[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Applejack keep livestock, when Equestria is a herbivorous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 22
File: aiqz9rKAT[1].png (530 KB, 4000x3108) Image search: [Google]
aiqz9rKAT[1].png
530 KB, 4000x3108
Why does Applejack keep livestock, when Equestria is a herbivorous society?
>>
File: 1464501675394.png (80 KB, 211x244) Image search: [Google]
1464501675394.png
80 KB, 211x244
>>27602728
>what is milk
>what is export
>>
>>27602736
Where are pigs exported?
Yaks eat hay, Dragons and Griffins are isolationist.
>>
File: 99b.jpg (200 KB, 756x713) Image search: [Google]
99b.jpg
200 KB, 756x713
>>27602750
>Griffins are isolationist.

no they aren't, they are part of the Equestrian society.
>>
>>27602763
Then why has it been centuries since griffinstone was last visited?
And are you saying griffins eat pork? Where's the proof?
>>
File: unicornswerve.png (344 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
unicornswerve.png
344 KB, 1200x797
>>27602750
I'm pretty sure dragons wouldn't mind good food even if it came from ponies, but maybe that's just me.

She might also be raising them as a pastime, competition, for companionship. I could even venture so far as to say they function as sacrifice to appease the timber wolves, but maybe that's a little too far fetched.
>>
File: Apple Family meat feast.jpg (897 KB, 1624x1000) Image search: [Google]
Apple Family meat feast.jpg
897 KB, 1624x1000
>>27602728
>muh pones are vegetarian meme
>>
>>27602785
Those beaks are shaped for cutting into meat.
>>
>>27602799
Dragons raid and scavenge. They've only been shown to have a meritocratic society with no hint of trade, much less with Ponies whom it seems are from youth considered inferior.

One or two pet pigs I could believe, but there's loads. Without being pets or slaughtered, all they are is a burden on resources.
>>
>>27602811
>muh horse society that clearly farms vegetables and animal byproducts rather than meat itself but NO IT'S OMNIVOROUS GUYS REMEMBER THAT ONE TIME A VAGUELY PINK SLICE OF SOMETHING WAS IN A SANDWICH meme
>>
>>27602817
On a real animal, yes. But hooves are not shaped for grasping objects. Yet ponies do. You only assume griffins are carnivores.
>>
File: latest[1].png (28 KB, 765x296) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
28 KB, 765x296
>>27602750
Truffles.
>>
File: applecorn.jpg (80 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
applecorn.jpg
80 KB, 800x600
>>27602821
I'd say the glimpse we had of dragon society is not enough for a valid conclusion, but then again that goes for my theory as well.

Also, if she likes to keep pigs, I can imagine more = better, but the again, I'm no farmer.

Last but not least, I assume there's more to be had from pigs than just meat, so maybe that's a reason.
>>
>>27602842
Ok, I'll buy that.
>>
>>27602846
Theres a lot to be made from dead pigs, but not much from live ones.

Honestly, Truffles makes the most sense.
>>
>>27602863
That and fertilizer. Pig poo is great for soil.
>>
Fertilizer for trees, milk, eggs, leather etc.

Yeah, there's leather seats and things. Let that sink in.
>>
I've never seen a single truffle in the show.

Horses in real life have been known to eat meat, so I don't know why it's so hard to accept that maybe intelligent horses eat it recreationally.
>>
>>27602891
a) We don't know it's real leather
b) even if it was, animals that die naturally can still make decent leather, note I say animals as all leather being from cows is a myth
>>
>>27602904
They turn their loved ones into chairs when they die.
>>
>>27602897
>I've never seen it so it doesn't exist
>I've never seen it so maybe it happens
Huh.

Can we also assume Ponies never shit?
>>
>>27602909
I meant pigs, but sure, I bet Granny Smith would be proud to be a chair.
>>
>>27602918
We've seen Pinkie use an outhouse.

You're grasping.
>>
>>27602897
It's pretty safe to assume that the ponies are completely herbivorous.

I mean, come on. They eat hayburgers.
>>
>>27602925
Where she obviously ate a cupcake from a stash. We didn't see it happen, but it may be true.

>Accuses others of grasping after his two points logic are contradictions of each other.
Huh.
>>
>>27602933
They also eat bread and cider. Yeast is alive too.
>>
>>27602785
they are half hawks and half lions. Both of these creatures are predatory animals
>>
>>27602811
>both our diets i should mention are completely vegetarian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKVNI9jeFK4

This implies that they know that there is a difference between vegetarians and carnivorous.
This implies that there are carnivorous in their world too.
fuck this "everything is a meme" paranoia.
>>
>>27602897
> have been known to eat meat

very very very very very rarely, and meat is not good for them.
I feed american miniatures horses, they eat 99,9999999999999% vegetables, meat is totally not part of their diet.
>>
I say the livestock is for export to other societies like Griffonstone or something. The leather is probably fake.
>>
File: Diamond Dogs S1.png (675 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Diamond Dogs S1.png
675 KB, 1280x720
>>27602799
>I could even venture so far as to say they function as sacrifice to appease the timber wolves

Or Diamond dog raiders.

I like that idea.
>>
>>27603036
>hawks
>>
File: 1464747590785.jpg (22 KB, 363x320) Image search: [Google]
1464747590785.jpg
22 KB, 363x320
>>27602728
Obviously pigs are kept to combat some secret magic enemy/pest who's weakness is pig squeals. Assuming it's not the changelings at the season finale, it will be revealed in the next eight episodes or so.
>>
>>27603127
ok eagles,
>>
Cats and dogs exist in MLP. They eat the pigs.
>>
>>27603150
See >>27602838
>>
>>27603036
And Dragons are lizards.
That eat gemstones.
>>
>>27602728
Cows are loquent and sentient in Equestria. Look back to S1.
>>
File: Spike_happily_eating_S5E12.png (729 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Spike_happily_eating_S5E12.png
729 KB, 1280x720
>>27603180
Gryphons in myth were always carnivorous, why changing this?
And sorry the parallelism with hooves makes no sense at all.
>>27603203
Gemstones aren't the only things in their diet, pic related
>>
>>27603224
>my pic shows a dragon eating vegetables
>I admit dragons eat gems in Equestria.
>But Gryphons, they MUST BEHAVE LIKE MYTHOLOGY

See how silly you sound?

Also, what's not to get? Pony Hooves don't work how we expect based on Terran Equines. Why would Gryphon's beaks necessarily work identically to Terran Birds of Prey?

It's not hard.
>>
>>27603068
Vegetarian refers to the content of a diet, not the physiology of a species. My theory is that ponies were formerly omnivorous, and eventually developed magic that allowed them to create nutrient-rich flowers and other foods with magic. A few things that support this include the existence of forward-facing eyes on ponies, their facial structure, and their current status as the most powerful creatures on the food chain.
>>
>>27603643
Because creatures with both language and magic need to be omnivores to reach civilized status.
>Forward facing eyes
You high?
>>
>>27602728
She doesn't 'keep' livestock, it's a concentration camp for bovine scum.
It's called Dacow
>>
>>27602876
And the methane processed from pig shit can be used as fuel, just like Barter Town does in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.
>>
File: veiled_slide6.jpg (87 KB, 800x537) Image search: [Google]
veiled_slide6.jpg
87 KB, 800x537
>>27603643
Actually ponies eyes aren't really forward facing. I think the placement of their eyes is closer to that of a chameleon's. Also they may have just initially developed tools and weapons to defend themselves from predators.
>>
>>27603693
GOD DAMN IT CARLOS
>>
File: pun spic of muy mal.png (199 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
pun spic of muy mal.png
199 KB, 500x367
>>27603797
DON'T HAVE A COW, MAN, YOU DON'T WANNA BE IN A BAD MOO-D ALL DAY, DO YOU?
>>
>>27602763
I think they're isolationists in the same way japs are. I think griffonstone is part of Equestria but griffons aren't happy about it and so don't take kindly to pone types around there
>>
>humans are animals
>humans imprison animals and treat them as property

>ponies are animals
>no difference

/thread
>>
File: image(14).png (3 MB, 2208x1242) Image search: [Google]
image(14).png
3 MB, 2208x1242
>>27603068
>>27603657
>>27603643
>Forward facing eyes
They never had them since season 1. The few instances were they had were probably just style choice/laziness of the animators.
>>
>>27603643
>their current status as the most powerful creatures on the food chain.

Wot? The main reason they discovered Equestria was because they were fleeing from predators, and they only beat them in the end because they have magic, not because they're the apex predator.

Hell, even today they're not the top of the food chain. Dragons alone top them by a wide margin and there's a lot of shit in the Everfree forest that would hunt and gobble a pony no problem. Changelings are predators that specifically target ponies and so on the list goes.

Ponies are prey animals, they're just really good at avoiding or surviving the shit predators throw at them.
>>
>>27602728
Fertilizer, pets, truffles, rooting fields.
Livestock on a farm have uses beyond being slaughtered and eaten.
>>
File: nothing wrong.jpg (41 KB, 432x251) Image search: [Google]
nothing wrong.jpg
41 KB, 432x251
Maybe the farm is really a camp.
>>
>>27602728
>implying dragons aren't the real rulers
>>
>>27603693
I can't even Carlos meme you because that was legitamently funny.
>>
>>27604616
Those eyes are far more forward-facing than a herbivore's; in fact, they're positioned more like a dog's eyes..
>>
File: full.png (507 KB, 1187x461) Image search: [Google]
full.png
507 KB, 1187x461
>>27602728
They eat meat, it was never directly shown but one thing is known, they harvest eggs. That is a form of meat. And we do know that they use it for making "cakes"

They also know what a fishing rod is "Diamond Dogs" Why would a pony need a fishing rod if they don't eat fish? It like having a snow shovel in the desert, just doesn't add up. Also pic related..
>>
File: Ch and C.png (48 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Ch and C.png
48 KB, 800x600
>>27602728

It is obvious
>>
>>27608099
But OP is referring to other livestock such as cattle. Why are ponies keeping them if they are vegetarian?
>>
File: 1457408875498.gif (346 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
1457408875498.gif
346 KB, 500x347
>>27607852
>Unfertilized eggs are meat
>You have to eat any fish you catch
>There is no such thing as catch and release
>I'm retarded
>>
File: milk 4 money.png (20 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
milk 4 money.png
20 KB, 800x600
>>27608135

I think they keep the cattle to make for make milk and sell it.
>>
>>27602728
They use them for ritual sacrifice.
>>
>>27608150
>There is no such thing as catch and release
>animal cruelty is fine as long as you don't eat the animal
Fluttershy understands how nature works and, if fucking FLUTTERSHY is cool with it, chances are other pastel horses aren't all that bothered by it, either.
>>
File: diresheep.jpg (137 KB, 780x438) Image search: [Google]
diresheep.jpg
137 KB, 780x438
>>27602728

Cows produce milk and chickens eggs, both of which are pretty much essential to the baked goods that are incredibly popular stuff in Equestrian society. Plus, odds are they're paying the farmer in part for a place to live in the cow's case. Ditto the sheep (and again, wool). They're both intelligent species, so odds are there's a business arrangement there.

Pigs are organic garbage disposals, and farms like Sweet Apple Acres have plentiful waste.
>>
>>27602918

Word of Faust in this case is yeah, ponies poop.

Plus we actually see a modern toilet when one pony house gets destroyed, never mind Pinkie and the outhouse.

>>27602933

Ovo-lacto vegetarians. Sugarcube Bakery is an automatic indicator they aren't purely herbivorous. Besides, intelligence takes brain food, and that means proteins beyond what a purely veggie diet provides. And considering what kind of calorie burning unicorns seem to go through, sugar is likely equally critical.
>>
>>27608869

And for that matter, there's multiple cases of fishing ponies, which is very likely another protein source as they're low enough in the evolution chain not to be an offensive food source.

Om nom nom.
>>
>>27608930
>Pigs are organic garbage disposals
Plus, word of god is that AJ uses them for finding truffles.
>>
>>27608996

>Applejack has a disposal contract with the town for food waste she splits with the pigs 60/40
>hunts mushrooms with them on a regular basis for trading and cooking

They're actually good for the hooves, never mind the fancy gourmet types. Real horses definitely graze them along with the usual vegetation.
>>
>>27608953
Actually soy products have more protein than meat.
>>
Alright well, I'm gonna see if I can put to bed all the arguments in this thread, so, come at me.

>Ponies are certainly herbivorous by nature. Horses never eat meat except for in a few vague, far spread occurrences.
>Despite this, they're still sapient and with other beings like Griffins roaming around, (who are obviously omnivores if not full-fledged carnivores, let's be real,) a few Ponies might like to try eating meat.
>Despite this, they would have trouble digesting it and would only be able to handle small amounts.

>Their eyes are not generally forward-facing, and you can especially see this when looking at a Pony from a side view. They are drawn more forward-facing when viewed from the front, probably for our comfort.
>Either way, forward-facing eyes don't need to signal predation. They could have evolved because Ponies are highly social, and they're useful for reading facial expressions. Overall I'd say their eyes are much more forward than a horse's, but not even close to the level of a human's binocular vision.

>The sheep and cows are sapient, (you're not supposed to think about it too hard,) and provide milk and eggs. I really don't know why they'd keep pigs. Perhaps there's some other reason but it's probably for their meat. Whether it's for the Griffins, people's pets, or the rare Pony who has meat on occasion.

>Ponies would most likely have a stigma against killing any animals, being....y'know, how they are. Some would take this notion too far, though I think most Ponies would acknowledge that animals kill each other and they wouldn't hold it against the Griffins or anything. They might be a little apprehensive around them.

>I accept the fact that Dragons mainly eat gemstones, but they're still DRAGONS, so whether they need some meat in their diet or not, (I think they do,) they'd still have a penchant for killing things.
>>
>>27602897
>Horses in real life have been known to eat meat, so I don't know why it's so hard to accept that maybe intelligent horses eat it recreationally.

Because they directly state in the show that their diets are "strictly vegetarian"
>>
>>27609892
>believing pinkie pie

Well, there's your problem, you're taking information from what is essentially the resident meth head
>>
>>27602728

fetish barn rental service.

opens after the dusk.
>>
>>27602750
>bacon?
For example in game hay day, you collect bacon from pigs with out killing em
>>
>>27603203
>Because he wasn't a huge, gigantic, terrible, enormous, teeth-gnashing, sharp scale-having, horn-wearing, smoke-snoring, could-eat-a-pony-in-one-bite, totally-all-grown-up dragon.
Safe to say dragons eat meat too, senpai. It's absurd to think griffons aren't at least omnivorous.
>>
>>27602838
they are made up of two animals that only eat meat you fucking turboretard
>>
>>27607635
those eyes are wrong anyway (off model)
this is what pone eyes look like from 3/4ths behind their head.

Ponies have prey eyes. this does not make them omnivorous, but it does have certain very clear evolutionary baggage. This is a species that up until its rise to an apex animal, continued to be hunted by other predatory animals very consistantly. In addition, While it islikely that ponies can and did eat some meat while in their evolutionary period (horses do this as well) it is very unlikely for them to have been too omnivorous. this is seen in their ability to still eat things like hay. A true omnivorous diet would not be able to break down celulose in straw like plants. But they had to have moved more towards an omnivorous diet even if they aren't on our level of one, simply because they eat too much refined food, fruits and vegetables. the problem with being a ruminating species that cant throw up is that a lot of foods clog up your digestive system and give you colic, which can be fatal. It's likely that rather than focus on eating meat, ponies ate a shit ton of vegetables, as they are fiberous and in line with their diet, but many foods which would make a horse sick are still eaten by ponies, which shows that they had adapted to eat all kinds of fruits, gaining color vision, with only the occasional egg and meat.
>>
>>27602728
Stop that meme, horses are opportunistic carnivores. There's plenty of videos of them eating frogs and chicks.
>>
>>27612308
>species eats plants as their main part of their diet
>carnivores
you don't know what that word means.
also look here >>27612265
Horses aren't not eating meat becuase they are too weak or stupid to eat more of it, it's because if they did they would fucking die due to the way their stomach processes food. It can't handle more than the smallest amount of dense calories.
>>
>>27612511
Can you fucking read? They CAN and DO eat RAW meat, just not regularly.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.