[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LoGH ships thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 15
I have questions, dammit! I'm reading the first book, and rewatching parts of the series cuz I'm just in a Legend of the Galactic Heroes mood lately.

But riddle me this. Where is the bridge on both Imperial and Alliance ships? I have a general idea maybe, but I can't find proper schematics for any of the ships, and anything I do find is very low quality and in Japanese. These amazingly designed ships deserve more love, even if they all look like giant space penises with multiple urethras.
>>
File: 1409696356828.jpg (120 KB, 1005x566) Image search: [Google]
1409696356828.jpg
120 KB, 1005x566
Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't actually matter where the bridge is located on the ship as long as your bridge is stocked with copious amounts of coffee and fine liqeur and your fleet is arranged in a semicircle formation.
>>
>>14148878
both the alliance and empire make use of video screens rather than actual windows (though the empire has seamless full domes compared with the alliance which appears to have mostly just a giant multipanneled front monitor) so i have to assume its somewhere internal to the ship. though the ships are pretty sizable (around 600-700m for the average battleship), the bridge areas seem to take up a lot of room, and since the engines are in the rear and the business end shoots some big powerful lasers, midship seems pretty reasonable.

we do see elevators on the ships, which makes sense since they are several stories tall and there's artificial gravity on board. in the first episode we see yang go from a meeting room to a sort of waiting room/kitchen area just down the hall, and then in an elevator to the bridge (this is from memory so maybe i'm wrong on the ordering). plausibly this could mean that the bridge area is near the bottom or top of the ship, or that it is in the very center and the solider's quarters/ready rooms/etc are above and below it. given that the bridge itself is often pretty expansive and multi-story, and the middle of the ship is the most protected area theoretically, i'd say the bridge is probably dead center in the ship for alliance ships and probably most imperial ships as well.

as for the weirder imperial ships (the brunhild, percival, and barbarossa come to mind) and all the non-battleships, I dunno. presumably middle-ish but i have no reason to think that. the carrier craft the alliance use seem to have most of the rear dedicated to the engines and hangars, and the front area has what looks like a bridge. the imperial destroyers seem to have a design where there's a tube of engines and stuff surrounded by missile pods, and the front is where the people are.

thus ends my wild speculation
>>
File: scan0119.jpg (1 MB, 1259x1733) Image search: [Google]
scan0119.jpg
1 MB, 1259x1733
>>14148878
I have some scans of a Japanese artbook, but I'm not sure if the bridges are labeled.
>>
Riddle me this:

What if LoGH was more like Eve online?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjTrPutt4k
>>
>>14149315

Then instead of spending episode on political maneuvering, we'd spend episodes on factions tediously mining resources and people yelling at each other for not bringing the right ships along.
>>
File: Battleship---(page1).png (1 MB, 1295x1996) Image search: [Google]
Battleship---(page1).png
1 MB, 1295x1996
Shitty scan, but you can see where the bridge is located in a Free Planets battleship (near to the three dorsal cylinders.)
>>
File: 1359965076810.gif (2 MB, 308x214) Image search: [Google]
1359965076810.gif
2 MB, 308x214
>>14149319
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmS9vcVNr5A
>>
File: aliens-lol.jpg (20 KB, 385x278) Image search: [Google]
aliens-lol.jpg
20 KB, 385x278
>>14149442
"I wanna fucking tickle your nose hairs with my fucking shoe"

that freakout at the end was golden too
>>
EVE freakouts justify the existence of EVE.

I just started LOGH recently and Ioooove the ship designs.
>>
I just read the first novel. Is there anywhere to stream the episodes legally?
>>
>>14149688
>streaming
>watching anime legally

Lol, I think you can watch them on YouTube though
>>
File: Hyperioninternal.jpg (52 KB, 741x555) Image search: [Google]
Hyperioninternal.jpg
52 KB, 741x555
>>14148878
It's hard to make out, but as far as the general design of alliance ships goes, the front third is usually Neutron Beam cannons, their components, huge capacitors and the like(some ships specifically have a second reactor in front just for their guns) Then amidship they have crew sections, hangers for spartinians, heavy water layers towards the rear. Then in the back they have their primary fuel and reactor blocks as well as their radiators and engine blocks. So i would imagine the bridge went somewhere in the midship, heavily armoured.
>>
>>14149766
Eh. Through friends and family I have most streaming services covered, so I usually use them when I can because it's easy.

This YouTube channel is pretty easy too, though. Thanks.
>>
File: index.jpg (12 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12 KB, 259x194
>>14149824
LoGH was never licensed anywhere in the west, so no one even has the rights to distribute it legally. The only people who've watched it 'legally' either imported the laserdiscs or went to Japan and bought them himself, like moot did.

Speaking of which, does anyone have the full-size of this picture?
>>
>>14149870
Actually, Sentai licensed the anime last year and Haikasoru is releasing the novels.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-02/sentai-filmworks-adds-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-higurashi-anime/.89987
>>
>>14150208
Sentai may have licensed the show, but I don't think they've actually released anything yet.
>>
Since the bridge "windows" are just screens for both ships, I wonder if they are able to broadcast in 3-D at all, both to create the illusion of looking out into space, but also for tactical sense? Being able to tell distance must be pretty important. Even if it can just be communicated by all the sensor packages on both ships telling you "the nearest ship is 40kilometers to the right of this ship", there's nothing like looking to the right seeing that for yourself. Is Nintendo indirectly responsible for the deaths of millions of space soldiers, then?
>>
>>14152854
It doesn't make much difference to human eyes if something is 30 or 40 km away. Our eyes and brains are better at estimating distances of few meters. And in space the distances vary from tens, hundreds, thousands and millions of kilometers as the "close" range. So for a tactician who propably has studied tactics and maneuvers on a computer screen, it's more important to know the numbers like distances, velocities, weapon ranges, ect. and make calculations and decisions based on those.
>>
>>14152854
There's usually too many ships for seeing them by sight to have any point. Even small patrol fleets consist of a couple dozen to hundreds of ships.
>>
File: Shiva_flagship.jpg (27 KB, 779x600) Image search: [Google]
Shiva_flagship.jpg
27 KB, 779x600
>>14149410
>>14149813
>bridge is located inside the ship surrounded by the thickest armor.
>not on top of the ship or out in the open.
God I love this in ship designs and I wish more ships were built like this in Shows, Movies, etc. On a side note Does anyone know where to find models of LoGH ships?
>>
They never gave the ships actual class names, did they? Just named individual vessels?
>>
File: logh.png (344 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
logh.png
344 KB, 1000x750
I'll take a guess.
>>
>>14155096
I would say this
>>
>>14154554
hobby link japan?
>>
>>14155660
Doubt the Alliance one, too big of a profile and not enough windows. I included that section in my Imperial guess because I can't make out much detail, honestly, but if I were designing it I'd put a bridge there.
>>
>>14149870
The first novel showed up in my local comic shop a few weeks ago.
>>
File: Lazarus-class---(line2).png (162 KB, 1068x722) Image search: [Google]
Lazarus-class---(line2).png
162 KB, 1068x722
>>14154704
There are some.

For the FPA we have the Ajax-class, also their carriers are the Lazarus-class apparently.

In the Empire the Forseti-class has the Forseti, Salamander and Skirnir.
The Wilhelmina, Berlin and Ostmark and part of the Wilhelmina-class.
Jotunheim-class is made up of the Jotunheim and Garga Falmul (which is a modified version.)

I'd presume the Beowulf and Tristan are the same class since they are very similar and the Beowulf is the more conventional so it may well be the lead ship and class-namer.
>>
>>14148878
I honestly believe that the bridge ins somewhere in the middle of the ship because (using the anime as a reference) there was a scene where a ship took damage and the some sections of the exterior view form the ship were just black implying they were screens rather than windows that relied on exterior cameras

also this make the most sense form a design standpoint as the only reason you need windows and an extruding or elevated observation deck is because of the horizon which isn't a thing in space
>>
OP here.

I'm about 3/4 through the first officially released book, and haven't found much... For those who have read the fan translated ones, do they ever go into any kind of detail about the structure of the ships besides crew compliment?
>>
>>14157379
Damn i love me some fpa ships
>>
>>14160257
I like the Imperial designs more, they're more majestic, but there is a utilitarian purposeful look to the FPA ships that makes them look so great in a different way.

FUCK I love this show.
>>
File: where it be.png (311 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
where it be.png
311 KB, 800x550
>>14155660
Inside
>>
Near as I can tell in the first officially released volume, Iserlohn Fortress is not described as having a liquid metal surface. That's how it is depicted in the series, right? Shit, I wish they would release more stuff in english. Imagine if we got translated technical manuals and ship schematics and stuff? It's okay, I didn't need to pay rent anyway.
>>
File: 245g5l.gif (2 MB, 450x341) Image search: [Google]
245g5l.gif
2 MB, 450x341
>>14164622

The liquid metal was added by the OVa production staff. IIRC, Yoshiki bowed out after feeling that they had it together, but was there to advise early.

Bloody good addition, I must say.
>>
>>14164685
Yeah, definitely. Even though the show has a bit of a retrograde look at how ships would interact with each other, it still manages to have enough futuristic touches to really make it seem like things have progressed, even if the societies seemingly haven't. Asimov said "Nothing dates itself faster than the future" and LoGH does a fairly good job avoiding that problem. It doesn't really try to make it look like The Future. I'm 1000% certain that the year 3500 will look nothing like what the show presents, but that's fine, it's not trying to.
>>
File: poplankonev.jpg (106 KB, 329x750) Image search: [Google]
poplankonev.jpg
106 KB, 329x750
>>14164718

History repeats itself, the main theme of the show. If you watch some of the history eps, the earth-sirian war has them using Modern day MBTs, Jets and Attack Helos. The whole FUUUUTUUURE wasn't the point, it was to prove Humanity constantly echoed itself; the story could have easily fit in the napoleonic era or any other.

Also, they were suprisingly reticient of technology despite the fact Humanity nuked itself twice.
>>
>>14164814
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. I do wonder how the show is going to age if one were to watch it say... 100 years from now. You know, after there is human life on Mars, the Moon is colonized, space stations teeming with millions, etc. It's kind of like the old adventure stories that took place on Mars or the Moon. Before anybody knew any better, it was easier to suspend your disbelief. But once we actually start to develop the technology that the universe shown in LoGH depends on (and surpass it), I wonder if it will just be incredibly hokey and silly, despite the great things it has to say. It's like going back and reading classic Golden Age SF serialized novels.
>>
>>14164840

Hopefully humans kept their sense of disbelief, love of alcohol and appreciation for Reinhard's magnificent hair.
>>
>>14164856
Nothing is as futuristic as long golden locks flowing over a cape and epaulettes.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.