[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Robotech is the superior version!!!!!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
I just saw Macross dubbed. It was horrible.

Minmay sounds like an old woman. Yucks.

The BGM is very outdated from the 80's, and also is overly dramatic.

No macross song matches We Will Win!

The only reason you can like macross more is if you are a nostalgia fag.
>>
>>13779103
>nostalgia fag.
Nostalgic for that time I saw it last March?
>>
I miss the "how to make Macrossfags mad" threads.
>>
>>13779103
Just once. Just one time, could the RT trolls use a different OP image?
I mean, I get that this is kind of the signature 'This is an RT troll thread' pic, but it gets boring. There's a lot of RT-specific pics you could use here. Bad toy ads, novel covers, some HILARIOUSLY bad comic art (I tried giving the RT comics a read after torrenting a bunch. I'm still trying to convince myself to go back. I'm not even into the main story proper and already I'm in awe of how bad the art is - I've seen freebie web comics drawn better than this...and some fuckers got paid to do this.)

Just saying, if you want to make a troll spoof, that's fine - but a little variety now and again to make us wonder if it's a spoof or not wouldn't hurt.
>>
File: Breetai.jpg (321 KB, 1020x1559) Image search: [Google]
Breetai.jpg
321 KB, 1020x1559
>>13779112
We at Robotechx all laughing.
>>
>>13779103
>Minmay sounds like an old woman.
How's that different from Robotech? I know its a troll, but does anyone genuinely think Reba West doesn't sound awful? I know Cam Clarke has fans, but he can at least fulfill the "act" part of voice actor, but Reba West is just... there's no words for how much more she makes me hate Minmei
>>
>>13779592
Fun Fact: Reba West was so terrified of the singing bits for Minmei she got liquored up to do them.
>>
>>13779602
Oh wow. I'm surprised if that's true, her singing was pretty good mostly.
>>
>>13779592
All I know of RT's cast is that it featured a young Richard Epcar...and honestly, he's pretty damn good with what he does, and even back then he was alright.
>>
>>13779592
At reast she doesn't sound rike me ruv you rong time engrish my thild ranguage rike Mari Ijima.
The real kicker is that she doesn't actually have that thick of an accent in english interviews, she did that shit *on purpose* for the macross dub. Everybody else's voice is just a little weak in comparison to the Robotech cast, but Mari Ijima is only there for publicity. Not only was it Mari Ijima returning to Macross after years of regretting the part because Minmay's success overshadowed Ijima's non-Macross career, but it was also the first time a japanese va did the english dub for their own character. Unfortunately she decided, for whatever reason, to act as if she was unable to properly pronounce english. Nevermind the fact that she doesn't sound like a teenager at all. Reba West may have played Minmay as ultra-dingy, but at least her voice was believable for a teen.

Honestly, I always recommend the subtitles over dubs for any anime that isn't G Gundam, but if you must watch a dub then I would say that the Macross dub is even worse than the Robotech one. It may not have the narrator or the name-swapping, but the acting is abysmal.
>>
>>13779605
One of the extras packed with one of the ten thousand DVD releases has a group interview and she talks about it in good humor. I think it was just that she was really nervous about doing it. Alcohol is called "Liquid Courage" for a reason. After Minmei she probably got over it, she sang in several other roles.
>>
>>13779103
>I just saw Macross dubbed
wew lad
>>
>>13779639
Sadly, this ain't wrong.

Macross is a damn good series, but that ADV dub is pretty terribad.
It's not even all on Ijima's ME RUV YOU RONG TIME either.
>>
>>13779644
Yeah, hiring Vic Mangina for Hikaru was a terrible call.
>>
>>13779605
I don't know, her singing makes my ears bleed. I'd still take Ijima's dub over West anyday fake, heavy accent and all.
>>
>Watching dubs
>Watching dubs from ADV

Wew
>>
>>13779661
this tbqh
>>
>>13779656
Not me. I'll take West's broadway showtunes over Ijima's generic jpop any day.

Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, as Lacus Clyne easily dwarfs both versions of Minmay. Hell, the only Macross pop idol I'd ever listen to voluntarily was Sharon Apple, there's more talent in Yoko Kanno's left tit than Mari Ijima and Reba West put together.
>>
>>13779724
Why don't you like Sheryl and Ranka's music when Yoko composed them?
>>
>>13779724
>as Lacus Clyne easily dwarfs both versions of Minmay
Are you retarded?
>>
>>13779737
Yoko composed them, but did not perform them. Therein lieth a world of difference.
You can take a song composed by Beethoven and have it performed by Roseanne Barr and the result will not reflect Beethoven's genius.
>>
>>13779737
Probably because he's a faggot
>>
File: 1122749462859[1].jpg (114 KB, 952x816) Image search: [Google]
1122749462859[1].jpg
114 KB, 952x816
"Toei Spider-Man is best."
Such funniness.
>>
>>13779759
>May'n isn't an excellent singer
I love this meme. Whatever level of bullshit it takes to carry your irrational hatred of Frontier, right?
>>
>>13779750
Lacus Clyne the character was shit, but her voice actress was not. Tanaka Rie is pretty high up there in terms of talent. Not her fault the character was written like ass.
>>
>>13780656
You said "Lacus dwarfs both versions of Minmay" which is both wrong both character-wise and music-wise. I know Tanaka Rie a good singer but none of that shit carried over to SEED itself
>>
>>13780671
I'm a different anon from that guy, but w/e, since I agree with him at least as far as voices go. I don't necessarily agree that she "dwarfs" them, but I do like her voice/songs more.

I don't know how thinking that Tanaka Rie had better songs in SEED than either version of Minmei makes one retarded. Of all the Minmei songs in Macross, the only ones I cared for were My Boyfriends a Pilot and DYRL. Tanaka Rie's songs in SEED are standard fair for her, so saying she was shit in SEED but not elsewhere just doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>13779654
>ADV dub
>Without Vic Mangina
>>
>>13779644

Ijima's voice is super sweet-sounding though.

>she well never say your name and then sing Shao Pai Long or Zero-G Love

Feels bad, man.

Sure, her English accent wasn't amazing. But, she tried pretty hard.

Vic allegedly ragging her for Hikaru's original VA's suicide is a total dick move though.

But that's the least of the horrible stories about him.
>>
>>13779615
At the time of that dub, as far as i can tell, she definitely had an accent roughly that thick.

And i wouldn't care if it was an affected accent, because she actually ia Japanese anyway, it's not exactly like a white person pretending to be Japanese or something.
>>
>>13779615
>>13779639
>>13779644
>>13779654
>>13779661
>>13780889

ADV's SDF dub is my first Macross show. In fact, thinking back on it, some of the lines in said dub were funnier than the Japanese dub. Some examples:

1. Mignogna's Hikaru's "You did an enemy pilot" from Episode 25: Virgin Road.

2. Mike Kleinhenz' Bodolza's "I demand you show me how this 'kiss' process works" from Episode 11: First Contact.
>>
File: destroy all vermin.png (492 KB, 602x566) Image search: [Google]
destroy all vermin.png
492 KB, 602x566
>>13779103
Golden Harmony is probably in league with space rat scum.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.