[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck. Another anon just inadvertently made me realize that Presence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: I know you also cry every time.png (254 KB, 450x543) Image search: [Google]
I know you also cry every time.png
254 KB, 450x543
Fuck.

Another anon just inadvertently made me realize that Presence is the Japanese equivalent of The Snowman.
>>
Yeah, they're both stories where the protagonist creates a common imitation of humanity (a snowman or a doll) which then comes to life and later dies but they're still pretty different.

In the Snowman, the boy and the Snowman have fun and the Snowman ends up dying of "natural" causes, melting in the sun the next day.

In Presence iirc the man attacks and tries to kill the doll out of shame, fear or revulsion. Much darker story. I'd compare it to Mary Shelly's Frankenstein if there was a romantic undercurrent between Frankenstein and the monster which pursues him. Or a twisted Pygmalion/Galatea? There's probably a better comparison, man creating life in his own image is a very old and popular story archetype.

The Snowman is an expanded version of Frosty the Snowman.
>>
>>13485274
salsa?
>>
>>13487620
>There's probably a better comparison, man creating life in his own image is a very old and popular story archetype.
Any religion.
>>
>>13485274
Why is Mecha dressed as a goth loli while Looking at its Own Shadow?
>>
File: robot carnival.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
robot carnival.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>13487672
>>13487731
People who haven't watched Robot Carnival shouldn't be on this board.
>>
>>13487731
I understood that reference.
>>
>>13487620
There's more to an animated short than a story, and the similarities extend beyond that.

So it's closer to The Snowman than to those stories you're mentioning. It really isn't about speculations on artificial life.
>>
>>13487620
Yeah but I also mean in terms of aesthetics, format, themes and emotional impact.
Also that scene
>>13488361
>>
The only anime that made me cry
>>
>>13488454
only a robot wouldn't cry

or maybe a huge fag
>>
>>13488460
Crying Ac/DC.jpg
>>
File: chibi doll.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
chibi doll.gif
2 MB, 400x225
The doll is the loveliest anime girl I've ever seen.

And like all 80s anime girls she has an adorable chibi version.
>>
>>13488454
Have you not watched Dennou Coil?
>>
>>13490948
the format is different, the atmosphere and the themes are different, you can't expect it to have the same impact as Presence on everyone.
>>
>>13490961
I'm just saying, Dennou Coil made me cry like a bitch.
>>
>>13490966
Yes but did it teach you genuine romantic love?
>>
>>13491002
No, just genuine unconditional love between a dog and it's owner.
>>
>>13491007
>owner
it didn't teach you shit
>>
>>13488361
thanks anon, carnaval de los robots is a very different thing in latin america
>>
>>13488454
You haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies have you?
>>
>>13491409
Grave of the Fireflies is a shamelessly manipulative tear-jerker. It doesn't feel genuine, so it's not as effective.
>>
>>13491025
So what you're saying is...

We've got to fuck the dog.
>>
>>13491731
What the fuck...
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.