[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /m/en. I've been wondering how to get into the Mazinger
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: GreatMazinger_Kaiser.jpg (52 KB, 639x350) Image search: [Google]
GreatMazinger_Kaiser.jpg
52 KB, 639x350
Sup /m/en. I've been wondering how to get into the Mazinger series. Is it the same kind of situation as Getter Robo where there's both an anime and a manga but the manga is the better option or is it okay to dive right into the anime? How did you start off? Which do you prefer if you've seen/read both?

Also Mazinger thread I suppose.
>>
File: 85ffee5267.jpg (113 KB, 1200x845) Image search: [Google]
85ffee5267.jpg
113 KB, 1200x845
>>13567065
Mazinger is the opposite of Getter in that regard, funny enough. The manga are pretty terrible compared to the anime, with the only possible exception being the toei anime, and that's entirely based off of personal taste. That being said, I would recommend starting either with the original manga while keeping in mind that it drops in quality around the end of the third volume or so, Shin Mazinger, or Mazinkaiser.
>>
>>13567107
I wouldn't go as far as calling the manga terrible. Sure, Nagai made it mostly to let off steam, but there's some pretty engaging stuff in it, most notably Lorelei.
>>13567065
Shin Mazinger and Mazinkaiser are both good, though in different ways - Shin is directed by Imagawa so expect lots of dramatic twists and on-foot martial arts action. Mazinkaiser is a classic super robot vs evil professor romp, though the movie is kinda dumb.
The Toei show's also worth a watch if you can spare the time, but unless you're Italian you won't be watching Great or any of the crossover movies.

Oh, and there's also SKL, which is pretty much a heavy metal album come to life. Basically the edgier bits of Violence Jack with a robot.
>>
>>13567065
Mazinger is less plot heavy and has a variety of style-faithful anime series, so the way to enjoy the series isn't so dependent on where you start.

I'd say the best ways to check out Mazinger would probably be like
Mazinkaiser (short, great animation and good mix of tv-manga mazinger)
Z/Great/Gren manga (fairly short and good, great isn't fully translated)
Shin Mazinger Z-hen (more serious version of the manga full of imagawa-isms)
Toei Mazin Z series (very different from the manga and z-hen, has 92 eps, fully translated in good quality)
>>
>>13567107
>Getter OVAs
>Terrible in comparison to the manga
Stop.
>>
The manga is basically a tie-in to the anime production, so consider Toei Z to be the "primary".
>>
>>13567392
You're right, they're terrible no matter which way you look at them.
>>
>>13567419
>talking shit about SvN
>>
File: 98405874.jpg (746 KB, 1445x2156) Image search: [Google]
98405874.jpg
746 KB, 1445x2156
>>13567401
The manga was developed before the TV series.
>>
>>13567531
And Musashi appeared in Toeigetter before the manga, they were obviously meant to be enjoyed together.
>>
File: Getter-Robo-Bible-036.png (696 KB, 1410x2042) Image search: [Google]
Getter-Robo-Bible-036.png
696 KB, 1410x2042
>>13567540
>And Musashi appeared in Toeigetter before the manga
No he didn't. This preview chapter for the manga predates the entire anime. Also the credits say concept by Nagai + Ishikawa and manga by Ishikawa. That'll probably trigger you too.
>>
>>13567298
The firt twenty or so episodes of Great are translated, and I think Dynamic Pro Scanlations has the first volume done (which also completes the original Mazinger story).
>>
>>13567392
You stop. They are, and I don't know how in the hell anyone with a functioning brain could think otherwise.
>>13567426
It's my favorite of them and quite enjoyable, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the manga.
>>13567781
>people who don't like everything DP related or talk about things directly related to it are spics
Sound logic there.
>>
>>13567392
Are you that one fag that dislikes manga Go?
>>
>>13567107
>The manga are pretty terrible compared to the anime,
>>
>>13568448
No, that's me and I still think the manga is preferable
>>
>>13569016
Tell me how are they better.
>>
>>13569016

Both are pretty terrible actually
>>
>>13567065
Don't bother and just scream about spics whenever you see a thread about it.

>>13567065
Yeah you would wanna get into Mazinger you dumb spic.
>>
>>13569199

Just shut up spic! Go back to Garada
>>
>>13569199
OP here.
You have hurt and insult me you fucking rude dude
>>
>>13569348

You're pathetic spic.
Pretending to be wanting to get into Mazinger so you can shitpost on your own thread.
>>
>>13569362
Damn dude. I'm getting blown the fuck out in my own thread.

Can you explain this spic meme to me? I've seen it a lot when some of Go Nagai's works are talked about and I'm not sure why. I just wanted a general discussion thread for Mazinger since I've heard it's the granddaddy of super mecha series and I want to get off on the right foot.
>>
>>13567298
>any of the crossover movies

Devilman vs Mazinger was translated.
>>
>>13567065
I saw the Toei anime and liked it. Currently reading the manga. From there you can join me in praying that Great Mazinger will be translated one day.
>>
>>13569422
Mazinger Z and other super robot shows were very popular in Mexico, and there's a good amount of people that don't like any of the newer iterations.

Because of this, whenever someone doesn't like a newer Mazinger or Getter series, /m/ responds with SPIC SPIC SPIC SPIC SPIC SPIC SPIC.
>>
>>13569509
>/m/ responds with SPIC SPIC SPIC SPIC SPIC SPIC SPIC.

No it's just one guy.
>>
>>13569537
Ok, we'll call him the "Anti-Spic"
>>
>>13569053
Manga
>simple, straightforward
>not too long, not too short
>likeable characters
>funny sketches
>cool designs here and there
>fuck yeah robots

Toeizinger
>simple, straightforward
>so fucking long holy shit
>awful characters
>sometimes funny but in the Always Sunny kind of way instead of the Loony Toons kinda way
>cool designs here and there
>fuck yeah robots

Mazinkaiser
>simple, straightforward
>too short
>likeable characters
>funny sketches
>cool designs, Mazinkaiser looks pretty cool for a robot who's design approach was "edgier Mazinger Z"
>fuck yeah robots

Shin Mazinger
>trying too hard to be complex and sophisticated, like Death Note or Code Geass
>better interpretations of classic characters than Toeizinger, but far too much focus on director's waifu
>good number of episodes but awful use of them
>only a few genuinely funny moments in the series and they're taken from the manga with the exception of the episode where Kouji crashes in Deutschland
>cool designs
>apparently there are robots in this one

>>13569174
You like Nagai or you don't.
>>
>>13569509

It has nothing to do with that...
>>
>>13569605
>sometimes funny but in the Always Sunny kind of way
I watch Always but I can't even imagine how Toeizinger can be anything like that.
>>
>>13569829
You laugh at the characters being awful people and having awful things happen to them.
>>
File: 1443911587126.png (325 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
1443911587126.png
325 KB, 624x480
>>13569605
>trying too hard to be complex and sophisticated, like Death Note or Code Geass
>but far too much focus on director's waifu
>>
>>13569486
they all are, just not very well
>>
>>13569864
Toonamibabby confirmed.
>>
Never have I seen so much shit taste in one thread.
>>
>>13570232

Shin never aired on Toonami. And yeah, the comparison with Death Note and Code Geass was just ridiculous.
>>
>>13570434
Pretending Code Geass and Death Note AREN'T trying too hard to be smart and complex is the definition of a Toonamibabby.
>>
>>13570449
>Anything with people throwing master plans at each other is automatically trying to be smart or complex
Death Note has zero depth to any of its themes and characters and clearly never tried to have any. Same with Shin Mazinger. CG was intentionally trying to be stupid by having half of almost everything that happens onscreen make no sense.

Focusing on plot is almost the antithesis of literary complexity because it allows no time to develop anything meaningful. It's just a series of events happening for flimsy, unexplored reasons.
>>
>>13570634
>>Anything with people throwing master plans at each other is automatically trying to be smart or complex
It is when literally 100% of the master plans are fueled by asspull after asspull.
>CG was intentionally trying to be stupid by having half of almost everything that happens onscreen make no sense.
Stick to A/Z
>Focusing on plot is almost the antithesis of literary complexity because it allows no time to develop anything meaningful. It's just a series of events happening for flimsy, unexplored reasons.
I hope you're in high school
>>
>>13570686
>no real counterarguments
>ad hominem
Well meme'd. Enjoy your degeneracy while I enjoy my superior taste.
>>
There's nothing trying to be complex on Shin Mazinger. It's very straighforward.
>>
>>13569605
>Awful characters

>Not loving Koji being an asshole to everyone
>Not being heartbroken for Baron Ashura, who tries so, so hard
>Not respecting Archduke Gorgon's honorable warrior heart.
>Boss

You're the worst.
>>
>>13570187
Devilman vs Mazinger seemed fine to me, at least.
>>
>>13568883
>it is fine to just watch the anime
No, it is not. I have the feeling you're the one moron who called all Getterfags edge lovers anyway though, so your opinion is already worthless. Recommending crabsticks when we actually have good subs now is even more telling.
>>13569605
>You like Nagai or you don't.
Except that's not even remotely how it works retard.
>>
>>13570364
The one guy who says the manga is nothing special and to watch the anime instead for both Mazinger and Getter has some particularly terrible taste
>>
>>13568883
>this bait
>again
>>13569016
Sorry that you can't even tell the difference between mediocre shit and terrible shit.
>>
>>13573306
>>13573278
>opinions make me angry!
Well rage'd, my friend!
>>
>>13573738
Obvious bait gets annoys me, not opinions.
>>
I've learned the truth behind The Spic. My report has been passed on. Until all the Mexican shitposters have been sent back to Garada... my quest cannot end!

Now I report. This is my last call for moderation.
>>
>>13575421

What's the truth? Because I'm quite a few nautical miles distant from Mexico. I have never been there, actually.
>>
>>13575421
What a baby.
>>
I star directly with the anime. Never need to read the manga.
>>
File: 1435509027684.jpg (67 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1435509027684.jpg
67 KB, 1024x768
>>13569605
>awful characters

Fuck you man Toeizinger was hilarious thanks to Koji's asshole shenanigans.
>>
Will DP threads ever be free of shitposting?
of course not
>>
>>13567065

You should just listen to the original OP theme about 1000x first

god it's so good
>>
File: 1449197040166.png (597 KB, 1009x666) Image search: [Google]
1449197040166.png
597 KB, 1009x666
I just want to say thank you to all the retarded Getterfags coming in and ruining this thread beyond repair. You guys really are the worst. At least you're good for a laugh at, if nothing else.
>>
>>13583280
All three or four of the English versions of the old OPs & EDs are godly. That motherfucker could SING
I have trouble finding a good quality version of the "He is our Iron maaaaan" one though.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.