[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - music production general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 10
File: 70869_Ableton_Serious_Error_02.jpg (42 KB, 531x257) Image search: [Google]
70869_Ableton_Serious_Error_02.jpg
42 KB, 531x257
>a serious program error has occurred edition

Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music composition. Learn about music production software and techniques and talk about production-related gear.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WiPs
>soundcloud? are you serious?

We're making an album! (or trying to).
Check the next post for info.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki

Previous thread: >>53593078
>>
File: 1423197195884.jpg (231 KB, 885x886) Image search: [Google]
1423197195884.jpg
231 KB, 885x886
>>53623522
We're making an album! (or trying to).
How to join:
>Take a good look at this picture
>Be inspired by it
>that's it
Anything goes, feel free to find anons to collab and have fun with in any way you want. Or just work solo.
We're doing this for fun.
>>
>>53623522

http://youtu.be/fqpUfSx-5MA?list=PLgJRRELkteWkehHCThIG2G34_QQk-IHf-

This video of Japanese beatmakers has got me really inspired - check it out, very cool concept
>>
>>53623571
I love stuff like this thanks
>>
>>53623522
>soundcloud? are you serious?
this is vague to the point of uselessness, it doesn't say anything to the people who don't know the rule already
>>
>>53623571

I wonder how the weed in japan is
>>
>>53623674

thanks :^) this actually inspired me to start making beats out of tracks using only samples from the one track - it's good practice and fun

>>53623895

I certainly wouldn't want to get caught x_x
>>
I keep listening to music and having an idea of the kind of song that I want to make in my head but it's like vague bits and pieces. Like I'll have a couple seconds of this brilliant idea and then it'll vanish. And when I try to open up my DAW to get it down either I freeze up and can't recall it and just end up pumping out some mediocre sounding crap or I can only loop that one sound over itself for like the entire song.

How do I get really focused on what I'm making? So that it becomes less about "huh I guess this will sound good" and more about "I have this entire idea planned out and right here in my mind let's build it piece by piece"?

Am I making sense? I dunno.
>>
>>53623958

>Am I making sense?
Absolutely.
Same kind of symptoms here. I think that happens because I can't play any instrument.
>>
>>53623958
>"I have this entire idea planned out and right here in my mind let's build it piece by piece"
i don't think this ever really happens
i mean sure you learn how to use the various tools you have available to you and get better at knowing when each is needed but i think it's fairly rare to just know exactly what you're going to do and then do it flawlessly
>>
>>53624123
I guess it was the matter of you unable to convey the melody or groove you had spinning in your mind.
>>
>>53624123
>i mean sure you learn how to use the various tools you have available to you and get better at knowing when each is needed
Maybe that's part of it. I've been sticking to just some crappy freeware synths and Logic's stock drum machines because I told myself I wouldn't drop a bunch of money on this until I was sure I'm actually going to stick with it and make something cool and I sometimes feel a little restricted by that.

I dunno, though. I guess a lot of it is also being able to get my ideas down somewhere so that I don't come up with something great and then lose it by the time I get to my computer.
>>
>>53624339
don't be afraid to pirate stuff, no need to stick to freeware and default sounds. as for getting down ideas, most people seem to just use voice memos on their phones or little beatmaker apps or portable gear depending on what kind of ideas you have on the go and how you like to translate them.
>>
>>53623958
>How do I get really focused on what I'm making? So that it becomes less about "huh I guess this will sound good" and more about "I have this entire idea planned out and right here in my mind let's build it piece by piece"?

First of all get to know a handful of basic plugins really well, get to know how they work inside out for your basic delay, reverbs, compressors etc along with your DAW know how the basics you use work or again get to know it inside out.

Next spend years fucking around making stuff you enjoy.
Work out your basic work flow, where do you normally start? For instance if you start with making beats have your DAW setup so that all the drum tracks are already on the channels along with your basic effects you use for drums same goes for your sampler if you use that for beats, make sure it has multi outs and put your effects on each out. Do the same for all your other instruments.
When you feel like getting an idea down open up your DAW and everything should be set up and ready to go so you can get straight into your workflow.

Most importantly the more you write or use your daw and make music the better you will get you will naturally start to build tracks repetitively and over time you will create a style doing so.

I have mates that put in 8 hour days every day for years working in their studios when they first started, now they know their set up so well they know exactly what they are doing when they go to write a track, they know exactly what reverb and how much they want on their kick drum, they know exactly what sample they want and where to put it in the track. They work with minimal amounts of plugins and hardware but they know how it all works and the same with the synth sounds and sample selections. Sample library's have been built over the years, edited like crazy and all the weak samples cleaned out.

Keep it minimal, select a few good plugins and learn them well, same with gear, samples and your DAW.
>>
Okay here you go.

Experimental 170bpm

https://clyp.it/rhc3xshf
>>
>>53623895
i lived in okinawa and it's shit. weed cost like 10,000 yen(bout around $120 if the exchange rate is shit.) for alittle less than a gram if you don't have a connect with the yakuza( even then it's still expensive). spice and meth is much much more popular in japan
>>
>>53624825
A few years back I had pretty much every Waves plugin going along with a fuck tonne of other plugins (all pirated), recently I decided to get rid of all of them and only use a few and to buy the ones I use. Now I have probably 10 plugins along with the basic one that come with Logic.

If I need compression on something I chose between the 2 compressors I have (rather than 20 different ones) put it on the channel and it's done. I find this really handy. Same with all other effects. It also makes you work the few effects you have and I think it's better to have one really good delay than 50 delays.
>>
>>53624825
or don't if you don't feel like it's helping you to do any of these things. i get so tired of seeing variations of this post with the underlying tone that this is the "right" way to do it.
8 hours a day is just too much for some people and that doesn't mean that they aren't "cut out for this" or whatever other thing people try to say that that means.
there's also nothing wrong with having and learning lots of plugins... in fact i think it's better to use lots of plugins (maybe not lots, but more than 1) of each type not only for variety but just to get a sense of the different ways in which all the controls can be laid out and interact with one another. plus there are just some plugins with functions that other plugins of the same type don't have. there's no freeze on ableton's reverb like there is on pianoverb, for instance.
>they know exactly what reverb and how much they want on their kick drum, they know exactly what sample they want and where to put it in the track.
no offense, but i would never want to be this way. it just sounds like the total death of experimentation to claim you know exactly what you want to do before you've even sat down.
>>
What do you think of Todd Terje as a producer? I really love his stuff <3
>>
Whats the nicest sounding thing in music to you guys?
>>
>>53625316

a really well produced song that I love

I like a lot of songs that don't sound as good as they could, but when a song comes along that I really feel was done justice, it makes me giddy
>>
>>53625175
It was just an example of things that might help get ideas down and improve workflows, I'm not suggesting it's the RIGHT way at all.

Unfortunatly for me when some of my mates were spending 8 hours a day producing I was spending 12 hours a day working, so I never really spent that amount of time in my studio not every day anyway.

I never goto my DAW or any of my gear with any ideas like "I'm going to write this today". I normally sit down and fuck about with something until I like the sound then build on that, I never really have any plan of what I'm going to write or with what sounds.
>>
https://clyp.it/m24yruwj

Would love constructive criticism on this
>>
>>53623958

you can't plan it all out before hand

something that works for me well when i have writers block is to throw as many stupid samples and sounds into the track as i can without any premeditation, after some time the thought police shuts down and something speaks to you and you can get cracking
>>
>>53625316

well produced shakers get me every time, not enough people do them well
>>
>>53625175
>no offense, but i would never want to be this way. it just sounds like the total death of experimentation to claim you know exactly what you want to do before you've even sat down.

Also I didn't mean before they'd even sat down I ment as the basics of the track, also knowing how much compression to put on a kick is obviously variable but I could spend an hour fucking about trying to find how much compression sounds right if you spend a lot of time in a studio you know how much is right for what your trying to achieve
>>
>>53624991
doesn't sound worth it. I'd much rather be drunk in the hotel making beats anyway
>>
>>53625316
really high pitched twinkly stuff with reverb on the track
>>
https://clyp.it/jwwmsss2

Playing around with deathgrips vs. mathrock and this sounds alright as a first draft. I don't really know how to do transitions/automation that well so it sounds like a rough draft.
>>
Does anyone have any tips on how to NOT get shocked when working with a tube amp? I get shocked even when it's turned off and don't wanna ruin any of my equipment.
>>
could use some advice on where to take this mess..

https://clyp.it/yxjvezyi

>>53625430

really digging the vibes, once everything is mixed and thumping properly it'll be a real gem, get some funky bass in there

i keep expecting a sampled reverby saxophone or something to end up in there, maybe ive listened to too much trip hop
>>
>>53623958
Don't force it. In my experience, it's always best to experiment and discover things as you go, than having some grand idea in your head and trying to recreate it.
If you do the latter, the finished product will never be as good as what you originally envisioned and it can be pretty frustrating. Most of my best ideas weren't preconceived but just happy accidents.
>>
>>53626010
God dammit, those synths are great butt everything else is shite. Mix drums, layer them nicer, add some nice snares, stereo widen and pan some nice percs

whts ur sc
>>
>>53625916
check if it's grounded properly
after turning it off always keep it plugged in for some more minutes so the big ass capacitors can unload

that's the basic things but you maybe want a tech to check it
>>
>>53624967
>experimental 170bpm
Funny, I started working on the same thing. I really like how slowly yours builds up a very interesting atmosphere. I also love how clean your mix is. How did you manage it; EQ every track in a very detailed manner?

https://clyp.it/bbatdavu
I kinda already know where I'd take this but would like opinions of other anons; does it have potential, should I keep working on it? I already have something written but idk if I should put it in as spoken word over the track or just written in the track's description.
>>
>>53623571
this looks really cool
reminds me of rythm roulette
>>
>>53625916
Use something conductive like a screwdriver to ground it. Ideally it should be grounded by the plug, but I'm guessing it's some 2 prong BS. What amp is it?

I suggest taking it to a tech to replace the power cable and properly ground it. I do not suggest trying to fix it yourself, as you encounter 400VDC at high enough amperage to stop your heart.
>>
File: 1379043262559.png (170 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
1379043262559.png
170 KB, 500x455
>can't find Max MSP full torrent anywhere

anyone want to help me out?
>>
Could you suggest a decent mastering/finalizing tool that you can have good RMS output with? I used to work with T-Racks for some period until I realized I couldn't get a mix loud enough compared to some other tracks I used as a reference.
>>
File: Green World.png (193 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Green World.png
193 KB, 1024x768
Hows my artwork :^)
>>
>>53626020
this.
so fucking much
>>
File: Skream!_(album).jpg (143 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Skream!_(album).jpg
143 KB, 600x600
When making wobble dubstep bass do you usually route the LFO to the filter envelope or the amplitude envelope?

ty
>>
>>53626161
Just use PureData. It's just as difficult and it's made by the same guy, but it's also free.
>>
>>53626187
Why not both
>>
>>53626180

is this supposed to be album art or facebook emojis?
>>
>>53626199
>pure data
>free

holy shit for real? Is it based around programming like matlab? I dont know shit about either but im taking some programming classes (IT major) and would love if I could implement it into music production.
>>
>>53625568
it's not especially when you're american cause it's a federal offense; that's why people smoke meth and spice. and drinking is pretty much the norm there they have beer dispensers and you don't need an ID to use them and they're EVERYWHERE. weird thing is they have cig dispensers EVERYWHERE but you need an ID. they're more strict on cigs than alcohol which is pretty cool made highschool a blast for me and my friends since we could go to stores and they'd sell it to use not givin a shit. to get cigs we had to search for shops owned by old ass people and act like we were marines
>>
>>53626187

sub bass = amplitude

everything else = filter
>>
>>53624967
tight

>>53625316
real instruments in carefully constructed pieces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzSlmWQuHFw
>>
>>53626303
single art. am I vapor wave yet?
>>
>>53626341

perfect thank you so much <3
>>
>>53626341
wrong

>>53626297
right

music is not a construct, experiment and find your own sounds
>>
>>53626165
oxford inflator into any good limiter like the fabfilter pro-L
>>
>>53626180
alternate modern album cover for plantasia
>>
>>53626384

yes thats very clever of you but "usually" != "only"
>>
>>53626152
it's an ampeg B-15 from like 1965. it does have 2 prongs on the plug and doesn't have the ground. i have always been pretty careful with it and not until recently have i been getting shocked. i would never in my life try to fix it as i'm pretty amateur when it comes to electronics.
>>
>>53626419
haha I love that album
>>
>>53624967

digging the age of empires drum track
>>
>>53626457
>using plebtier !=
>not using masterrace =/=
get fuckin shigged on, kid
>>
SPEAKING OF PLANTASIA, What synths did they use on that album, they're beautiful
>>
>>53626474
lol I once tried to fix a ps3 and the capacitors still had juice in them. I grabbed the board with bare hands and shook back and forth like forth times before letting it go as fast as I could.

Nigger I swear I felt that shit in my eyes, my heart, brain and hands.
>>
>>53626161
I didn't get mine via torrent, it was a DDL from somewhere. Got it a while ago though.
>>
>>53625430
Hnnng; we flylo now. Love how cool, under the filter everything is. And how the hihats come in with the downpitched bass note. This really is great. Personally i'd add a real world sample like rain or cars or trains to really bring it to life like something that's really happening along reality, cus the essence of the feel is already there. Or right where the clyp ended add some base notes and go from there.

I'm >>53626107 would love some feedback, criticism, r8 h8 & b8
>>
>>53626297
perfect response
>>
>>53626603
that sounds horrible, I once tried to turn this same amp off while holding a microphone to my mouth and holy shit that shock was intense. I probably only felt a fraction of that ps3 shit though.
>>
File: 8.2NIGGAWATS.jpg (23 KB, 310x320) Image search: [Google]
8.2NIGGAWATS.jpg
23 KB, 310x320
>>53626920
>that sounds horrible
>mfw
It was fun. My cousins were watching so they made fun of it afterwards. Just real glad it didn't do any damage besides just the pain of when it happened. Quite a learning experience; now i'll never work EVER again with electronics without my trusty gloves.
>>
>>53625125
Not the guy you're replying to but how do you like Logic? I'm pretty new to producing as a whole but I messed around on a pirated version of FL Studio for a few months before I got a Mac and lost interest. I got Logic a few weeks ago and I've been trying to get back in the swing of things
>>
>>53625125
Not the guy you're replying to but how do you like Logic? I'm pretty new to producing as a whole but I messed around on a pirated version of FL Studio for a few months before I got a Mac and lost interest. I got Logic a few weeks ago and I've been trying to get back in the swing of things.
>>
is it me or is mixing more fun then actually making music? learning how to do mixing and i'm diggin the tweaking and tryna make stuff sound better waaaaaaaaaaayy more than making synths, programming drums, and arranging.
>>
>>53627647
same with me, m8
tracking and mixing is the only thing I really like, I don't really enjoy the 'creative' part
>>
>>53625316
Anything that isn't the usual 4/4 time signature. 5/8, 7/8 and syncopated beats get me every time, regardless of genre.
>>
>>53626348
Great
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c49Trz5Rc_A

how to get sparkly bleep bloop synths
>>
>>53627989
>7/8

oh baby i love 7/8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozAswe6R0ts
>>
>>53627989
I have no idea what syncopation is; can you post an example of what 5/8 sounds like?
>>
Sup /prod/
im makin loud and abrasive music

https://clyp.it/a2haasfp
>>
ive just started writing the next verse in this work in progress, what do you guys think of it?

https://clyp.it/bzmwqbkk
>>
>>53625316
gotta be groove; especially in kick ass hardcore music like breakbeat, or rock. music like house and trance, and most dubstep and DnB(not all), and especially all rap after 2000 is just to straight line and very little groove
>>
>>53628651
sounds like the gay side in berghain

take that for what you will i dont even know what im trying to say
>>
>>53626107
bump for feedback pls
>>
>>53628686
haha what do you mean?
>>
I'm trying to make future beats. https://clyp.it/j1nxkazv

Is it twerkin?
>>
>>53628651
this is bretty good
>>
>>53628598
This is all syncopated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxCni07StgI
>>
https://clyp.it/zga42q1l

HANDCRAFTED SILKY SMOOTH PADS COMING THRU

confirmed banger of the year, every year
>>
>>53625316
Probably unique rhythms, field recordings, warm analog basslines, and interesting shit in general.
>>
>>53628970
move the DONK out of the way i can't hear those SILKY SMOOTH PADS
>>
>>53628800
Sounds pretty neat

How did you get those chime-y synths at the beginning? I've been trying to get something like that for ages and I feel like an idiot for not being able to get it to come out right
>>
let's share drumkits /prod/
name the genre it falls under

>https://mega.co.nz/#!UwpFjIRb!bkzgOQYQ-KPcul4pAx7z5Pcf-EFlC2S6YeUIO6fjr1U

Chicago Drill Drumkit
Trap/Drill
>>
>>53628355
pls respond
>>
File: 1385060004257.gif (2 MB, 275x205) Image search: [Google]
1385060004257.gif
2 MB, 275x205
>>53628970
OOOOOH BOI

IM FEELIN IT
>>
>>53625316
When music is beautifully mixed where you can explore every corner of the sound and there is something different to listen to in each one. Like in the front is a lead, in the back a rythm maybe, and to the left and right also different complementary rythms and lost stabs or hithats or tiny hits in the northwest, southwest, notheast and southeast sides of the sound like Nosaj Thing or Gorillaz. At least that's an experience I love when wearing headphones.

Or just pretty much when the mix gives a beautiful, capturing, almost magical aspect to the song even if it's something simple like xxyyxx's About you or a mesmerizing wall of sound that even if it's a huge wall composed of few building blocks you want to feel and hear all its crevices like pink floyd's Any color you like.
>>
>>53629356
I sampled them lol. But basically, it would be sine waves with fm.
>>
https://clyp.it/tws2pqjh

Is this synth solo hardware or software?
>>
>>53629867
sounds Chinese
>>
>>53623522
>2015
>windows
what were you expecting
>>
>>53629867
definitely sounds digital to me due to how stable the oscillators are when there's no vibrato added; whether it's a digital hardware synth or a softsynth is anybody's guess.
>>
File: 3x osc with pitch LFO.png (386 KB, 1920x1039) Image search: [Google]
3x osc with pitch LFO.png
386 KB, 1920x1039
>>53629945
bang on. its the 3Xosc with all triangle waves.

I used a pitch LFO for vibrato, just roll it on and off when needed.
'loose' sequencing (ie. drawing notes in with the grid snap turned off and not worrying if things are a bit out) tends to help it sound a bit more natural, as if it was really played, but yeah the held notes w/o vib are a dead giveaway.
>>
more feedback requested for >>53628800
>>
>>53629867
hadgital. hardware and software. i play these games safely
>>
>>53626107
Oh shit I forgot I posted in here for a while. Thanks anon. Yes I EQ each track.

>>53626348
Thanks.

>>53626518
Thanks.
>>
>open ableton
>realize i have 0 talent
wat do
>>
File: 1380508974908.jpg (390 KB, 1812x1018) Image search: [Google]
1380508974908.jpg
390 KB, 1812x1018
>>53630099
quit
>>
>>53630099
open reason
>>
>>53630069
all software, bud! should have taken the risk of a straight answer

>>53630099
learn an instrument (or another instrument) learning and playing music is known to develop brain activity.
but yeah the prerequisite for making music is some kind of natural talent or affiliation with sound, so you miiiight be fucked.
>>
>>53630141
im pretty good at playing guitar, but i guess computers are not my thing, it seemed fun :(
>>
File: 1385520880973.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1385520880973.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>53630195
you fucking FAGGOT dont just put yourself down like that at least TRY and read some books and watch some vids and DO shit and learn dont just shit yourself cus you dont know anything and say "well i guess ill never learn" FUCK IM MAD
>>
>>53630195
just write music on the guitar. get some lined paper and make up some tabs. then you can record them later once you've mastered playing them. from there you could layer in other instruments or more layers of guitar, maybe do some singing, or even totally fuck with your guitar sound and make it into something completely different. chop your playing into little chunks and use it as the basis of a track.
smoke some weed or something :^)
>>
>>53630099
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959

Hopfully this will get you started in the right direction. Watch all his 'how to' playlists and I recomend you read the manual. And like >>53630245 said: Don't give up!
>>
>>53630195
I mean it's really not difficult to transfer guitar melodies to a piano roll right? Then, just browse through presets until you find something not shitty and throw a drum loop in there. Bass, chords, fx, samples, whatever. Easy. Eventually you can try editing presets to get the exact sound you want and working with automation. Then layering, eqing, mixing, etc etc. The point is to experiment and practice, fag.
>>
>>53630195
i went from knowing only guitar to computer music. it's a hard hump to get over because you will realize you actually don't know shit about music. but once you get over the hump and learn more about composition and synthesis, you will become enlightened.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.