[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 25
/prod/ thread

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WiPs
>soundcloud for completed tracks and getting called a fruit for not going to soundcloud threads
We're making an album! (or trying to).
Check the next post for info.
Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
link to pastebin.com
>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
link to mu-sic-production.wikia.com
>>
First for chilltrapwave
>>
>>53363403
second for fucking OP's mom
>>
>>53363403
>>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
>link to pastebin.com
nice link bro
>>
4th for i wish i were dead
>>
fourth for no lossy samples
>>
>>53363480
here you go

http://pastebin.com/nnhBhpZ4

GET WITH THE PROGRAM OP. when in doubt check the archive for past threads
>>
>>53363403
how 2 master
what is that shit about cutting frequencies that humans can't heard and causes headache or something
>>
8th for anime inspired hypnagogicvaportrap
>>
>>53363502
there's no such thing coming out of a speaker system that can fit in a home
>>
>>53363547
Implying that the o/p not being able to produce a frequency means that spectral processing is less important
>>
>>53363644
I don't think that was implied
>>
first techno track, just trying to get the basics down. Any notes? Mixing or otherwise
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Q7XEiy6f2s
>>
>>53363737
it's quiet, spectrally bloated and also try mixing in stereo. there's nothing going on in the side signal except for the bit of reverb
>>
>>53363771
elaborate on on the spectral bloating comment please
>>
>>53363737
sounds like you were making really shitty trap but decided to put a boring 4x4 beat.
upload to clyp.it
>>
>>53363695
Well it was like
"do you need to cut frequencies outside the range of human hearing"
"the frequency output range of most speakers doesn't exceed the range of human hearing"
So a motherfucker could get confused and think that was an implied "no"
>>
>>53363816
lots of resonating stuff in the samples, no really high frequencies, the bass is resonant and without impact
>>
>>53363512
Is hypnagogic music a thing? sounds dope, how do I into it?
>>
>>53363875
please don't it's garbage
>>
hello /prod/!

i am in need of a magic box i can put sounds in and get mad effects. naturally i figured i'd cop a 202, but they're so overpriced on ebay i'm hesitant (and broke). i looked at the sampletrak, but i like the 202 bc i've used a 404 and 505 before and they're all quite intuitive as opposed to most other samplers. is there a cheaper, more lo-fi sampler than the 202 that still has at least decent effects capabilities? i'm talking <$100
>>
File: 76034366.jpg (14 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
76034366.jpg
14 KB, 126x126
>>53363403
https://clyp.it/sul4w1to

Just working on stuff kind of just messing around

this is a faster track than the others ive made but im having fun haha, any feedback on where I am so far would be appreciated, its still super simple, havent messed with the drums or levels past setting them up so still super early.

How are you tonight /prod/?
>>
>>53363887
Hypnagogia is not garbage. It's in my top 10 states of consciousness
>>
File: 1398374652759.png (137 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1398374652759.png
137 KB, 300x300
>>53363771
>spectrally bloated
>>
>>53363899
Windows Sound Recorder
>>
>>53363737
pretty cool for first time
>>
>>53363918
>any feedback on where I am so far would be appreciated
I think that the the final tone in each group lasts just a bit too long. Other than that I like it.
>>
>>53364051
>complaints: resonance; lack of top-end edge
>>
>>53364075
i got this from it too, thanks for that, ill have to figure someway to shorten it but keep the pace.
>>
>>53364118
You could try altering the pitch of each end tone into a wave, so you don't have to shorten it. Just a thought
>>
>>53364098
What do you mean by resonance?
>>
>>53363737
It stops just when it's getting good.
>>
File: !!!!@@@##.jpg (138 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
!!!!@@@##.jpg
138 KB, 1024x768
guess the genre
>>
>>53364268
house
>>
>>53364268

>house3.flp
>babby's first DAW
>ASIO plugin

pleb "prog" house
>>
>>53364268
is it house?
>>
>>53364292
what's wrong with ASIO ?
not that anon,but i use it
>>
>>53363403
how does one makes their tracks have the same volume and shit on a album?
Like not just the DBs you know
>>
>>53364348
mastering
>>
>>53364348
soundgoodizer duh
>>
>>53364327

if your audio interface isn't totally shit then it should have a custom made ASIO plugin to work with it

ASIO4ALL (what his image shows on the taskbar) is for bottom of the barrel/consumer grade sound cards. It's glitchy, crashes and it's just a band aid

pls upgrade to a decent DAC/interface
>>
>>53364327
i use asio seems alright but im no expert at knowing shit like this. although asio makes it to were if i have my DAW open it mutes my other windows and literally won't even play videos while my DAW is open so i can't watch tutorials while i mess around in ableton.
>>
>>53363403
how to make a track fade in another on a album?
Like,a track starts 30 seconds before on the track before it
i can't express myself and that's annoying,english isn't my native language sorry guys
hope u guys understand what i meant
>>
>>53364290
>>53364292
>>53364294
yup!

https://clyp.it/fbop1smn
>>
>>53364359
oh i see
yeah my audio interface it's shit then,it's a integrated one
>>
>>53364377
>build both tracks in the same project, combine to a single one if you didn't
>build a transition
>export one track till a certrain point, the other from that point onwards
>enjoy your two files that have a smooth transition
>>
Sorry to be hijacking these threads but we are still looking for contributors to Project 1EP.

For this project, each participant gets the month of February to make 1 EP of a max total length of 15 minutes, containing at most 15 separate tracks. Anybody is allowed to submit any content under any artist name, provided it's your own material, not offensive and not OLD material! No folder dumps! There are no genre restrictions, make anything you want.

When you are done, submit your EP in a ZIP to mikewestaudio (at) gmail.com , together with all relevant info, before March 1st.

All contributions will be compiled into one MASSIVE digital release - including top of the line mastering, provided that you don't brickwall your tracks. The album will be available on bandcamp (project1ep.bandcamp.com, currently empty as this is the first edition) as pay-what-you-want and ALL proceeds will be donated to the international charity Medicines Sans Frontieres / Doctors Without Borders.

This is a cross-community project involving several established artists and people experienced with running compilations and labels. We currently have around 30 artists involved in this, but we can always use more. We are also looking for people who can aid with compiling the final playlist, as well as illustrators who would like to contribute covert art & design.

The main goal here isn't to raise so-and-so much for DWB - the main goal is to make some great music - but the charity side is a way to motivate support for a good cause, and raise the profile of all artists involved. If you have any questions, just drop me an email.
>>
>>53364422
thanks my man
>>
>>53364423
lmao charity
>>
>>53364423
>massive compilation

lel so if you're lucky and get picked as one of the first three tracks somebody might actually hear your shit.
>>
>>53363875
https://www.youtube.com/user/pollyjacobsen/videos
listen and be inspired
check out his albums as well
>>
>>53364447

It worked for the Touched compilations and I don't like it when compilation releases include some sort of option of monetary support, then take the money themselves - it would be a logistic nightmare to distribute evenly amongst the artists anyway.

>>53364478

I've been running these types of things for years and it seems to work out fine for all involved, but then again, some people think this kind of thing is more fun than fretting over their soundcloud plays. If you really want to stand out your best bet is to make some good tunes.
>>
>>53363899
ur computer
>>
>sounds good when working on it
>export it
>sounds like shite. boring acoustics. everything sounds busy etc
>every tiem

pls halp
>>
>>53364772
Soundgoodize it.
>>
File: big guy.jpg (425 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
big guy.jpg
425 KB, 1000x563
>>53364784

epic meme bro
>>
>>53364796
Sausage-Fattenerize it.
but seriously, post a WIP
>>
>>53364809

https://clyp.it/xcc1tdsd

close to the middle of the track
>>
>>53364772

ears are very adaptible and adjust themselves to hours of producing. you might be producing on too high volume, your monitors suck or you might be trying to produce only on headphones.

try to work on a lower volume than you will be listening on, try to keep a spectrum analyzer handy, as well as a well produced track you're trying to sound like, etc. the idea is to be proactive and keep your ears from adjusting to a bad sound. this stuff becomes second nature after a while, but it's impossible to prevent entirely, take plenty of breaks and just fix things as you discover them.
>>
>>53364877

solid advice, thank you
>>
>>53364772
maybe take time and go back to the project with fresh ears?
>>
>>53364877
that's why it's best to have someone else master your tracks
>>
File: 04ee947e0b[1].png (63 KB, 1153x676) Image search: [Google]
04ee947e0b[1].png
63 KB, 1153x676
the hell is this
>>
>>53365188

Do you not know how to locate your library or are you mad that your cracked copy is bugging out on you?
>>
>>53364374
i get weird glitches where i have to reset my audio device after using my daw or else all audio will be dropped one octave.
if your monitor has speakers and you happen to be running hdmi to it you can switch the audio device under windows audio to the monitor and have the tuts come out of your monitors speaks while ableton will still work
>>
What kind of effects and treatments can I do for a non-ideal vocal track besides the obvious (EQ, compression, slight chorus)?

I'll post the track in question in a sec
>>
>>53367020
Track in question:
https://clyp.it/i4rt0xz5
Vocals are probably weak in the first place, but what else can I do to fix them up?
>>
>>53365188
"add library" and find the folder where your libraries are
>>
>>53364478
Some of us have a higher attention span than a 12 year old you know
>>
>>53364423
>several established artists and people experienced with running compilations and labels.

Who are they? Just curious. It might be good to mention them, a compilation of nobodies is not the same as being in the same compilation as, I dunno, whoever is contributing. Big names draw attention
>>
File: armandosmug.jpg (92 KB, 964x731) Image search: [Google]
armandosmug.jpg
92 KB, 964x731
>>53364423
Sorry man, but I was here the first time you posted and googled you. I don't believe you have any support from anyone with a name on on this project, if you have any support at all.

Not to rain on your parade, but without knowing more, it just seems like you're spamming forums in hope someone picks the idea up.
>>
>>53367211
reverb always helps, but that's kind of obvious. maybe a small slapback delay?

i recommend stacking vocals/harmonies. it really helps make any vocals sound better, good or bad. use melodyne to help the each track fit together. melodyne is a godsend for vocal editing.
>>
>>53368209
>melodyne
Looks like it'd be what I need to fix this track. Recording overdubs is out of the question since it's gotta be done today
>>
>>53368245
oh damn. well, yeah melodyne is the way to go then. i've gotten some decent fake overdubs from it. just change the tuning/timing for each track slightly. not as good as real overdubs obviously, but it sounds alright. it might help? idk, just throwing out ideas.
>>
>>53368280
Yeah, I'll get on it, thank you man
>>
>>53367020
>>53367211
Just record the vocals over and over again, then when you got like 30+ vocal tracks just overlay them.
No reverb, no effects, just mix them down a little and be done with it.
You're welcome.
>>
Best way/good torrent for Superior drummer? I definitely can't afford that shit
>>
>>53364268
ah yes, we all remember those classic 80s volume envelopes
>>
>>53367211
Voicings. try singing an octave lower in some parts and overlay your vocals together.

I have no idea clue mixing vocals but i guess you could try a driver effect or an exciter. Other than, compression.
>>
File: Logo2.jpg (49 KB, 532x226) Image search: [Google]
Logo2.jpg
49 KB, 532x226
Quick update on P1EP

There'll be global cover art for the whole thing but everybody who submits artwork will have it attached to their submission, so it's option. Also note that WAV files are essential for mastering purposes, if you submit a shoddy brickwalled mp3 there are no guarantees you'll have a decent presentation or even be on the comp

There's an FB page now if you want updates, just started so its a bit empty but it will all come. Design is temporary while I wait for MSF headquarters to approve this whole thing for their affiliates program, so we can use some neat logos and stuff
>project1ep on facebook

>>53367323
>>53368046

It's a bit early for all that, we're not exactly talking "big names" (which isn't the point of the comp) but not nobodies either, many of these are genuinely good and quite successful artists, i'll throw some examples ur way.

https://plugexpert.bandcamp.com/music
https://milieu.bandcamp.com/
http://williamsbraintree.bandcamp.com/
https://slumbr.bandcamp.com/
https://chatmm.bandcamp.com/music
https://pselodux.bandcamp.com/
https://sharee.bandcamp.com/
https://bitroast.bandcamp.com/
>>
File: IMG_0065.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0065.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>53368280
>>53368300
just make sure to check phase if you're fake overdubbing.

just finished building my new ikea desk, what do you guys think? i need some cable management and a nifty monitor riser shelf thingy as well i think.
>>
>>53368884

your podcast station looks very nice

just kidding, plenty of space for sick gear now!
>>
>>53368852
Who's gonna buy this? Did you have success the previous times you did this? I would offer a few songs that I make this month, but it just sounds so pointless. Who is going to listen to a massive collection of random music by 20+ artists?
>>
Im struggling to stay in key so bad. Like I have this awesome ambient sound and it'll sound fantastic. But when I try to put another synth over it, it sounds like shit and mismatched. I wonder if its a timing thing, or timbre, or keys? Maybe the ambient synth I have is too complicated? Ugh.
>>
>>53368926
i have some other gear spread out across the room, i actually plan on keeping the desk super clean
>>
>>53368955
Paybe the pitch on the ambient synth is a bit out of tune compared to your standard 440hz tunings?
>>
>>53368955
Do you know about keys at all? If you are musically inclined ambient music can be very easy to make. Also what >>53368976 said. Make sure oscillators in your synths aren't detuned dramatically or anything.
>>
>>53368943

This "compilation for charity" thing is a first for me. In my experience people like to support things on bandcamp when the music doesn't suck, I've made a fair bit from sales on there from my private accounts. I have been involved in a lot of compilations over the years and the truth is that people listen to all of it, if you're first or last in the list doesn't matter, if your music stands out people are gonna talk about it. People aren't idiots, they understand that there might be really good shit more than halfway through.

People also tend to dig big community things and I've seen a lot of people support so-so compilations where all the money goes to the guy running it, I'd have felt pretty bad doing that so if you leave the option of paying but putting it all to a good cause, that eliminates a lot of hassle but also raises the profile of artists involved.

If it sounds pointless it probably isn't for you, most people who dig the idea of this are already getting busy making tunes and not asking how much of a return they'll see from it

Putting all the charity and artistry stuff aside, the main point of this is getting people creative to a deadline, it's quite an energy boost when you get into it, you might surprise yourself.
>>
File: shit.jpg (988 KB, 1916x1036) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
988 KB, 1916x1036
This is the synth I'm talking about:
https://clyp.it/zrvbwoav

I really think perhaps it's got too much going on by itself?

>>53368976
It's just at -1.73.

Is that too much?

I tried to remove it entirely and it still sounded like shit matched up with everything.

What is the 440hz tuning?

I've only been working with music at all for a few months so I'm still piled under things I don't know.

>>53368985
I know basics about keys, I'm very new, I'm trying to look into chords because you can see from the spectrum in the image that it's all kind of set up oddly.

Is the detune the part in massive where the "3" envelope is?
>>
>>53369399
You're making things too complicated for yourself. Don't worry about the spectrum analyzer or anything for writing the music, go by how it sounds. User your ear.

The detune on that massive patch would come from osc 3. but I know it's not active in pic because the blue light isn't on. but yeah the -4 means you moved it down 4 semitones. If you want them all in tune put them to 0 or +-12. and that's not an envelope that's an oscillator. the oscillator generates the pitch while the envelope manipulates the pitch. look up attack decay sustain release. hope this helps
>>
Anyone's got tips for making that shaking background hi-hat sound like in many breakbeat tracks?
>>
I know some music theory but how I can work on getting some more Jpop/rock-ish vibes or asian vibes in my songs?
>>
>>53369399

-1.73 doesn't say much because it depends on what synth you're using, in the case of massive it's too much, that's almost 2 semitones - but that's an envelope doing it and I have no idea what envelope settings you've got going on, it might be set on zero for all I know

please take it easy with the spectrum analyzers until you have an idea what you're doing

it sounds like you've got some detuning going on occasionally anyway, it seems envelope-determined

that bass is quite pronounced and might be fucking things up for you mix-wise, might be creating distortion on the master track
>>
>>53369512
I mean I was talking about the "3" under the first oscillator. It's basically an envelope changing the pitch on OSC 1 on a small scale. (1.73)

But I don't think that's what causing my problem.

It might be the sound itself, like there is too much going on?
>>
>>53369625
analyze chord progressions, then use similar instruments

same as learning any other style
>>
>>53369625
there are specific scales that sound asian, but its more traditional (google asian scales)
j pop and rock have pretty vanilla songwriting from what i've heard (inb4 a weaboo corrects me). its really the sound engineering side of things that makes that stuff impressive.
>>
>>53369399
Have you tried a tuner?...
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 347x145) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 347x145
>>53369678

you have a lot of sub bass going on and it tends to steal energy, especially when you play polyphonic synths, try shelving out some of the sub 100hz frequencies with an EQ, add the EQ8 and do like the pic does.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (892 KB, 1925x1044) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
892 KB, 1925x1044
>>53369630
Yeah that's what I was thinking, though even when I turn off the envelope on the pitch it still sounds off.

>>53369705
Yeah, I've just been so in the dark about things that it's been a rough start in terms of theory, but I've been studying chord stuff and I think it's helping. (Scales too)
>>53369742
Working on it right now, because trying to get the keys from looking at the spectrum just makes me want to kill myself.
>>53369749
Yeah, I noticed that. I EQ'd out some of the lower frequencies and still sounded like shit.

I still think I should stick with it though.
>>
>>53369800
Spectrums aren't made to deduce keys from.
>>
>>53369809
I thought you could use the peak frequencies to determine the key?

I'm a retard.
>>
>>53369844
Sure but that's the complicated way of doing it, just use a tuner.
>>
>>53369800

I would go insane if someone threw massive at me in my first few months of music making.

Some of the wavetables in massive are kind of wonky regardless of tuning, especially the additive one you've got running. Start with a simpler subtractive synth and learn what each thing does, try to make a few tracks that work well harmonically, then move onto the bigger things

>>53369809

actually there's a switch to turn on keys in the spectrum analyzer, you need clear tones though

>>53369844

yeah but it doesnt work so well with melty ambient pads
>>
>>53369872
What would be a good subtractive synth? Should I just use my Microkorg?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, I've been struggling with this for a long time.
>>
anyone got a step sequencer template for maschine to ableton.

like the feature for the maschine but would love to use it straight away in ableton and without the plugin.
>>
>>53369964
the piano roll cut up into 16ths is the same shit as a step sequencer
>>
>>53369860
Any recommendations for a tuner?
>>
>>53369928

nah the microkorg is a bit of a bitch to program, but if you plug your guitar in there with the vocoder you can get some cool spacey effects!

go for synths where ALL the controls are on the same page, so you dont have to flip through ten sections to make your sound - that sort of stuff is gold when you've been at it for 5-10 years but it's painfully obvious you are rushing into things and overcomplicating everything.

learn what each of those controls do on that simple synth. this way you will quickly figure out how more advanced synths work.

i'd recommend these, don't mistake them for "weak" synths, they are quite capable when you know how to use them:
synth1
korg polysix vst
Sylenth1
minimogueVA
tyrelln6
>>
is there any difference in rights between uploading your stuff on bandcamp as free vs uploading your stuff on bandcamp as name your price? because i dont want to get in trouble for samples
>>
>>53370340

unless you have actually cleared the samples, you are never in the clear. depends on how far you want to push your luck - when there's money involved you're more likely to end up in trouble, but some of the plunderphonics guys around here don't seem to care
>>
>>53370340
No. You're much less likely to get in trouble, but the copyright owner can still request that you take it down.
>>
>>53370313
I actually started off using Sylenth1.

Hmmm.
>>
File: 1380858095566.gif (2 MB, 320x362) Image search: [Google]
1380858095566.gif
2 MB, 320x362
ayy

s'goin on, /prod/?
what do y'all think about the mobile DAW app "Caustic"? Im using it and liking the ability to make beetz anywhere. Thinkin about making the 10$ investment as it looks like a useful little tool; just wanted to know if y'all have any specific opinion on it.
>>
>>53370013
Melda Productions free bundle.
>>
tfw you applied for Bachelors Degree in Culture and Arts, music production programme
>>
>>53370915
I wish I had something like this at my school. I just need some sort of impetus to get through college.
>>
File: 1423065219123.jpg (231 KB, 885x886) Image search: [Google]
1423065219123.jpg
231 KB, 885x886
We're making an album! (or trying to).
How to join:
>Take a good look at this picture
>Be inspired by it
>that's it
Anything goes, feel free to find anons to collab and have fun with in any way you want. Or just work solo.
We're doing this for fun and you got until end of February to submit.
>>
>tfw I have all day to produce because I'm neet but it all feels forced and I hate everything I make and I can't come up with anything or find inspiration

It might be because of my head isn't in the right state to make music, but it's driving me insane. I've been neet for 4 months now and only managed to finish one song which was done in a day.

Maybe I need pressure to finish it, or I need to change my environment or lifestyle or something.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
bump
>>
File: backfallconcepts1.png (199 KB, 1960x510) Image search: [Google]
backfallconcepts1.png
199 KB, 1960x510
Hey /prod/, I'm reinventing my soundcloud project thing and this probably isn't the best place to ask but you guys know things I guess

Which of these logo concepts look the best?
>>
>>53372082
They all look equally cheesy.
>>
>>53363403
>not posting lunga
>link to pastebin.com

shameful dispály
>>
>>53372161
didn't you hear? /prod/ is closed to new members
>>
File: fa-06_top_gal.jpg (136 KB, 1680x497) Image search: [Google]
fa-06_top_gal.jpg
136 KB, 1680x497
I'm planning on getting a synth in the future, the Roland FA-06 looks like it'd be a good one, and not sure what speakers to use with it.

What are Rokits like?
>>
>>53372174
Are youh at guy that got all assmad because of our soundcloud rules?
>>
>>53372205
Rokits are the only KRKs not worth it.
>>
>>53372319
Well what are the best monitors in the £300 range for two?
>>
>>53372330
JBL LSR series
>>
>>53372349
Alright thanks m8
>>
I really want to be signed to a specific label. It's not too easy to get signed by them but it's literally my lifetime goal.

What is the best way to approach this?

Like most, they have a demo submission email, but I'm really scared of sending them my demo, them saying "meh" and then sending another demo a few months later and eventually them knowing who I am and getting tired of seeing my name or identifiying me or whatever. Hopefully you understand what I mean.
>>
>>53372082
logos are fucking dumb
I bet you make brostep.
>>
>>53371835
then make music that you think sounds easy to make
>>
>>53372413
send them a few different demos with different artists names, each one with different songs so if they decide they dont like you once they will still listen to your other music thinking its someone else and maybe one of them will get picked lol
>>
>>53372413
What label?
Send your tracks to DJs first and also make bootlegs of some label tracks before just sending a demo.
That's what I'd do but what do I know.
>>
>>53372445
not that guy but i would say logos brand an artist, and simplifies recognition, same reason you can recognize aphex twin by a symbol.

cheesy for a starting artist, but beneficial for popular ones.
>>
>>53372445
>what is a brand
>>
>>53372413
are you autistic?

if they think your 1st demo is fucking shite, and by the 3rd demo they like it, they will recognize your name as being someone who can actually learn and not just talk all the technical shit

besides, even if the demo is good doesn't necessarily mean you get signed m8
>>
>>53372413
I'm gonna be honest with you here, and I hope you'll take it seriously.

It's probably not happening. It's not you who picks the label, it's the label that picks you. You'll never figure out what they're looking for, if it's a new artist with a different style or more of the same. Just send your demo and not just to that one because you're on a path to getting an ulcer like I did worrying about stupid shit that is out of your hands.
>>
>>53372413
If you think your material is good enough for a label, you're wrong

I've sent maybe 10 demos out, and every time I do I look back a couple of weeks later and think that the song was actually pretty bad
>>
File: e&mm 303.jpg (44 KB, 354x327) Image search: [Google]
e&mm 303.jpg
44 KB, 354x327
What happens most often: Producers using their synth's standard sound with minimal alterations or producers inventing new synth sounds that sound nothing like their synth's default?

Like, do established producers like Todd Terje or Justice synthesize a new sound every single time they make a new song?
>>
>>53372574
>what is brand

that is like saying "i need a huge awesome logo for my tech start up >insert company idea here<"..... when you are entering an industry dominated by established corps.
brand doesn't really mean shit until you get to the size where brand recognition gives joe shlmo an idea about your quality

do you even entrepreneur 101?
>>
give me a really nice pad preset that I can study so I can see what a nice synth is built from. if you know of any presets withing fl studio that would be nice, but I also have synth 1 some other ones
>>
>>53372683
>justice

they even claimed that they had no idea what the fuck they were doing

creativity and luck make the sounds, regardless of how many alterations or lack thereof

and then there are the programmers, but fuck those nerdy aspies
>>
>>53372748
Preset? Son, just make one. Pick a waveform, use LFO to modulate something that will result in movement, like pitch or pulse witdh.
>>
>>53372717
>that is like saying "i need a huge awesome logo for my tech start up >insert company idea here<".....

though that is the general idea when your startup is on say a website like kickstarter
>>
geez, don't make logos unless you're signed or something. It looks so childish.
>>
>>53372866
What's wrong with making a simple logo?
I like building a sense of consistency on my soundcloud, it gives the music a further sense of polish imo. As long as you do it right I think it's all good.
>>
>>53372866
I'd feel more inclined to agree with that if most bedroom producer profile pictures weren't so hilariously bad.
>>
>>53373044
you mean soundcloud producers?
>>
>>53373069
yep, the fruits from soundbutt
>>
>>53370664
I dunno but I have a note 4 and even though I bring my laptop everywhere I've thought of trying to make music on it. I downloaded some free midi piano thing and got pretty good results with the stylus it came with. Thought of getting the FL studio mobile before caustic though. But I haven't even looked at caustic. It's worth a try since it's really just for fun/sketching out ideas.
>>
>>53373090
>not calling it shitcloud
>not imagining a giant cloud made of shit
>not realizing how closely this compared to soundcloud
>>
How do I even go about learning about labels to submit my stuff to?
>>
>>53373205
Do you even listen to music?
If the answer is yes then you're pretty stupid.
>>
>>53372717
it's not about brand recognition, it's about portraying a sense of quality through visual means because that's the first impression a person is going to get when they visit your soundcloud. A good logo / visual aesthetic can help separate you from all the other half assed producers.
>>
>>53372683
Todd Terje i was once heard called the preset king. I think he is a fantastic producer but yeah a lot of his sounds are kinda stereotypical, but he really knows how to use them. Also he is probably a good programmer because he made a whole LP using only the ARP 2600. He probably just look at classic synth sounds objectively and is able to recreate them as his own.
>>
File: 1369884908280.jpg (60 KB, 276x279) Image search: [Google]
1369884908280.jpg
60 KB, 276x279
Looking for some good drum sample packs or even vst's

Any recommendations?
>>
>>53373269
>Vintage Drum Machine Samples - KickassTorrents
is this in the OP? it should be.
>>
Question:

If I find 99% of all presets, VST synth sounds, or anything I've ever used on a computer cheesy/uninteresting, is it that hardware is really that made better than software or is EDM just not for me?

Like, I play piano. But I hate the sound my fingers produce on anything other than a grand piano... any suggestions?
>>
>>53373420
shit nigga you're better off than those of us that need to learn how to play the piano and how to synthesize. just learn how to use synthesizers, watch the videos in the pastebin
>>
>>53373420
just keep it at piano, or learn to use the settings on the synths and plugins to better get a sound youre looking for.

its probably just personal preference because there are plugins that sound identical to some of their analog counterparts
>>
>>53373420
Use virtual instruments instead maybe?
I'm working on a hip-hop track and I barely have any synths in it at all (pretty much only sub bass), it's mostly sampled stuff and some recorded shakers n shit.
>>
Is Aphex the greatest /prod/ucer to ever live, /prod/? Let's be honest there never was and there never will be as good producer. Ever.
>>
>>53373554
No.
He's immensely over rated, even Skrillex is a better producer (not composer).
>>
>>53373554
Who are Autechre?
>>
>>53373554
hell no
many big name producers into EDM today are more capable producers than he is, and if we're honest about it they repeat themselves less
>>
>>53373478
>there are plugins that claim to sound identical to some of their analog counterparts, but don't
FTFY
>>
>>53373571
>>53373584
>>53373630
:'(
he my fav tho
>>
https://clyp.it/mh2ese1w

should i give up? what do you think? (30 secs)
>>
>>53373716
>https://clyp.it/mh2ese1w
I love it, except for the vocal samples. It's like when you're seeing a beautiful view from the window of a building and then the window cleaning guys in the catwalk get in the way. It feels like it's in the way or like it shouldn't be there.

Remember that adding more things isn't always the best way to go; less is more, etc etc.
>>
>>53373716
Drop the vox samples and post it again.
>>
File: Happy Heavy Feel.png (61 KB, 1228x1502) Image search: [Google]
Happy Heavy Feel.png
61 KB, 1228x1502
>tfw have a gr8 home label with a legendary mastering engineer despite making shite tunes
>>
>>53372866
Nothin wrong with that. Although its really really cringy when unsigned people or people who havent even reached 100,000 views make music videos.
>>
>>53374036
>shit tunes

SIGN ME

https://clyp.it/52pl5sse
>>
>>53374263
it's not my label, m8. i just release on it.
that tune's a bit shite tho.
>>
>>53374281
not shite enough though?
>>
>>53374036
How did that come about? gib story plos
>>
my kick drums sound flat. How do I give them some life?

I like the kicks on Andy Stott's "Passed me by". Not looking to emulate them, but if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it
>>
>>53374281
>it's not my label, m8. i just release on it.
sounds like ya mum's tits
>>
>>53374385
layer a hihat on top of them, but not very loud
just enough for it to sound like a kick sampled from a break with a top sound ringing
>>
>>53374385
tiniest bit of room reverb, maybe not on the kick tho
>>
>>53374385
>>53374432
You might want to try like a filtered hat or rather rimshot/sidestick sample. A straight hat may have too much highs for a kick.
>>
>>53374385
Also try layering kicks together rather than a single sample or whatnot.

Also parallel compression.
>>
>>53373420

Nah it's because synthesizers (the software ones especially, I find) are COMPLETELY sterile unless you breathe life into them. If you want a synth patch to be expressive and to be playable with a keyboard you need to program it to be expressive. Start assigning keyboard velocity to things. More than just volume. Things like the filter envelope's depth, the decay time on the filter envelope, the waveform. Assign things to the modwheel and use it while you play - you can get much more natural sounding modulations as opposed to simply using an LFO.
>>
File: 1387547636115.gif (2 MB, 360x199) Image search: [Google]
1387547636115.gif
2 MB, 360x199
>>53374527
>>53374504
>>53374466
>>53374432

thanks gon' try dem tricks later today
>>
My music sounds flat and boring, like it's got no energy to it.

I'm EQing, adding saturation, using a little reverb and it still sounds shit.

help me out
>>
>>53374562
you mean your synths?
>>
>>53374562
upload a track on clyp.it and I'll try helping you
>>
>>53374562
stereo imaging breh

Also adding saturation isn't necessarily a good thing like EQing is
>>
>>53374562
automation bro. ride them faders. mixes shouldn't be stagnant. your mixer/faders/console is a major part of the performance.
>>
>>53374385

The kick really has two parts. The low end boom, and the high end click. If your kick sound dull or lacks presence, boost the high frequencies. A good trick is to layer two different kicks together and use the click from one and the boom from the other. High-pass one and low-pass the other at the same frequency and then blend the two together. It obviously depends on what you're going for but I find that the 200-400Hz range sounds muddy, especially with kicks. I often find myself cutting around 320Hz. Try using a compressor on your kick - an 1176 sounds pretty nice a lot of the time. Think logically about your attack and release. If you want to accentuate the transient (the initial click) use a longer attack. If you want to accentuate the boom, use a fast release. Someone else suggested parallel compression which often sounds pretty good. Duplicate your kick's track, and send one of them through a compressor and CRUSH the absolute fuck out of it. This sounds especially good with compressors that have attitude and distort a bit when pushed hard - the 1176 with all buttons in sounds dope and explosive. Ease in a LITTLE BIT (seriously, don't overdo it) of that overcompressed kick along with your dry (main) one.
>>
>>53374350
sent demo. label liked tunes. no gr8 story.

>>53374414
ahehe heh hehe
>>
>>53374637

awesome, thank you
>>
>>53374637
Not that guy but that's bretty good advice, thanks

If anyone's interested I screenshotted a thread on /b/ a few months ago where some anon shared all his production wisdom, only about 4 screenshots but there's some good stuff in there
>>
>>53374695
nigR
>>
>>53374695
share em anon
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-01-09-00-19-48.png (209 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-01-09-00-19-48.png
209 KB, 720x1280
>>53374695
1/4
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-01-09-00-19-30.png (239 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-01-09-00-19-30.png
239 KB, 720x1280
>>53374773
2/4
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-01-09-00-19-11.png (203 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-01-09-00-19-11.png
203 KB, 720x1280
>>53374800
3/4
Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.