[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, /m/en... Just watched the first episode of Gundam Reconguista
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 42
Okay, /m/en...

Just watched the first episode of Gundam Reconguista in G. The protagonist seems pretty boss, but the setting, art, and story thus far seem a bit too much like Eureka Seven meets silly episodes of Victory Gundam. Am I in for bad times?

I concede to being a grimdark UC-loving oldfag, by the way.
>>
>>14217030
>grimdark UC-loving oldfag
G-Reco might not be for you, and I say this as someone who holds Victory as my favorite Gundam. I really liked G-Reco but it's light-hearted. Instead of war being HELL but a necessary evil that occurs when two irreconcilable ideas clash, it leans more towards telling you that war is over-idealized and avoidable. Don't listen to shitposters who say it made zero sense. It suffers from being directed by Tomino, and the faults of that show, but that's also its greatest strength. It's more King Gainer than Zeta Gundam. In the end just make up your own mind.

Oh, and the art is absolutely wonderful.
>>
>>14217064
Thanks for the rundown, bro.

The mecha design is definitely...interesting. Does it hit the usual notes? Char analogue, space-earth-space, mobile armor of the week, etc? Do they explore the piracy angle or is it a jumping-off point?
>>
>UC
>grimdark
>>
>>14217145
It does have the "usual notes". The piracy angle is more a jumping-off point.

The mecha designs in the show are often very weird, but G Reco does some pretty interesting shit with them, and you get some mecha battles in the anime that you simply won't get anywhere else. And they are often well animated to boot.
>>
>>14217145
Yes and no. Remember that it's Tomino, so there won't be a REAL Char clone. He hasn't written a proper Char since MSG. There are really interesting MS designs throughout and their gimmicks kind of fill the MA slot, although there are proper MA by the end. And yes, there is travel from Earth to space to colonies and back and forth and in-between. Don't want to say much more so nothing is spoiled, though.

Don't be scared by something like the Recten though, the MS design is just a little crazy. Tomino didn't want to be bound by model kit specs so Bandai let him commission whatever shit he wanted. Really the whole series is Bandai's gift to Tomino in my eyes considering how much freedom he was given.
>>
>>14217221
Armorzaggan was a proper MA, but it's on the wrong side...

The Assault Armor also a Dendrobium-type MA and it shows up a few times until it gets destroyed.
>>
File: 1441309306994.png (365 KB, 960x800) Image search: [Google]
1441309306994.png
365 KB, 960x800
>>14217221
tfw no hg hecate
tfw no hg recten
tfw no hg yggdrasil
>>
>>14217283
Damn.
I don't mind.
Absolute travesty.
>>
>>14217030
Watch and form your own opinion
>>
>>14217335
He doesn't have to watch if it's too exciting for him
>>
>>14217188
>No piracy
Damn. IT. Thanks, though.

>>14217221
Fair enough. Thanks, homie.
>>
>>14217353
Their is space war and STEER tho
>>
>>14217152
>What is 0079
>What is Zeta
>What is Victory
>>
File: guide.jpg (1 MB, 2362x2818) Image search: [Google]
guide.jpg
1 MB, 2362x2818
>>14217030
Greco is Turn A mixed with Victory and ZZ but with less of the bad things happening and more wanting to fuck your hot sister

Also here is a helpful chart if you need help, does contain spoilers so don't read in full just yet
>>
File: 8EtKPsn.png (488 KB, 1480x1148) Image search: [Google]
8EtKPsn.png
488 KB, 1480x1148
>>14220477
And here is a prettier one from pixiv

>>14217221
Mask is actually quite close to Char in his arc. Original goal with arguably noble intentions but becomes obsessed with his rival. Bellri even does a lalah on best girl
>>
File: Raraiya great justice.jpg (421 KB, 726x1200) Image search: [Google]
Raraiya great justice.jpg
421 KB, 726x1200
>>14220487
>in moon
>>
>>14220225
None of those things are grimdark. The latter two might be mellodramatic and overly grim, but that's not the same as grimdark.
>>
>>14220739
0079 literally starts with "half of mankind died in a single week", that's kinda grimdark.
>>
>>14220766
Infinity Gauntlet starts with Thanos literally killing half the universe but it's goofy comics fun.
>>
File: dhhd.jpg (84 KB, 430x1100) Image search: [Google]
dhhd.jpg
84 KB, 430x1100
>>14220563
Raraiya is a cute
>>
>>14220773
iirc Thanos just poofs them out of existence, but Gundam seems to indicate that there's lots of bodies to clean up outside of the Colony Drop
>>
File: 1461566375556.gif (210 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1461566375556.gif
210 KB, 500x500
>>14217030
>grimdark
>UC-loving
>oldfag

So much disease accumulated at one place.
You should watch G-Reco, it was Tomino's tonic for fans like you to cure you to a normal genki person
>>
File: 1458614439925.png (20 KB, 421x399) Image search: [Google]
1458614439925.png
20 KB, 421x399
>>14220477
>>14220487
>dat lore and world building

It deserved at least 35 episodes. While I do appreciate it,was it that difficult to get it since every normie (aka never seen gundam before crowd ) and their mother had to b explained this ?

No wonder IBO was Gundam Wing of this decade.
>>
File: 1460219191399.jpg (70 KB, 454x454) Image search: [Google]
1460219191399.jpg
70 KB, 454x454
>>14220225
Grimdark means worst kind of kind humanity to be been through is the best option they have.

All those war occurred because some asshole was doing the regular war thing, not the Grimdark war where it is the only thing one can do, to stall the unstoppable doom that is gradually approaching.
>>
>>14217030
>Eureka Seven meets silly episodes of Victory Gundam
The tone stays pretty much the same through the whole show. It constantly seems like it's building up to something, but never gets around to HAPPENING and just kind of fizzles out in the ending.
Once the guy who was scheming to start the war falls off a cliff, everyone just stops and goes home.

If you're the kind of person to watch a show thinking "I wonder what kind of new backpack and previously unmentioned RAYHUNTON CODE ATTACK" Belliri will use to effortlessly solve today's situation" then you'll love it. There are lots of pretty colors and beams.

If it's going to bother you that almost every backpack is explained as "we/they originally developed this pack for [other mobile suit] but it will only work with your G-Self" then you're going to hate it.

If you're waiting for the tone to serious up like the second arc of ZZ, give up now.
>>
Really didn't expect the thread to be up this long.

>>14221369
>If you're waiting for the tone to serious up like the second arc of ZZ, give up now.
Noted. Second half of ZZ is one of my favorite arcs in the setting. Especially Dublin.[/spolier]

>>14220477
My sister's married to a cop, so knock yourself out!

>>14221267
IMO one of the greatest strengths of the Gundam franchise is how many different flavors there are. There's no one way to interpret or write a Gundam story.

It's like the James Bond of mecha anime.
>>
File: SmBhS3G.png (443 KB, 610x406) Image search: [Google]
SmBhS3G.png
443 KB, 610x406
>>14222106
Well, I fucked up.
>>
File: dfghbjn.png (210 KB, 540x756) Image search: [Google]
dfghbjn.png
210 KB, 540x756
>>14221290
eh, the lore wasn't really the point so it isn't bad the series didn't get too bogged down in it.

Kinda like a Ghibli movie where the worlds are very well thought out but that's not the story
>>
>>14223007
Dis
>>
>>14217030
Source: コンプティーク 2015年8月号 増刊 TYPE‐MOONエースVOL.10
Comptique (August 2015) zoukan, Type-Moon Ace Vol. 10
ASIN: B00YWYL8F6

Voice from Type Moon Relations / Urobuchi Gen no Yaritaizakari

(Interview with Urobuchi Gen)

http://imgur.com/pJUC4Dm

A story is a method with which one separates things into good and evil via their imagination. It is a system needed for people to keep themselves sane and deal with the unreasoning chaos of reality. Religion offers the story of salvation, for example. Likewise, morals and ethics could be defined as the most popular story of the people of the age. But while these stories are harmless as long as they're used to keep individuals calm, this changes when they're used as tools for a country or race. Stories like "jews are an inferior race that have to be purged" and "capitalists are devils and if you suicide bomb them you can go to heaven" brought about tragedies due to their popularity. For an example on a smaller scale, it's not uncommon that a story that one person regards as a "small love story" turns out to be to the world at large a kidnapping of a minor. At times, stories are a poison that can drive a person mad. This presents a dilemma to us creators: If there are infinite possibilities in writing, is it possible to write a story about the potential danger of stories? A story that renounces stories? Yes it is. Reconguista of G did it.
>>
>>14217030
>>14225668
The villains of G-Reco are the people who take the simple event of "the Crescent Moon Ship is coming from Venus" and add their own interpretations to twist it into a story with which they can move the world. The exact same thing that dictators and cult leaders have done throughout history. Belri stops them by going along with the flow and doing his best to handle only what's in front of him. That's why there's no intentional dramaturgy to be found in the story which is shown from his viewpoint, and instead it's like reading a replay of a tabletop RPG or watching a documentary on the Discovery Channel where you're left in a vagueness free of undulations with no clear rhythm. The easiest example of someone fooled by the danger of stories is Mask. As a passionate revolutionary who seeks to free the oppressed caste of the Kuntala, he at first seems to be more of a hero than Belri, who just wanders around with no clear goal. However, in the show itself, discrimination against the Kuntala is only mentioned, and not once seen. In other words, in the world of G-Reco, discrmination against the Kuntala exists only in Mask's imagination, and this is his "story". And in order to complete said story, he forces onto Belri the roleplaying of the villain.
>>
>>14225671
>>14217030
This is solely because Belri's lineage and surroundings contain elements that would make him a good villain for Mask. That Belri doesn't respond by arguing with his old friend dramatically is what makes G-Reco amazing. In the end, Belri doesn't commit himself to a greater good or fate or anything above his personal level, and at each point in time only does what he thinks he ought to do at the moment. No matter how much his ex-friend runs around going crazy, Aida's more important to him. And at the end of this one-sided game of tag completely out of place between a robot anime's protagonist and his rival, the final episode concludes with the unthinkable, in which he just abandons the fight and runs off in his core fighter. All that's left are people who are strong enough to live without the lies of stories. They are freed from the boring curses known as "catharsis" or "conclusions" and head towards the future. When I saw the end credits I was just moved, and exlaimed " they did it!". I had been worried about the limits of storytelling, and was just thankful for this slap from a veteran creator to me. Reconguista of G made me genki.
>>
>>14225671
I wouldn't say Bellri just wanders. It's just that his intent is obfuscated most of the time and only becomes in brief moments where we're told or shown in obvious implications or explicit statements.

It's still a far cry from MUH KUNTALA PURIDO Mask
>>
>>14225676
Genki urobutcher is not a good thing
>>
>>14217030
Asahi Shinbun Digital, Subculture Commentary by Uno Tsunehiro
"It's made to be hard to understand." (6th June 2015)

Tomino Yoshiyuki's latest work, Gundam: The Reconguista of G, which ended in March, continues to draw controversy even months after its conclusion.

The far future of Mobile Suit Gundam's Universal Century. After numerous space wars, civilisation on Earth regressed, and only by using the technology of the Universal Century to a limited degree are people living on. The story follows a boy and girl on Earth as they're thrown into a war surrounding remnants of UC technology, but it's nearly impossible to understand the entire story at one glance.

Conversations between characters don't seem to fit together, and the most basic of explanations about the situation have to be deducted from the most nonchalant of lines. A massive amount of information that you can only begin to understand after rewatching recordings several times while taking notes, and a miniscule amount of explanation lead to many viewers saying that they don't understand it. It is in my opinion however that it's made to be hard to understand.
>>
>>14225671
>discrimination against the Kuntala is only mentioned, and not once seen
Except when that guy kicked Noredo in the gut.
And when those guys laughed about the Kuntala Unit failing (again).

I thought you rectards were the masters of PAY ATTENTION.
>>
>>14225695
The real world we live in doesn't have a narrative with an all-seeing point of view to organise and record all events. Every single person has their own separate, detached experiences. Fictional worlds, however, are organised; Seen and put together through the eyes of their creator.

In other words, the 20th century was an age where we found out that while localised contexts have to be understood for three-dimensional real experiences to be shared, organised two-dimensional realities (images) could be shared widely through society easily without a need for this. It is a result of this that the media expanded, and it became an age where massive societies of unprecedented scale could be managed. Animation is basically an organised, unified reality where nothing exists on the screen that the creator(s) didn't intend to put there. It is no coincidence that animation and SFX dominate Hollywood's charts. Animation is the ultimate form of two-dimensional expression, with the widest and furthest reach.
So why did Tomino Yoshiyuki chose to create, in such a medium, separate, detached spaces?

What we have here is a strong untimely message. In the present day, information and visuals flood the networks, and anything that you don't know can be searched for and understood instantly, and it is starting to be that the complicated detached realities mankind faced in the 20th century can only be found in media with high amounts of freedom to fabricate, such as anime. It may be that due to a dependence on information technology, humans are starting to let go of the intelligence used to connect, organise, and understand detached realities.
>>
>>14225698

This theme, critical of civilisation, can be seen in many other works by Tomino, but in Reconguista of G this is found not just in the story but also in the execution. At the same time this is also an act that questions again the power of anime as a form of expression to provide criticism in this modern age. If you think of it this way, it's rash to simply treat Reconguista of G as a failure that didn't manage to explain it story.

In the end, the Newtypes Tomino once showed us may have been people with intellects able to understand detached realities without relying on networks.
>>
>>14225696
Feel free to tell him yourself.

https://twitter.com/butch_gen
>>
>>14225696
They kicked her because she was talking back to them after she and her classmates weren't supposed to be at the Capital Guard cadets' briefing.

Kuntala is basically nothing more than an insult, we don't see any actual contempt for people because of it.
>>
>>14220487

AMERIA, FUCK YEAH!

COMIN' AGAIN TO SAVE THE MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY YEAH!

AMERIA, FUCK YEAH!

G-SELF IS THE ONLY WAY YEAH!

SU-CORDISTS YOUR DAY IS THROUGH, 'CAUSE NOW YOU'VE GOT TO ANSWER TO...

...AMERIA, FUCK YEAH!
>>
>>14225712
Watch it again. The guy says they can't just bring girls from the kuntala wherever they want.
It's very clear.
>>14225709
>implying twitter account
lol no. no one smearing that thick of a slice of bullshit is going to listen to any contrary opinion anyway. especially if he's already ignoring on-screen events in order to form one of the pillars of his altar of bullshit.
>>
>>14225712
To be fair nug is inherently designed to take high impact violence of sexual or nonsexual variety
>>
>>14225728

The fact that Bellri wouldn't give her half-kuntala babies is the greatest sin in G-Reco.
>>
>>14225689

It's kawaii though.
>>
>>14225696
>>14225712

This has to be copypasta, I've seen these two exact posts replying to that interview more than 5 times on /m/ now.
>>
>>14217030
>Am I in for bad times?
No
>>
>>14225724

GRIMOIRES! FUCK YEAH!

SISTER BUTTS! FUCK YEAH!

KLIM NICK! FUCK YEAH!

RATTLE PYTHON! FUCK YEAH!
>>
Has there ever been a /m/ show where America was more positively portrayed?
>>
>>14220766
Grimdark? That's war!
>>
>>14225842
JOEY! MORE COFFEE!
>>
>>14225842
G
>>
>>14223007
But Miyazaki manga does do that.
>>
>>14225724
>>14225836
>>
File: bonk.gif (2 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
bonk.gif
2 MB, 500x280
>>14228370
HG never
>>
>>14225671
I feel appalled that despite G-Reco story being easy to grasp, many don't get it because it doesn't match what they expect from the medium.

Also I disagree with Urobuchi on the point that kuntala are never seen being poorly treated, those fucks are mocked and bullied since episode 1.
>>
>>14230605
Why was Mick absolutely adorable yet sexy at the same time?
>>
File: idiots.jpg (103 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
idiots.jpg
103 KB, 1920x1080
>>14232071
Cause she is marriage material
>>
File: 1419616386676.jpg (74 KB, 789x1200) Image search: [Google]
1419616386676.jpg
74 KB, 789x1200
>>14232071
Same as Barara : Tomino magic.
>>
File: noredo consider the following.png (89 KB, 219x248) Image search: [Google]
noredo consider the following.png
89 KB, 219x248
>>14231890
What I noticed (and this extends to other shows) is that people really aren't very good at watching shows. They'll make the weirdest leaps in logic and lock themselves into it. It's why we get so many dumb posts about shows where someone has taken their very obviously wrong train of logic very far without seeing how wrong it is. I think this is partly is because people hate not knowing, they can't accept that they don't have all the pieces and need to wait so just make shit up (not saying it is bad to speculate just that people take head canon to far). This is why a lot of shows with mystery are so obvious, cause people get super angry when they think they are too stupid to get it. Same reason why very blatant exposition is so common.

This is what I think makes Greco very hard for some people. It gives you pieces of information, but not all the ones to explain everything straight away just what you need to get a scene. To add to this some of the information you have to realise is so and not small talk, this is where the type who watches while on tumblr or sped up struggles as they'll ignore small talk. What is weird is that despite people loving to make shit up, they can't figure out that army men pushing a girl over and saying shut up kuntala probably means that kuntala is a derogatory term. They need to know what exactly kuntala means and can't see what the point of the use is there, it didn't mater if they were a race or just a made up swear like smeghead. The point was Noredo got insulted and the capital army that just got introduced seem like bad guys.

The show doesn't talk down to people, but some people need talked down to as they are retarded
>>
>>14232155
The only things I'll consider are those doubles, nug.
>>
File: noredo 3.jpg (451 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
noredo 3.jpg
451 KB, 1200x1500
>>14232163
well then considert these nugs
>>
File: coffin bits.jpg (509 KB, 1000x731) Image search: [Google]
coffin bits.jpg
509 KB, 1000x731
>>14232071
true dat
>>
>>14232155
The exposition galore being so common in anime is a testimony of the fear of losing all viewers with poor attention span.

One recurrent complain that comes way too often is "they didn't explain X".

Evangelion could be an interesting subject, the show is extremely evasive with the "how", yet it managed to reach unparalleled popularity. Then again when asked what the show is about, some will answer "the love story between Shinji and Asuka". People just take whatever they like from a show and disregard the rest.
>>
File: Cc26PE6UkAAghUi.jpg (75 KB, 600x785) Image search: [Google]
Cc26PE6UkAAghUi.jpg
75 KB, 600x785
>>14232216
>Evangelion could be an interesting subject, the show is extremely evasive with the "how", yet it managed to reach unparalleled popularity
I think it is partly from a lot of the weirder stuff being so abstract (cause it means fuck all) so people just go oooh pretty, it just becomes part of the style and not something you need to understand. It was also just something of a zeitgeist, you can get away with a lot more than other shows if you just hit the mood of people right. Their are a lot of pathetic betas like Shinji and not enough alphas like Bellri

You also have to remember that end of eva was actually hated at the time for being so weird and not enough all the other shit

>Then again when asked what the show is about, some will answer "the love story between Shinji and Asuka"
This is also why people watch a lot of shit shows every season. Doesn't mater if it is the most boring trash, if one character is cute people on /a/ or mal will defend it. Tumblr will praise a show just for a gay couple or character never mind if it is good or not. A lot of people don't watch shows for an actually well made product but just one aspect they like no mater how it is done
>>
>>14232171
AMERIA, FUCK YEAH!
Comin' again to save the motherfuckin' day, Yeah
>>
>>14232272
>There are a lot of pathetic betas like Shinji
I was wondering why RahXephon didn't end up the same way until this argument came out.
>>
>>14217030
>I concede to being a grimdark UC-loving oldfag, by the way.

Then stay in your bat cave old man.
>>
>>14232272
>that pic

One day hes going to go full genki on that ass r-right? Right?!
>>
>>14232401
When his blue balls won't take it anymore.
>>
File: eyecatch noredo.webm (493 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
eyecatch noredo.webm
493 KB, 854x480
>>14232401
>>
>>14232412
Yis this pleases me
>>
>>14232155
The way I've watched shows and movies has changed because of G-Reco. I find I've been playing closer attention to dialogue because of it, and instances of forced exposition are sticking out to me far more than they used to. Like, before it would be alright and I would store that information away but now when it's badly done I just feel annoyed.

I pay more attention now to what's being said. I was even able to work out Luthor in BvS DoJ during my first viewing (movie still is bad though).
>>
File: manny eyecatch.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
manny eyecatch.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>14232412
I still think Manny best girl.
>>
>>14225689
This is our future.

Genki Urobutcher.
>>
>>14232166
THE NUGGEST
>>
>>14233409
Would fug the nug
>>
>>14217030
>UC
>grimdark
lolwut

even silly supers like getter robo is darker than gundam
>>
File: 1459222940177.png (1 MB, 1260x1260) Image search: [Google]
1459222940177.png
1 MB, 1260x1260
>>14233333
Digits confirm
>>
>>14233308
>She cut that hair.
I'm still mad.
>>
I actually kinda sympathize with the villains in G-Reco. The status quo, while it did its job, was also terrible for humanity in general. Yeah there was peace, but it was peace under a theocracy which prohibited science and exploration and all that jazz.
>>
>>14233845
Is that why the g-it gang had a jazz theme?
>>
>>14232155
>wrong train of logic very far without seeing how wrong it is
That's another thing I noticed about anime fans (can't speak for live action shows since I don't really pay attention to communities of those shows). They seem to like jumping to play the PLOT HOLE card just because characters don't behave exactly in the way they expect to and that if a character doesn't behave 100% rationally, it's somehow straight away shit writing even when the way a character act is consistent with his/her personality or circumstances.

On that note, one thing I've noticed with regards to G-reco is how people like to use 'they switch sides too easily' or that they act too friendly with people who are supposed to be enemies as an argument of how G-Reco's writing is bad.

Now, I don't claim to be a history buff, but I do happen to have read some records here and there about the various actions of soldiers and it's not rare to actually have cases where grunts show mercy/help out the opposing grunts (when not given direct orders to fight i.e during down time). Reason being, by the end of the day, it's not like they're there dying in some shitty trenches because they believe in the cause. Rather, they're there because they have to be there so to some of them, the grunt on the other side is less an enemy and more just another bloke stuck in the same shitty situation. With that as a frame of reference, I find G-reco's scenario actually make complete sense - because it turns out the typical person actually would rather be on friendly term rather than be some action movie hero. After all, there's a very good reason why soldiers had to be conditioned before they can go and kill. And that despite the conditioning, they still get shit like PTSD.
>>
File: Cc7cS5xUkAA2XJW.jpg (78 KB, 600x638) Image search: [Google]
Cc7cS5xUkAA2XJW.jpg
78 KB, 600x638
>>14234462
>They seem to like jumping to play the PLOT HOLE card just because characters don't behave exactly in the way they expect to and that if a character doesn't behave 100% rationally
I mostly blame internet reviewers for this, the angry shouty kind. For jokes they have to overreact to any little thing that seems weird or off even when it's obvious that will be explained. People take that as legit criticism and try to emulate it. Most people aren't very good at forming critcism into a coherent point either, many times cause they don't understand why they dislike something which is why we see buzzwords like "forced "be used a lot when it shouldn't.

Greco is really full of interesting little bit you wouldn't realise are quite real like cargo cults, Burakumin (and other domestic minorities I suppose) and the reflection on the Abe administration. It annoys me that so few Tomino interviews get translated as I think a lot of points are probably lost by not knowing a lot of specific things in Japanese culture and reference someone only Tomino's age would really get.
>>
>>14225696
He specifically kicked her for speaking up to ask what the capital army is
>>
>>14234635
If Kuntala are so shuned, why is Noredo buddy-buddy with the pope?
>>
>>14225696
The same guy isn't nearly as harsh later on after they've taken the girls to holding. The kick is basically just for show. And Kuntala amounts to a minor slur but it's never shown as a reason for actual discrimination.

The one time there might be actual discrimination against Kuntala is when Mask implied most Kuntala are too lower class to get into Sancto Porto, which is only for the most elite. But that may just be because Kuntala all hold a lower social position in the world. It's implied their space pope comes from the same lineage as Noredo, sharing the same family name, so he might even be a Kuntala.
>>
>>14234641
>Noredo Nug
>Gel Trimedestus NUG

The space pope may very well be a Kuntala
>>
File: CVS2d79U4AA_MDu.jpg (57 KB, 599x588) Image search: [Google]
CVS2d79U4AA_MDu.jpg
57 KB, 599x588
>>14234641
They are in some way related it seems, the pope has the same last name

It's also cause he is super nice
>>
>>14234648
Space Pope needs a more fabulous hat.
>>
File: CadCM1cUUAEQLSs.jpg (65 KB, 600x475) Image search: [Google]
CadCM1cUUAEQLSs.jpg
65 KB, 600x475
>>14234644
Not Yazan also takes a swing at Mask one time after bullying him for being a kuntala, though it seemed to more be a hazing thing and he just used kuntala to get to him.

I think Kuntala was more meant to be like 70s/80s racism where people were racist but many didn't really mean much by it they were just so used to calling people nigger and had biased ingrained in them. Not actual hatred for a race but stupidity
>>
>>14234652
Funny that you bring up Becker

Becker
>Oh I hear you're a Kuntala!

Manny
>Do you think that's so repulsive?

Pic related

Also Becker was testing Luin.
>>
Becker took a swing at Luin to test him and he's praised by Becker for warding off his attacks. He even offers a handshake to Luin.

The way I see it the only reason people don't like Kuntala is because they have a huge persecution complex and a massive chip on their shoulder. Yeah, there are a few times when they get called a Kuntala for no reason but most of the time it's because they're being enormous faggots by having Kuntala chant circles where they cry about being Kuntala. It's embarrassing.
>>
File: G-Self whiff.webm (370 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
G-Self whiff.webm
370 KB, 1024x576
>>14234657
>>14234663

>that smirk
>>
File: yethrg.png (300 KB, 347x530) Image search: [Google]
yethrg.png
300 KB, 347x530
>>14234671
>is this fuckboi gonna check his privilege or do need to do it for him
>>
>>14234652
>he holds down her skirt for her
Aaaahhhh.

>tfw you'll never have a qt /m/an protect your dignity while you game
>>
>>14234635
>it doesn't have anything to do with racism
>look at my screenshot where he calls out her race when kicking her
?????
Seriously, if it had been a black guy, and the guard said
"DON'T ASK! NIGGER!"
and kicked him, would you be trying to tell me that the black guy wasn't being discriminated against?
>>
>>14234771
Kicking the shit outta uppity niggers isn't racism, Anon, it's common sense and a step towards uplifting their race.
>>
>>14234771
Kuntala is literally the name of their ethnic group and is at worst the same as calling someone a slav or a pollack. Even the Kuntala refer to themselves strictly as Kuntala. It doesn't nearly have the same connotation as nigger, which was used to dehumanize blacks to justify keeping them as things.

Try

"Don't ask! Frenchie!"

"Don't ask! Slav!"

"Don't ask! Congolese!"

Does it call them out by their ethnic group? Yes. Is it the same as calling them a nigger? No, not even close. In any case, the reason why she was kicked wasn't for being a Kuntala.
>>
>>14234902
>Frenchie

Mon dieu
>>
>>14234902
>pollack
You realise that is a derogatory terms as well right?

Also the use of any race like that is generally meant to imply a negative, no one says don't ask frenchie in a nice way trying to imply they like french people
>>
>>14221290
>It deserved at least 35 episodes.
This, absolutely. Greco had no real issues other than pacing and being compressed. Tomino directing clearly works better with larger series.
>>
>>14235116
>You realise that is a derogatory terms as well right?
It was originally a neutral term for Polish immigrants that turned derogatory because it was used in anger, but has since lost its fangs.

>>14235116
I know. But it's meaningless. Oh no, someone called me "Asian" with attitude, fuck the whitearchy for oppressing me, the poor ole Asian who's still living in the most powerful, greatest country in the world. I guess I better call for my fellow Asians to rise up against those fucking whiteys because of my Asian pride.

That's my point. Kuntala at its worst is just a minor slur. It's "American" or "Japanese" said with a certain tone of voice. Or Frenchie. It's probably not even as strong as pollack since it's just the name of their ethnic group.

Let me put it this way. Noredo and the girls crashed a Capital Guard orientation and briefing and caused a ruckus. They were met by the Capital Army - a newly formed military whose members are tripping on power and thirsty for blood - and Noredo got kicked for questioning them. But because he said "Kuntala" with an angry tone that's considered discrimination against Kuntala? It sounds like complete nonsense to me.
>>
File: CS-jLg4UwAENTH8.jpg (43 KB, 600x730) Image search: [Google]
CS-jLg4UwAENTH8.jpg
43 KB, 600x730
>>14235211
So it isn't really racist because you just don't really feel they should care, even though characters do? Plus it does go further than you say as a later episode has Klim and mick talking about mask and one says "what a kuntala" meaning they think certain negative things about his race which is racism.

>But because he said "Kuntala" with an angry tone that's considered discrimination against Kuntala? It sounds like complete nonsense to me.
Yeah because he did something racist, it's the same if he hadn't kicked her it wouldn't have been assault. That's how it works, what we do informs what we are and if you go "fuck off you whitey" it means you are being racist when if you just said "fuck off" you weren't. If you use a race in a negative sense that is racism, you'll be hard pressed to find someone who disagrees with that who isn't dressed up like a ghost
>>
>>14235251
Being racist and being discriminatory are two completely different things. One is a matter of belief and one is a matter of conduct and the tendency for the two to correlate isn't proof that everything a racist does is discriminatory. And don't back peddle because you originally said the kick was an example of discrimination >>14225696 when there's no real evidence for it. A frenchie shouting "Damn American!" while punching an American that royally pissed him off isn't an example of discrimination, not that a frenchman would have that sort of courage.

What Mask and the G-IT lab do is discrimination. Trying to kill Bellri for being descended of a certain family and trying to subjugate earthnoids because they're violent savages respectively.

RG is rife with racism from all sides and it's one of the most prevalent elements in the show, but there is very little evidence of actual discrimination from the people being accused of discriminating, i.e. non-Kuntalas, Earthnoids, Bellri, etc.
>>
File: ertyui.jpg (95 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
ertyui.jpg
95 KB, 540x720
>>14235309
>Being racist and being discriminatory are two completely different things
Discrimination based on race is racism, conducting racism means you are being racist and doing so and being okay with it makes you a racist.

> A frenchie shouting "Damn American!" while punching an American that royally pissed him off isn't an example of discrimination
To discriminate when we are talking about racism is to prejudicial distinction based on their race. Attributing why he is pissed off to race is discriminating and is prejudice so therefore racism. Again, if he didn't hit him it wouldn't be assault so if he didn't bring up americans it wouldn't be racism.

>And don't back peddle
I'm a different anon, you also didn't address might point where I use that part as an example

>but there is very little evidence of actual discrimination from the people being accused of discriminating
I gave you an example last post, and how causally the such a kuntala was implies it is a weird thing to say. You don't need people in chains for racism to be a thing
>>
>>14235394
>I'm a different anon, you also didn't address might point where I use that part as an example
Then why are you talking to me? I'm only talking about discrimination and I have no intention of talking to a nut who wants to stuff words into my mouth.

Tell me your race, I intend to become racist against you, and then discriminate against you.
>>
File: jnkml,.png (136 KB, 274x264) Image search: [Google]
jnkml,.png
136 KB, 274x264
>>14235402
>Then why are you talking to me? I'm only talking about discrimination
Cause I am making the same point as that guy, that how the guy acted was racist. If you just kicked someone it is not, if you use their race negatively it is and doing both is worst as shows or make it appear you believe it is okay to hit someone based on race. The distinctions you are trying to make are pretty nonsensical and the idea it is just a minor slur isn't based on much the way we see it used in the show.

>I have no intention of talking to a nut who wants to stuff words into my mouth.
Kinda ironic seeing as that's what you did to me

>Tell me your race, I intend to become racist against you, and then discriminate against you.
kuntala
>>
Why is every gif and webm I see of this show so utterly delightful? It's been rare when I HAVEN'T cracked a smile at at least one of them. Has Tomino gotten so happy that his work just radiates it now?

On a side note, all the dancing I've seen in not only these eyectaches, but the one in King Gainer somehow gives me the idea of Tomino making some kind of animated ballet. Now THAT would be something...
>>
File: 1450436813250.jpg (30 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1450436813250.jpg
30 KB, 640x640
>>14235464
It's a mix of industry veterans with good direction, but even then the show is every impressive. There is only really one episode with noticeable QUALITY all over and outside that just a few bad background characters. And it isn't just the show being a lot of still as a lot of the action has pretty good movement, can only imagine how pretty the movie will be

Also I believe the eyecatches choreographed done by his daughter, though that may have just been a rumour cause I have no idea who this chick is
>>
>>14235497

If that story is true, then that makes those eye catches absurdly adorable.

I may have to catch this some time. Turn A ended up being one of my favorite anime, so I'm already somewhat inclined to the Happy Tomino styling. Though G Reco seems to have much more energy to it, Turn A seemed much more low key and relaxed.
>>
>>14234771

Don't you have a tumblr leghair-braiding and misandrist drum circle conference to attend?
>>
>>14220563
>>14220776
>>14232101
>>14232116
>>14232166

>tfw all G-reco girls are lickable
>sasuga Tomino
>>
File: assualt pack.gif (1 MB, 500x243) Image search: [Google]
assualt pack.gif
1 MB, 500x243
>>14235566
If you do remember that the whole pay attention stuff isn't just a meme. You really do have to concentrate cause there are a lot of little details that explain stuff which sometimes isn't vocal, characters will act irrationally at times (it's pretty easy to figure out why they are doing so), the show rarely repeats itself and things aren't always explained as they are introduced so sometimes you need to understand what is being conveyed in a scene not what a new word means. It's not a complex or particularly deep series being mostly an light hearted adventure but is heavy on detail and there is some meaning behind parts. Tomino generally described it as a message for the youth.

There are also two good charts>>14220477 >>14220487 for the general overview. Also something to note is that while UC gets brought up a lot the series is actually post turn a (there is only one turn a reference) at least according to Tomino. People have theorised it is like real calendars work where how we date the past is different from how they dated it at the time.
>>
>>14235635
Yeah. Little things like a character in the background quietly (but visibly) ducking out just before another character arrives, but while the shot focus is entirely on someone else speaking. Or someone recognizing an in-person motion from 8 episodes ago in how an MS moves. Or just little world touches like a suit blasting out of a hanger so fast it bonks against a doorframe.
>>
File: Moe Pope.jpg (92 KB, 790x815) Image search: [Google]
Moe Pope.jpg
92 KB, 790x815
>>14234648
The moest.
>>
File: 47815413_p0.jpg (273 KB, 700x850) Image search: [Google]
47815413_p0.jpg
273 KB, 700x850
>>14235422
>>14235394
Manny was so fucking cute. Best Gundam GF.
>>
>>14235635
>(there is only one turn a reference)
Actually two Moonlight Butterfly and Turn A sign on a manual.
>>
>>14235721

There's also a Kapool
>>
File: 1450354629804.png (659 KB, 807x651) Image search: [Google]
1450354629804.png
659 KB, 807x651
>>14235775
Noredo isn't that fat
>>
>>14235775
That is from ZZ, not Turn A.
>>
>>14235829

Oh yeah?

Huh.
>>
>>14235834
Yep, check the wait section.
>>
>>14235838
*waist
>>
>>14235838

I wouldn't make sense for it to be Kapool from Turn-A instead of a Capule from ZZ anyway, considering all the other suits are from the ealy to mid UC period Zeon were active in. Sticking one Turn-A/Amerian suit in there for no reason would be silly.
>>
File: 47264042_p0_master1200.jpg (298 KB, 800x501) Image search: [Google]
47264042_p0_master1200.jpg
298 KB, 800x501
>>14235714
Greco has the best cast of girls in the franchise. People can't even complain they don't do anything cause the majority of named girls do pilot MS even if Aida never hits anything, which is made up for by characters like Mick and Barara being as if not more competent than their male counter parts
>>
>>14236036

I'd say Turn-A has a better cast of girls personally. There's not nearly as many pilot women, but I don't really care, Lily Borjarnon, Dianna Soleil and Sochie Heim are all great. That said, Mick is great too.
>>
>>14236036
Mah kuntala
>>
File: five pages.png (1 MB, 795x1920) Image search: [Google]
five pages.png
1 MB, 795x1920
>>14235464
That reminds me, I need to make a webm of this scene eventually.
>>
>>14235635
Unf i love this scene
>>
>>14236520
>he didn't finish reading it for several episodes

Dammit Bellri, he's a fucking slacker
>>
File: manual.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
manual.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>>14236520
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.