[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Using Silcon Putty to Replicate Parts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
After watching video in parenthesis (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knD3AND227c), I have these three questions:

1. How to make resin?

2. Can the putty be of any color?

3. Does the putty formation have to depend on the size of the part you want to replicate?
>>
It's possible, but you'd probably end up making two-part molds, which would be a pain in the ass for such tiny parts. It might be worth it to replace a critical piece on a beloved Gunpla, but you won't be able to duplicate an entire MG.

1. You buy it. Easy Cast is what I see in craft stores.

2. Yes, because the color of the resin (which can be tinted) determines the color of the final product, not the color of the putty.

3. I have no idea what this means.
>>
>>13583160
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Casting

The pdf in particular there will be handy.
>>
>>13583225

>>You buy it. Easy Cast is what I see in craft stores.

I get that, but the video I linked had the guy mix the resin with something.

>>Yes, because the color of the resin (which can be tinted) determines the color of the final product, not the color of the putty.

Thanks

>>I have no idea what this means.

Suppose you lost one of the foot pedals for a 1/20 Scale ATM-09-GC Brutishdog (Armored Trooper VOTOMS) kit, and you want to replicate it by using one foot pedal as the model. How should the putty be former before slamming the foot pedal into the putty?

>>13583228

Thanks
>>
isn't this related to the start of the second part of Otaku no Video?
>>
>>13583267

>>How should the putty be formed

Fixed
>>
>>13583267
>I get that, but the video I linked had the guy mix the resin with something.

The resin comes in two parts. You mix them together and after about a minute it quickly starts hardening, so you have to mix and pour it into the mold pretty quickly.
>>
>>13583267
>How should the putty be former before slamming the foot pedal into the putty?

It's just putty. Stick it in as soon as you've got the putty mixed up (It's an epoxy putty right?) and let it dry with the part in it. Possibly coat the part in something like baby powder first so that you can pull it out easier after the putty dries.
>>
>>13584098

>The resin comes in two parts.

What are the names of the two parts?
>>
>>13584656
You'll buy the resin as one package Smooth-On and Alumilite have different ones foe your needs. I believe both have a quick cast resin which will go from liquid to done in about 30 mins.

Anyway when you buy the resin it has two parts. Named compound A and B. Because casting resin is chemically made up differently than say the Polyester resin used in automotive repair and prop building, i don't think the average /m/an can isolate whats in each compound
>>
>>13584656
They come packed together like epoxy putty and glue do.
>>
OP, before you go jumping all willy nilly into the world of resin recasting, are you aware that resin dust from sanding and the fumes off the mix are toxic and have been proven to be a cause of cancer? Do you understand the safety precautions involved in working with resin?
>>
>>13585012
>>13585025

Thanks

>>13585033

Okay, if using resin leads to cancer, then what else do you suggest using for re-casting?
>>
>>13585080
Just get a good respirator (p100 preferably), gloves, and wetsand when you sand it, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>13585151

When do I sand the resin then?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.