[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bar/lbat/dos!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 45
File: barlbatdos.jpg (121 KB, 640x643) Image search: [Google]
barlbatdos.jpg
121 KB, 640x643
ASW-G-08 Gundam Barbatos
XBV-819-TR4 Bal-Bados

Barbatos
Bal-Bados

ba ru ba to su
ba ru ba do su

バルバトス
バルバドス

I have just realized that this weird Virtuaroid is, like IBO's Gundam, named after a high-level demon.

I've been surprised many times to learn the meanings behind seemingly nonsensical mecha names. It makes me wonder how many (or few) mecha names really are meaningless, as opposed to how many are references I don't know.

For example, I wonder what "Marasai" and "Gabthley" are references to?
>>
I'd like to know where all the names from 00 came from. I mean, I know Reborns is a pun on Ribbons, and the Thrones are 1, 2, and 3 in German.
>>
File: 10024022p.jpg (393 KB, 1200x781) Image search: [Google]
10024022p.jpg
393 KB, 1200x781
>>13567321
>Thrones are 1, 2, and 3 in German

Yeah, eins, zwei, and drei and german for 1, 2, and 3, and a "Throne" is a kind of rank for angels.

The other Gundams in 00 are varying levels of easy or difficult.

And Reborns... I guess it could be a play on ribbons, that's new on me, but its name also just, like, applies to "reborn"...

Meanwhile, I was amazed when I learned that the "Argama" -- which used to be romanized as "Ahgama" -- is probably derived from agama, which is a term for scriptures in Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism.
>>
>>13567321
Angels
>>
>>13567357
Zabanya, Cherudim, Dynames, Seravee, Nadleeh, Arios, Kyrios, Harute, Exia, etc. Those are all angles?
>>
>>13567321

Exia - from a Greek word for "authority"
Dynames - dunamis, Greek for "power"
Kyrios - kurios, Greek for "lord" or "master"
Nadleeh - Navajo word meaning "two-spirit"
Virtue - the Virtues, second-sphere angels in Christianity

Cherudim - Cherubim, first-sphere angels
Arios - Arioch, a Hebrew name
Seravee/Seraphim - Seraphim, first-sphere angels in Christianity
Throne - Thrones, first-sphere angels in Christianity
Arche - either Greek for "origin" or the German spelling of "Ark"

Zabanya - az-zabānīya, the 19 guardians of Hell in the Qur'an
Harute/Marute - Harut and Marut, angels in the Qur'an
Raphael - the Christian/Jewish archangel

That's just the ones that appear in the series proper. I think I got them all.
>>
>>13567410

While we're at it:

Astraea - the Greek goddess, Justice tarot card
Sadalsuud - a star in Aquarius, The Star tarot card
Abulhool - a phrase in Arabic: "Father of Fear" (the Sphinx), The Chariot tarot card
Plutone - Pluto, Judgment tarot card
Artemie - Artemis
Rasiel - the Jewish archangel
GRM - Garm, the Norse guard dog of Hel
>>
File: moon-pre.jpg (45 KB, 259x199) Image search: [Google]
moon-pre.jpg
45 KB, 259x199
>>13567368

I have a terrific book called "A Dictionary of Angels" (subtitled "including the fallen angels") by Gustav Davidson. SUPERB book, really fun. (Did you know there was an angel of abortion?) Anyway! Here's what it says...

"Zabanya"
In arabic lore, the Zabaniyah are a group of 19 angels serving Malik, who himself is an angel who guards hell.

"Cherudim"
The Cherubim are the second highest order of angels -- the "heavenly beasts." Very fearsome.

"Dynames"
In gnosticism, Dynamis is one of the seven great Aeons and the male embodiment of power. Also, Dynamis is ancient greek (latin?) for Powers, a rank of angel.

"Seravee"
I'm not sure of the Angelic meaning for this one but "Seravee" is, in katakana, the same as "Selavy," as in "Rrose Selavy..." which was Marcel Duchamps' name when he was in drag as a woman. Appropriate to the pilot, eh? Also worth noting is that the name Rose C'est La Vie (again, same as Selavy) was also the name of one of the Hakkeshu in Zeorymer (pic related) -- piloted by a gender-bent character.

"Nadleeh"
This is a Navajo (native American "indian") term for a hermaphrodite.

"Arios"
Arias is an angel who rules over sweet-smelling herbs... or a fallen angel who is now one of 12 rulers of hell. Orrrrrrr, there's Arioc, a guardian angel of Jewish patriarch Enoch's ancestors... and also a biblical executioner.

"Kyrios"
Could be a contraction of Kyriotates, the second of three ranks of angels according to some angelologists.

"Harute"
Harut was, in Islamic lore, an angel that taught humans about government. In Persian lore, Harut was one of two very high ranking angels who both fell in love with the same woman and became fallen angels.

"Exia"
Exael is mentioned in the super-awesome books of Enoch as being one of the great angels who taught humans the uses of gems, perfumes, crafting silver and gold, and fabricating engines of war.
>>
bump because this is very interesting
>>
>>13567486
Tell me more about this angel of abortions.
>>
>>13567486
Seravee is probably a corruption of the word seraphim.
>>
>>13567516
Maybe. But I think the Selavy connection holds weight.
>>
>>13567495
>Tell me more about this angel of abortions.

Well, first you gotta understand that very few angels are named in the actual bible. Only three, IIRC. Most angels come from other sources -- apocryphal sources, such as the Books of Enoch. Almost all angels are actually the deities of other religions/regions, appropriated and modified to fit into JudeoChristianity. This being the case, many of the named angels were eventually relabeled as "fallen" angels, because people weren't supposed to worship anyone/anything other than God/Christ.

Anyway! According to the First Book of Enoch, Kasdaye (or Kesdeya, or Kasdeya, or Kasdeja) was one of the seven leaders of the angels who rejected God and became fallen angels. Kasdaye teaches humans a variety of forbidden practices, including abortion. Apparently equated with Tamiel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamiel

The meaning of the name "Kasdaye" can be translated as "hidden power" or derived from "person from Chaldea" -- Chaldea eventually became a part of Babylonia.

The later volumes of Kazushi Hagiwara's "Bastard!!", combined with the 1995 Christopher Walken movie "The Prophecy", is what got me into studying angels. They're crazy!
>>
>>13567607
To be fair, it's probably both. The Japanese love love love multiple meanings.
>>
>>13567622

>Most angels come from other sources -- apocryphal sources, such as the Books of Enoch.

I assume the same holds for the Ars Goetia demons the IBO Gundams are named for, right? It's been a while since I've picked up a holy book of any sort, but I don't remember any other divine beings other than Satan being named and even then I'm not too sure if even he was given a name.
>>
File: hguc-messala-pa.jpg (105 KB, 616x395) Image search: [Google]
hguc-messala-pa.jpg
105 KB, 616x395
Messala:
"Masala" is the Hindi word for spices which are used in mixtures to flavor food. The "mixture" implication of "masala" is quite appropriate for the first transformable MS.
>>
I know Elmeth is is a corruption of Hermes. I remember there was another similar corruption from 0079 but I can't recall.
>>
Piani Kaluta. Mack Knife.
>>
File: 1289226392508.jpg (987 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1289226392508.jpg
987 KB, 1920x1200
Here's an easy one:

Kshatriya, named for the Hindu varna that contains warriors, rulers, leaders, etc. Its model number (NZ-666) needs no explanation.
>>
>>13567643
>Mack Knife
It's a song, here's the famous version
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8iPUK0AGRo
and the best version (in original German)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_27fCiKaZjw
>>
File: b4w5qs.jpg (231 KB, 625x1024) Image search: [Google]
b4w5qs.jpg
231 KB, 625x1024
>>13567631
>I assume the same holds for the Ars Goetia demons the IBO Gundams are named for, right?

Probably. Barbatos is indeed in the book -- listed as once being an angel of the Virtues order, now a duke of hell who rules over 30 legions, and can understand birdsong, and knows the past, and can see the future.

What are the other Gundam names in IBO? I'm too lazy to check.

>I don't remember any other divine beings other than Satan being named and even then I'm not too sure if even he was given a name.

Satan actually is not named in the bible. People think the bible says his name is Lucifer, but that's a misreading of the text. In Hebrew lore, Satan was not an individual at all, but was actually a job -- The Satan was the accuser, appointed by God as a kind of holy prosecutor.

The three named angels in are Michael and Gabriel (in the Bible) and Raphael (in the book of Tobit).

Lucifer ("lightgiver") is erroneously equated with the fallen angel "Satan" due to a misreading of Isaiah 14:12: "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning" -- a behind-his-back characterization of king Nebchadnezzar. The name "Lucifer" was applied directly to Satan himself by St. Jerome in the 4th/5th century.
>>
File: mg-qubeley-box-art.jpg (183 KB, 500x640) Image search: [Google]
mg-qubeley-box-art.jpg
183 KB, 500x640
>>13567640
>I know Elmeth is is a corruption of Hermes. I remember there was another similar corruption from 0079 but I can't recall.

Indeed. And "Qubeley" is corruption of "Cybele," another Greek deity.
>>
File: 3352856-uriel.jpg (80 KB, 400x629) Image search: [Google]
3352856-uriel.jpg
80 KB, 400x629
>>13567672
>The three named angels in are Michael and Gabriel (in the Bible) and Raphael (in the book of Tobit).

Originally they were part of a "big four," with the fourth being Uriel. The church eventually declared him a fallen angel because he was too violent. Pic related and >>13567672 are both forms of Uriel as he appeared in Bastard!!
>>
can someone explain the names of the Fafners? Those seem wierd as hell. I know some of them have meanings in other languages but I don't know what they are
>>
>>13567697
German numbers and concepts.
>>
>>13567679
That's the one I was thinking of. Probably why I couldn't remember it since I was going through the list of 0079 units in my head instead of Zeta units.
>>
>>13567694
That sounds interesting, What did Uriel do?
>>
>>13567697
>Fafners?

In Norse mythology, Fafnir (or "Fafner") was a son of the dwarf king Hreidmar. After being affected by the curse of Andvari's ring and gold, Fafnir became a dragon and was slain by Sigurd.

(Yes, Lord of the Rings is derived from real Norse myths.)

Mark Elf = Mark Eleven ("Elf" is German for eleven)

What are the names of the others?
>>
>>13567712
Well this is interesting,I should have checked this eaelier because it ties heavily into the show but in german

Mk.Sein means "to be" this ties in to Fafners themes about existence

And Mk.Nicht means "not" which is symbolic of the fact that Nicht is a "child born of nothingness" and has been trying to consume/assimilate Soushi into itself
>>
>>13567712
I know Elfish is derived from Finnish.
>>
>>13567672

>What are the other Gundam names in IBO? I'm too lazy to check.

So far? Gusion and Kimaris.
>>
>>13567268
I'll go ahead and get the easymodo one (most) everyone knows out of the way:

"Zaku" is a combination of two words, "zako" and "saku". "Saku" (usually "saku saku") is onomatopoeia for the crunching sound of soldiers marching in sand or snow, which has the connotation of "a shit job". "Zako" means "inferior fish" and is the japanese equivalent to "small fry".

Kind of like if GM's had been called "G-Runts".
>>
>>13567672

>The name "Lucifer" was applied directly to Satan himself by St. Jerome in the 4th/5th century.

I heard a story once that Lucifer was the name of a priest/holy man another priest/holy man disliked and he applied the name to Satan and wrote that "how art thou fallen" thing out of spite. I may be getting my details wrong or confusing it for that misreading, though.
>>
File: fallenurielaugoeidesrk3.jpg (135 KB, 800x499) Image search: [Google]
fallenurielaugoeidesrk3.jpg
135 KB, 800x499
>>13567711
>That sounds interesting, What did Uriel do?

Oh man. Well, Uriel's name means "Fire of God". Some say he's the angel that weilded the flaming sword that blocked re-entry to the garden of Eden. Some say he was the angel who wrestled with Jacob at Peniel. Some say he taught humans alchemy. Some say he's the angel of vengeance, who destroyed the 185,000-strong Assyrian army when they tried to conquer Jerusalem. According to the books of Enoch, Uriel "watches over thunder and terror"(!)

Like Thomas Daggett said in "The Prophecy":

>Did you ever notice how in the Bible, whenever God needed to punish someone, or make an example, or whenever God needed a killing, he sent an angel? Did you ever wonder what a creature like that must be like? A whole existence spent praising your God, but always with one wing dipped in blood... Would you ever really want to SEE an angel?
>>
Wasn't Phenex also mentioned in the Ars Goetia?
inb4 the IBO is also UC
>>
>>13567812
Phenex Gundam, Gundam Phenex, Phoenix Gundam and Fenice fourway fight when
>>
>>13567802
>Would you ever really want to SEE an angel?
The common image of robed and winged feminine figures comes from Zoroastrianism. If you actually read the descriptions of the old testament angels they're pretty horrific, and most of the time an angel appears it is immediately explaining that they don't need to be afraid and it's not there to kill them because they're usually abominations with twenty different animal heads or some colossal abstract shape. I found the Angels in NGE very refreshing for taking note of the utterly nonhuman appearance of angels in scripture.
>>
>>13567812

Phenex is one of the 72, yes.

Phenex is a Great Marquis of Hell, in control of 20 legions, and is a scientist and poet. He is, fittingly enough, depicted as the mythological phoenix. He believes that he will return to Heaven after 1,200 years but that's a lie.
>>
>>13567776
>Gusion and Kimaris.

Gusion is not mentioned in Davidson's dictionary of angels, but a quick Googling of "Gusion -Gundam" got me this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gusion

"In demonology, Gusion is a strong Great Duke of Hell, and rules over forty (forty-five according to other authors) legions of demons. He tells all past, present and future things, shows the meaning of all questions that are asked to him, reconciles friends, and gives honour and dignity. He is depicted as a baboon or according to some, in the form of a Cynocephalus (Dog Headed). Other spellings: Gusayn, Gusoin, Gusoyn. He is mentioned in The Lesser Key of Solomon."

Same goes for Kimaris: not mentioned by Davidson, but according to Wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimaris

"Kimaris, also known by the alternate names Cimeies, Cimejes and Cimeries, is most widely known as the 66th demon of the first part of the Lemegeton (popularly known as the Ars Goetia)."

So they're sourcing from more strictly demonological works, such as those categorized by Aleister Crowley and folks like that.
>>
>>13567787
>Kind of like if GM's had been called "G-Runts".

Also, GM is pronounced "Jim" to evoke the same vibe as "Jeep" being derived from "GP" (that is, General Purpose).
>>
>>13567825
>Phenex is one of the 72, yes.
And the animated short that Unicorn Phenex is featured in is called "One of Seventy Two"
>>
Zaku is actually supposed to be Zack right?
>>
>>13567832
>"GP" (that is, General Purpose).
That part isn't actually accurate. The model number did start with GP, but the G is for "Government Use" and the P indicated its wheelbase. Common misconception.
>>
>>13567832
Takahashi stated that his inspiration for the Armored Trooper was from seeing all the American Jeeps in postwar Japan.
>>
>>13567840
Not really. Sort of. "Zack" is pronounced just like "Zaku" because the japanese don't like ending words with a hard consonant, but the name is wordplay for "small fry with a shitty job". It's supposed to be pronounced "Zaku", it's just that "Zack" is also said the same way.
>>
>>13567824
>most of the time an angel appears it is immediately explaining that they don't need to be afraid and it's not there to kill them because they're usually abominations

EXACTLY. In Davidson's book he says that some early Muslim writings describe Michael as having wings the color of green emerald, and being covered with saffron hairs, each of them containing a million faces and mouths and as many tongues which, in a million dialects, implore the pardons of Allah." A million faces on EVERY hair on his body, all singing the praise of God... Seeing and hearing such an impossibly alien, deafening monstrosity would drive anyone insane, I should think.
>>
>>13567843

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. But they were still identified as GP, and that became "Jeep", right?
>>
>>13567833

Fascinating. I figured it was just a modification of Phoenix -- didn't know the demonological connection.

Goddamnit, but anime/manga creators are well read!
>>
>>13567876
How about that angels that's just rings orbiting each other with a bunch of eyes?
>>
>>13567802
>Would you ever really want to SEE an angel?
One of the first things they say when they appear to people is "Don't be afraid". There's a good reason for that.

Or what >>13567824 said.
>>
>>13567883
Yes, that part is right. Supposedly nicknamed after Popeye's alien pet "Jeep" who could walk anywhere (up walls, on the ceiling, etc) because of its all terrain capability.
>>
>>13567516
Nah, there's actually a Seraphim Gundam
>>
>>13567934
And Seraphim is a sub unit of Seravee.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
57 KB, 1280x720
A Bao A Qu is a supposed Malay legendary creature described in Jorge Luis Borges's 1967 Book of Imaginary Beings. Borges claimed to have found it either in an introduction to the Arabian Nights by Richard Francis Burton, or in the book On Malay Witchcraft (1937) by C.C. Iturvuru.

In Borges's story, the A Bao A Qu lives on the steps of the Tower of Victory in Chitor, from the top of which one can see "the loveliest landscape in the world". The A Bao A Qu waits on the first step for a man brave enough to try to climb up. Until that point, it lies sleeping, shapeless and translucent, until someone passes. Then, when a man starts climbing, the creature wakes, and follows close behind. As it progresses further and further up, it begins to become clearer and more colorful. It gives off a blue light which increases as it ascends. But it only reaches perfection when the climber reaches the top, and achieves Nirvana, so his acts don't cast any shadows. But almost all the time, the climber cannot reach the top, for they are not perfect. When the A Bao A Qu realizes this, it hangs back, losing color and visibility, and tumbles back down the staircase until it reaches the bottom, once more dormant and shapeless. In doing so, it gives a small cry, so soft that it sounds similar to the rustling of silk. When touched, it feels like the fuzz on the skin of a peach. Only once in its everlasting life has the A Bao A Qu reached its destination at the top of the tower.
>>
File: Winds_of_jaburo_12.jpg (161 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Winds_of_jaburo_12.jpg
161 KB, 640x480
"Jaburo" is a modification of the word "Diablo."
>>
File: 20121116173549-33930.jpg (52 KB, 450x290) Image search: [Google]
20121116173549-33930.jpg
52 KB, 450x290
Apsarus was a Roman fortress near the black sea.
>>
File: Pmx-001-weapons.jpg (41 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Pmx-001-weapons.jpg
41 KB, 400x400
Palace Athene is clearly supposed to be Pallas Athena.
Pallas was one of Athena's childhood friend's. According to myth, Athena kills her out of either rage or accident and out of repect, Athena takes Pallas' name as one of her own.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athena#Pallas_Athena

Maybe Reccoa's MS has this name because she is a female warrior that's betrayed her old friends?
>>
File: pmx-003.jpg (59 KB, 303x400) Image search: [Google]
pmx-003.jpg
59 KB, 303x400
I suspect that "The O" -- "Ji-o" or "zeo" -- is a roundabout reference to Zeon, just as the Zeong was.
>>
File: BolinoakSammahn.jpg (60 KB, 600x559) Image search: [Google]
BolinoakSammahn.jpg
60 KB, 600x559
>>13568195

Indeed.

So we've got PMX-000, PMX-001, and PMX-003 covered, but...

WTF is Bolinoak Sammahn supposed to be?!?
>>
>>13568200
Wasn't that supposed to be "Ojii-san" because it has a big belly like an old-fart?
>>
>>13568222

Interesting theory, that hadn't occurred to me.
>>
>>13567824
This. Actually because of their biblical depictions, etc... I really enjoyed Bayonetta's visual take.
>>
>>13567890
The "burning wheel within a wheel" was a Throne, wasn't it?

Definitely makes you wonder 1. why would someone make up something so outlandish and 2. why would they associate it with the concept of "god"
>>
File: 010_e.jpg (301 KB, 1170x846) Image search: [Google]
010_e.jpg
301 KB, 1170x846
>>13568494

Wow, I didn't know the Bayonetta game featured angel-monsters, but now that I've googled them I'm glad I did. Great stuff!
>>
File: Ancient-aliens-guy_(1).jpg (188 KB, 1280x1120) Image search: [Google]
Ancient-aliens-guy_(1).jpg
188 KB, 1280x1120
>>13568515
>Definitely makes you wonder 1. why would someone make up something so outlandish and 2. why would they associate it with the concept of "god"
>>
>>13568515
>Definitely makes you wonder 1. why would someone make up something so outlandish and 2. why would they associate it with the concept of "god"
I'll go with they didn't and such an angel actually exists.
>>
>>13568516
>Jacob was crazy enough to wrestle one of these for 24 hours just so he could get a blessing
>>
>>13567802
Hey, I didn't know that Elias Koteas was in that movie.
>>
Is there a database for this kind of information?
So I can mine it for ideas?
>>
>>13568690
>this kind of information

Can you be more specific?
>>
>>13568195
>According to myth, Athena kills her out of either rage or accident

>Emma dies in an accident

Such foretelling
>>
>>13568516
>all those awesome angel designs from Bayo 1
>all those awesome angel designs from Bayo 2 that were actually just leftovers from from Bayo 1's concepts

>demon designs in Bayo 2
>uh... here's a giant manta ray, I guess
>this guy has a spikey gem head
>everything in Hell is purple
>>
File: temjin4.png (244 KB, 602x318) Image search: [Google]
temjin4.png
244 KB, 602x318
Temjin

Temujin was the birth name of Genghis Khan
>>
>>13568713
That's a weird person to name the "hero" robot after.
>>
>>13567321
>>13567410
>>13567454
>>13567486
If only they could come up with even more names for more suits

"Irkalla"
Alternate name for Ereshkigal, the Sumerian goddess of the underworld, as well as the name for said underworld

"Laran"
Etruscan god of war

"Mania"
One of the Etruscan rulers of the underworld, along with Mantus

"Nortia"
Etruscan goddess of time, fate, and destiny
>>
>>13568690
Ideas for what?
>>
>>13568695
>>13568921
I think he means information about mythological entities and stuff.
>>
>>13567712
All the main Fafner names are just German numbering. Mark Elf (11) is the very first one in episode 1 of the original, but the rest get introduced along the way, Einz (1) through Dreizehn (11). Island Fafners stopped numbering there, with the three latest ones being modified Elf (11), Sechs (6), and Funf (5).

The NUN are more biblical. Three types with variants in each. Thrones (Raphael and Sandalphon), Dominions (Gabriel), and Powers (Ariel).

The newest named one is Mk. Raison, presumably from "raison d'etre".
>>
>>13568936
>>13568690
Read Borges' Book of Imaginary Beings. That's a great place to start.
>>
>>13568713
>>13568716

Name, "Temjin" is Japanese for "heavenly being."
>>
>>13568690
>Is there a database for this kind of information?
>>13568695
>Can you be more specific?
>>13568921
>Ideas for what?
>>13568936
>I think he means information about mythological entities and stuff.
>>13568999
>Read Borges' Book of Imaginary Beings. That's a great place to start.

Very true. Also good is Richard Carlyon's "A Guide to the Gods," which lists every god from every pantheon of every country and civilization on Earth, throughout history.

It's where I got the name for the Volos from.

http://grebo-guru.deviantart.com/art/VT-M1A1-Volos-320355974
>>
>>13568999
>>13569134
It's always cool to get to know these kind of references. I hate when I look for a mythology book and it only has greek shit that isn't even detailed.
>>
File: ATHENA_[Saint_Seiya].jpg (2 MB, 1572x2211) Image search: [Google]
ATHENA_[Saint_Seiya].jpg
2 MB, 1572x2211
>>13568195
>Pallas Athene

Athena is my favorite member of the greek pantheon. Goddess of technology, baby!
>>
>>13568591
Preacher did a whole sermon on just that today now I see it on /m funny how that works

>>13568522
But first he mentioned Jacob seeing the angels camp and the ladder to heaven. Which brought up the question instantly what does GOD need with a orbital elevator?
>>
File: religion.jpg (62 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
religion.jpg
62 KB, 750x600
>>13569341
>what does GOD need with a orbital elevator?
>>
>>13569452
And Star Trek V is exactly the reason that came to my mind instantly as soon as he said that part
>>
File: Man-Machine Brofist.jpg (4 KB, 273x185) Image search: [Google]
Man-Machine Brofist.jpg
4 KB, 273x185
>>13569511
>>
>>13568200
I always thought it was meant to be "Geo".
>>
>>13568200
Are you sure its not supposed to be called that because Sirocc-O?
>>
File: 1366002965604.jpg (33 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1366002965604.jpg
33 KB, 576x432
I like this thread, this is a good thread.
>>
>>13568200
Isn't it a bastardization of theo, like in theology?
>>
File: Mandala_gundam.jpg (40 KB, 276x400) Image search: [Google]
Mandala_gundam.jpg
40 KB, 276x400
Mandala is Sanskrit for a spiritual representation of the universe in several Indian religions. It kind of makes sense considering the Gundam is made up of Buddhist symbolism (prayer beads, the headgear, the staff, etc.) and is from Nepal (NE of India).

Its Western name, Mandor, doesn't make any sense though, unless it was just an error on the toy packaging.
>>
>>13570760
PG when?
>>
Gellgoog is based on Gog and Magog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gog_and_Magog
>>
About Paptimus' mobile suit...
In G Gen they have a female suit in the PMX series, the Titania. Going by Shakespeare, I think Midsummer Night's Dream, there was a fairy queen named Titania. Her consort was named Oberon. Of course they probably picked up on this after the fact since Titania is noncanon but it's nice to see that conmection.
>>
File: 1436379607503.jpg (888 KB, 1275x2519) Image search: [Google]
1436379607503.jpg
888 KB, 1275x2519
All of the Valvrave units have fire-themed names
Unit 1 Hito - Man of Fire
Unit 2 Tekka - Fire Iron
Unit 2 Kagerou - Heat Haze
Unit 2 Kaen - Blaze
Unit 3 Hikaminari - Fire Lightning
Unit 4 Hinowa - Wheel of Fire
Unit 5 Hiuchiba - Fire-Shooting Wings (I still have no idea how to translate this in a way that would make sense)
Unit 6 Hiasobi - Playing with Fire
Unit 7 Kakaiju - Mantra for the Fire World
>>
>>13570760
I want to see someone turn this into a proper dress
>>
File: ValvadosFront.png (2 MB, 1204x1324) Image search: [Google]
ValvadosFront.png
2 MB, 1204x1324
>Forgetting the actual other Gundam universe Barbatos
>>
>>13570785
>Gellgoog is based on Gog and Magog

I'm gonna need a source on this one, because I ain't seeing "gog" and "magog" mapping very easily to "ge-ru-gu-gu."
>>
>>13570952
>Titania

Well, also Paptimus was in search of a kind of Newtype Queen, and the PMX-004 was supposed to be for her. So the name is even more relevant.
>>
>>13571282

Gotta admit I totally missed this one!
>>
>>13571077
>all Valvraves are fire Valvraves

I had no idea. Thanks for the tip! Screw the haters, I liked Valvrave -- particularly the mecha. Cool as hell.
>>
It's interesting that all the Gundams in 0083 are all named after flowers like
GP-01 is Zephyranthes which is a tropical flowering plant and the from Greek of wind and flower with long slender stalks.
GP-02 is Physalis which is a sub-tropical flowering plant that is covered in a thick husk and comes from the Greek word for bladder.
GP-03 is Dendrobium which is an orchid found throughout Asia coming from the Greek word to mean one who lives on trees while stamen is the reproductive part of a flower while the moblie armor platform is known as Dendrobium Orchis which is another genus of the orchid family which in Greek means testicle.
>>
>>13571393
>Screw the haters, I liked Valvrave
This is your first day here on /m/, right?
>>
>>13571617
are you trying to revive the ancient tradition of Valvraging?
>>
>>13571622
No, I just said that because that anon implied there were more than one people shitting on Valvrave.
>>
Virgo, Taurus, Cancer, Tallgeese, Leo etc are Zodiac signs
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (151 KB, 689x1000) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
151 KB, 689x1000
>>13571345
>Not Gogg
>>
>>13569341
>>13569452
someone should rewrite the bible and replace all the magical sounding stuff with sci-fi technology.
I wonder how that would turn out
>>
>>13571638
There are. Valvrape fucking sucked.
>>
>>13571718
Don't you have an IBO thread to be shitting up?
>>
File: The dead are already safe.jpg (2 KB, 75x125) Image search: [Google]
The dead are already safe.jpg
2 KB, 75x125
>>13571734
>Anyone with opinions other then mine should be forced out of discussions
Whatever that you like bad things isn't the point of this thread anyway.
>>
>>13571745
you what
>>
File: 17-RQnF9.png (312 KB, 545x545) Image search: [Google]
17-RQnF9.png
312 KB, 545x545
>>13567486

I bet that book has a lot to say about Xenogears
>>
>>13571704
I'd honestly be surprised if someone hasn't already done that.
>>
>>13571562
It would be a nice idea to check on the flower meaning thing to see if it's realated to the Gundams.
>>
>>13571753
A lot of Xenogears naming and plot elements were based on Zoroastrianism, wasn't it?

And was supposed to have 3 more chapters, but it died after Also Sprach Zarathustra.
>>
File: genesis.jpg (31 KB, 480x323) Image search: [Google]
genesis.jpg
31 KB, 480x323
>>13571704
Well we already got the first chapter of it done way back in the 90's
>>
File: img_lafressia.jpg (162 KB, 780x769) Image search: [Google]
img_lafressia.jpg
162 KB, 780x769
>>13571562

Tomino is rather well-known for being fond of flowers. The raflessia is a big, nasty, rotten-meat-smelling carnivorous flower, and the final mobile armor from F91 is named after it.
>>
>>13567633

I thought it was a reference to Ben Hur and Messala being the bad guy using a chariot against Ben Hur.
>>
File: Messala.jpg (34 KB, 305x357) Image search: [Google]
Messala.jpg
34 KB, 305x357
>>13572131

Oh! There's a reference I didn't get. Thanks! I've never seen Ben Hur. Shame on me.
>>
File: ZM-S27G_Domuttlia.png (103 KB, 331x535) Image search: [Google]
ZM-S27G_Domuttlia.png
103 KB, 331x535
The Zanscare mobile suits with squinty eyes are probably reference to...
>>
>>13572140

Nah yours is probably the most accurate one, after all Ben Hur uses a lot of mythical names from other sources.
For example the horses Ben Hur himself uses during the race are named after stars, with Aldebaran, Rigel, Altair and Antares.
>>
File: Dogu_Miyagi_1000_BCE_400_BCE.jpg (1 MB, 1676x2718) Image search: [Google]
Dogu_Miyagi_1000_BCE_400_BCE.jpg
1 MB, 1676x2718
>>13572157
Humanoid clay figurines from Jomon era Japan called Dogu.
>>
>>13572140

Ben Hur is a great movie however and you should see it, it's a pretty good christian movie with awesome production values and a race that is still thrilling and exciting to this day.
>>
>>13572166
>it's a pretty good christian movie
Dropped.
>>
>>13572444
Ben Hurr is from 1959 its a good old movie not that shit on a stick they try and pass off as Christian movie now a days
>>
>>13572164
Do you think Ippei's designs are influenced by these? A lot of G-reco's suits seemed to have connections to Asian religeons
>>
>>13572444

It deals with themes of sin, slavery, mercy, glory and forgiveness.
It's as Christian as it gets in themes, but it develops very well.
>>
>>13572462
yeah, back when "Christian Movie" meant "a big high budget epic of spectacle stuff from the bible"
>>
>>13567321
>I know Reborns is a pun on Ribbons
Wrong. Reborns is a satire and nod to the seiyuu connection with Furuya being Amuro's voice actor, hence Ribbons gets Reborn Gundam and Amuro had Nu Gundam.

And Celestial Beings Gundams were all based off of angels.
>>
File: 31712dogoon513122249lo.jpg (249 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
31712dogoon513122249lo.jpg
249 KB, 1024x680
>>13572164
>>
>>13571956
Zephyranthes - the west wind, expectation, fond caress

Physalis - no particular symbolism, but used in Buddhist customs

Dendrobium - beauty, elegance, refinement

Gerbera - innocense, purity, cheerfulness

I don't think they meant anything by it.
>>
I wonder, do the IBO Gundams fit any sort of depiction of their namesakes? The Barbatos at least seems to evoke the image of a stereotypical demon/devil, what with the huge horns and cloven-looking feet, but I'm not sure if that was intentional.
>>
File: manrodi.png (112 KB, 300x337) Image search: [Google]
manrodi.png
112 KB, 300x337
>>13573500
The Man Rodi has a man rod.
>>
>>13573500
The demonic look of the Barbatos is definitely on purpose.

The others are a bit looser.
>>
>>13572903
Okay, so the pun was unintentional? A happy coincidence?
>>
File: file.png (110 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
file.png
110 KB, 320x320
>>13572164
Digimon got me into finding the name meanings of things like this thread. Although I didn't know half of what was posted here. Gundam names always seemed so bizarre and I couldn't tell what was Engrish and what wasn't.
>>
File: images.jpg (15 KB, 178x240) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15 KB, 178x240
Garibaldi, the general that unified Italy.
Thanks for putting Ls where they don't belong, Japan.
>>
File: file.png (447 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
file.png
447 KB, 360x480
>>13567824
Digifag here again. Digimon has interesting takes on biblical demons and angels too. Ofanimon is based on the gigantic flying wheel with shitloads of eyes. They take a more traditional angelic route with her, but her colour is derived from its description and she has wheels for shoulders.

I think the animals on her armour are a reference to something but I can't remember what.
>>
File: file.png (610 KB, 500x664) Image search: [Google]
file.png
610 KB, 500x664
>>13571704
>someone should rewrite the bible and replace all the magical sounding stuff with sci-fi technology.
>I wonder how that would turn out

The original Battlestar Galactica is just a retelling of Mormon faith. This is where a lot of the religious ideas from the remake come from, but they add stuff like Greek religion too. God wasn't supposed to be a literal god in the finale. It's implied to be someone with technology that makes them look like a god. Like the Beings of Light in the original series, and there were even subtle visual nods to those guys. That story arc in the original had an alien called Iblis even. Lucifer was another robot in that series. We probably would have found out more about it if the spinoffs didn't fail so hard.
>>
File: file.png (2 MB, 813x1185) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 813x1185
>>13568515
>>13576557

Ofanimon Falldown Mode takes the burning description of the Ofanim to heart, but she's also inspired by Asmodeus. Asmodeus is also the demon that inspired Lilithmon who is an evil version of Ofanimon too.
>>
File: file.png (99 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
file.png
99 KB, 320x320
>>13576572
>>13576557
Digimon also has the other two thrones.

Also if Ofanimon is too boring for you compared to the classic descriptions of angels there is always this guy who is a gigantic flying depiction of the Jewish Sephirot with eyes and cock sucking lips. It's even creepier to fans of Digimon because he has Culumon and Tailmon/Angewomon's symbols on his body. Those guys are so cute and holy; the complete opposite of this thing.
>>
>>13575664
Nu = New
Reborn = Rebirth

That was the connection
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.