[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do grunts shit on their pants when they see a Gundam?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: Rx-0-destroy.jpg (2 MB, 1246x1655) Image search: [Google]
Rx-0-destroy.jpg
2 MB, 1246x1655
Don't they usually give Gundams to novice pilots without any prior combat experience?
>>
>>13997440
Gundams have a track record
If I was a grunt I'd get the fuck out
>>
Have you SEEN the killcounts that most Gundam pilots in UC rack up by the end of their series? Even Jewdough slaughtered dozens of actual soldiers.
>>
>>13997440

At least as far as UC goes, Amuro and the RX-78 became so publically infamous that the very image of a Gundam type became something like a social meme (not the dumb kind) that was apparently strong enough to last for generations.

I think that gives a great in-universe explanation for why they'd make future machines in the Gundams' image (and often with the similar festive white/blue "roll out" colors the RX-78 just happened to have before being shoe-horned into near non-stop combat.). It's become that strong a symbolic image of power.
>>
>>13997440
Grunts in Gundam are known for their incontinence issues. It's a Zeon genetic thing.
>>
Gundams are given to magical teenagers.

Shiro, Kou, and Chris, being the only real exceptions. They got their Gundam wrecked and basically lost anyways.
>>
>>13997491
>Chris
>kou
>Shiro
>all not a newtype
>all wrecked their gundam

i have a bad feeling about io unless the lightning trance makes him a newtype by the time he piloted atlas........
>>
You know I kind of find the idea of the Gundam "image" being really more a smoke and mirrors prestige really interesting.

Like... yeah Gundam MS' do tend to be at least high performance, complex machines that are relatively rare; but the idea that they're still just machines and with some exceptions, not necessarily all THAT much better than other MS' just because of their appearance...but people hold them in awe or fear anyways is kind of an interesting way to look at it.

Like said, non-Newtype pilots using Gundams have either wrecked them, or best case scenerio not have been any better or worse than other aces using even similarly on par equipment.

Its just the fact that throughout history, they happened to load in successful Newtype pilots into Gundams...maybe in some attempt to recreate the psychological effect started by Amuro and the og Gundam, that's what REALLY gives them prestige or fear. Like, if Zeta had a mono-eye head instead...but the same performance Kamille would have probably been just as succesful.

An MS just having a Gundam head on it being more of a psychological thing started by sheer coincidence is a lot more interesting to me than Gundams actually being the outright best MS. Like, it's just warpaint. It has, and always will be more the pilots and people just happen to want to give their most fearsome warpaint to whatever crazy powerful newtype teen prodigy they happen to get their hands on.
>>
>>13997627
>An MS just having a Gundam head on it being more of a psychological thing started by sheer coincidence is a lot more interesting to me than Gundams actually being the outright best MS.

wasn't the Hazel exactly that?
>let's put a Gundam face on this shitty GM so zekes shit their pants!
>it fucking works
>GENIUS
>>
It really goes to show how smart the Feds were to use the Gundam and the White Base as more of a well orchestrated propaganda tool and symbol than something that literally single handedly won the war.

Which it didn't, but that doesn't matter if thats what the people think. Apparently it's a strong enough message to make the very image of a V-fin shock people all the way to the UC 0150's.
>>
Wow, so a Gundam head...V fin and all, is basically the "ITS A GUNDAM!1" meme in the UC universe. A meme continued on and perpetuated by people because it's that powerful for military use. It's kind of crazy to think.
>>
>>13997641

>let's put a Gundam face on this shitty GM so zekes shit their pants!
>it fucking works
>GENIUS

Haha
>>
>>13997440

Gundams are souped-up concept MS crammed full of top-of-the-line weapons and thrusters and their centerpiece is usually some special experimental system or fancy but understated AI that learns how to react better to the pilot over time. They're also frequently piloted by Newtypes, and get shit on frequently when piloted by anyone else.
>>
>>13997491

You forgot Emma Sheen. Was Roux a Newtype? I think she piloted Zeta a few times.
>>
>>13997684
both newtypes
>>
>>13997627

Perhaps part of it is that the main design point of a gundam is a high competence threshold. If you're a mediocre pilot, it doesn't really compensate for it with ultra-heavy armor or weapons (usually), but if you're an incredible pilot it's the best machine for you to use because it's so responsive and handles so well where another machine might be hindering you the way the original was slowing Amuro down by the end of the One-Year War. The weird thing about gundam is that it's less that the gundam itself is special (usually) so much as that the pilot is special.
>>
>>13997684

Roux was Zeta's main pilot throughout ZZ.

She was pretty alright with it actually, it only got a bit wrecked at the end fighting against Quin Mantha.

And yes Roux was a Newtype. Kind of normal level though, but she is probably relatively speaking one of the more successful female Gundam pilots.

Maybe not saying much, but relatively speaking.
>>
>>13997694

Yeah I always got the impression thats what happened with Zeta post Kamille. It was kind of meant for him, and others like Roux or even Judau could use it competently but never to the same level.
>>
>>13997699

Elle was much cuter though.
>>
>>13997730

I like them both.

Even if they were sort of the reincarnation of Fa and Lechee from L-Gaim if you think about it. lol
>>
If you only look at canon gundams you will see almost all of them either had a great record or were so unknown it wouldnt tarnish the gundam's image
Kou's comparitive failures in his gundams were top secret
The alex was never mentioned again to keep it a secret
The MP victories were overshadowed by uso's ridiculous slaughter
Etc
>>
>>13997707

Good example, because Zeta is fucking great and it would have been a wrecking ball in ZZ if Kamille hadn't been in a Newtype coma.

Fuck ZZ's double-cannon, the beam bayonet on Zeta was the absolute best.
>>
>>13997440
>Don't they usually give Gundams to novice pilots without any prior combat experience?

Gundams are generally superior machines. They're faster, more powerful, and more heavily armored so they make up for the pilots lack of skill.
>>
>>13997440
Gundams are a symbol of justice and power.
>>
File: 3264146_2de8d30bb1.jpg (40 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
3264146_2de8d30bb1.jpg
40 KB, 500x375
>>13997938
Don't forget freedom.
>>
>>13998124

The only time beamspam was ever cool was when Unicorn had those giant shield/beamcannon funnels which we didn't see nearly enough of.
>>
>machine with performance about 20 times better than your shitty mass produced shit
>better weapons, better tech, probably better pilot too, not that it matters because the machine alone can decimate not only you but your entire squadron just by looking at it
Oh gee, why do you think?
>>
>>13998157
All part of the reputation. Remember, prior to the Gundam, the Feds were freaking out over a red Zaku.
>>
>>13997491
Chris won and made burgs
>>
>>13998175
She would have got the colony nuked if not for the Zeon ship getting stopped.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (25 KB, 358x400) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
25 KB, 358x400
>>13997440
Reminder that this is a thing
>>
>>13997440

Because two horns are double the single horn of their commanders.

No wonder they shit their pants.
>>
I think its a mixture of things. As pointed out by >13998863 having a ball with a gundam face worked so by end of the OYW the propaganda was a damn success. Several factions kept abusing it for decades and decades. Keep a meme running and it may become part of the culture of that era... The Gundam being the flag of victory for a certain faction surelly is one.

Also, gundams were usually prototypes or second gen testbeds for tech. Mostly to show the feds or some other faction what the developer could do to gain a production contract. Zeta earned anaheim years of zeta variations, the SNRI got the same out of the formula project...
>>
>>13997491
>Shiro
>Lost a leg and became a hobo
>Kou
>Got cucked AND spent a year in military prison
>Chris
>Won Chef of the Year for her fantastic burgers
>>
>>13999026
>Chris
>Years later she married the man of her dreams and got fantastic dickings
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.