice of young black americans e.g. listen to early BDP.
>>
>>55471848
My point was that I won't listen to someone who says they "don't listen to hiphop at all," which implies ignorance. I won't listen to what an ignorant person has to say.

If you're aware of the genre, have explored it and you've decided it isn't for you, then I'll discuss it with you.

Unfortunately you're so fucking inept at debate that you insisted on starting a huge argument about semantics. You're the one you keeps going on about calling me a retard and using "le." Keep lowering the bar of discussion around here friend, and you can fuck off as well.
>>
>>55471854
>implying rappers's music is relevant to any one but white teenagers and young black men buying cds they think are "appropriate" for their image
>implying pop artists are relevant to a musical discussion when they are literally created to sell and make as much money as possible
>implying an album to the biggest pop stars in the world at the time is relevant to a musical discussion when it was literally made to make as much money as possible
>implying there aren't masses of teenagers that bought MBDTF just to make mu/reddit happy
>implying anything could compete with memes in terms of popularity or relevance

(not sure how the last one helps your argument tho)
>>
>>55471907
People who say they don't listen to hip hop at all are using hyperbole to illustrate that they're not into that genre. Only a true pedantic autist like you would get angry at them and think they mean that they've literally never heard a hip hop song in their life and loathe it for no reason whatsoever.
>>
>>55471908
>thinking only white teens and black men are rap fans
>thinking pop music (The Beatles) isn't hugely relevant to the very foundation of how music is written
>thinking mu/reddit is big enough to cause "masses" of people to buy an album
>thinking about memes
>>
ITT: young, insecure people trying to justify their newly-acquired taste/distaste for a genre of music
>>
File: hat man.jpg (42 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
hat man.jpg
42 KB, 469x463
>>55471915
Stay mad because you lost our argument buddy
>>
>>55471951
sad, but true.
>>
>>55471933
>he thinks that young men aren't the primary audience for hip hop
>he thinks only "good" pop is important while "bad' pop doesn't count
>he thinks kids don't buy pop albums to appeal to their schoolmates
>he thinks that all these implications are memes/shitposts
>>
>>55471961
Yep, you can tell someone has won an argument when they've declared themselves the winner and started hurling insults.
>>
>>55471986
ur nothin' but a bitch ass nigga fam
>>
>>55471986
So mad
>>
>>55471908
>Implying rappers

Rap and the BEAT is relevant. The trap sound is used in advertising for stuff like APPLE, ARBY'S, REVLON...

Rap music is relevant to EVERYONE in my generation man. Everyone likes at least one rapper. White black mexican it doesn't matter.

>implying pop

Most rappers aren't "created", they come and bring their unique perspective through whatever life experience they have. They have "lanes". Not all of them are "pop artists"

>implying an album

See Yeezus, didn't make a whole lot of money did it?

>Implying there aren't masses of teens that bought MBDTF

can't argue, I don't know people's motives for buying music other than they want to buy and listen

>Implying anything could compete with memes
what. Disney is the most massive corporation in the world, are you seriously comparing someone like Kanye or Future to disney?
>>
Lo and beholde, ye worthy folk of London: rap is shyte.
>>
>>55472141
Blur isn't rap tho
>>
Social awareness
>>
>>55470888
playing a song with guitars is magnitudes easier than digging for samples and fitting them together in ways that work and sound good.
>muh stealing
>>
What is the point of this thread
>>
>>55472259
b8
>>
>>55471313

Anyone who uses the term "meme rap" = major fegget

This whole thread is a face/palm generator.
Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.