[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most common or overused mecha/scifi tropes you dislike?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 23
File: vint-richard-stallma_1.jpg (83 KB, 610x400) Image search: [Google]
vint-richard-stallma_1.jpg
83 KB, 610x400
What are the most common or overused mecha/scifi tropes you dislike? What are the less common tropes you love to see when it does happen?
>>
File: G-Reco free mecha.jpg (259 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
G-Reco free mecha.jpg
259 KB, 1920x1080
>>13604998
>What are the less common tropes you love to see when it does happen?
Mecha running on free software ;_;
>>
>>13604998
>What are the most common or overused mecha/scifi tropes you dislike?

Military drama

Classical super robots
>>
>>13604998
Unintelligent nonhumanoid aliens are really fucking boring. I'd enjoy a series where the protagonist starts off killing what he thinks are mindless bugs, only to discover that he was shooting at innocent civilians with families in a highly complex society.

Also, UNDERSTANDING, but I think we all hate that one. It just makes me appreciate stuff like Mass Effect for having Cerberus and 40k for having the Imperium be the way it is.

And speaking of 40k, I want to see more factions like the Orkz that can technically think and reason, but are dumber than rocks. Sci-fi is stuffed with races that are either special snowflake superior to humans or mindless.
>>
File: 1445434434130.png (96 KB, 471x335) Image search: [Google]
1445434434130.png
96 KB, 471x335
>>13605950
>I'd enjoy a series where the protagonist starts off killing what he thinks are mindless bugs, only to discover that he was shooting at innocent civilians with families in a highly complex society.

We had that.

It was terrible.
>>
>>13605950
Go. Watch. Nadesico.
>>
Honestly, the one that keeps irking me is how writers keep pretending that their magical future reactors will go nuclear and explode if you shoot at it, like it's a bundle of dynamite sticks. Nobody would ever design reactors like that, and even if they did no sane military force would deploy those reactors since they'd cause more casualties among their own forces than against the enemy.
>>
>>13605992
Nadesico had them be humans all along. Doesn't count.
>>
>>13605919
doesn't the classic super robot remain dead because they were overdone and people got tired of it?

For me, I'm tired of 'realistic' mecha protags only ever taking grazing shots or at most losing limbs in a dramatic defeat scene. And of course the inevitable 'hidden supertrait' that always comes up to explain it away.

Fuck that, show me a mecha show where the main pilot loses and dies horribly, but keeps coming back for some reason. Or just show me something where main characters are demonstrated to be as expendable as the throwaways.
>>
>>13605950
>I'd enjoy a series where the protagonist starts off killing what he thinks are mindless bugs, only to discover that he was shooting at innocent civilians with families in a highly complex society.

But that *is* UNDERSTANDING.
>>
>>13606045
So... Bokurano?
>>
>>13606045
Your post is the most overused mecha trope that I dislike

Go join ISIS if you just want to see morbid violence you fuccboi.
>>
File: edge-tomorrow-crui_2925098b.jpg (52 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
edge-tomorrow-crui_2925098b.jpg
52 KB, 620x387
>>13606045
>Fuck that, show me a mecha show where the main pilot loses and dies horribly, but keeps coming back for some reason.
>>
>>13606056
Nah man, that's acknowledging. It's only UNDERSTANDING if they take it a step beyond and say that the humans must coexist peacefully with the bugs.

I mean, there are anime where two intelligent alien races come into contact with each other and never reconcile their differences. Layzner, for example. That's the only one I can think of, though, so you can see why we all want more.
>>
File: frank_frazetta_dawnattack.jpg (397 KB, 1300x850) Image search: [Google]
frank_frazetta_dawnattack.jpg
397 KB, 1300x850
Are there any mecha space opera show? Because it feels like a quasi-fantasy tone would fit giant robots pretty well.
>>
>>13606080
What about Ender's Game? He doesn't UNDERSTAND until after he wipes the bugs out.
>>
File: 1381170751883.jpg (16 KB, 353x222) Image search: [Google]
1381170751883.jpg
16 KB, 353x222
>Extensively developed extraterrestrial race
>Always humanoid

>Empirical expansionist race
>Damn near always insects
>>
>mecha team
>only the main character is allowed to do anything of significance, everyone else shows up to get kicked around
>especially women pilots aligned with the protagonists.

Gundam is especially guilty of this.
>>
>>13606114
Every super robot show in existence is guilty of this if they even have more than one mech at all.

Actual support craft seem to be more useful though. The Big Shooter in Jeeg, for example, or the Cosmo Crusher in God Mars. Hell, even a few of the army and alien planes in Voltes V had their moments.
>>
>>13606103

>Empirical

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/empirical

I think you mean Imperial, or Imperialistic.
>>
>>13606045
>show me a mecha show where the main pilot loses and dies horribly, but keeps coming back for some reason
That's not realistic in the slightest. Fucking hypocrite.
>>
>>13606080
>>13606092
Starship Troopers, too.
>>
>>13605005
A mecha powered by gentoo, lets fucking do it.
>>
>>13606045
>Fuck that, show me a mecha show where the main pilot loses and dies horribly, but keeps coming back for some reason.
Gundam SEED Destiny
>>
>>13605950
I dislike the opposite, where the aliens are indistinguishable from humans except for weirdly colored hair or poorly-explained supernatural abilities/plot devices. I don't mind if they have a humanoid body structure, but really, use your imagination when you're creating alien races.

>>13606070
The book too
>>
>>13606114
>implying
>>
>>13606223
You better tell me what she does in that episode, because all I remember is her getting kicked around by the Quin Mantha at the end of the series, and then the Double Zeta tanks everything the same mobile suit throws at it.

I actually was going to give some credit to the people from ZZ Gundam, but I don't remembers ny of them doing anything of any significance. I remember a scene where Elle is using the Mk. II to beat up some Neo Zeon grunts while Judau sneaks around Axis, but then Glemmy shows up and kicks her ass.
>>
File: Nor_Crystal_Tears[1].jpg (20 KB, 200x328) Image search: [Google]
Nor_Crystal_Tears[1].jpg
20 KB, 200x328
I really enjoyed the Thranx, they don't seem like the stereotypical bug alien race. Near the ending when the Thranx grubs and the Human children interacted with each other was really cute.
>>
>>13606241
Takes out every named enemy in the 2 parter except the one Judau killed the previous episode in 35 seconds of screen time.

I mean Glemy didn't die because he's a huge shit but still.
>>
>>13606223
SJWs the anime
>>
File: Laughing Norma.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Norma.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>common or overused mecha/scifi tropes you dislike?

Male main characters

>less common tropes you love to see when it does happen?

Female main characters.

Not really.
>>
File: HERECOMESCHAR.gif (193 KB, 499x374) Image search: [Google]
HERECOMESCHAR.gif
193 KB, 499x374
Ships being a meme because of advanced mech weaponry. Ships should be powerhouses, even against super robots.
>>
>>13606321
Not even just ships, combined arms in general. If there's one thing I appreciate Full Metal Panic for, it's for incorporating a submarine into a mecha show that's actually fucking useful/significant
>>
>>13605950
>Also, UNDERSTANDING, but I think we all hate that one. It just makes me appreciate stuff like Mass Effect for having Cerberus and 40k for having the Imperium be the way it is.
You have stuff like the Blue Cosmos for your feddywank.
>>
>>13606045
>>Fuck that, show me a mecha show where the main pilot loses and dies
read All you need is kill
>>
>>13606223
>that QUALITY
>>
Prototypes always being more powerful than the mass production versions or subsequent models. Where is the show where the MC pilots a secret prototype that's a loosely-held-together hunk-of-junk with exposed internals and incomplete systems? I want a show where the MC gets an mid-season upgrade and it's the production model.
>>
>>13606223
>>13606250
That's a great episode: good fights, good animation and you get to see the sexy GM IIIs.
>>
>>13608884
IBO
>>
>>13604998
Headquarters Technobable spewing and analyzing why they are in trouble.
I don't despise it a lot, it's just that i notice it was a thing ever since Evangelion and i'm kinda tired of it.

Unorthodox-looking aliens.

Something like ELS and to a certain extend, Festums. Most aliens in sci-fi are either monstrous, weird and H.R Geiger ripoffs. One thing in common about them is that they're fleshy.

People may hate on 00 movie, but i like the idea of ELS. Cause it's an alien that is not like any other aliens in design. You thought they're spaceships or sort, but no, it's the living creature itself. I like to see more of that idea.
>>
More technicality/engineering. I want to see them having to jerry-rig hydraulic lines from the limbs of enemy mobile suits or whatever to keep their suits running with limited/no supplies.
>>
>>13606080
Heroic Age, ending literally has the humans making peace with a race of unintelligible giant space bugs.
>>
Ancient alliums. Not that I don't like a lot of stuff that uses it (Macross, Stargate, Halo, Guyver), but it's awfully overused now.

Really, why does Ass Creed need "lol God was really aliens n' shit"? Why does it need the animus plot at all? Why not just a bunch of completely separate stories about assassin guys who all happen to be distant relatives? Why do I even care when this series has been shit for years? /v/ pls go.

As for the opposite of cliches, I wish there where more series where the main character's piloted robot had a talking AI and the ability to move and fight autonomously. Only ones I can think of are FMP, Gargantia, and Layzner.

>>13606103
I could go for some multi legged bug aliens who aren't an asshole hivemind.
>>
>>13606089
You mean like Captain Harlock?
>>
>>13608884
>Prototypes always being more powerful than the mass production versions or subsequent models.

That's usually true in real life though. They make the prototype really fucking good to clear tests with flying colors and impress the brass to get that sweet contract then cheapen out on the mass production model because they never actually intend it to go through the level of shit the prototype had to in the test.
>>
>>13609020
Remember, your gun, plate carrier, and mobile suit was made by the lowest bidder.
>>
>>13606045
>Le super robot is dead meme
An /m/ vintage
>>
>>13608963
>Ancient alliums.
I'd like to see something like Zecharia Sitchin's writings about what Ye Olde Days was like with the Ancient Aliens fighting with each other, but with robots thrown in for the fights.
>>
>>13609020
This is completely wrong. Half the time prototypes aren't even capable of fighting because they're for testing other aspects of performance such as maneuverability. Plus, because they're prototypes, they've probably got non-optimized equipment and software, assuming they even have all the equipment that ends up in the production model.
>>
>>13604998
>enemy force invades peaceful area
>protag fight them off
>"We just want a land where we can live peacefully!"
>protag feels bad because bad writing

fuck you f.am you think you can just invade my land without consequences?

>>13605950

pls no, marcross F and starcraft retcon was already bad enough

>but they were just misguided, they dindu nuthin!
>>
>>13604998
>What are the most common or overused mecha/scifi tropes you dislike

Overemphasis on moral relativism between the two sides in a mecha war.

A realistic war mecha show, where there's a mech that runs on pure bullshitium.

No not like how a Gundam is just overpowered in its series, that still runs on the rules of the show. I'm talking about everything else is grounded, and then out of nowhere there's a machine that runs on magic or the pilot's willpower or something. Basically, what if Basara was in the original Macross.
>>
>>13609995
>No not like how a Gundam is just overpowered in its series, that still runs on the rules of the show
You say that as if Gundam hasn't done exactly what you're talking about. 00 Raiser/[Qan]T, for example. The Arbalest/Laevatin do it as well, as does Dancouga. I hear L-Gaim Mk-II is kinda like that as well, and while Layzner technically isn't, it has a lot of strange properties that the other SPTs don't have, such as an apparently magic AI, the fact that it has existed for thousands of years and has an internalized V-Max system whereas none of the other Gradosian SPTs did until near the end of the show and even then it was just the Zakaal, etc.
>>
>>13604998
>most common or overused mecha/scifi tropes you dislike

First episode starts out MC in his school. He encounters a mysterious girl.

Every. Fucking. Time.
>>
>>13606089
>Are there any mecha space opera show? Because it feels like a quasi-fantasy tone would fit giant robots pretty well.

Proper space opera mecha shows are VERY rare. I can think of three:

Lensman
Outlaw Star
Space Dandy

I don't count Yamato, Harlock, Macross, and shows like that. Yes, they're introduced multiple alien races, but each series tends to focus on one main enemy race (and they're almost always entirely human anyway).
>>
>>13610879
I've watched a shitload of mecha shows and I've only seen that once or twice.

That's mostly only something that happens in the generic post-2000s flavor of the week shit that /a/ never shuts up about
>>
>>13604998
>most common or overused mecha/scifi tropes you dislike

1. Kid / teenage protagonist
2. Said protagonist better than adultss without training
3. Said protagonist being smug and insufferable
4. War. There have too much of it.
5. Rainbow paint job on war mechs
6. Protagonist being ace.

1.Intricacies of hardware and software (patlobor 1 the movie did it well)
2.Combined arms (dougram)
3.Grunt mech doing job like any other wing of military equipment (Ryosuke Takahashi)
4.Tank-like battles (votoms)
5.Comedy
6.Adventure (giant gorg)
7.Doing stuff that is not war(patlabor with some exceptions0
>>
>an antagonist is someone that poses an actual threat
>not "he wasn't instantly shot down and kicks the protagonist mecha once or twice", the antagonist will tear the protagonists to pieces if they aren't extra careful

I don't know if it's fair to include Dragonar, seeing as Gun Jym is the actual final boss of the series.
>>
>>13610879
>Naked injured girl falls out of robot's cockpit
>>
>>13608884
Fucken 08th MS team does that
>>
>>13604998
That one shot where the pilot leans over the controls and yells.

AI controlled mecha being superior to human pilots to the point where humans can't actually keep up with them.
>>
>>13609020
Not to mention GMs are cheaper and the Feddies were already stretched thin.
>>
File: tumblr_nx6nekbvRj1r3n11po1_540.png (163 KB, 540x544) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx6nekbvRj1r3n11po1_540.png
163 KB, 540x544
>>13606070
that movie was so fucking good. It still blows my mind that such a quality action-comedy can be made these days.

I should probably read the manga, right?

>>13608963
See, I liked the original bungie idea for the Forerunners, which was just that they were regular humans, and we were just the second human civ that developed after the Array fired. 343i a shit 4ever

anyway as for tropes:
>event happens in a fictional world
>event is reexplored from a wildly different perspective with different moods and themes

I love it, pic related
>>
>>13611457
>man says to get in robot
>kid cums on his hand in front of a comatose girl

it just keeps happening!
>>
>>13613478
Read the book, just look at the manga once to see what the Jackets look like
>>
File: 1439512767276.png (230 KB, 500x542) Image search: [Google]
1439512767276.png
230 KB, 500x542
>>13613488
>guy is given a suitcase
>the suitcase holds a naked girl
>she becomes his copilot
>he fugs her

EVERY TIME!

Not that I'm complaining.
>>
>>13613552
i think getting a free submissive gf from a suitcase is the definitive MRA fantasy
>>
>>13613631
>>>/co/mblr
>>
File: Boss.jpg (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Boss.jpg
18 KB, 400x300
>>13613637
>he likes MRAs

has mecha taught you nothing, Jack?
>>
File: 1408511764687.png (269 KB, 538x538) Image search: [Google]
1408511764687.png
269 KB, 538x538
>>13613647
>bringing MRAs into a topic where they're of zero relevance
>>
>>13613631
>>13613647
What does that even mean?
>>
>>13604998
I dislike:
>Oh that character is sick but no one knows.

Like:
>Hero has rival but the rival is not the villian. Suddendly they manage to get rid of the villian. Turns out the rival was doing shit behind the scenes and now he's the true villian.
>>
what's mra mean?
>>
>>13613712
magnetic resonance angiogram
>>
File: 1438934241548.png (947 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1438934241548.png
947 KB, 1280x720
>>13613631
>>>/co/
>>>/cgl/
>>>/lgbt/
>>>/soc/
>>>/adv/
>>>/r9k/
>>>/b/
>>>/fit/
>>>/fa/
>>>/v/

Not sure which you're from.

We have too many cancerous normalfag boards nowadays

>>13613712
Men's Rights Activist.

They're a bunch of crazy nutjobs who, get this, think we've taken the joke of patting women on the head and telling them they're equal a bit too far.

Sure, those delusions have been enshrined into law alongside various measures limiting male freedom and speech so that women never have to feel the slightest bit uncomfortable.

BUT how could our society EVER survive without inefficiency, less productive workplaces and depressed wages (thanks in part to women's aversion to negotiation)?

It's like those fuckers actually want us to be a prosperous society filled with proud, educated, (self) employed men who aren't driven to bankruptcy, suicide or welfare by a good ol' fashioned court-decided redistribution of ALL their wealth into the pockets of women who may never have worked a day in their lives.

If MRA's had their way then /pol/ would have nothing to complain about. It'd be a hellscape of sustainable patriarchy and intact communities. CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE THE HORROR?

It's only thanks to SJWs and their liberation of women that happy families like pic related only exist in our chinese children's cartoons from less enlightened countries.
>>
>>13613631
Get out.
>>
>>13613741
>>13613631
Samefag

Please fuck off and get run over by a car on your way back to reddit
>>
File: 1399315777625.png (631 KB, 801x837) Image search: [Google]
1399315777625.png
631 KB, 801x837
>>13613741
>If MRA's had their way then /pol/ would have nothing to complain about.
The idea is humorous, but I think /pol/ would still banter and complain about POO IN LOO, SWEDEN YES, atheists vs religion, Germoney refugees, muslims vs everyone, muslims in general, Canada IT'S 2015 guy, British Current Year Time Telling TV guy, King Obama's gun grabbing threats, Hernia Sanders, ISIS's amazing production quality and cinematography, western media's love/hate infatuation with Trump, ect.

Anyways
>common or overused mecha/scifi tropes you dislike?
Not enough animation budget, forcing most bad guy grunts to get one-shot and blowing up in an instant. It makes them look like they're made of tissue paper, not big armored robots, where even a sneeze would cause the machine to blow apart. I want some good lasting fights in my Chinese robot toy commercials.

>less common tropes you love to see when it does happen?
Working pistons, gears, turbines, motors and other internal or exposed mechanical details. I love seeing the gizmos that make the machines move and function. Especially if the sound design going with it is superb.
>>
>>13604998
I'm sick of floaty space combat. Gimme ground based stuff where environments matter.
>>
>>13613890
Environments can matter in space, it's just that the writers/animators are too lazy/over budget to make it happen most of the time.

I'd love to see a space battle begin and then the combatants suddenly have to deal with a storm of comets and meteors, have air leaks in the mecha be a serious threat, be affected by the gravity of a nearby planet or black hole and have to adjust for it, are in danger of overheating and electrical interference because they're too close to a star and any number of other things
>>
File: 1286831100599.jpg (105 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1286831100599.jpg
105 KB, 960x720
Main pilot/mechs being the only fucking thing that matter all across the story

Technologically consistent setting.
mechs not being more evolved than tank, gunship or spaceship
> inb4 there should be no mech then
it's been done before, we just need directors who aren't forced to cater to lonely boy with power fetish
>>
File: wjPUsdR.png (143 KB, 253x307) Image search: [Google]
wjPUsdR.png
143 KB, 253x307
Combined arms.

Planes being useful.
>>
>>13613927
Combined arms get my dick so fucking hard.
>>
Don't really have one that just irks me. I don't like the classic incompetent/asshole commanding officer, you always seem to get. Always feels like a complete waste of time, when you know damn well the show is going to punish them at some point.

I always want more space pirates, outlaws, bounty hunters, etc. I know they're not uncommon, but I always want more of those kinds of shows. More the better. Seems like you don't get a contestant flow of them now like you did in the 80's and 90's.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.