[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fimfiction thread; Now with 49% more Chrysalis!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65
File: 5596878.jpg (12 KB, 198x230) Image search: [Google]
5596878.jpg
12 KB, 198x230
Come one and all to the writing thread and help marginally raise the quality of My Little Pony fanfiction!

ITT: Futaloo get, autism, Autismo finds a loli, abortions, writing military, we don't get a gun debate, the superstorm, epub, time measurement, Thayt'll stop that thar stormicane no prahblem ah tell yuo whut shugarcube, GApps, anachronisms, how dialog is written, Jesus, chopping off a head to do eye socket... I mean school courses, Voiceguy gets in a fight with Kudzu and an about 100 post long

Tired of the same old politically correct show blaming Queen Chrysalis for petty war crimes? Bored about not being able to fuck the new loli? Well, we've compiled the best of the worst in order to bring you our absolute average:

>Introducing, the FiM-Fiction Starter Kit (list of winners):
http://i.imgur.com/vuTA7EN.png (embed)

List of nominees by category:
>http://mlp-fanfics.herokuapp.com/

>Riffs & Reviews:
http://pastebin.com/u/notkickass222urmom

>Voiceguy's readings:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt68MpmvEketmqOdHncHI2w

New to fanfiction? Read this:
>http://eznguide.neocities.org/
>http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/

Need a somewhat average writing prompt?:
>http://autismwhinnies.tumblr.com/

Do you want critique on your story? Post it on Google Docs with inline comments enabled.

Old thread: >>26777523
>>
>>26878158
100 post long debate on Chrysalis dammit.
>>
File: sad drunk.png (307 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
sad drunk.png
307 KB, 800x600
>>26878158
Every time I try to write something I get about three chapters in and then I lose all the energy needed for the fic.
>>
[[Futaloo get] will never get a get] get
>>
>>26878220
Let's try a get then.

futaloo get
>>
File: tsTea.png (438 KB, 527x651) Image search: [Google]
tsTea.png
438 KB, 527x651
Time for some autistic stats so you can compare yourself to the worst literature has to offer.

There are 115599 published stories on FimFiction, here's what the average story looks like:

### Averages ###
Average number of words: 12541
Average number of chapters: 4
Average number of likes: 79
Average number of dislikes: 7
Average number of views: 1382
Average number of comments: 53

### Tags ###
Romance: 36060 (31.2%)
Tragedy: 15368 (13.3%)
Sad: 23171 (20.0%)
Dark: 32651 (28.2%)
Comedy: 33732 (29.2%)
Random: 20870 (18.1%)
Crossover: 18279 (15.8%)
Adventure: 39317 (34.0%)
Slice of Life: 35008 (30.3%)
Alternate Universe: 28806 (24.9%)
Human: 25464 (22.0%)
Anthro: 4254 (3.7%)

### Rating ###
Everyone stories: 43379 (37.5%)
Teen stories: 52880 (45.7%)
Mature stories: 19340 (16.7%)

### Status ###
Incomplete stories: 50615 (43.8%)
Complete stories: 51619 (44.7%)
Stories on hiatus: 8810 (7.6%)
Cancelled stories: 4555 (3.9%)
>>
File: 1457173567631.jpg (158 KB, 1224x653) Image search: [Google]
1457173567631.jpg
158 KB, 1224x653
>>26878133
>That we are fucked up as an species? Well helloo, get anough people and some of them will be fucked up. Especially when compared to the utopic world depicted by a children's cartoon. And there was a certain war of three tribes, you know. I am sure they went a little bit beyond throwing pies at each other. Things like treatening each other with famine? yeah.
I've already made it absolutely fucking clear what I am argueing about, the fact that you can't keep it straight speaks very clearly to your emotional knee jerking. You, or at the very least, someone who also has a very hard time keeping straight on the topic being discussed, are the one who brought up that humans are predators but don't eat sentient species and are implied therefore to be morally superior to them, naturally the conversation turns to that topic and there is a ton of "edgy" shit that actually fucking happened to prove you wrong, and it's going to keep being posted until the fight stops or you get it.
>>26878136
>celestia and
so yes, you aren't a good reader, and you need to calm down.
>>
>>26878094
>Roosevelt worked to start a war wit Japan

Of course, Pearl Harbor was our fault, and it was also our fault to not launch a million men offensive on Japanese mainland instead of using the atom bomb to end the war quickly.

>Teddy was racist

As was any guy at the beginning of the 1900s. You can't blame them for that, it's their mindset. And that's no reason to dismiss him breaking down trusts.
>>
>>26878245
HAHAHAHAHAHA
IF I HADn'T POSTED YOU WOULD'VE GOTTEN THE GET
BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>26878261
You seem to think the changelings are somehow the good boys.
But you don't argue that. You just argue about hur dur humans are evul.
Now, can you calm your edge engine?
>>
>>26878261
>so yes, you aren't a good reader, and you need to calm down.

You don't know what fucking AND bloody means?

I'm done with this shit. Good luck in your idiocy.
>>
>>26878295
>Of course, Pearl Harbor was our fault,
America has a history of blood on our hands, do you really think the real reason we did not want japan rolling through china and the ocean was humanitarian?
>any guy in the 1900s would have caused tons of civilian deaths in the phillipenes because they wanted to be treated like people.
no, I most certainly can hold them up to our standards, you are holding chrysalis above her own. If you were reading, you would also notice teddy wasn't just a racist, he was a racial purist, and felt war was one of the most clensing things someone could do to affirm their rightful place above savages. he didn't just think they where inferior, he talked about killing them like it was meditation.
>>
>>26878370
From your own words, faggot.

>unless you meant teddy, in which case he was an intensely racist

I don't give a fuck about American history anyways, we've got enough bullshit in Quebec.

>I most certainly can hold them up to our standards

>Egyptians were deeply into incest
>They shouldn't be, even though that's how it was 4000 years ago
>Galileo's contemporaries thought the earth was flat
>They shouldn't have even if it was 500 years ago
>Homo Erectus couldn't do the square root of 2943493248932 times 3294923492349234
>He should have even though it was hundreds of thousands years ago

I'm truly done. Go enjoy being rich and far from real world problems and situations.
>>
>>26878315
>>You don't know what fucking AND bloody means
do YOU know who celestia is?
I'm not done with this shit, good luck with your delusions about her being one of our leaders though.

>>26878299
>You seem to think the changelings are somehow the good boys.
I actually believe most of them are girls, and no, I dont believe they are "Good", just that they did not come to try and conquer equestria just because theyre assholes, as others have mentioned and I have defended.
IF you were not retarded and illiterate, you would know that this conversation was exhuasted in full, because I did argue just that, and only was breathed new life in when some moron decided to challenge me when I said chrysalis is a better leader ethically than most of ours. The reason for that statement was also pretty clear, which is ironic considering the shitposting attitude you have towards me for criticizing humanity;
Any person who would say chrysalis is an evil shitlord who should have just sent in a diplomat to try for peaceful aid, and since she didn't she is a wicked person worthy of scorn, is condemning pretty much any of the greatest leaders of our country, who have all done so much worse far more often. So no, you are the ones painting humanity as "durhur so evul." I am willing to see creatures for their faults and still appreciate them without the hateboner our race is so proud of.
>>
>>26878470
Please, go back to Tumblr. It's for your own good.
>>
>>26878439
>Galileo's contemporaries thought the earth was flat
yeah you definitely aren't into history much.
nobody thought the world was flat except stupid peasants.

>>I'm done
I'm glad you are so quick to bitch about holding people of their time and place to unreasonable standards after blatantly doing so to the changelings. hopefully you'll shut up more often if this is how hypocritical you are.
>>
>>26878488
I'm not from tumblr, not everyone you don't like is from the big bad boogyman of the web. It's time to grow up.
>>
>Twilight Velvet was given a voice
Well at least SOMETHING wasn't shit in the episode.
>>26878500
>>26878488
Stop answering
>>
>>26878526
Why the >>26878488 tho?
>>
>>26878470
>I actually believe most of them are girls

That's plain retarded. Explain why they're girls, please.
>>
>>26878637
Stop answering.
>>
>>26878637
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant
>>
Can someone rec me some feelsy fics? I have background pony on the backlog but 400k words is a bit much to bite off right now. Should I just get to work on it?
>>
File: GoldenOaksLibrary.png (755 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
GoldenOaksLibrary.png
755 KB, 1032x774
What do you guys think of all the worldbuilding we got from the premiere?
>The Crystalling
>There has never been a born alicorn before Flurry Heart, which means Celestia and Luna somehow earned their alicornhood
>Alicorn magic officially confirmed to be more powerful than unicorn magic
>A baby alicorn has MUCH more powerful magic outbursts than a baby unicorn
>A baby alicorn's crying produces strong soundwaves capable of shattering crystals
>To repair a broken magic artifact, you not only need to glue it back together, you also have to perform a ritual specific to the artifact itself

Also Spike shown to be both goofy and intelligent, and some Starlight character development, which is great.

>>26877978
Do you even watch the show? Pony babies have been shown before to have powerful magic outbursts and be really good at flying, until they grow up and stop doing those things.
Not to mention at the end they "curb the little one's power fluctuations", as Sunburst said.
>>
>>26878158
>Tired of the same old politically correct show blaming Queen Chrysalis for petty war crimes? Bored about not being able to fuck the new loli?
That's not even related to fanfiction.
Looks like the curse of theguysaidhi is back.
>>
>>26878526
>>Twilight Velvet was given a voice
Yeah, and it's literally Tara Strong except she's not doing a high-pitched Twilight voice.
Also, I think the episode was actually pretty good.
>>
>>26878803
who the hell is that?
>>
File: 1351221258152.jpg (313 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1351221258152.jpg
313 KB, 5000x5000
>>26879130
how new
>>
>>26879138
I can't be in every general at once.
>>
>>26879233
Except dozens of generals have been made by theguysaidhi.
>>
>>26879244
I'll be frank then. I basically never read someone's trip unless I'm waiting for them to update their green. I don't understand why anyone does. (And therefore, why anyone gives a shit about namefags.)
>>
>>26878851
>Starlight not being a megalomaniac pony and being apologetic

Well, here goes NH's headcanon.

Also, is it me or is Starlight and Twilight's voice horribly similar?

>>26879263

OP/Autismo here, I just put "theguyisautistic" as tripcode when I do an OP, seeing so many OPs were made by "theguysaidhi".
>>
>>26878295
Japan already pretty much gave up, the atomic bomb was just used to showcase our power to the USSR

there was no legitimate reason to bomb Hiroshima or Nagasaki
>>
>>26879312
Japan was nowhere near dead. It refused to capitulate, and the plan was sending a million man operation to invade it. The Japanese were keeping their best tanks, aircraft and artillery pieces on their mainland, which would be a really, really bad surprise for the U.S., which was facing light tanks armed with 47mm guns. We're talking about the equivalent to Tigers and Panzer IVs on the mainland the U.S. would have to grind through.

So yes, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were fully justified, unless hundreds of thousands of American soldiers dying is what you want. What would the people have said after if they learned the atom bomb was at disposal? A weapon that could have ended the war immediately, without the casualties the battle of Japan would have led to.

Plus, you're pretty much forgetting the incendiary bombings on Japan's wooden towns did WAY more damage than the two atom bombs combined. So no, stop trying to justify the atom bomb was useless.
>>
>>26879296
>Well, here goes NH's headcanon.
Just make it an AU.

>Also, is it me or is Starlight and Twilight's voice horribly similar?
I've noticed it too, it's pretty bizarre sometimes.
>>
>>26879263
>I don't understand why anyone does. (And therefore, why anyone gives a shit about namefags.)
theguysaidhi was fucking up our OPs for a long time until we decided to make an effort to avoid his threads and make our own.
>>
Is a background character finding an OC "not bad" physically going to make said OC look like a Mary Sue?
>>
>>26879453
Anon, is this a serious question?
>>
>>26879523
k
>>
>>26879381
>>nagasaki and hiroshima are justified
that entire war was not justified. It was a good thing it happened but it was about american pacific greed and control more than anything, not a defensive war against japan. no american soldiers had to die if america hadn't spend years sabotaging their relations on purpose because they where aping what America and other western countries had achieved abroad.
>>
>>26879453
Stop worrying about that and start woring about making your OC a compelling force that has a reason to exist in the story, and a personality that is balanced with flaws and positives. don't make the supporting cast around him, make the supporting cast as they are, and have their personalities play off of the OC. this will lead to a natural progression that wont seem like you just made the character like them.
>>
>>26879584
>that entire war was not justified.
>no american soldiers had to die if america hadn't spend years sabotaging their relations on purpose

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH

HA.

You're talking about a country invading its neighbor after framing it for sabotaging itself, invading you ally's colony and neighboring countries and that allied itself with the Third ReichYou know, those guys who wanted to control the world and eliminate untermensch? ? And you're telling us it's the bloody U.S.'s fault for trying to stop them after they bombed their harbor and destroyed several warships without a declaration?

I don't bloody even.
>>
I always thought the first bomb was debatably justified, but the second was absolutely not. It was dropped, what, 3 days after the first one? There wasn't even a response to the first one, not to mention the USSR got in on the fun in the meantime. Japan was given basically no chance to surrender before the second one was dropped.
>>
>>26878782
>There has never been a born alicorn before Flurry Heart
>Celestia and Luna somehow earned their alicornhood
Or, they weren't born
>>
>>26879632
>>without a decleration
they pretty much told us they where attacking you idiot. you're an idiot. why do you think the fleet was moved? it was so that it would be attacked.
>>durr look at all this bad stuff they did
no different than what america was doing. but let me make it a little more clear for you, if you think they where so justified, why did image concious america not declare war? according to you they had all the reasons in the world to do so, and yet despite doing everything in their power to get involved in a war with japan, they didn't declare war when it was obvious from the start according to you that they had the right to attack them.

>>theyre doing bad stuff doh!
so does america, all the fucking time, our history books talk about the nazis and little about how they basically where inspired by the way we treated the natives and our own wars of aggression. the point isn't that "japan is good" the point is american's history is blood red and is in no position to arbiter justice to anyone.
>>
>>26879410
>Just make it an AU.
FFFFFUCK YOU THAT IS NOT WHAT THE AU TAG IS FOR
God damn it
I know I've seen an official post on the site that explains how this shit is supposed to work, but I can't find the damn thing now
>>
QUICK POST YOUR FAVORITE FIC OF ALL TIME
>>
>>26879890
A universe that differs from the canon universe is not an alternative universe?
>>
>>26878185
Write 3 chapter long stories.
>>
>>26879934
Murky Number Seven.
>>
>>26880129
AU is for stories that make a point of being different from canon. It's not for stories that happen to differ in some minor way, or that only conform to parts of canon (say, S1-S5 but not S6 or comics).
>>
File: comics are not canon.jpg (130 KB, 977x544) Image search: [Google]
comics are not canon.jpg
130 KB, 977x544
>>26880285
>comics
>canon
>>
So how are you going to incorporate the season 6 premiere into your next story?
>>
>>26880344
My what?
>>
>>26880285
NH differs heavily. Starlight was never reformed and no villain showed up after Slice of Life. I think that's enough for AU.
>>
How do you guys get your ideas for one shot stories? I honestly cannot wrap my head around it. On one hand, I should write them for a little while just to get use to writing and getting my head to get use to it. But on the other hand, every idea I have is always multi-chapter.
>>
>>26881920
>How do you get ideas?
What kind of an answer are you expecting?
>>
>>26882030
Did you even read my post? The question—if you are not dumb—basically asks how do you think small, or take a step rather than ten.

Lrn2Read pls
>>
>>26882077
But you said every idea you have is always multi chapter, which, I assume, means your ideas are simply too ambitious for one-shots. That has nothing to do with what you just said.
No need to be a condescending asshole when you can't even explain what you want to know.
>>
>>26882110
Tbqh I shouldn't have replied to your bait. Oh well last (you) from me. :(
>>
File: 1358331896078.png (352 KB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
1358331896078.png
352 KB, 4000x4000
>>26882125
Holy shit.
>>
>>26881167
>NH differs heavily
No it doesn't. It's 100% compliant through at least SoL, probably further, though obviously not through the S5 finale. Once you have a basis for SG and the spy agency, the rest of it follows pretty naturally, and is exactly the sort of normal progression that's explicitly called out as "not grounds for AU tag" in that tag description page I can't find the link to.
>>
Given their range of technology, what year do you think it is in Equestria?
>>
>>26882208
Starlight becomes an important plot point in the S5 finale and S6 premiere, so I'd call that on grounds for AU.
>>
>>26882329
1900 Britain empire.

RULE EQUESTRIA

EQUESTRIA RULE ALL OF SPACE

PONIES WILL NEVER BE SLAVES
>>
>>26882329
How many more times will someone force this "discussion" here again?
1900s with some weird exceptions, like industrial dryer the CMC could somehow afford.
>>
>>26882377
And it looks like she'll become a part of the Mane Seven
>>
>>26882405
Ah, thanks senpai.

>>26882423
>he assumes i lurk these threads enough to know that this has been discussed extensively before
>>
>>26882442
Even if it hadn't it looks like it is in the show.

Spike's projector, extensive use of horse carts, radios, old phones, etcetera. Anything "modern" is probably powered by magic. I'm assuming music pone's beatbox is powered by crystals vibrating or some stuff.
>>
>>26882442
If you didn't then you would have no reason not make a new thread instead of posting in a general that isn't officially involved in lore discussion.
>>
>>26882329
Year of the Horse.
>>
So I have a story I'd like you guys to crap on, but Google docs doesn't have a share feature on mobile, so I can't make the Gdoc available to edit. Does someone else wanna make a Gdoc that I can just paste the story into or would you prefer I just direct linked you to the story?
>>
I wrote an anthem for Equestria inspired from Rule Britannia.

Shall I post my autism?
>>
>>26882377
no dumbass. I know this is too confusing and it isn't really your fault, but I've been in the fanfiction game for fucking eons, so I happen to know esoteric and useless bullshit like this. The other guy makes the best point possible in the now instance but to really understand what the hell it means in a grander context you have to understand the tag that MLP is not using: Divergant Universe.

An alternate universe has apperantly maintained its original meaning, but MLP and FIMfiction do not offer a tag for divergant universes, which is basically a canon until X happens, which is often the premise of many a fanfic. A true au as defined earlier is one that breaks from the setting mold entirely in some kind of fundamental way, whether its rule 63 or a bunch of grizzled horse people watching my little human friendship is magic to unwind, all the way to the most extreme like day of a wasp and spider.

>>26882405
>1900 britain.
I dont know, something about that doesn't seem right. mostly the ocean going part. Equestria also apparently has very medieval map making and border keeping. Equestria is a huge country, but they don't have extremely strong international ties.
>>
>>26882673
> but they don't have extremely strong international ties.

Old colonies are pissed off from being rejected
^:^)

I'm just basing it off the fact that Equestria is based on a royal leader they all love and support, and it being so centered around the sun (The sun never sets on the British Empire, and Celestia, if she was a douche, could do the same for Equestria.)

But for technology, I think 1900 is undeniable.

>First part

I really don't know, some readers will think it's AU since what I mentioned. I'll just slap on the tag anyways, and remove it if anyone dislikes it.
>>
>>26882742
Oh yeah, forgot the anthem to follow it.

When Ponies first, at the sun's command
Arose from out the frozen main
Arose, arose from out the frozen main
This was the charter, the charter of the land
And all ponies sang this strain:

Refrain

Rule, Equestria! Equestria rules all space!
Ponies never again shall be slaves.
(bis)

Foreign kingdoms not so blessed as thee,
Must in their turn to hatred fall,
Must in their turn, to hatred fall.
While thou shall flourish, great from unity
The dread and envy of them all.

Refrain
>>
>>26882755
that seems pretty dark for a nation founded on friendship. unless this anthem is supposed to be back in the creation of the alliance days.
>>
>>26882606
You don't have access to a desktop pc?
>>
>>26882755
>Rule, Equestria! Equestria rules all space!
>Ponies never again shall be slaves.
>Foreign kingdoms not so blessed as thee,
>Must in their turn to hatred fall,
>The dread and envy of them all.
no
>>
>>26882927
It was supposed to be composed when Equestria was founded, right after ponies moved there.

>>26882950
>Britain/Equestria isn't the most powerful nation ever

no u
>>
>>26883115
Britain certainly isn't, Equestria just wouldn't be such arrogant fucking shitstains about it.
>>
>>26883127
We're talking about Britain circa 1850, when it controlled 1/5th of all land on earth and had about 1/5th of the population as its subjects as well.

And how wouldn't any national anthem be arrogant? Even O Canada is arrogant about our fucking leaf.
>>
>>26882377
OK, I want to make sure I understand your point of view correctly.

Consider a fic about Luna that diverges from canon immediately after S1. She's the princess of the moon, banished 1000 years, and so on, but no ye olde english, no nightmare night, etc. AU, or not AU? (More specifically: based only on this information, would you consider the fic to require an AU tag, or is possible for all these things to be true in a fic and the fic is not AU?)

Consider a fic about Bon-Bon being a changeling that diverges from canon after S2. So no mention of secret monster hunting agencies. AU, or not AU?

Consider a fic about Twilight that diverges from canon prior to S3. She's still a unicorn and lives in the treebrary. AU, or not AU?

Do your answers change if each fic was written around the time it diverged from canon? (S1-S2 hiatus for the first one, and so on)
>>
>>26883279
That anthem is all about how great Britain is and how jelly other countries are. I don't know about you guys, but the Polish anthem is about how Poland will never perish as long as we live and that we'll fight for it if we need to.
>>
>>26883325
>Luna
AU

>Bon Bon
Non-AU, since BB doesn't even play a major role in the show except SoL.

>Twalot
AU definitely.

>If they were written around the time

Unless no substantial information was given before the fic was written, I'd still tag it as AU, especially if it involves a major character (Luna and Twi)

>>26883354
Canada's anthem talks about how god himself is keeping our country and how our past is "glorious" and how we're stronk. Most countries stand along those lines for their anthems.
>>
>>26883491
So you're saying each and every Twilight fic written prior to the S3 finale (and maybe also those prior to the S4 finale) ought to be tagged AU?

Does that actually sound like a reasonable policy to you?
>>
>>26883631
If no substantial info was given, yes.

Nothing was said about her becoming an alicorn, at least before the trailer, so no substantial info for her being an alicorn was given. You can't blame them for that.
>>
>>26883631
Not that Anon, but you said "a fic about Twilight that diverges from canon prior to S3"

I guess it would depend on what the divergence is, wouldn't it? If it's just Twilight not being an alicorn, or no mention to the Crystal Empire, I don't think an AU tag is necessary.

Here's what the tag info on FiMFic says about it:

Alternate Universe

Stories that take place in a world significantly diverged from canon. Changing the outcome of major events, large setting changes, or anything else that represents a large break from canon, particularly if the change is something that does not happen during the story itself. Stories that start at a point in canon and diverge through character development or other in-story events generally do not qualify as AU.
>>
>>26883705
>the tag info on FiMFic
FUCKING THANK YOU
What's the link to that? I remember reading it but couldn't find it from either the rules or the FAQ page.

>>26883699
I don't understand your answer at all, but whatever, it doesn't really matter.
> Stories that start at a point in canon and diverge through character development or other in-story events generally do not qualify as AU.
>>
>>26883740
>http://www.fimfiction.net/tag-information
It was updated somewhat recently.
>>
>>26883740
k den, no AU tag.

And I believe the link is Ezn's guide.
>>
>>26883325
All of those things are Divergent Universes. there needs to be some kind of fundamental change. for example, Celestia is the one banished and luna rules over equestria. that is an AU.
>>
>>26883740
But he just said that in NH no major villains appear after a certain point in time, so that falls under
>Changing the outcome of major events, large setting changes, or anything else that represents a large break from canon, particularly if the change is something that does not happen during the story itself.
Therefore, it should be tagges as an AU.
>>
>>26883930
Except there's an explicit exemption for changes that follow on from events in the fic:
> Stories that start at a point in canon and diverge through character development or other in-story events generally do not qualify as AU.

Basically, AU is for when you make major revisions to the setting / lore. NMM won, no rainboom, that kind of thing. It's not for fics where stuff happens that doesn't happen in canon, because that is ALL FICS. And it's not for fics that contradict parts of canon that were released AFTER THE FIC WAS WRITTEN, because that is fucking stupid.
>>
>>26884313
You missed my point, stuff that happens in canon DIDN'T happen in this story.
>>
>>26884333
I cannot believe you are actually this dense. I have run out of patience for dealing with your stupidity. Maybe that other anon will try to explain this shit in a way you can comprehend.

>inb4 claims of elaborate ruse
>>
>>26884397
Whoa man, what are you even upset about? There's no need to resort to shittalking, I thought we were having a calm discussion until you dropped this bomb.
Stuff that happens in the show doesn't happen in his story, not the other way around, and according to that tag info, that deserves an AU tag.
Sure I'm nitpicking and sure it's stupid, but it's a very poorly worded rule.
>>
>>26884438
>>26884333
>>stuff that happens in the show
all you have given us to go on is "everything is the same except after this point in canon stuff changes"

thats not a fucking AU. we (like 4-5 unique posters) explained it to you and you are not buying it, of course people are going to get frustrated.
>>
>>26884465
I'm not Autismo, I'm going off on something he said earlier in the thread, I just joined a discussion so I assumed people involved actually read the other posts.

>4-5
You mean you and the other guy?
>>
>>26884438
Unless it's a direct subversion of something that happened in the show, it doesn't deserve a AU tag. Simple as that.

A background for Starlight different than the one shown in the finale? AU
Starlight plotting a different scheme for control of Equestria or whatever she wanted to do? AU
A story with its own setting that uses Starlight's character in a way to further develop the plot? Not an AU.
>>
>>26884493
I think you got those mixed uo.
>>
>>26884438
You are literally telling people to mistag their stories. You've told Autismo to mistag NH 2 or 3 times now. We had this same conversation every time.and yet you still maintain this bizarre view of the correct use of the AU tag, which makes the tag meaningless and which contradicts the views of everyone ITT, the fimfiction mods, and any reasonable interpretation of the rules as written.
>>
>>26884641
This is my first time talking about it, actually.
>>
>>26882946
I really don't.
>>
File: Season 6 premiere mystery.png (101 KB, 380x452) Image search: [Google]
Season 6 premiere mystery.png
101 KB, 380x452
Speaking of changelings. Pic related happened. Who else is getting hyped for a "replaced by a baby changeling" season finale plot that won't actually happen and lead to disappointment?

>>26879296
>here goes NH's headcanon
Just wait until the dragon episode destroys all the dragon headcanons. It'll be Griffinstone 2.0

>voice horribly similar
Not to me. Twilight's mom and her's do though. It's like how Twilight would sound in thirty years.

>>26879890
I'd say Shimmer still being evil could qualify as being "significantly diverged" given she appears to be a major character going forward.

Although, if I were tagging it, I'd leave the AU tag out as it's more supposed to be for "total AU" scenarios rather than "canon didn't go the way my fanfic did." For those, you have Author Notes.

>>26880344
None of my upcoming fanfic ideas need to incorporate it.

>>26881920
A simple plot involving a single character. "Twilight files her taxes," "Dash has a picnic with Fluttershy," "Pinkie slips on pudding and falls into an ad hoc portal to a universe made of spaghetti." If you can sum up the entire plot in a single, simple sentence, you have the makings of a oneshot.

Think of the classic and derided "Proper Noun Verbs Article Common Noun" stories.

>>26882329
>steam trains
>no internal combustion engines
>telephones
>dirigibles
Headcanon has it between 1890-1905.

>>26882606
Paste it here.

(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_tpKptpiew_h3oByp6cJTLlGUPI68hcIQRbb-CPrD6c/edit?usp=sharing)

>>26883325
>Luna
Is she the main character? If so, yes. If not, no.

>Bon Bon
No. Canon has never defined her enough, so her being a changeling is still valid and she's a background pony with a short scene in one episode. Altering that's not a big enough change.

>Twilight
Absolutely an AU.

>around the time
In my book, if a story's posted prior to canon fucking up it's plot, it gets grandfathered in and doesn't need an AU tag.
>>
>>26884802
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jW5iH7M4O1WwxktmEbSrWt_akIa5r-B8EtjYKUIkFUk/edit?usp=sharing
Knock yourself out.
>>
>>26884895
>Speaking of changelings. Pic related happened. Who else is getting hyped for a "replaced by a baby changeling" season finale plot that won't actually happen and lead to disappointment?
changeling fag here. while this would be neat, I find myself wanting it more for the fact that if flurry is a changeling then she won't be an alicorn. maybe she's amaryllis's younger sister
>>
>>26884895
I'm getting a "i want to believe" poster printed out of this and I am hype
Will need to wait for 1080p color corrected version though
>>
>>26884895
>>Twilight
>Absolutely not an AU.
ftfy
>>
>>26884641
You all get pretty hot n' bothered over nothing at all. We don't heavily police tags currently; we care more about content rating and gore/sex tags. Crossover occasionally.
>>
Thats actually a pretty liberating feeling.
Whether you tag something properly or incorrectly it ultimately doesnt matter.
Because no one is going to read your autistic shit anyway
>>
>>26884909
OK. I just posted my story to this Google Doc. I'll be back tomorrow to read up on any feedback. Hope you all get a chance to look it over.
>>
>>26878158
>>
File: It will never happen.png (584 KB, 763x583) Image search: [Google]
It will never happen.png
584 KB, 763x583
So...
Since Sparity isn't going to happen...
>>
File: Glike.png (3 MB, 1280x4264) Image search: [Google]
Glike.png
3 MB, 1280x4264
...Do you think Glike will become a thing?
>>
>>26885960
>Glike
I hope not, with that name.
>>
File: Bon Air.png (32 KB, 297x54) Image search: [Google]
Bon Air.png
32 KB, 297x54
>>26885406
T'was alright. No major issues with it, though personally I would've liked a bit more build up and for the sex scenes to be a bit more descriptive, but it was an otherwise enjoyable read.

Good job.

----

In unrelated news, my Captcha said "Bon Air", and now I want to make a Con Air parody with retired agent Sweetie Drops as Nicolas Cage.
>>
I'm writing a lovecraftian/cosmic horror fic. At what point does that kind of theme become edgy? What should I avoid?
It doesn't have any OCs.
>>
>>26886090
Well, what do you suggest?
Spilight is already taken.
>>
>>26886408
Starlike, maybe?
>>
There is a serious lack of flurryheart clopfic
And I thought this fandom was fast
>>
>>26886846
here, written before the season even began
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/317847/flurried-flares
>>
>>26886846
theres always the hope that the entirety of the fandom will simply refuse to acknowledge that the abomination exists.

it will show up in one episode then fuck off into a hole somewhere with trenderhoof and flush sentry, never to be seen again
>>
>>26886436
>>26885960
This satisfies my autism.
>>
File: Shit in grass.png (66 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Shit in grass.png
66 KB, 256x256
Friendship is just a cheap emotion to make weak ponies stronger.
>>
>>26887419
>Friendship is just a cheap emotion to make weak ponies stronger.
thousands of years ago clever changelings tricked ponies into believing windigoes existed and brute forced the events of hearths warming in order to create a land of love and friendship for the changelings to easily farm delicious emotions.
over the years a good thing has been slowly destroyed by increasingly incompetent leadership
>>
>>26888054
So climate change is a lie after all.
>>
>>26888110
climate change is indeed a real thing. There were ice ages, droughts and floods long before pegasuses learned to manipulate the weather.
However, climate change being a result of minotaurs actions in the world is a complete and total farce
>>
>>26888168
I think that was sarcasm, anon, seeing that changelings made them believe the freezing was real.
>>
>>26885960
I hope so, I really enjoyed their interactions. I also feel like they're both "fifth wheels" of the group and they seem to be talking to each other the most.
>>
>>26886846
I don't know about clopfics, but I already have a Princess Flurry Heart category in my personal clop folder.
>>
>>26886924
Are you the same dumbass who thinks Flurry Heart is a Mary Sue?
>>
>>26888218
No, that's me.
And I never said FH is a Mary Sue (She needs to be an actual character for that), what I detest is how sickeningly comercial she is.
I mean, the show is a comercial, nothing new aboutr that. But FH took it far further than any other character.
>>
>>26888243
As if Flashlight and Twilicorn wasn't enough.
>>
>>26888243
She's literally just something to spice things up a little, and a decent plot point for the writers to do some minor alicorn lorebuilding and possibly set up a few episodes or a story arc in the future.
I don't see how she's any more "commercial" than any other character. And she obviously doesn't have a personality, she's just a baby.

>I never said FH is a Mary Sue
Sorry about that then, it's just the impression I got after you complained about her being super special and OP.
>>
>>26888272
>it's just the impression I got after you complained about her being super special and OP.
That's part of it. Part of selling a character is talking about how powerful and speshul said character is.
But my main point on this is how she, for example, doesn't go for longer than three seconds without making "Cute" baby noises in any of her scenes. And she is terribly powerful, even for baby magic outburst. She makes over a dozen holes in the crystal castle in the episode.
Also the design is uncanny valley IMO.
That's not to say I didn't like some things about the episode-- Shinning Armor falling to pieces over fatherhood had me laughing, for example.
>>
>>26888266
Twilicorn was bad because she didn't do anything to deserve it in that specific episode to warrant alicorn ascension. If they did after a really important two-parter, it would at least make sense.
Flashlight was bad because Flash was an awkwardly forced love interest that existed solely to complete the generic high school setting. Thankfully they dropped the idea and Twilight barely even interacts with him in any of the movies.
Flurry Heart, on the other hand, provides a good excuse to provide viewers with some information about alicorns, as well as a plot point for setting up future episodes. Compared to her, Shining Armor's sudden appearance was the blunder of the century.
>>
>>26888283
>some information about alicorns
except for the whole 'its different than any other known alicorn' thing
>>
>>26888295
I wish they had just taken the "Its a unicorn who can glide for a while" route.
Someone born with that much power, without doing anything to earn it, seems like a recipe for a Discord-esque villain.
Now that's an idea. Tyrant Flurry Heart a few thousand years in the future. I'll have to fuck around with it to see if something comes out.
>>
>>26888281
>Part of selling a character is talking about how powerful and speshul said character is.
But, as I explained to you, her magic outbursts were just like the unicorn magic outbursts in that episode where Pinkie takes care of the Cakes' children, it was more powerful simply because she's an alicorn, and she's special because she was BORN an alicorn, which tells us a bit more about Cadence, Celestia and Luna and sets up a possible mystery plot - WHY was she born a unicorn? We could see it explained in the season finale.
>But my main point on this is how she, for example, doesn't go for longer than three seconds without making "Cute" baby noises in any of her scenes.
Eh, that's just how babies work in any media.

>And she is terribly powerful, even for baby magic outburst.
It's just because she's an alicorn, an incredibly powerful race. A baby unicorn has already been shown to use some ridiculous magic powers, it makes sense that an alicorn would be even worse.

>Also the design is uncanny valley IMO.
That's just how babies look in MLP. I remember when everyone was going crazy over how creepy the first pony baby we've seen looks like. Pic related.
>>
>>26888295
It tells us that there has never been a born alicorn before, they have to do something to ascend.
That means that Luna and Celestia used to be normal ponies, until they did SOMETHING during Discord's rule that granted them alicornhood and the power to defeat him. It might be tied to the Elements og Harmony.

>>26888313
She'll most likely just be a Cadence-level alicorn in the future. What we'll actually see in the show will be her growing up, learning to use magic etc. like they hinted at in the episode when they were talking about Sunburst teaching her in the future.
>>
>>26888357
>What we'll actually see in the show will be her growing up
I certainly hope not.
>>
>>26888272
>>minor alicorn lorebuilding
no see, thats not the word you use when you take a wrecking ball to existing alicorn canon you retard.
>>
>>26889130
>Existing alicorn canon
Which one?
>>
>>26889217
everything related to alicorn reproduction, IE theyre rare because they implicitly cant reproduce, and yet flurry hearts existance basically says that alicorns should be everywhere, as we have two females for milenia, and then you'd have that baby, and then their babys baby, and so on. it completely trivializes celestias relationship with both luna and twilight, as an alicorns life span makes it fucking clear that celestia has been grooming twilight carefuly to become one, but it turns out all that care and work twilight did is completely unneccissary, you just have to be an alicorn and fuck litterally anybody; tada, alicorn baby, someone to share eternity with.
>>
>>26889403
Most of that is headcanon, but it's good and reasonable headcanon, and way more interesting than the shitty actual-canon we got yesterday.
>>
>>26889403
>alicorns should be everywhere, as we have two females for milenia, and then you'd have that baby, and then their babys baby
except we have one god queen that everyone is too terrified of to get an erection near her. Another just got out of prison for a 1000 year sentance, who everyone has a right to be too terrified of to bang. And a socially retarded introvert who probably thinks cooties are a communicable disease, and is related to 3 of the 4 males she knows.

Slutenza mi amore is simply the only alicorn in several millennia that has managed to get fucked at least once. if the others were more approachable then alicorns might actually be a viable 4th race and not the freaky oddities that they are
>>
>>26890087
Celestia could absolutely get laid if she wanted to. Most likely she wouldn't even need the standard shapeshift/disguise spell shenanigans.
>>
>>26878803
>Looks like the curse of theguysaidhi is back.
What's that supposed to mean?
>>
>>26890145
>Celestia could absolutely get laid if she wanted to.
doubtful. even if ponies werent pissing themselves in fear when in the same room as her theres the issue of size. Shes bigger than everyone else, to the point where she could likely take 3 cocks in her horsepussy at the same time and still not feel anything

>>26890526
shitty, boring, irrelevant OPs Im guessing
>>
>>26890540
Her thorax isn't significantly wider than anyone else's. What's stupid long are her legs and neck.
>>
>>26889403
All of this is headcanon. It's clear that something's wrong with Flurry Heart, because she's a weird exception to an otherwise solid rule, that's her entire point, and you're missing it.
>>
>>26890824
furry heart is clearly the reincarnated form of sombra, who undoubtedly has violated cadance with his big, black magic.

without doubt, the next furry tart episode will feature the vile creature gaining a fetish for crystals. and slaves, but mostly crystals
>>
>>26890540
>Irrelevant
Who started this ridiculous meme? Every thread theguysaidhi has ever done has alluded to a topic at hand or pictures posted in one way or another.
>>
>>26890979
I don't dislike him, but to be fair he does tend to miss a lot of happenings in the "In the last thread" sections.
>>
File: 1442073204495.png (330 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1442073204495.png
330 KB, 1000x1000
>Planning a fic for a while
>Do the research necessary
>Make the outline
>Make sure none of my shit goes against canon
>Make sure there isn't more than two OCs in any given interaction
>Start writing the prologue
>Sunburst killed by canon by being a shitty wizard.
>Magic can't grow
>Magical power is an inborn trait
>The whole character arc of a shitty wizard getting gud is out the fucking window because of a goddamn NEET.

I can't be bothered to rewrite this again, already went through three revisions.
How do you deal with show canon fucking over story canon?
>>
>>26891033
>>Make sure there isn't more than two OCs in any given interaction
You just check out the horseshoe political theory. It applies to pretty much everything.
Also, despite his OC look I ended up liking Sunburst. Finally a goddamn unicorn who can't bend time and space.
>>
>>26891086
I made the whole OC rule myself after noticing too many fics get absorbed and ruled by the author's OCs to the point that it isn't really even mlp anymore.
Exchange them with aliens and there would be no difference, I wanted to prevent that.

And while the idea that Sunburst can't magic reality, the fact that he knows spells like Twilight but lacks the power to cast them, despite having all the time in the world to get that power ruined the arc.
>>
>>26891130
>And while the idea that Sunburst can't magic reality
*and while the idea that Sunburst can't magic reality is cool
>>
>>26891033
>Magic can't grow
>Magical power is an inborn trait
Lol wut? Twilight spent all of S1 and S2 slowly getting stronger at magic. Do you remember her first teleport?

I think it's more likely that NEETburst is a wimp because he never did the magical equivalent of hitting the gym.
>>
is there even a point in writing a war fic
>>
>>26891238
Could anyone sum me up on how Starburst is?

>>26892838
If you're writing only for tactics and /k/ool, no. If you're writing about the actual effect of war on characters without going overboard edgy, then yes.
>>
>>26892850
He is good at the scientific part, but not so much aplicating it. Like Twilight without huge raw power.
>>
>>26892875
That's not so bad, at least he's somehow useful.

Kinda like how I always got 95s in theorical science and 79 in the practical part.
>>
>>26890540
are you retarded? who is going to turn down a litterall instance of fucking? All celestia has to do is command it and it would be done, as for willingly, there are plenty of people who would, just like there are plenty of us who would.
>>
>>26893507
Maybe she doesn't have time, since she's, you know, the supreme leader who makes the sun rise and the moon fall.
>>
>>26890979
Unless it literally says theguysaidhi in the namefield and not theguyisautistic or somehing like that, it's not him.
He kept ruining OPs not too long ago.
>>
File: mns.png (18 KB, 958x164) Image search: [Google]
mns.png
18 KB, 958x164
It's a beatiful day.
>>
>>26891130
>despite having all the time in the world to get that power
What? Who has ever said a unicorn can simply "get more power"? What the fuck?
>>
>>26891238
>Twilight spent all of S1 and S2 slowly getting stronger at magic. Do you remember her first teleport?
I think it was just practice, not literally increasing power level by casting spells.
>>
>>26893660
Who ever said they can't? The anon you're replying to wants his fic to include a unicorn who trains a bunch to be able to cast more powerful spells, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

>>26893683
Okay, but would you have any problem with a fic going the other way? So Twilight did some magical exercises off-screen to build up her mana reserves, and then taught them to the MC for his training?
>>
>>26893896
I wouldn't really have a problem with it, I just don't think magic works like an RPG in the show.
>>
>>26893909
How do you master it then? We know it isn't decided from birth, since Twalot could barely crack open an egg, and here she is as one of the best unicorn, a dozen or so years later.

I still don't think it's literally getting more power tho, more like almost every unicorn having the same amount of magical power, and using spells to learn to master it better. Or just injecting some crystals in your blood and being done with it.
>>
>>26894189
Like I said, practice. That's why the magic school even exists.
>>
>>26894196
I still wonder how Starburst got his potential wasted though. Maybe he dropped out or stuff before moving to the Crystal Empire.
>>
>>26894268
Maybe he really wasn't powerful enough. After all, Twilight's magic is simply stronger than any other unicorn's we've seen. Maybe their power levels are just random.

Or maybe he's working at McCrystal's and basically wasted his life because he needed money and didn't have time to practice.
>>
>>26894268
He said it himself: The things made sense on paper, but got confusing when he actually used them.
Lots of people are better at the technical part than on-the-field, or vice versa.
>>
>>26894294
That would be a nice story

>Oh Mr Starburst, we see you have enormous magical potential
>But you're too broke to study in Celestia's University
>Our two loans already got taken
>One by a varsity athlete who can't read
>Another by a mare with way less potential than you
>sucks to be you, go work at McCrystal's
>>
>>26894334
>>Another by a mare with way less potential than you
>yfw it was Twilight
>yfw Starburst could have been an alicorn prince
>>
>>26894334
>>26894364
Someone needs to write this.

I seriously wonder if Bleedin is up to the job, it would make a nice easy story for him.
>>
>>26894364
Sounds to me like Trixie, since the (Admitedly bad) comics showed her in the backgroundi n Celestia's school.
>>
>>26893586
>>I don't have time to propagate a race that gets more shit done per pony than the other three.
yeah somehow I doubt that.
>>
>>26895174
Would Queen Elizabeth go fuck any of her subjects to propagate the royal line? No. Celestia wouldn't do otherwise.

Alicorns are incredibly powerful, and, consequently, dangerous. Imagine there being a thousand alicorns about as powerful as Cadence in Equestria, one being born every year. 5% of them have large ambitions, and will do anything to get to them. That's 50 Cadence level ponies warring over Equestria. How fun does that sound?

Damn, I want this to happen now.
>>
>>26895309
For fuck sake we just had that Chrysallis argument.
YOU. ARE. READING. TOO. DEEP. INTO. THE SHOW. Babies don't come from a mother, they pop up when no one is looking after a mare has been fat for some time. Sex isn't a thing. Celestia isn't even a character, she is a quest giver NPC with mediocre stats.
>>
>>26895377
Another Anon.
>Sex isn't a thing.
What the fuck?

>complains about people reading too deep because they think sex exists
>while defending his point during lore discussion
>>
>>26895426
Again. Fucking again. You are reading too deep into my argument.
Read the phrase before the one you quoted, half-assed mongoloid.
>>
>>26895454
I did, it's still just as retarded as I remember.

>Again. Fucking again.
How about you actually read my fucking post, you braindead waste of air, literally the first damn thing I said was I'm not the same person you were talking to.
Your argument is stupid and your opinion's even worse.
>>
>>26895496
Tell me of any part of the show in which babies haven't been functionaly what I described.
They sell toys and appear from time to time because of plot. That's it. Searching for any kind of depth to anything is pretty idiotic when talking about MLP of all things.
Talking about depth in fanfics, or wether or not something would work in a fic, does have ground to work on, but this discussion has no arguments on either side. Its just a bunch of hot air, and a pretty flatulent one at that.
>>
>>26895543
>characters in a story appear because of plot
UNBELIEVABLE
OUTRAGEOUS
WHO HAS EVER HEARD OF SUCH A VILE PRACTICE

Lore discussion is meant to be based on researching canon, but also crafting your theories based on it and discussing it. That's it. It's fun. If you don't like it because in your super important opinion there is no depth to the show which has provided us with plenty of lore to work with, then shut the fuck up and let people do what they enjoy.
>>
>>26895601
>UNBELIEVABLE
You are taking it out of context. In-world, babies come from the mysterious land of between episodes, and nothing has proved the oposite.
>has provided us with plenty of lore to work with
You could put it in two or three pages at most.
Hell, you can barely call it lore. Its like calling a virus a living being-- it fills the basic quota of duplicating, but scratches so much at the edges of it that are left scratching your head.
>>
>>26895683
>In-world, babies come from the mysterious land of between episodes, and nothing has proved the oposite.
For obvious fucking reasons, but the goddamn show creator, Lauren Faust herself, has confirmed that ponies reproduce by having sex. Let's not be fucking retarded here.

Lore doesn't mean 30 million words of worthless fluff, like in TES, it means worthwhile information about the fictional world.
>>
>>26895719
>it means worthwhile information about the fictional world.
Again, we've been barely given any info. Its the reason people like worldbuilding so much, because there are so many blank spaces to fill.
Lets make an experiment. Read this: http://pastebin.com/raw/pzVhMgyb
Bang. I made a lore. Discuss autistically about the boom:ship rate.
For obvious reasons, "Lore" is generally used when there is a minimal ammount of information, even if (Tecnically) it is applicable in both MLP and my example.
>>
>>26895777
Did I just witness the most forced false equivalency fallacy of all time?
>>
>>26895902
>Changeling is their queen
Chrysallis*
>>
>>26895902
And, like I said, it's all you really need. What, do you want to know all 1366 traditional changeling prayers and 78 casual greetings? It would never matter and be useless fluff, written for the sake of being written.
Ignoring the fact that MLP is just a cartoon that focuses on Slice of Life stuff and not an RPG series heavily focused on worldbuilding, TES lore is a huge mess of pointless crap and should never be an example of good lore building, especially since all the info is provided in long, raw data dumps with characters explaining stuff that are common knowledge in-universe. It's an absolute blunder in terms of writing.
>>
File: asdasd.png (12 KB, 982x221) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.png
12 KB, 982x221
>>26896008
Wait why is the post deleted? weird. And >changing the goal so blatantly
Give me a single example of infodumps, because in no game I've played have I been given one. If you want lore in TES, you either asks explicitly someone who knows or go fishing for books. And TES lore is simply the best example of videogames, and a pretty respectable one regardless of context.
>>
>>26896055
No idea, I thought you deleted it because maybe you wanted to change something.

I didn't "change the goal", all I'm doing is addressing your own points.

>Give me a single example of infodumps, because in no game I've played have I been given one. If you want lore in TES, you either asks explicitly someone who knows or go fishing for books.
Right here. To get any information about the world, you have to read 30 paragraphs of an NPC dumping information on you, which are often common knowledge, like people, places or events. It's definitely not as bad in Skyrim, but older games definitely have this problem.
It's not a good example of lore, it's just an example of overcomplicated lore. It's filled with fluff, the interesting bits are buried underneath pages of text, and you have to actively TRY to find info dumps if you want to learn anything that matters.
>>
>>26896175
>No idea, I thought you deleted
Huh, system must've farted.
>you have to read 30 paragraphs of an NPC dumping information on you, which are often common knowledge, like people, places or events
Whaaaaat duuuuuuuuuude?
No NPC gives you obvious info-dumps, the only one I can think about right now is a Telvanni who gives you information not found in any other place or game, and as I said you have to ask him explicitly about it.
Thinking about it... if you ask (Again, explicitly) about the locations of cities, something than an outsider (Which you are) might not know, they give you quick info of how to get there, things like "Turn south in the crossway between Caldera and Balmora"
But again, you are changing the goal. All I did was make a single mention of TES, if you don't have arguments stop with the hot air.
>>
>>26896262
Well, see, I disagree. In Morrowind and Oblivion all you get in terms of dialogue is asking a question about a quest or about the world. Then the NPC drops a full paragraph on you about that topic.
The only other means of getting information about the lore is reading in-game books, which are full of fluff themselves.

>But again, you are changing the goal. All I did was make a single mention of TES, if you don't have arguments stop with the hot air.
I'm sorry, what? I was the one who mentioned TES, and you're the one who started heavily focusing on it.
>>26895719 is me
>>26895902 is you
>>
>>26896175
>>26896331

Another anon than >>26896262

Even in Skyrim infodump is omnipresent, while more in-universe with books and villagers. But then, a game/show's purpose is to do general worldbuilding, leaving the obscure parts to us writers.
>>
>>26896331
> Then the NPC drops a full paragraph on you about that topic.
We both know that's a lie. Oblivion has very little dialogue compared to older TES games and in Morrowind you have to ask for directions to get, for example
>"Old Caius rents a little bed-and-basket just up the hill on the north edge of town. Go out the front door -- NOT the upper door to the terrace -- then right up the stairs, then left at the top of the stairs and down to the end of the street."
Which isn't even fifty words. Wow such infodump
>and you're the one who started heavily focusing on it.
Nope. I said,
>If I wanted to give an example about TES I'd write something quickly about the Dunmer and ancestor worship
And then you changed the argument to
>Lol TES lore a shit anyway
>>26896424
>Even in Skyrim infodump is omnipresent
Haven't played it personally, but I've seen little to prove such a thing.

Honestly, I am done with arguing with someone who doesn't have any proof behind his arguments. I'll go do something more productive like watching paint dry.
>>
>>26896494
And where is your proof, my fine sir?
>>
>>26896494
It's not very little if literally all they say is something about the world. Asking about the way doesn't count because it's fucking mandatory in Morrowind and part of gameplay more than dialogue.

>Nope. I said,
>>If I wanted to give an example about TES I'd write something quickly about the Dunmer and ancestor worship
>And then you changed the argument to
>>Lol TES lore a shit anyway
Holy shit, you're actually in denial. I mentioned TES and how its lore isn't very good and then you mentioned the Dunmer in the next post. Re-read the last few posts.

>Honestly, I am done with arguing with someone who doesn't have any proof behind his arguments.
>said Anon, while providing no proof behind his arguments

Something more productive for you would be killing yourself, at least you'd free up that food and air you've been wasting on yourself.
>>
>>26896494
>>26896542

Also,

>>If I wanted to give an example about TES I'd write something quickly about the Dunmer and ancestor worship

Where did he ever say that? Isn't >>26895902 you?
>>
>>26896574
In >>26895902
>If I wanted to probe the depth of TES' lore, I'd write down a few lines about the Dunmer traditions and ancestor worship, because that gives a proportional example of the volume TES' lore has.
>>
>>26896607
That's you fucking dumbass.
>>
>>26896644
I honest-to-god don't know what the shit you are on about right now. I mentioned TES for an example and you started arguing about it.
>>
>>26896686
The guy you're talking to isn't me. I'm the one you were arguing with. He's just confused, but so are you, apparently.
>>
>>26896710
I think that the argument almost reached uroborus status.
Reminds me of once in /g/ where an argument about human rights turned into people agreeing with each other agresively or something. We all shared the opinion of
>"Yeah, invading someone is a dick move but killing the enemy leader to end the conflict is justified"
Only we shouted at each other about it for like two hours.
I am laughing out loud over here.
>>
>>26896686
Also, as I said, I mentioned it here >>26895719

You started going on about it here >>26895902

Stop pretending it didn't happen, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>26896740
I'm starting to think there are 4 people involved in this and one guy just thoroughly rused all of us.
>>
>>26896742
How is the first mention of TES relevant. My example was an off-handed one.
Could we stop this all already? I agree with >>26896751 in this.
>>
File: firefox_2016-03-28_04-10-28.png (10 KB, 670x149) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-03-28_04-10-28.png
10 KB, 670x149
>>26896760
I, for one, am enjoying this.
>>
>>26896765
I can't stop laughing.
>>
File: 1383666918457.jpg (6 KB, 222x227) Image search: [Google]
1383666918457.jpg
6 KB, 222x227
>>26896780
This is so stupid
>>
File: 1431793208496.webm (46 KB, 733x533) Image search: [Google]
1431793208496.webm
46 KB, 733x533
>>26896811
At the end of the day life is just a variety of sillyness.
>>
>>26884934
>she won't be an alicorn
Cadance still gave birth to her and the changeling only appears at the end of the episode, so any changeling ruse is still going to involve Flurry, the alicorn baby.

>>26885406
>foalcon
Stopped reading there. It was honestly pretty good childhood SoL up until then and then the MILF stuff came in and ruined it. None of it seemed natural at all. Which I suppose is the curse of most clop. Why would someone's mom suddenly have sex with their kid's best friend? How would the kid even know what the fuck to do?

>>26885960
In fanfics/fanart? Of course. Canon? Absolutely not. The writers already think Sparity's creepy because he's a child. That's not going to change because it's a different unicorn.

>>26886924
>not wanting a "changeling replacement" plot
>not wanting a "Twilight freaks out over babysitting her" plot
>not wanting her to turn into a spoiled bitch when she's a kid only to get her comeuppance and grow as a character

>>26889403
>they implicitly cant reproduce
I don't ever recall that being mentioned in an episode, or even comic or book for that matter.

>two females for milenia
I also don't recall Luna or Celestia ever having a child. Given how most ponies treat them (see: A Bird in the Hoof), I wouldn't be surprised if their vaginas have been vacant for those millennia.

>>26891033
>writing a fanfic about an upcoming show character
As my readers told me many times during the lead up to Twilicorn, who gives a shit? Write the fic and either slap the AU tag on it or explain things in the author notes.

People aren't reading fanfics for show canon. That's why there's a show.

>>26891130
>to get that power
You can read and memorize every link in the /fit/ sticky, but if you don't actually practice and do any of it, you're never going to be able to lift.

That's what Sunburst did. He read, and he read, and he read--but he never actually did any of it.
>>
File: firefox_2016-03-28_04-27-42.png (22 KB, 193x805) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-03-28_04-27-42.png
22 KB, 193x805
>>26896910
That can't be right, Anon.
>>
File: screenshot.529.png (79 KB, 136x196) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.529.png
79 KB, 136x196
>>26896959
Liar.
>>
>>26896959
There's no way this isn't shopped though. How the fuck could he not remember what posts he did or didn't make?
>>
>>26896981
The deleted post was yours too, right?
>>
>>26896995
Yup, still no idea what happened there.
>>
File: no u.png (10 KB, 139x527) Image search: [Google]
no u.png
10 KB, 139x527
>>26896959
>>26896981
Both liars
>>
>>26896990
Maybe he just rushed it. I didn't edit the screenshot.
>>
>>26896945
Wasn't writing about Sunburst but thanks for the advice.
I think I'll write a quick greentext in one of the story threads, before I get back to work on it.
>>
>>26896959
>>26896981
>>26897001
I like how we all have drastically different themes, too.
You guys wanna fuck?
>>
>>26897001
How'd that pic prove me a li-?
Oh.
Sillyness. All of it.
>>26897011
My pic proves you wrong tho. You had Around seven minutes to edit the pic, I had around 40 seconds. One of the pics is edited.
>>26897025
Sure. I claim the boypussy.
>>
>>26897025
Why not, nous sommes trois dans le même ménage, la politesse la plus simple est de faire un ménage à trois et de se fourrer
>>
File: nou2.png (375 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
nou2.png
375 KB, 1366x768
>>26897035
I hope this fixes something
>>
File: no u3.png (142 KB, 672x688) Image search: [Google]
no u3.png
142 KB, 672x688
Other clearer pic
>>
File: 1440737402892.png (54 KB, 281x213) Image search: [Google]
1440737402892.png
54 KB, 281x213
I am very confused.
>>
>>26897035
I didn't edit the screenshot. I edited the page code through the dev console.

>>26897038
Is that you, Autismo? Kurwa stary, co za zbieg okoliczności. Let's engage in some hot /int/ercourse afterwards.

>>26897057
>Undertale
>Civ V
>probably modded Minecraft
You know what, fuck it, let's marry.

Wow, this argument changed into circlejerking really fast.
>>
>>26897105
I don't even know what the argument is about.
I think we are agresively trying to trick ourselves into an orgy or something?
'Cause I am totally game.
>>
Who's ready to recommend a mystery story for me?
>>
>>26897105
Here's what it looked like:

lore discussion between anon1 and anon2 > anon1 drops out, anon3 replaces him > both parties angry as fuck > anon4 joins, very confused, no idea what's going on > all three laugh it off > gay circlejerking

I'm just as confused to be honest.
>>
>>26897131
I'm ready to find a good mystery fic.
>>
>>26897131
Not this thread, it seems.
Dusk Falls has some mystery, but it's not very well executed.
Games We Play is a good romance story with a focus on the mystery.

I don't know any other decent ones.
>>
>>26897131
Try to figure out what this argument is about. LGTB relationships, winding paths, romantic triangles, you mention it.
>>
>>26897163
>Games We Play
Supporting this.
>>
>>26897164
>Try to figure out what this argument is about.
Mystery of the year.
>>
>>26897180
Do you have a link? My search is only bringing up a crappy OC fic.
>>
>>26897259
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/3479/the-games-we-play , first result.
>>
>>26897315
What does it take to get a story featured on EqD? Is it worth it?
>>
>>26897591
Send it to them, their pre-readers review it, if it's decent enough, they'll feature it.
>>
>>26897611
Obviously, but what do their prereaders like?
>>
Past or Present Tense?

http://strawpoll.me/7205470
>>
>>26897633
Their job is just checking if it's written properly and write like a sentence or two about it. You don't have to appeal to them.
>>
>>26897642
Past tense with occasional switch to present to build tension.
>>
Prompt:
Write an Octavia story that doesn't involve Vinyl Scratch in any way. Please. I'll make it a contest if I have to.
>>
>>26893641
>individual chapters longer than most books
who does this and thinks its a good idea?
>>
I'm looking for an old fic that my friend wrote. I can't ask him about it for reasons. I've read it and it's actual pretty good. Each chapter focuses on a different member of the mane 6, plus a chapter about Derpy. It does the cliched pinkie is depressed thing. RD gets addicted to berries I think. Rarity goes broke. Fluttershy ends up being shipped with RD. AJ likes RD also but dates Golden Harvest or Carrot Top or whatever for a little. I have no idea what Twilights chapter is about. In Derpys chapter you learn why shes retarted, and it turns out shes a spy (I think?)

There's a sequel where Twilight thinks she killed another pony and goes insane trying to hide it.

I know I haven't explained this very well, I'm on phone and it takes me years to type on phone. I can give a little more info on the chapters if needed when I get home. I've been looking for this for ages and any help would be appreciated
>>
>>26898260
I want a story where Twilight thinks she is kill.
>>
>>26898321
havent seen that. have seen one where she thinks she no kill but is
>>
>>26898260
Ok, now that I'm home I can expand on this a little.
Not much I can really add about the Pinkie chapter, Dash finds out she's depressed and she cries into her alot. Dash kinda gets annoyed having her constantly cry into her all the time.

Dash broke her wing or something and Flutterbut gave her some pain med berries. Long story short she gets addicted to them, finds a whole heap of them in the forest and practically dies. Twilight rocks up and does some voodoo magicks where she swaps Flutterbutts life force with Dash, and then she lives somehow. through FRIENDSHIP I guess
Now that I think about it, I think Rarity goes broke in the sequel, so not going to expand on it.
Flutterbut gets with Dash after the berry thing, but Dash ends up not being a les and leaves her.
Not much I can add to the bestpone part, she likes Dash and dates some background pony. I'm pretty sure she ends up in a fight with Dash for one reason or another. (As in a full on, break some bones fight)
Twilight's chapter I think is about her finding out the real reason why Celestia banished Luna.
Derpy's chapter is set right after the first Gilda episode, and she has flashbacks to when she was a spy or something. She got into a fight with some griffons or something that killed the parents of the filly version of her. Not much else I can remember about it.

In the sequel, the pony that Twilight kills is the owner of the joke shop. She goes crazy trying to hide it, eye twitches and all.
Also in the sequel, Flutterbutt goes sent to an asylum, and I think it was because of Twilight trying to cover her ass, where she's pretty much declared insane because she can commune with animals and stuff.
The nurse that declared her insane is the same pony that Twilight thought she had killed.

That's all I've got, that's the best I can do. I've been searching for this for weeks.

I know it probably sounds like a retarded story but it actually is written very well.
>>
>>26898260
>>26899007
Just ask your fucking friend, jesus christ. What is stopping you?
>>
>>26898260
>>26899007
That has got to be nearly the most retarded horsewords related thing Ive ever read.

Why would you want to find such tripe again?

Are you going to out your former friend as a autistic shitlord? because thats the only reason I can think of for bringing that shit up here and not just going straight to the source
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.