[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Macross
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 12
I've only seen Frontier and Delta, and one movie with the zentradi as bad guys so long ago I cannot remember.

I want to stop being a pleb, should I watch Macross in the order of release or chronological order?
>>
release Order
>>
Release order you stupid pleb. How is this not common sense?
>>
File: 1461093699234.jpg (330 KB, 2000x1432) Image search: [Google]
1461093699234.jpg
330 KB, 2000x1432
>>14174313
Release order is best order. First there's SDF Macross. It's pretty well written with good characters, cool action scenes and mecha designs,and less emphasis on idols, but music is still a core theme.It's a classic. Then watch Do You Remember Love, it's a movie adaptation SDF, with georgeous animation. Then there's Plus, set thirty years after SDF. It's about the rivalry of two test pilots, and an idol AI. Also, god-tier animation and dogfights. Then you have Macross 7. It's about a rock band fighting aliens with the power of music. Also, the MC controls his Valkyrie woth his electric guitar, and that's awesome. Then you have Macross Zero, which is a prequel to SDF Macross. And then you have Frontier and Delta.
>>
Either way, good luck with 7
>>
>>14174340
>>14174344
>>14174353
Thank you.

>>14174358
Is 7 bad?

It looks really good.
>>
>>14174353

Besides Zero, the two orders are the same.
>>
>>14174361
Haven't watched it but many say that there's too much stock footage and it's repetitive, but the characters are great and the OST is awesome. It's also crazy, if you enjoyed Delta and Frontier this shouldn't be a problem.
>>
With the exception of one OVA that nobody wants to talk about, release order is chronological order. It's not like Gundam where they keep shoving in OYW side stories decades after the fact.

Also, Macross II is not canon, so ignore that on your watch through.
>>
>>14174361
>Is 7 bad?

It's a love it or hate it show, I guess the amount of enjoyment you get from the show will be the same level as you like their songs, which gets repeated a lot.

They are on the same level as Wing in terms of stock footage usage, this is especially noticeable in the first 10 something episodes which coincidentally is the more boring episodes of the show IMO.

I personally love it and would recommend it to anybody who want to get into SDF, but it's also best for you to finish the original SDF as well.
>>
>>14174361
>Is 7 bad?
The first half is terrible and doesn't move the plot forward. It's like a MotW show if it was the same monster and same battle footage repeated for 20 episodes or so. Like endless eight but even longer and without new animation.
>>
>>14174353
>Then you have Macross Zero, which is a prequel to SDF Macross
no, just watch Zero before Frontier.
>>
>>14174361
7 is the second best entry in the franchise.

Waifufags and Frontierfags hate it because they're cocksuckers.
>>
>>14174361
>Is 7 bad?

No. But be prepared for the fact that it is not SDF Macross. The tone is very different.
>>
>>14174313
>should I watch Macross in the order of release or chronological order?

Aside from Zero they're the same thing.
>>
File: Macross_Guide.jpg (391 KB, 1115x1024) Image search: [Google]
Macross_Guide.jpg
391 KB, 1115x1024
Production order. Enjoy

>>14174361
7 is a very divisive series
>>
>>14174493
Can I save the SDF Macross movie for later? Or do they add some crucial plot that I wouldnt want to miss?
>>
>>14174549
You can. But I watched it after SDF
>>
>>14174549

Do You Remember Love is an in-universe movie retelling of the historical events of SDF
>>
just watch SDF and Plus, the rest are all crap
>>
Oh and something to keep in mind.

The two "movies" for 7 take place in-between specific episodes, so if you can find out where you can watch it then. I THINK The Galaxy Is Calling Me takes place after episode 42.
>>
>>14174599
Do not listen to this person
>>
>>14174549
As far as I know, the canon story is from the TV show, but the official "look" of Macross is from DYRL.

Weird, I know, but you won't really miss anything important from skipping DYRL.

Other than Minmay's nips
>>
>>14174812
>but you won't really miss anything important from skipping DYRL.
Don't tell people to skip DYRL. It's like the cornerstone of the franchise and also looks good

>Other than Minmay's nips
Isn't this enough reason
>>
File: SAA HAJIMARUZE SATURDAY NIGHT.jpg (138 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
SAA HAJIMARUZE SATURDAY NIGHT.jpg
138 KB, 1024x576
>>14174361
>Is 7 bad?
I'm watching it right now, and enjoying it more than I thought I would.
It's very much "dumb fun", and I can see people not liking it, especially if you dwell too much on the details, or are particularly bugged by stock footage and Planet Dance (which I'm not, really).
>>
Started macross 7 and I'm enjoying it at episode 6. I don't know if I should continue because love triangles make me so unhappy, it turned out alright in SDF since best girl kinda won
>>
>>14175556
The love triangle is really low key in seven, unless you count Basara's song as one point of the triangle.
>>
>>14175590
that's good to hear, right now I could make a few guesses on who might be involved but if what you say is true then looks like I dont need to worry about much.
>>
i dropped 7 because it was boring
but then i picked it back up and turns out RIGHT when i dropped it was when nekki stopped looking stupid (and thus the show started getting interesting)
shame the grunts cant stop jobbing though
>>
>>14174361
7 is not "bad" or "good" so much as it is what the fuck is going on.

Music is alright though.
>>
File: Mylene bullying.png (4 MB, 1200x1788) Image search: [Google]
Mylene bullying.png
4 MB, 1200x1788
>>14175590
I would count them, personally
>>
>>14176387

The triangle in 7 is wierd because the girl likes both guys, one guy likes her but the other barely recognizes her as even a bandmate half the time.

But then the only girls Basara seems to have eyes for are a giant and a vampire.
>>
>>14176483
basara V that mountain dude. thats the real story with 7.
>>
'7 was good but needed to be shorter' is something I can agree with. I'd say still watch the whole thing though if you're interested in watching all of Macross, solely because "these episodes are/are not skippable" is a pretty subjective argument, and you'll always wonder if you missed something.
>>
>>14176507

The thing is that even the mostly pointless episodes have character building, so they at least have somewhat of a reason to exist
>>
File: Mylene pls.jpg (154 KB, 1276x960) Image search: [Google]
Mylene pls.jpg
154 KB, 1276x960
>>14176483

>>14176507
Yeah it didn't need to be 50 episodes. Maybe 39.
>>
>>14176507
>>14176571
Now see, I liked 7 a lot and would have enjoyed another fifty episodes.
>>
>>14176553
They could've had say 5 episodes of character building without the 15 episodes of footage filler.
>>
most of 7 episodes were filler specially the first half, second half turns things better
>>
>>14174313
With the exception of Zero (and two, because it's an AU) isn't release order and chronological order the same thing?
>>
>>14176483

Basara had good taste.
>>
>>14175556
Love Triangles are as much of a key element of Macross as planes that transform into robots and pop music.
>>
>>14176483

Like Basara had eyes for either of them. He liked Emilia in a friendly manner because she was a massive music nut too while he only wanted to make Sivil listen to his song and help her out. He never acted romantically or sexually toward either.
>>
>>14176571
Just look at Gamlin's face. You can feel just how sick of this shit he is.
>>
>>14174599
Shut the fuck up, you're the reason why people hate SDF and Plus fans.
>>
>>14174313
Always production order. Ignore the idiots telling you to ignore certain installments. Watch them all and form your own opinions.

>>14174353
>ignoring Macross II

II is set in the DYRL continuum where the concept of music is used against humanity to encourage Zentradi to fight.

>>14174493
>Watch in whenever, doesn't really matter

Yes it does. The early 90s animation is best viewed prior to all the CGI installments.
>>
>>14174389
>one OVA that nobody wants to talk about

That's because you constantly whine about "not canon" when anyone does talk about it while hypocritically accepting all the inconsistencies of the "official" Macross timeline. Nobody talks about it here because nobody wants to deal with your autistic bullcrap. The same applies with Robotech.

At least Gundam fans are open to alternate timelines and universes.
>>
Is there a series where you get to see a full blown war and not just 1 Macross vs something?
>these badboys defolding
>reentry, all while getting ready to BTFO the shit out of ~ UNDERSTANDING ~
>>
>>14176387

Why is Kuriboh sitting on her shoulder?
>>
>>14178911
I swear my anus tightened a bit when this shot came. I'm sure if you've seen all Macross stuff you creamed even just a little knowing all the references.
Who was that pilot that got some lines during this scene?
>>
>>14178929
>Who was that pilot that got some lines during this scene?
Are you serious?
>>
>>14178934
Very, I'm a filthy secondary.
>>
>>14178937
More like tertiary, he's the main character of another fucking Macross.
>>
>>14178943
Which part of
>I've only seen Frontier and Delta
did you miss? Robotech was my first mech show, but I was a kid and it was shown on the telly, so don't count on that.
I'm guessing 7?
>>
>>14178960
>Which part of
>>I've only seen Frontier and Delta
>did you miss?
All of it, since you did not at any point say that. He's from Plus, what the fuck are you waiting for, watch all the rest.
>>
>>14178968
Already downloading m80.
All this Macross makes me sad because there's not a single hobby shop here that stores Macross kits.
>>
>>14178968
>All of it, since you did not at any point say that

I'm pretty sure he stated that right in the OP.
>>
>>14178999
And how the fuck am I to know he was the OP? He's not wearing a sign or anything.
>>
>>14178911
Delta might do this.
>>
>>14179068
Now that you mention it, I'm really looking forward to that.
>>
>>14177446
>while he only wanted to make Sivil listen to his song and help her out
>implying that isn't Basara's version of sex
>implying he isn't lyrically fucking his audience every concert
>>
For some reason I felt real sad when I found out hikaru's VA is dead
>>
>>14179145
Now you can feel mad over Vic Mignogna telling Mari Iijima that Arihiro Hase is "burning in hell" for commiting suicide.
>>
File: gorgbodolzaa-mobilefortress.gif (113 KB, 1000x492) Image search: [Google]
gorgbodolzaa-mobilefortress.gif
113 KB, 1000x492
>>14179068
>>14179072

The thought of this makes me rock hard already.

Imagine a refitted NUNS Bodolle Zer fleet defolding around Windemere, ready to glass the planet.
>>
>>14179864
did he really say that? That's tasteless
>>
>>14175590
>>
>>14181121
You forgot Sivil and Gigl as well as Rex, Emilia, and Flower Girl, 7 had a huge loive polugon going on.
>>
Is there any pastebin or something listing the most recommended releases/subs?
>>
>>14181528
Not that I know of. Usually you can default to /m/en's encodes (EG, Bunnyhat, ect) or Bakabt's choices and then cruise the comments for pros and cons.
>>
>>14180075
I really want someone who want to fuck on the core worlds of NUNS directly, I want to see their answer to that.
>>
>>14181528
BunnyHat for Original
Pineapple_Salad for M7
No one has done the BDs for Plus or II AFAIK
THORA for Zero
Probably Coalgirls for Frontier
>>
>>14181823
fuck, i never noticed the Monsters or the green and red Macross-classes in the background
>>
7 is both amazing and terrible at the same time, it's a show in a quantum state every time you observe it your opinion changes about it.

More specifically it's a massive departure from the preceding installments of Macross. It it's the longest Macross series to date and also the most wasteful with it's runtime. The show is really straight up bad until episode 18 or so, so the whole first third of the show isn't good. In this part of it the show feels like it's stuck, we get the same plot again and again, often with the same footage.

Then starting slowly things start to happen. We learn about the villain faction, settle into the characters and the conflict. When Sound Force is introduced the show becomes an absolute blast, just pure fun.

The main character Basara is an enigmatic asshole, but the thing is that the show seems to be aware of this and everyone else in the show either hates him or just rolls with him.

I'd say the most important point about this show is the music. While I think it has the best soundtrack in all of Macross it uses it the worst. Half the show you are gonna hear the same 3 songs over and over again, especially Planet Dance. Compare that to Macross Delta where in 4 episodes we haven't really heard songs repeated, at least not in the same performance as with 7. With 7 it was the first time that the show had vocalists that weren't also doing the speaking for the characters, so it might have something to do with that.
>>
>>14178081
honestly with delta going the way it is nows the best time to watch macross 2 bacause it shares a sinaler plot devise of using songs to make people fight
>>
Is Macross II not on bakabt? I can't find it there at least, oddly enough.
>>
>>14178927
that's guvava
>>
The Super Dimensional Fortress descriptor is only in the title of Original Macross and Macross II. All other productions had less emphasis on a giant Macross class ship.
>>
>>14181867
Thank you, I'll follow what you said except for coalgirls, probably.
>>
>>14181867
You can find rips for Plus, i forget which ones though. For II it's a bit hard, you can find the raws but you also gotta find matching subs.

Also G_P for DYRL.
>>
>>14181867

Pretty sure there's DHD rips for II
>>
>>14182169
>Is Macross II not on bakabt?
I literally just googled it
>>
>>14182865
Just the shitty .ogm files that condense the episodes into only two files. No BD rips
>>
>>14181823
Man, humanity in Macross is pretty damn terrifying. Conquring the galaxy with pop music and giant robots.

It's also interesting to see an actual war with moral ambiguity and shit in macross, rather than just fighting random monsters.
>>
>>14183273
Please, the preferred term is colonizing.
>>
>>14174819
"Visual" cornerstone, yes. But there's no new story or anything. SDF Macross is a more complete story, even if it doesn't look as good.

I mean, don't skip it, but you aren't going to miss any plot details either way.
>>
>>14174549
You can watch it whenever, but as other's have said, it's in "in universe movie." It gets referenced a few times over the course of the franchise.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.