[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4b -haPATmI So mecha reall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: 1243041869151.jpg (271 KB, 390x692) Image search: [Google]
1243041869151.jpg
271 KB, 390x692
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4b-haPATmI

So mecha really so superior to conventional armored vehicles?
>>
>..what is this? The tanks should have stomped this. They were able to engage the tank sized mechs from an advantageous distance for tanks, and yet the mechs magically dodge tank rounds from all ranges. And when they started charging those tanks actual tanks would retreat while shooting backwards, forcing the mechs to chase them, thus reducing their mobility and dodging, not move into melee range against vehicles with superior mobility. The part that bothered me the most was when they had that one mech sidestep the tank fire. In reality it is basically impossible to call when an enemy will shoot, and a sidestep like that would take half a second of turret rotation to realign and accurately shoot.

>Edit: What makes this worse is that they are on sand, which is actually very advantageous for tanks vs mechs who would have very poor traction. What makes the fact they ignore this even more surprising is the sand advantage is actually very well known in mech anime, often shown through the mech using protagonist having to struggle with sand on a desert planet or during deployment to the middle east, where less wealthy militaries (tanks) are often portrayed as being able to hold their own by using environmental advantages.

Siding the YT comments on this one, whats the story behind this mechs having such agility while also having the raw power to stop a tank by force
>>
>>14131749
>whats the story behind this mechs having such agility while also having the raw power to stop a tank by force
It's called being a mech in a mech anime
>>
>>14131749
That's just how it is.
>w-why are the mechs so agile in this fictional setting?!!!
>it's unfair!!!
>in a real setting setting the tanks would win! (read: in a setting where everything goes the exact way i want it to go in my head and where I have already decided that the tanks will win beforehand so I'll make it play out in a way where only the tanks can win. yes this is realistic.)
>>
>>14131749
>>14131753
Aren't the Gasaraki mechs also literally magic in-universe? The mechanical muscle-analogs that move them are based off of some kind of demon if I recall correctly.
>>
>>14131771
No need to go from one spectrum to the other and get all defensive about it.

The YT comment i quoted is being fairly reasonable, like the tactics Tanks use such as retreating while shooting. He didn't post some random scenario to give the tanks the advantage but pointed out how the actual scenario presented in the vid would heavily favor the tanks if they actually used conventional tank tactics instead of canon fodder standing still while they get slaughter.
>>
>>14131695
Is this a custom? I am a Gasarakifag but I don't remember any of the Fakes TAs looking like this--specifically the head.
>>
>>14131788
Yes, they're developed from ancient samurai demons.
>>
File: ishtarschemedj3.jpg (344 KB, 1200x897) Image search: [Google]
ishtarschemedj3.jpg
344 KB, 1200x897
>>14131813

True, photos found on the Internet a long time ago ...

By the way, if I choose, "Ishtar Mk II" definitely better than "Riden"
>>
>>14131749
The mechs in Gasaraki are more like upscaled foot infantry with AFV-grade weaponry. The enemy faction's Ishtar model in particular is kinda adept at zooming around like a vehicle more so than running around like a giant human (plus it got the head start on desert combat design tweaks), contrasting with the Raiden used by the protag side.

That one scene is essentially what happens when you give sandniggers cutting edge tech and have them jump an armor convoy just hanging around with their pants down. By the time anyone knew what was going on those Ishtars have shredded up the chain of command.

Simply put, it makes sense in context.
>>
File: Ironfoot and Native Dancer.jpg (278 KB, 600x781) Image search: [Google]
Ironfoot and Native Dancer.jpg
278 KB, 600x781
>>14131695
This depends entirely on the setting and how you choose to do things.

One setting and anime =/= all settings and anime or other material involving giant robots.

>>14131749
>whats the story behind this
>he didn't actually watch the anime people were complaining about

Full-on retard. Not surprising considering the lovely habit people seem to have of trying to shove as much "realism" as possible into everything involving giant god damn robots, or else dismissing them entirely. If you need to have it play out as you like whilst at the same time not actually watching the material, then don't try to talk about it.
>>
>how can these big robots with muscles and green energy boosters possibly evade the main weapon of a vehicle designed to destroy heavy targets
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp9BmKn5NKg

I like this demonstration a little better.
>>
File: 1459961186404.jpg (59 KB, 476x594) Image search: [Google]
1459961186404.jpg
59 KB, 476x594
>>14131695
>>14134532
>dat comment section

Seriously how much of a sorry ass you have to be where you show off your /k/ommando autism on a bunch of clips taken from some cartoon with fictional stories and most of time haven't even seen the anime in it's whole to know the context (or what happens next).

Next what?
Lengthy articles on structure of vocal cords of animals just to prove that animals don't talk like human as they do in Aesop's fable?
>>
>>14135296
Mocking how idiotic mecha are is a tradition as old as the board.
It's like you laughing at /m/ taking the piss over ttgl. It's just the way it is.
>>
>>14135296

I think this kind of criticism becomes more likely when you have shows which purport to show their mecha in a 'super real' context. Like, I don't think shows like Mazinger or Gorg get this kind of criticism. Mobile Suit Gundam sometimes gets it, but that's divorced enough from reality that it gets cut some slack.

When you make your show look 'super real you guys, look our pilots talk in army lingo and they're fighting real tanks!' then you're more likely to get criticism.

To use a recent game as an example, tons of people complained about how bullet spongy enemies are in Tom Clancy's The Division, how they take magazines of ammo to drop. Now if this were any other game, like Borderlands, then I doubt that it would be a problem. But since it's a Tom Clancy game, and trying to give the realistic feel, then the departures from reality become more glaring.
>>
>>14135310
But /m/ does get laughed at for getting worked up on TTGL for the reason that it is most well known super robot show among normies .

>>14135426
UC timeline has it's made up "Minoskvy Partiles" that render any electronic guidance system useless. Otherwise no one brings it up in any "can mecha be real","can mecha be used in military like in my animu" and "mecha vs tank" threads because it get flooded with comments like how it is a giant walking target IRL.

And that's why I said that the lack of context is the key here. If you have actually saw the show, this is nothing compared to MC taking a bungie jump from his transport plane in his mech to take out two fighter jets chasing them down in the mid-air!We are talking about a show where noah dance is used to do some inter dimensional fuckery to summon some golden aliens from outer space.
Point of mechs is actually to show a star crossed love story between the two pilots who also happened to be the operator of ancient demon armor in their previous life and those demon armor is used as a basis to create these modern TA whose gimmick is having artifical strong muscle fibres as actuators.
Only thing that actually goes real military is how pilot's health is monitored since it is still a very experimental unit than anything mainstream within the story.And they show the reason why only MC and his crush are the only one who can pilot it with ease while other do get under and at worst need to be taken out for going berserk .
With out much context ,no need to jump to the conclusion and state the obvious things when all the creator tried was to highlight something else and rest is part of gimmick in the story when viewed in holistic manner.
Now here is the funny thing - Creator himself says that mecha are added gimmicks in his story in interviews.

You are bringing Tom Clancy game as example to an anime which is more akin to Bungie's Marathon trilogy .
But of you really need something like that, then watch Flag.
>>
>>14131695

Man, Gasaraki was so good.

Holy shit, I miss this show.
>>
File: Gasaraki jets ain't shit.webm (3 MB, 600x410) Image search: [Google]
Gasaraki jets ain't shit.webm
3 MB, 600x410
>>14136565

>it's a we got ambushed by jets in a C-130 on the way home and have no weapon just an AT episode
>>
>>14131826
Agree. The Fakes are better than the Raidens.
>>
Humanoid combat robots will never be viable in reality. Learn to separate fiction from reality. Fuck yourselves.
>>
>>14135426
>Like, I don't think shows like Mazinger or Gorg get this kind of criticism
You'd think wrong.
>>
>>14131695
Mechs don't exist their properties are completely fictional.
>>
>>14131826
I love the design of this mech and at the end of the show when the one equipped with a laser show up

holy shit that final battle was amazing!!!
>>
It makes me sad that so many people will shit talk the show like an autist with no conception of the context of the show or what the mechs actually are and will never watch it.
>>
>>14141314
This is the way things have been and always will be for years.

However, this is also the Youtube comments section we're talking about here. That's bottom-of-the-barrel tier irrelevance, even if it is indicative of some portion of public opinion. Pay it no mind and enjoy the show.
>>
File: thecockpit_pacific.webm (2 MB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
thecockpit_pacific.webm
2 MB, 456x320
>>14136571
>its a "modern jets use ww2 tactics" episode
>>
>>14141330
>Pay it no mind and enjoy the show.

This.Certain replies in the very thread are the proof that there will be always someone who will have strong urge to say something no matter what.
>>
>>14141334
I thought they were making warning passes to scare the crew and try to force them to land so they could capture the plane and cargo
>>
>>14131695
>Stingrays and Bradleys being good at anything
one's an american export-only light tank that only has one buyer, the other is a clusterfuck of roles trying to be everything
>>
We judge weapons by their capability and damage they can do to an enemy force. MS outstrip anything planes and tanks can do with the exception of detonating nukes, which they can self destruct and do as well. Tomino changed their names to man-machines in Gaia gear.
>>
>>14138621

Well, those kinds of people are dumb.

>>14136389

True, and I've got nothing against the show itself. I'd agree it's the lack of context, also combined with the appearance of trying to be realistic: all the tank crews operating like you think they would, codewords and military lingo, using real world vehicles, etc.

If they made the tanks act as effectively as they do in real life, then upped the capabilities of the mecha (because demon magic idunno) then it would be much better.
>>
>>14138621

Well, those kinds of people are dumb.

>>14136389

True, and I've got nothing against the show itself. I'd agree it's the lack of context, also combined with the appearance of trying to appear realistic.

If they made the tanks act as effectively as they do in real life, then upped the capabilities of the mecha (because demon magic idunno) then it would be much better than what they did (make the tanks act much dumber than they would in real life).
It's like how World War Z only made the zombies a threat by making militaries functionally retarded.
>>
Oops, sorry for the double post, I didn't realise it had submitted.
>>
>>14141767
>>14141981

>If they made the tanks act as effectively as they do in real life, then upped the capabilities of the mecha (because demon magic idunno) then it would be much better.It's like how World War Z only made the zombies a threat by making militaries functionally retarded.

This is again you getting worked up on one short clip.Go watch the anime in it's entirety, then we will talk about after having common ground.
There is a reason the trope is known as Worf Effect exist for story and plot purposes.
>>
>>14131788
>>14131819
They are developed from ancient samurai demons who are space aliens from different dimension.

Seriously it's okay for them to dodge cannon fire.
>>
>>14131788
>in universe magic
>that one part where the MC fuses his mech's muscle tissue into the enemy mech to rip it apart
fucking great show
>>
>>14141981
It's called Artistic License.
Many use it for focusing on the story telling.
>>
>>14142001

I know about the trope, it doesn't mean I'm always a fan. I did try watching Gasaraki a while back but after the first episode I wasn't really interested so I never followed up. Maybe because it's too 'real'.

You're right though, I'm definitely overthinking it.
>>
>>14136571
Wait, why did fighters with missiles try to engage a cargo plane within 400 meters? (I play too much war thunder)
>>
>>14131826
Where is this image from?
I haven't seen much Gasaraki lineart or mecha info outside of that Izubuchi artbook.
>>
>>14143325
I think at that point in the show you could write it off as "SYMBOL ("enemy" private company faction opposite the "protagonist" Gowa Industries faction) wants to get your junk one way or another."

Or something.

Gasaraki is an interesting show and due to some very interesting background details the protag gets to do some very interesting stuff of the "that's bullshit but I believe it" variety.

It's super interesting.
>>
>>14141639
I love this meme.
>>
Mechs win because they're piloted by autistic quasi-magical savants and the tanks are piloted by retards with a death wish that are too busy saying "H-he's fast!" To actually aim their shots.
>>
>>14131695
The problem isn't that the mechs were fast. It's that the tanks were much slower than they are in real life.
>>
>>14143355

Presumably the DVD, based on the English used.
>>
>>14144145

Yeah. Make the tanks act like real tanks, but then make the mecha act like NEXTs.

>zipping around at Mach 3
>forcefields
>super G turns
>>
File: 1238987979407.jpg (33 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1238987979407.jpg
33 KB, 704x480
I doubt that mek overcome the tank in the open field, but in urban environments and competent tactical advantage will be on the side of the combat walker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pi_qp-Wz2U
>>
>>14145759
Eh,depends on the terrain and pilot/crew veterancy to, both have their own advantage and weakness.

Tanks, when can move fast in straight line, stable weapon platform, cheaper and shorter than mechs, are bad in tight turn, needs multiple crew that is more expensive than the tanks it self, cannot go over uneven ground and obstacles fast even with all /k/ claims and vulnerable to be swarmed. Hell why do you think there is so many abrams wrecks in iraqis town.

Mech are also have more exposed weakpoint, bit slower(if we ignore Dom or Scopedog design principle), taller and expensive, it can walts over obstacles, climb over uneven ground, can change their height, single manned, do tight turn by changing their center of gravity, and keep up with infantry better.
>>
>>14131695
>So mecha really so superior to conventional armored vehicles?

In their own fictional universes. Yes.

Seriously though, as unrealistic as scenes like this are, I still don't understand why they piss off /k/-types so much. There is some tactical incompetence for entertainment purposes, but it's not like tanks are some invincible super weapons. If a guy with an IQ of 70, armed with an anti-tank rocket launcher can take out a tank, why is it such a travesty for a fictional vehicle that is said to be super advanced in it's universe, armed to the hilt with fictional super weapons to take out a tank?

How do these people even sit through shows like godzilla without getting upset?
>>
>>14145817
>I still don't understand why they piss off /k/-types so much.
It's because 99% of the time, it isn't enough that the robots are overpowered, but that the tanks are nerfed to hell. Tanks acting like retards and perform like crap is what piss off /k/.

I remember there was documentation of Mechwarrior manual that directly said that they artificially made all the tanks in that universe way inferior to reality, because if they had real life capabilities then they would beat mechs in the mechwarrior universe.
>>
>>14131749
>whats the story behind this mechs having such agility while also having the raw power to stop a tank by force

gasaraki also has magic in it
>>
>>14145859
The magic isn't in play in -that scene-.

It's mostly just a moderately sized robot equivalent of Haji with an RPG. Shit blows up everywhere forever because the NATO coalition isn't prepared for asymmetric warfare involving giant infantry.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.