[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is Wild Arms,/m/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 13
How is Wild Arms,/m/?
>>
>>13626033

Mimics are actually a threat on first encounter.

I assume those are blades on the end of his super stylish ancient-technology dual SMGs. Crits with those are amazing.

Protect the healer at all costs.

Learning how to exploit the ley lines is hard but the payoff is well worth the damn.

I wish they had a JP-voice option, I'm just unable to get used to dubbed loli.

I use the alternate color costumes well past their usefulness just for kicks.

EXP medals are worth the build if you like to level up everyone at once.

I let Neko people go on for three turns just for kicks.

RIP Shovel-kun.

The ending was I don't know, lost my latest save somewhere near the climax so I'll get back to that when I've replayed everything and caught up which should be sometime this century.

Wild Arms V is the only WA game I've played.
>>
>>13626033
Ask the Symphogear general.
>>
Dean Stark,total badass.
>>
File: KnightBlazer.jpg (182 KB, 850x743) Image search: [Google]
KnightBlazer.jpg
182 KB, 850x743
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve2vRYn7LJk
YES
>>
I've never played any of the games but the opening for the 2nd one is fucking great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JfCYgxrQ_M
>>
They're all pretty cool, though 4 is the iffiest and I haven't played XF yet.
Also, Alter Code F is one of those remakes that are straight-up better than the original.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8EKttSu3I
>>
I've been finishing up my replay of Wild Arms 2 recently. It's still a great game, if pretty hilariously easy sometimes because Knight Blazer shits on everything. And it's fun to see those Symphogear parallels.

I'm planning to play the PS2 Wild Arms since I never touched those yet after I'm done.

>>13626479
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tpoKq0X6xs

I think I actually like OP 2 for WA2 more even if that shot of Knight Blazer at the beginning of OP 1 is the stuff miracles are made of.
>>
>>13626493
>Also, Alter Code F is one of those remakes that are straight-up better than the original.

Ahhh, it's nice to hear from a sensible WA fan once in a while. I always hear people trashing on ACF for some bizarre reason and I just can't for the life of me see why anyone would have a problem with it.
>>
>>13626573
>if pretty hilariously easy sometimes because Knight Blazer shits on everything
You don't even need that. Just max those personal skills that increase HP, defense, and [character's main attack stat] and that's it, you're invincible for the entire story unless you run into a secret boss by accident (seriously I wasn't expecting poking a sword on the ground would get me into a fight with Winsfeld's ghost without even asking me if I want to).
>>
>>13626594
Yeah, they didn't balance the defensive skills too well when bosses will only hit for anywhere from 10% to literally 0 damage unless they use their strongest skills which you can just heal off with Lilka and Tim with ease. I'd say I'd like to see a remake of 2 with better balance and Knight Blazer in modern graphics, but that'd imply we'd ever get another Wild Arms game to begin with.
>>
>>13626493
>>13626593
FYI the ridiculous translation errors from the first game (Gepetto > Zepett, homunculus > Holm Cross, Asgard > Earth Golem, Siegfried Zwei > Zeikfeid Tuvai, etc.) were because of the retarded "fans" who threw fits about "changing the names" when we got screenshots of the English version which had the translations fixed.
>>
>>13626593
Oh, I can see why, really. Even disregarding how fans of SNES/PSX era games (and especially RPGs) are the unholy kings of nostalgia goggles, it does have flaws the original didn't have, such as being generally more breakable (Gatling Raid just tears apart any fight if tweaked a bit), having a ton more playable characters but not letting you actually perma-recruit them before the very end (especially bad when one of them has the item stealing ability that was once an early game skill of Jack's), or a translation job that fixes some of the original's errors only to make a ton of brand new ones.
Oh, and there's the soundtrack. The new version of the soundtrack is very much WA1's remixed in the style of WA3's (all of ACF can be described as 1 in the style of 3 really), and I can see how that's not to everyone's taste, especially when some of the tracks turn out REALLY different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KJ7TE0Fss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-LWQ_90Lw
>>
I really liked Wild Arms 3.

Virginia a cute.
>>
File: 1425201898529.jpg (11 KB, 198x203) Image search: [Google]
1425201898529.jpg
11 KB, 198x203
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKtO8AZLp2I
>>
File: kP_sR35X.jpg (24 KB, 320x418) Image search: [Google]
kP_sR35X.jpg
24 KB, 320x418
They should do Zed vs Liz & Ard for a joke boss matchup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GavGCnFGfJQ
>>
>>13626594
>seriously I wasn't expecting poking a sword on the ground would get me into a fight with Winsfeld's ghost without even asking me if I want to
iirc you can use a reviving thing on the ghost and it gets wrecked, I felt so clever and yet so lazy
>>
>>13627413
Even easier than that, you can even just use a Turn Undead spell on him like he's an average zombie random encounter or something.
>>
File: harken.jpg (28 KB, 405x455) Image search: [Google]
harken.jpg
28 KB, 405x455
Harken a best
>>
File: Virginia.Maxwell.full.127902.jpg (179 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Virginia.Maxwell.full.127902.jpg
179 KB, 1024x768
Hey guise, I own 3 and 4. I was really interested on 3 because I like Virginia. Am I good? Can I play 3 first and think about getting or emulating the earlier ones later?
>>
>>13627525
Yeah it's more or less stand-alone.

Might be hard to go back to WA2's graphics after the PS2 games, if you want to play it some day you might want to just emulate it first. Also it's five bucks on PSN if you're too lazy to emulate.
>>
>>13627525

WA 3 is interesting. At first glance it seems like the plot is just one unrelated thing happening after the next but then something clicks and it's scary how well everything is foreshadowed

She's everywhere
>>
File: 2wcpix0.jpg (199 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2wcpix0.jpg
199 KB, 1024x768
>>13627541
Hah, don't worry about that, I'm used to older graphics. Last month I played the 1988 KQ4 after playing the remakes of the first ones, I'll be OK. The problem is going to be obtaining 2 legit. I don't own anything with PSN on it, and while I've been tracking a PAL copy of 1 for a while, 2 wasn't released here. That's why I'll probably just end up emulating it.

>>13627587
Neat. I already think the setting and main cast make it look interesting enough. As if a western-themed RPG wasn't enough of a cool thing already. The closest thing to that I knew before learning of these games existance was the Sundown Kid chapter of LaL.

Also I like Garrows, he reminds me of Santana from Cyberbots a little bit too much.
>>
Even with the subpar translation, i repkay wa2 almost every year.

Fucking knightblazer
Great villain terrorist group
Getting a mecha dragon ship
That fucking overworld bgm
Kanons gat skills that sent everyone to gameover screens to anyone who didnt skil up that max hp skill
All the secret summons and bosses

We desperately need a remake along with an anastacia prequel
>>
>>13627413
>>13627435
>scrubs who used turn undead

Just kidding. Shit was a pain in the ass, even when your overlevelled.
>>
>>13626618
Yes because the Prussian unification was not a thing.
>>
One of my favorite RPG series. Too bad it never really took off big. Also it has a kinda shitty animu adaptation that somehow got a US release.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Arms:_Twilight_Venom
>>
>>13626573
for a second I thought that was Nadesico opening
dem trumpets tho
>>
>>13627541
Technically 3 kind of sets itself up as a sequel to 1, but it's one of those sequels that take place decades if not centuries after the original and only feature some neat throwbacks.
>>
>>13626033
WA2 is my favorite game ever.

>>13626368
>You will never play the Golgotha prison for the first time again
It hurts to live.
>>
>>13626573
>if pretty hilariously easy sometimes because Knight Blazer shits on everything
Angolmois is still one of the hardest bosses I've ever fought.

>>13626593
It has better graphics, more content, more characters and leaves the story alone. There's no reason not to like it as it's the correct way to do a remake. And unlike the upcoming FFVII remake, it's not sold in multiple installments.
>>
>>13626605
I'd prefer if they made Knight Blazer harder to trigger, but left him just as broken, or even made him more broken. Story wise he's supposed to completely outclass the entire party and I like when games keep consistent with that kind of stuff.
>>
>>13626609
I personally still liked "Dream Chasers" better.
>>
File: WA1.png (82 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
WA1.png
82 KB, 320x240
I was so disappointed when I first played WA2. I was so hoping for the Wild Arms series to be direct sequels instead of pulling a "Final Fantasy" on us and having all the games be unrelated. WA2 was still a damn good game, though.

The world of WA1 is still my favorite. Metal Demons, archeo-tech, Mother and her body horror when she ate Zeikfried, tons of secret bosses and story, and a very weird mix of sci-fi, medieval fantasy, AND Wild West themes all rolled together.

I'm sorta sad the series is sorta dead though. The last thing made was a shitty flip phone game (before even smart phones) and then the studio was shut down.
>>
>>13626225
You can do anything as long as you don't give up, etc.
>>
>>13629718
WA2 was a better game, so I don't mind.

And if it makes you feel better, Rudy's arm ends up becoming Airgehtlam after falling through the dimensional rift. Look up Celtic lore to understand the reference.
>>
A fucking awesome JRPG series which is never heard since.
>>
What about that rumor for WA6?
>>
>>13629916
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/02/01/wild-arms-6-release-possible/

Original creator wants to do it, but knows demand is low.
>>
>>13630025
As much as I absolutely love WA, I wouldn't want Kaneko writing another game and killing the franchises one chance at revival after seeing his work on GX.
>>
>>13630140
It's okay, he blew all the daddy issues on 3 already.
>>
>>13630164
I don't even want to take a 1% chance that the next WA game is heiki hecchara edition. He needs to write something good before I trust him again.
>>
>>13627713
Don't confuse expert political maneuvering with your sledgehammer tactics.
>>
why is the only western rpg series made in japan?
>>
what was that scene from symphogear where the music was wubstep at first but then turned into western trumpets?
>>
>>13630898
Because some of Japan's creators have the best taste, while all western creators have shit taste.
>>
I like the whistling
>>
>>13633001
We all do.
>>
Started WA2nd Ignition
Did the 3 prologues and now chasing some cat.
Comfy so far.
>>
>>13634000
Wait till the terrorism starts.
>>
>>13634223
I definitely didn't expect discussion of nuclear politics except the nukes are all mecha dragons in my Wild West JRPGs when I played it. He's in for a ride.
>>
>>13626033
Thanks for reminding me that I need to finish WA5. I stopped about halfway.
>>
>>13635824
Don't forget your benefactor funded the terrorists for the purpose of uniting the people of the world against a common threat, and at the end he sacrifices himself and his sister because he thinks it's the right thing to do.

Seriously, how did Kaneko go from that to GX?
>>
>>13629800
Right, I guess I heard that was explained in a magazine or strategy guide or something?
>>
>>13635893
There's a compilation book called "The Art of Wild Arms" or something, and it had a lot of info like that.

I think that's also where we learned about Ashley's scarf and why he keeps it in is transformed state.
>>
>>13635879
GX had no end of problems but I don't think it's fair to compare a 2 disc game to a thirteen episode anime. Imagine if he had to compress all of Wild Arms 2 into like six and a half hours of gameplay.
>>
>>13635930
>I don't think it's fair to compare a 2 disc game to a thirteen episode anime.
Yeah but the difference in quality is so staggering that at that point it's not just "Well it was time constraints."

>Imagine if he had to compress all of Wild Arms 2 into like six and a half hours of gameplay.
A good author can write within his constraints. For example, season 1 of Symphogear stands head and shoulders above GX in terms of story telling, pacing, characters, atmosphere, development of themes, and basically everything else Kaneko was involved in. 13 episode anime vs 13 episode anime is a pretty apples to apples comparison to make, no?
>>
>>13635897
>I think that's also where we learned about Ashley's scarf and why he keeps it in is transformed state.

Could you clarify more on that?
>>
>>13626033
I really loved the original when it came out, but even at the time the 3-D stuff looked like shit. I thought that Alter Code was a fairly faithful remake, so as long as you keep in mind what else has been mentioned, playing that instead of the original isn't a bad idea. It's an awfully long series.

Also, 5 is a real pain in the ass if you want to get the Knight Blazer costume. Making sure you had every single chest ended up as a huge problem for some reason.

>>13627525
I personally skipped 4 when it came out, but thought it was sub-par when I finally got around to playing it. Probably didn't help that I only liked one out of the 4 main characters, and thought the plot was stupid, though.
>>
>>13635879

Also INCEST don't forget the INCEST
>>
The first one was kinda a slog for me, wasn't very engaging. I recognize I'm in the minority though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0LdpkVyzvM
>>
File: 13775573.png (558 KB, 750x949) Image search: [Google]
13775573.png
558 KB, 750x949
>>13636611
>Not a cool anime opening set to an instrumental

I liked you, wild arms 5 but this was unforgivable

also Rebecca a shit
>>
>>13636627
Anime openings cost ridiculous amounts of money. I've never seen the details of the Wild Arms ones, but with Sakura Taisen 3 the entire game cost 5 billion yen to develop and the OP alone cost 3 billion.

>本作の製作費は5億でOPに3億かけている
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL9fXYjrpWQ
>>
File: MarivelAsgard.jpg (253 KB, 1223x1000) Image search: [Google]
MarivelAsgard.jpg
253 KB, 1223x1000
I've played 1, 2, and 3. I emulated 5 but I was barely able to play and it got annoying really quickly.

Still need to beat 1 on my vita. Which I'll do eventually.
>>
What's wrong with Symphogear GX?
I've been working my way through the first season of the series and enjoying it, but everyone in the other community I hang out in says the series gets much better and they jizz over GX like crazy.
>>
>>13636704
>Still need to beat 1 on my vita
1 is terrible. The game itself didn't age very well, was buggy as hell to begin with, and the translation is fucking Duwang tier. Alter Code F is a complete remake of 1 with more content and a proper translation, with only the names being left the same as the Duwang translation because >>13626609

Seriously though

>Siegfried Zwei
>Zeikfreid Tuvai
>>
>>13636716
Also

>mfw the German translation of 1/AF worked off the shitty english translations and left the fucking name a Zeikfreid FUCKING TUVAI
>>
>>13635993
>Could you clarify more on that?
Sure.

I bought a Japanese copy of the game, and one of the things I did right away was to check the manual. I knew the localizations were shit, but there was one thing in particular that always bugged me. Under the "favorite hero" section of Ashley's bio, it said "Anything Crimson" and I had no idea what the fuck that meant. In the original manual it says "レッド全般" which means "Red in general". I had no idea what that meant either, so I had a Japanese friend help me look into it. The guy who helped me out is a professional translator and is into otakushit like you and I, so he was able to figure it out, but he said that a normal TL with a deadline to meet would never have been able to figure this out and translate it correctly. What it means is that Ashley is a huge fucking sentaifag, and he idolized all red sentai leaders (that's the reason he wears the scarf). In the guidebook, there's a line that says when Ashley transforms into Knightblazer, one of the stronger aspects of his personality that remains is his love for red sentai rangers, and it manifests itself as that red scarf/cape Knightblazer wears. I think that's a pretty fucking cool reference, and wish Kaneko still did cool little references like that in supplementary works instead of using keywords to try to write an entire story like he did with GX.

>>13636352
It really did have everything, didn't it?
>>
>>13636685
>the OP alone cost 3 billion.
That's gotta be wrong. That's about 10 times the average cost of a full season of anime.

>>13636713
>everyone in the other community I hang out in says the series gets much better and they jizz over GX like cra
You're either lying or you need to go back to that "other community" and stay there with the retards.
>>
>>13636713
Nothing, you're just in the den of oversensitive manchildren.
>>
>>13636926
>Nothing was wrong with GX
This is a good thread, let's not start shitposting.
>>
>>13636932
>watching sypmhogear for good writing
It was about as retarded as the previous two seasons.
>>
>>13636938
>Symphogear writing has always been shit!
I love this meme. Can we skip the part where I explain why that's completely wrong and season 1 had solid writing, and that you're just an idiot who marathoned the first two seasons to rush through GX without paying attention, and then you go back to saying "Well there might not be anything bad about it, but that doesn't make season 1 good." because that's all you'll have left to be able to say?

It's the same fucking conversation every time.
>>
>>13636944
Symphogear never had good writing though.
>>
>>13636944
>>13636948
Guys, please, you have an entire general to yourselves, no need to spill over.
>>
>>13636948
>Consistent pacing throughout
>All character development is based on issues woven into their backstories and all of it makes sense
>All named characters have a roll in the story and have different rolls with respect to the main characters and their development
>Focus on main characters is spread evenly throughout and not chopped up
>Villain's motives are kept a mystery to build suspense, after the reveal we can see their actions were always in line with their goal
>Ideas and themes are reinforced by the plot
>Decisive conclusion that ends conflict
Sorry, which part of the writing wasn't good? Remember, "I don't like the character designs and fighting girls" or "I'm an idiot who marathoned it with commie subs and didn't understand the story at all" aren't answers.
>>
>>13626059
There are undubs for WA4 and WA5
>>
So does the wa anime fit in anywhere and is it any good?
>>
>>13637004
I think it's an original story. Heard it was meh so I haven't watched yet.
>>
>>13636713
>other community

You mean MAL or ANN forums? The writing in GX was offensively bad, there is inconsistency everywhere that clearly shows a sloppy rewrite.

Every character took one step forward and then three steps back, the previous older role model was turned into a cardboard cutout, and the MC's central pillar of support was erased from the final arc not even getting a cameo during the epilogue scene.
>>
>>13627357
>tfw Aniki will never burst in on your karaoke session
https://youtu.be/FA5e9rFtE-Q
>>
>>13626479
that's right
>>
>>13626033
>Played game 1, It's pacing was shit.
>>
>>13637349
>tfw I will never experience this
WHY, CRUEL LIFE, WHY
>>
>>13637759
Forgot how to use greentext correctly?
>>
>>13638209
I greentext when I'm not even aware.
>>
>>13636918
That is exceptionally fantastic.
>>
>>13639791
Indeed. Too bad about all of Kaneko's clever writing ability and talent leaving him.
>>
>>13636918
>instead of using keywords to try to write an entire story like he did with GX.
You wot
>>
>>13639878
If you didn't follow GX (not just the show, but all the interviews and supplementary material) then it's not something than can easily be explained in a single post.
>>
File: Lombardia.jpg (323 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Lombardia.jpg
323 KB, 640x480
Coolest airship ever.
>>
>>13642930
It's a transforming nuclear dragon that fled it's dying world and agreed to help you fight the menace that destroyed its' homeworld. Of course it's the coolest airship ever.
>>
Wild arms 3 a best wild arms. It was the one that felt the most wild west-like and had the Filgaia most affected by the decay of the environment, and lets not forget that everybody had a gun there
>>
The only /m/ thing about Wild Arms is the dragons, and even those are a side show.
>>
>>13644980
So the power armor, literal giant robots, and various androids and cyborgs (several of which are main characters) aren't /m/?
>>
>>13644934
>Wild arms 3 a best wild arms.
That's 2.

>>13644980
Have you even looked at the fucking weapons? Everything from transforming arm guns to bionic bodies to literal mechs.
>>
>>13644992
>>13644996
Excuse me? You saying it's not just Wild West cowboys?
>>
>>13645011
>Didn't play the games
>Comments anyways
How fucking stupid are you?
>>
>>13645011
>major enemies the show are nanomachine-augmented mecha cyborg humans riding on nanomachine-augmented mecha cyborg dragons fighting against augmented nanomachine space colonists from Earth who have forgotten their old ancestral homeworld and are now living on the planet they named Fargaia, meant to symbolize faraway from Gaia, which over the centuries and even millennia is bastardized into Filgea, Filgaia, Falgaia, and so on
>>
>>13645014
Very.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.