[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you hide your power level in public? Pic related, i'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 20151126_095853_001_01.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151126_095853_001_01.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Do you hide your power level in public?
Pic related, i'm at work on an ambulance and my driver is building a gundam model.

Also post models.
>>
Hiding your power level these is so old-fashioned and coward shit these days. Like it's still the early-mid 00s, for fuck's sake. Anime is more ubiquitous these days, Crunchyroll is one of top 10 streaming sites in America, and then there's Netflix's efforts. Your little secret isn't a secret anymore.

Even so, /m/ stuff is on a lower level of conspicuousness than your average anime and is generally looks cooler so there will probably be a lot of people here who are proud to have their Gunpla and figures and other merch out and wear /m/ related shit.

I have a Mazinger shirt, myself.

>Fenice
Your driver's got taste.
>>
Unfortunately , I have no merchandise that need to stay hidden so it dosen't reveals my power level.
>>
To some extent. I work at a cabinet shop and keep a model of the Arcadia on my desk. A bunch of the guys at work use it as a conversation started about Star Trek, Star Wars, and other sci fi stuff that is popular in the west. That being said, if I were to talk about gundam or the like with anyone but the IT guy I would mostly get blank stares and a comment about watching cartoons at my age.
>>
What's the point? I don't find robot anime embarrassing enough to hide from everybody and I don't watch moeshit
If someone brings it up, I'll talk about it, but I won't go around shouting NO ZAKU BOY
>>
>>13552970
>bring banana lockseed to campus
>everyone plays the fuck out of it

i don't need power level on this stage
>>
I tell people I build plastic models when asked about my hobbies, and when they ask me what kind I say "planes, tanks, gundams."

It's not something I hide but I also don't wear a Zeon shirt or whatever.
>>
I watch mecha stuff at the cafe sometimes when I take a break from working and writing. I sometimes catch people trying to watch the action scenes.
>>13553101
> won't go around shouting NO ZAKU BOY
I'd probably get shot if I said "boy" out loud to anyone.
>>
>>13553107
>I tell people I build plastic models when asked about my hobbies, and when they ask me what kind I say "planes, tanks, gundams."

About the same for me.

I'm a lecturer so it would be kinda weird if I brought these things up in work being classes and all. And for some reason I think that would undermine the respect from students, but that's just me.

Don't have any problems with my hobbies (I'm actually a bit over it already). but I'm still trying to find the best way to introduce the girl I'm dating to my collection. She knows I've got models, but not as many as I have, and we never talked too much about it.
>>
>>13552970

My old manager used to play SRW themes while working. I was the only one in the office who recognized it.
>>
>>13552970

I don't hide it but I also don't flaunt it either. I treat it like a normal hobby and will happily explain shit to people but won't really bring it up if they clearly have no internet
>>
>>13553107

most of the LCSs and Hobby stores in my city sell Gunpla
>>
>>13553126
You should have tried to become bros with him
>>
File: 1426574814499.jpg (134 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1426574814499.jpg
134 KB, 1280x720
>>13552970
My friends and workmates know I'm into Mecha.

Only my girlfriend knows I'm into Super Sentai and Kamen Rider though.
>>
>>13553149

Oh I did, he got me into Gundam. Then he got transferred to the other end of the city.
>>
>>13552970
I don't really have a way to express my powerlevel, mainly because I'm a poorfag and can't afford to buy flashy merch and things to wear in public. I won't deny I watch anime though. I'll try and find others who do and discuss it with them, outloud, in public. An example being at the intro week at my university, I was put in this group with this definitely non-normie looking guy. He said before he did this course, he studied Japanese somewhere else. That immediately rang some a few alarm bells. So after a bit, I started pressing him.
>Why did you learn Japanese?
>I like the culture I guess
>What aspects of it?
>Oh, things like movies and stuff
>What about anime or manga?
>Yeah that too
>Do you watch a lot of anime?
>Yeah, I suppose so
>So do I.
Then we started talking about seasonal shows and it was me basically trying to gauge his powerlevel (I rarely meet anyone where I live who can beat mine, and he didn't).
I asked him about mecha, but he's one of those people who think "Oh, mecha is too hotblooded and over the top for me", and I tried to recommend him VOTOMS to prove otherwise. He hasn't watched it yet. I can talk to him about any other kind of anime though, since he's relatively well-watched and reads a lot of LNs. Usually it's just me and him in between lectures talking about stuff, but our conversations usually consists of me criticising a show and drawing parallels to a different show he hasn't seen, so then I have to try and go through similar shows until it's something he has seen.

So I definitely don't hide my powerlevel, I just don't reveal it needlessly.
>>
>>13553266
>THE NOSE KNOWS
/pol/ please
>>13553311
Powerful digits for a powerful /m/an
>>
File: 1447969845842.jpg (83 KB, 1024x717) Image search: [Google]
1447969845842.jpg
83 KB, 1024x717
>thankfully have other hobbies that I am into so I can socialize easily with a few co-workers (sports is a fucking easy broad blanket topic)
>brought a girl home on night and she saw my room and just started laughing, quickly saying "How anime.."
>she then wanted to hang out with me the day Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked came out but all I wanted to do was play the game
>only one of my co-workers knows I am heavily into anime and building gunpla, only because he's pretty balls deep into anime himself
>it's a secret we only keep to ourselves

Being in your mid-20's is weird.
>>
I don't need to hide my power level.

My family doesn't care.
My friends have their own power levels.
Girlfriend thinks it's cute and enjoys watching mecha shows/movies with me, even if she doesn't "get" it.
>>
>>13552970
I prefer to hide mine. Society may be more aware now, but that's not necessarily a good thing. It just means people can more accurately apply negative stereotypes to various fandoms.

Regardless, I still don't go Full Benedict when someone flaunts theirs. There's still a pretty thick line between being a closet autist and a complete hypocrite.
>>
>>13552970

I treat it like any other conversation topic in that if it doesn't get mentioned, I don't purposely steer it there. No anime shirts either since I just don't like gaudy colors and designs, most of my stuff is simple. I wouldn't mind wearing stuff like that Feddie uniform jacket, although I've yet to actually take the plunge to buy one.

My model kits/RDs/the two Figmas I have of movie Fate and classic Vita are in a glass cabinet beside my table and that's all I have for show. Most of my stuff are in the form of comics and infobooks, a good part of them old stuff I got from my cousin. I have some older model kits/RDs in a box that I no longer display out, but that's just me being lazy to set them up, the cabinet has plenty of space.

Although I usually go to my local library to draft up some mecha so I'm pretty sure that disqualifies me from any remaining claims to hiding.
>>
I'm too poorfag to buy merch that isn't the occasional gunpla or fig so I don't really have to worry about it. Besides, I help out with my local library's anime club so any pretense of hiding it is gone.
>>
>>13552970
>hiding your /m/ power level
HA
it's like trying to hide your handsome face
>>
I don't hide my power level, but I don't have any reason to bring it up when it's not relevant to the conversation either.

At most, any passenger in my car would have to listen to some /m/-related tunes.
>>
File: mtmmissioncontrola.jpg (204 KB, 999x994) Image search: [Google]
mtmmissioncontrola.jpg
204 KB, 999x994
Not particularly, but I keep it sfw since my work area is on display for the public.
I've got a bobble head of Giroro from Sgt Keroro Gunsou Frog on my desk, and I'm usually on here or /wooo/, sometimes I'll have Gundam BBW going for background noise.

Now that I think about it is the Toonami edit of First floating around online?
>>
I've got a Grimoire and a Dahack model in my office
>>
>>13556907
This. Trying to hide your /m/ powerlevel is harder because the /m/ soul is composed of hot blood and steel.
>>
>>13552970
>>>/soc/
>>
>>13552970
>building gunpla
>while in the car
>an ambulance at that
How
>>
>>13552970

you should replace the ambulance alarm to "char is coming" for shit and giggles.
>>
>>13557309
Clearly he's from the Gunpla Shingyo School.
>>
>>13557322
Why not just paint the ambulance red at that point?
>>
>>13557327
Because it doesn't have a horn.
Oh wait.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.