[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bump if you hate generals and think they're cancer.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: large (16).png (617 KB, 1015x1024) Image search: [Google]
large (16).png
617 KB, 1015x1024
Bump if you hate generals and think they're cancer.
>>
>not numbering the thread either last thread + 1 or using a comedy number like 420 (the drug number) or 69 (the sex number)
>not pasting the mile-long, meticulously-curated list of every single contributor and fan fiction and art that nobody ever reads
>not linking the offsite wiki
>not bleating a request for writefags and drawings while dumping deep images
>not even using a cute /subreddit/ name in the Subject field
wait, this isn't a general at all!
>>
>>27663238
nice one, anon!
>>
>>27662249
bumping for more greentext bait threads
>>
Generals are pretty stupid desu, I feel like they do the opposite job they're intended to do and usually limit conversation rather than encompass all conversation for something

Like...if you made a thread about Berry Punch and started if with something you actually wanted to discuss, it would be more useful than simply saying BERRY PUNCH GENERAL and expecting anything to come of it, but then again the people opposite of me who thrive in their favorite generals will say I'm wrong but fuck them they just like having their little sub sections of the board to dominate
>>
>>27663323
literally the only difference between your idea of posting a new thread every time a thought crosses your mind and a general is that a general is already a collection of people who have those thoughts cross their mind.

>they just like having their little sub sections of the board to dominate
stop being such a pussy and go join the conversation.
>>
>>27663340
>literally the only difference between your idea of posting a new thread every time a thought crosses your mind and a general is that a general is already a collection of people who have those thoughts cross their mind.
Not really....if you have a thread with a purpose people might enter it who otherwise wouldn't, if you just post BERRY PUNCH GENERAL...lots of people aren't going to even enter it because that says nothing, it doesn't make people want to respond to it because there is nothing to respond to

>stop being such a pussy and go join the conversation.
You mean join the endless bumps and image dumps?

It really shouldn't be so hard for people to have an actual topic or thought when making a thread
>>
good posting:
>How would Berry Punch feel about new health guidance from Canterlot? Does she really brew her own hooch?
bad posting:
>berry punch general #45, post pics of booze horse. [link to pastebin last updated in 2014]
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 352x365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 352x365
>>27662249
Oh look, it's the anti-general general, but with the additional cancer of being a "like/upvote/bump this if you" Facebook/YouTube/Reddit post.
>>
>>27663366
best posting:
>Hey /bpg/, how would Berry Punch feel about new health guidance from Canterlot? Does she really brew her own hooch?
>>
>>27663405
No, because the fact that a /bpg/ would even exist is exclusive...why would anybody who might not care about Berry Bunch enter a thread where the OP clearly has nothing to discuss? It comes down to two things really....laziness to put effort into threads and wanting to create exclusive clubs on a board that in a way is already an exclusive club, it does nobody any favors and just splits the board up into sub sections that don't need to exist.

>>27663398
Nice contribution to the thread, I totally get your point on why generals are a positive thing.
>>
>>27663419
>exclusive club
the way you keep talking, i think /mlpg/ is the only general youve actually looked into. you can easily join any general in progress and no one would know when you got there.

however, in the spirit of science, ill do an experiment later and cap the results.
>>
>>27663426
I've never actually went into /mlpg/ desu, and I'm not exactly basing my experience on generals with /mlp/ strictly but this site as a whole

The point is, making a constant general with no actual topic is preventing people from making more creative threads that might actually bring discussion and not have to be bumped constantly, I really see no purpose in creating a general for something with no true topic other than pretty much wanting to own the thread....lots of times you see threads die because nobody was interested with lots of pointless bumps, only to be reborn immediately with the exact same non topic as the last...basically creating a culture of being stagnant

I don't think it's so much to ask that people actually put more then two seconds though into a thread, because most of us browse the catalog and check out interesting threads, there is nothing interesting about a thread that simply says _________ GENERAL, other than to the people who made it or the others who are already in it....this is what i mean by exclusive, it creates a status quo and there really shouldn't be any, if there were no generals people would have have to have a reason for posting a thread
>>
>>27663451
>making a constant general with no actual topic is preventing people from making more creative threads
i believe even with /sun/ up, you can still make a celestia thread. generals prevent nothing.
theyre only bumped when no new content is being produced or no one has an interesting conversation to discuss. by proxy, avoiding posting your discussions in said threads is actually causing the problem you have with them.
the point is to gather people of similar interests into one place. see this board? it gathers people interested in mlp into one location to discuss mlp. generals do the same thing, like a sub-folder. also no one owns any threads. im not sure why you keep referring to generals like theyre some sort of privately owned website.
intelligent general posters know if the thread is too slow, you let it die and try again next week when content might ready. usually its the newfags who want to be the one who has the "honor" of making a thread who create it again right away.
youre judging an entire threads content based solely on what the OP says. the OP of a general doesnt need to be very creative since its the discussions going on inside that matter.

and to finish off, ill repeat that generals arent stopping anyone from making any thread they wish. its a false argument to blame generals for your lack of creativity, and ive yet to see anyone who thinks the board would be better off banning them come up with any reasons why they cant make the thread they wish existed.
>>
>>27662249
Just hide them faggit.
>>
>>27663308

All these shit writefags need to fuck off to FimFic where they can be properly ignored, instead of shitting up 4chan with massive walls of crappy writing that no one ever reads.

tl;DR: Your writing is shit. Go be an attention whore somewhere else.
>>
>>27663474
>theyre only bumped when no new content is being produced or no one has an interesting conversation to discuss.
Which is what I mean by pointless bumps
>avoiding posting your discussions in said threads is actually causing the problem you have with them.
No, because like I said many people will not enter a thread if the thread itself is not interesting...so all there ends up being is a couple people in a thread with nothing to talk about a lot of times since nobody is joining in. I don't care for....idk, Twist...if I saw a thread simply saying TWIST HERE NOW, I would not bother....if the OP had something to say about Twist I would feel compelled to respond
>the point is to gather people of similar interests into one place. see this board? it gathers people interested in mlp into one location to discuss mlp. generals do the same thing, like a sub-folder.
You don't need sub folders of a sub folder, it makes the board less active...we are all MLP fans, placing the Rainbow Dash fans here and the Chrysalis fans here does nothing to improve the board's activity, it stunts it by creative exclusive groups rather than promote group discussion as a whole
> usually its the newfags who want to be the one who has the "honor" of making a thread who create it again right away.
And this site never has a shortage of those
>its a false argument to blame generals for your lack of creativity
I'm saying the people who make generals rather than creative threads have a lack of creativity
> ive yet to see anyone who thinks the board would be better off banning them come up with any reasons why they cant make the thread they wish existed
I've yet to see anybody who thinks the board is better off WITH generals present an argument for why they are a positive thing

Even Moot said generals were cancer before he left, he was right, people use generals as private chatrooms and take up space
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.